Complaining about Apple retail conditions is like 'writing to Santa'

Posted:
in General Discussion
As Apple continues to fight against unionization in Apple Stores, staff reveal how they are being driven to seek union help in what used to be the best job in retail.

Apple Towson in Maryland. Credit: Apple
Apple Towson in Maryland. Credit: Apple

Apple truly changed the face of retail with the original Apple Stores in 2001,

"The center half of the store -- literally half of the store -- is devoted to solutions," said Steve Jobs in a promo video at the time. "Because people don't just want to buy personal computers any more, they want to know what they can do with them."

That focus on the customer rather than pushing products and upselling configurations is what made the Apple Store stand out. And it is now what staff are saying is gone.

Bloomberg interviewed a number of Towson Apple Store staff and was consistently told that the stores had become, as one said, just retail, "BS... it's just crafted in a prettier package."

"When I started with the company," said Kevin Gallagher from the Towson store that recently unionized despite great pressure from Apple, "it felt like the only number that they worried about was your customer service score. [Now] they're looking to milk every last cent out of every square foot."

"It kind of killed my spirit a little bit," Graham DeYoung, a 15-year employee at the Towson store, told the publication. "As a technician, my heart is to fix your shit. That's what I want to do. But what I'm encouraged to do is to say, 'Well, this is what your phone is worth for a trade-in.'"

The Towson store in Maryland reportedly used to have a "giant laminated photo of a tree" in the staff break room, where workers had to put a stick-on label every time they made a sale. The stickers had to include a device serial number so the claim could be checked.

"The tree pushed people to want to upsell," said the same store's Tyra Reeder. "You have to focus on your numbers being perfect."

Apple Towson ultimately unionized after Apple reportedly regularly asked for feedback and allegedly never responded to it. Ideas were "bubbled up" to management and forgotten.

"It's like writing a letter to Santa," said employee Eric Brown. "Pretty much just like an empty slot that leads to a fire pit."

Apple's anti-union measures

Apple is being investigated by the US National Labor Relations Board over allegations of union-busting at at New York store, and Towson staff told Bloomberg how they had seen the same thing.

Mandatory anti-union meetings were held, in which managers echoed senior vice president of retail and human resources Deirdre O'Brien's stance. She has previously said "I worry about what it would mean to put another organization in the middle of our relationship."

Apple Genius Derrick Bowles, who now advises pro-union Apple retail workers, says that managers said the same thing in more blunt ways. "If I have a problem with my wife," Bowles quoted one manager as saying, "I don't go talk to my mistress."

Reportedly, a Black manager cited union racism of the 19th century as a reason to not join. She is said to have touched her skin and said: "[unions] don't care about us."

"We remain committed, as always, to delivering the excellent Apple experience -- for our customers, our team members, and the communities we serve," Apple told Bloomberg. "Our retail and online teams connect with customers to help them get the most out of their products and ensure they receive an unparalleled level of support."

"We're proud to offer our teams exceptional benefits and strong compensation," continued the company, "including new family support and education programs."

Apple recently raised its hourly pay from $20 to $22, following increased moves to unionize. The Towson Store's laminated tree was taken down after that store successfully unionized.

It's not only retail staff who have been complaining about working conditions at Apple, but ex-Apple software engineer Cher Scarlett told Bloomberg that there is a difference. While many software workers have left Apple to find better conditions, she says retail staff have "been experiencing these kinds of issues for a long time, and they want them to be addressed, and they want to stay."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 933member
    I’m still puzzled how the Towson retail sales clerks will be adequately represented by a union of “International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers” as AI previously reported. 

edited November 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    JFC_PA said:
    I’m still puzzled how the Towson retail sales clerks will be adequately represented by a union of “International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers” as AI previously reported. 

It is just like a computer company naming itself after a piece of fruit.
    65c816Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Of course this is what it’s all about.

these people do not want to be judged in performance but instead want participation trophies.

I am glad Apple is freezing hiring and next move should hopefully announce layoffs of the worse performing stores

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    They should go and work at other retail outlets to see how miserable regular retail really is. Before college my son worked at an Apple Store and said the customer facing stuff was hard work with the usual demanding US consumer attitude, but in general it was a great place to work. He also did a stint at a Gap store, and said that sucked 100x worse than working at an Apple Store. Working retail was a big motivation for him to get that CS degree let me tell you!
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    What is disconcerting is that when they stop concerning themselves with good customer service, they become like any other computer company. 

This is when I long for the days of Steve Jobs. 
    FileMakerFellerOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Hedware said:
    JFC_PA said:

It is just like a computer company naming itself after a piece of fruit.
    Nope, wait until the Aerospace and Machinists get their increased dues next year because these morons are spending millions fighting Apple legal because they don’t understand Union rules 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mac_dog said:
    What is disconcerting is that when they stop concerning themselves with good customer service, they become like any other computer company. 

Steve Jobs got in fights with every single person he came across and ran Apple into the ground in the 90s. 

Massive credit to him for iPhone and ipad but how often have we seen good ideas with nobody to sell it ?

thank you Tim Cook 
    edited November 2022 Oferwatto_cobramacxpress
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Madbum said:
    mac_dog said:

Steve Jobs got in fights with every single person he came across and ran Apple into the ground in the 90s. 

Massive credit to him for iPhone and ipad but how often have we seen good ideas with nobody to sell it ?

thank you Tim Cook 
    Only problem with this statement is that Steve resigned from Apple in 1985 and wasn’t around for the majority of the 90’s.  As someone who remembers the fragmented product lines (Performa, Quadra, Centris, Mac II Series, PowerMac, etc.) of the 90’s I was glad when Steve came back and cleaned house.

Personally I feel like the Apple product lineup of today is starting to become almost as bloated as the one back then. Will I continue to buy products sure, do I wish for a more streamlined product lineup absolutely!

Walked into my local Apple Store yesterday to inquire about having the back glass on my iPhone 13 Pro Max replaced and I asked the three workers standing in the front of the store if under AppleCare they would only replace the glass (my preferred option) or if they would replace the whole device.  Out of the three none could answer for sure.  What you used to get in Apple Stores was knowledgeable salespeople that loved the products as much if not more than we did.  I’m not sure how unionized workers change that mentality and dynamic but I’d love to see the change.
    get seriousFileMakerFellerOferwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I worked Apple Retail from '07 until recently after working 20+ years in other places both retail and non-retail. Apple's retail challenges lie with the lack of investment in store leadership training. Way back retail grew so fast a new hire could be a key holder in months. Then as Gap and other retailers collapsed in 2008-2009 Gaposis took over. Instead of hiring from within, store leaders were wedged in front of deserving employees. Nothing worse than long time dedicated employees having to train store managers in both Apple Culture and Apple technologies. Then Ron Johnson moved on and Cook was interim VP of retail for two years. And number counting began in ernest. Tim hired Browett, which was a complete HR disaster. Then Angela came along with the reimagining. 
    Since the battery replacement program corporate has begun to appreciate what retail can do. Higher pay, benefits for part time workers, more restricted stock grants, leave and vacation increases, tuition reimbursement. Heck paying every retail employee to stay home through out the pandemic. Including paying part timers their average from the holiday quarter.
    The friction is middle managers. They are the ones putting up the upsell tree and jacking the antiunion messaging. Most have never had a management course and especially the old school Ron Johnson/Steve Jobs retail messaging. There are still people in Apple Retail that, as Steve would say, "bleed in Six Colors" we'll see if Dierdre can remember those days.
    FileMakerFellerOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member
    I think the Apple store experience really started going downhill when they hired Angela Ahrendts to run retail.  I loved going into those stores - many times I was not even interested in buying anything.  They always had classes in various software programs or subjects and at times I would just sit there and watch, maybe even learn something.  I miss those years.  Now it's all about the iPhone - not a bad thing - but the Apple stores really felt like a part of the community.  It's just a typical retail store now to me.  I hardly ever go there now.  Sad.
    FileMakerFellersnookieOferwatto_cobramacxpress
  • Reply 11 of 15
    JFC_PA said:

It's not complicated unless you are being purposely obtuse.  Which you are.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    As always the Apple suck ups are here.  Just because you like their products doesn't mean you also have to contort yourself to like their morals or lack thereof.  Try to be more secure in your purchases than that.
    Then you get the Jobs this and the Jobs that from people who clearly don't know anything about the man.  Yet they blabber the most about him.
    edited November 2022 Ofer
  • Reply 13 of 15
    My local Apple Store is swamped all the time and it can take a long time to get anything repaired.  Walk ins get no service at all.   I can only imagine how stressful working there is for those facing irate shoppers.  Apple just refuses to add another store in the area so it’s no surprise that some store employees are trying to find a way to impact their working conditions.   
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I remember applying to an Apple Store a few times. The management who actually spoke to applicants were incompetent. One kept trying to use the keynote remote app, but her son kept calling her and kicking her out of the app. One manager said before she got hired her only experience with Macs was working for the cosmetic company MAC. 

I think for a lot of customers it’s still a cool place to go. But those store employees deal with so much, and it feels like Apple is often more than happy to hire complete morons who know nothing about technology because they think they’ll be good managers. I suspect a lot of this is coming from the fact that the people at the top of Apple’s retail and customer service decisions aren’t designers, they’re not engineers. 

Both on the phones and in stores the people helping Apple’s customers deal with a lot of abusive garbage people especially since the start of the pandemic. A lot are entitled, and in many cases store employees are taking on a lot of stress from dealing with problematic customers and they’re not really reaping meaningful benefits beyond wages that really don’t pay the bills for them. 

Apple needs to realize that they didn’t have to deal with employees wanting to unionize before because they were better jobs before. There are lots of things that Apple could do to reinvest in their employees. Even things as simple as auditing customer feedback and ensure that if someone is being rated by a customer that the customer’s feedback has anything to do with the person who’s pay or even employment status may be effected by it.

Honestly if the various Apple senior execs just tried doing the jobs of these workers they take for granted and assume are easily replaceable. Suddenly a lot of things would change. They’d push like crazy for better working conditions at the store, and they’d completely rework things for people on the phones if they actually experienced the world their employees live in every day. 
    Ofer
  • Reply 15 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,815member
    sflocal said:
    I think the Apple store experience really started going downhill when they hired Angela Ahrendts to run retail.  I loved going into those stores - many times I was not even interested in buying anything.  They always had classes in various software programs or subjects and at times I would just sit there and watch, maybe even learn something.  I miss those years.  Now it's all about the iPhone - not a bad thing - but the Apple stores really felt like a part of the community.  It's just a typical retail store now to me.  I hardly ever go there now.  Sad.
    Same here...I really only stop into one to check out a new/updated Apple product, play with it for a bit and then leave. Like you said, the primary reason for the store now is to sell iPhones with everything else as secondary. 

Part of the issue I think is they're just too successful now so there's not enough room to do what they used to be able to do. There's no room for a class to be held in one let alone the noise from the store itself over top of a speaker in the class. There's no true genius bar anymore. You just meet a person at a table who is trying to fix 5 other people's issues at the same time so you really never feel any true attention to your issue. 

My store is usually absolutely packed with people so it's just a pain in the ass even being in there. They really need a larger location.