Paid checkmarks on Twitter roll out in new subscription plan

Posted:
in General Discussion
Twitter has officially rolled out its revamped Twitter Blue subscription, including a verified checkmark for all subscribers.

Twitter Blue
Twitter Blue

Previously, the monthly subscription cost $3.99, but the price has increased to $7.99 under the new leadership of Elon Musk.

Although users pay the company for premium features, it only partially removes advertising. Instead, they can expect to see "half the ads," according to Musk. Other features include editing tweets and the verified badge.

That badge has been a point of contention lately. Initially, it was meant to mark accounts that went through a verification process with Twitter so that users could trust that the account was authentic.

However, Musk wants any Twitter Blue subscriber to receive the badge, whether they are government officials or a bot from a foreign country. He tweeted on Wednesday that "Blue check will be the great leveler," which seems contrary to the pay-to-play model that's been introduced.

Right now, Twitter users have to click on a blue check to see why the user has the denotation. At some point, there may be a more visible way to tell the difference, without a click-through.

The company recently pushed an update for true verified accounts to have a separate gray badge and a label on specific pages that says "Official." Twitter removed the new title for now but may include it for certain Twitter Blue subscribers in the future.

Since Musk acquired Twitter, advertisers have been leaving or pausing their ad campaigns as they reevaluate the company's new leadership. Twitter Blue, along with other ideas, is one way to bolster the company's funding, although time will tell how effective that will be.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,843member
    So anyone with a credit card can now get the Blue “official” checkmark. 
    Oh this keeps getting better and better. 
    ronniOS_Guy80FileMakerFellerAnilu_777OferdewmeAlex_Vwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ronnronn Posts: 669member
    Musty needs to take his medicine and step away from the keyboard.
    Anilu_777OferAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    DAalseth said:
    So anyone with a credit card can now get the Blue “official” checkmark. 
    Oh this keeps getting better and better. 
    Doesn't even need a credit card or any kind of real verifiable information. On iOS, it's an in-app purchase.

It has already been used by new accounts to get the blue check, then they change their name to "Twitter Support" or similar and send out cryptocurrency scams. "Twitter Blue is free for anyone holding Bitcoin! Just visit this site and give it your cryptocurrency wallet credentials to prove you have some!"
    DAalsethdave marshronnstevenozmangakattenFileMakerFellerzigzaglensOferdewmechia
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Yeah, it appears the new blue check mark verified user doesn’t actually verify their identity at all, merely that they paid Twitter a fee.
    ronnstevenoziOS_Guy80FileMakerFellerAnilu_777zigzaglensOferdewmeAlex_Vwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 16
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,081member
    Ha.Ha.Ha…..incredible.
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    So Elon Musk doesn't know what the word "verification" means...
    ronnstevenozFileMakerFellerAnilu_777zigzaglensOferAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I was going to move when he reinstated Trump or if they ignored moderation requests against racists but I quit Twitter when that a hole fired everyone. Now things got way way worse with “Chinese and Russian bots are totally welcome!”

I’m on Tribel now.
    Anilu_777OferronnDAalsethAlex_V
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Well, Twitter is dead.

Or dying at least.

I've personally buried it.

I think I heard Elon still laughing...

OferAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I was going to move when he reinstated Trump or if they ignored moderation requests against racists but I quit Twitter when that a hole fired everyone. Now things got way way worse with “Chinese and Russian bots are totally welcome!”

I’m on Tribel now.
    I’m on both Tribel (still too much politics) and Mastodon (a better mix). Time will tell where I will stay. 
    OferThe_New_tontonAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,217member
    I think Musk is annoying all the right people, but I still don’t feel inclined to join the Twitter sewer.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member

I’m on Tribel now.
    Have you looked at Mastodon?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    I cannot see Elon's Twitter adventure ending well for him... but I'm no expert.
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Let me guess the next step from Muzk.. Blue mark will temporarily dissapear again :-) Muzk want money to compensate his huge loss...
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    It's a fee, in this case "less" ads.

It appears they are attempting to create an iPhone/AirPods effect, where when other users see a blue checkmark they will want one to be part of the click.

Unlike Apple, Twitter is not providing enough value to warrant the cost of be an exclusive member.
    edited November 2022 Alex_Vwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,843member
    iqatedo said:

I’m on Tribel now.
    I keep looking at Mastodon but I haven’t found a server. The site says 4.6k servers are out there, but the ~hundred or so they list on their site haven’t interested me. I’m trying to figure out how to find the rest. 
    edited November 2022 Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,390moderator
    DAalseth said:
    iqatedo said:

I’m on Tribel now.
    I keep looking at Mastodon but I haven’t found a server. The site says 4.6k servers are out there, but the ~hundred or so they list on their site haven’t interested me. I’m trying to figure out how to find the rest. 
    The biggest server is the most like Twitter:

https://mastodon.social/explore

It pulls in comments from other servers so would be the best place to start.

https://mastodon.social/@[email protected]

Every other social media network outside of the top few is going to look like MySpace compared to Facebook though. Just now they have a fraction of the users, 1-2 million at most vs over 300 million on Twitter and it will probably stay that way for a long time. The fact people struggle to figure out how the alternatives work is one reason why. For mass adoption, they have to lower the barrier to entry. Another reason is high profile users/celebrities who want the most followers as they are promoting products and services. Most of them will be staying on Twitter.

Alternatives are also harder to scale because they don't have the investment and hardware to back it up. Mastodon servers were crashing under the load, even at under 1/100th the size of Twitter:

https://www.wired.com/story/twitter-users-mastodon-meltdown/

It seems like Twitter subscriptions to verify users isn't where the high demand is. Usually businesses monetize what's in demand. The demand on Twitter is for people to read high value comments and conversation topics. High value commenters should be verified free and the demand would be for people to pay to view all of their tweets and be able to message them. They could charge tokens/seeds per DM and share revenue with the high profile users and people can buy tokens via IAPs. Their payments/subs can also act as a verification mechanism because bots are much less likely to pay anything.

High value posters can get a gold verify tick (a-list celebrities, big companies, heavily followed/liked commenters etc), maybe silver for politicians/b-list celebs, normal subscribers can get a blue verify tick but won't be mistaken for a high profile user. Non-subscribers would still be able to view content but with more ads, maybe time-delayed tweets.

Twitter is one of those businesses where making money conflicts with their purpose. The aim of the business is to give everyone a part of the conversation but to operate at scale, they need a lot of revenue and they can only make money in ways that make the experience of taking part in the conversation worse.

Twitter revenue was $5b in 2021, $4.5b from ads, net loss of $0.2b. To make a reasonable income like $2b net profit, they'd need around 20m subscribers out of over 300m users. I think that would be easier to do monetizing the demand to read high value comments than the demand to write under a verified profile but it seems attainable one way or another.
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra