iPhone 15 Pro rumored to get Thunderbolt connectivity

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 34
    Anyone know what the USB-C bandwidth speeds of Android phones are?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,569administrator
    DangDave said:
    Ming-Chi Kuo did not suggest that any iPhone 15 would have Thunderbolt. Only SS (Super Speed), which is much cheaper. (5/7)
My latest survey indicates all 2H23 new iPhones will abandon Lightning and change to USB-C, but only two high-end models (15 Pro & 15 Pro Max) will support the wired high-speed transfer, and the two standard ones (15 & 15 15 Plus) still support USB 2.0 same as Lightning. — 郭明錤 (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo) November 17, 2022
    He absolutely did, read the next tweet in the chain. Says right there:


    edited November 2022 racoleman29watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    jbtuckr said:
    I hope this isn’t true. Just with iPads, we have to replace the USB-C ports 2-3x more often than on iPads with the lightning port. Lightning is so much more durable, which is especially important in phones 
    I’ve found Lightning cables to be quite fragile.
    I too have found the cables themselves quite fragile, but the connecter and port itself reliable. I have a 2016 MacBook Pro with loose TB 3 ports all the way around, and the slightest tension on an attached TB cable causes then to pop out. Not a robust design, IMO.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 34
    lkrupp said:
    This rumor seems highly unlikely. Very few people use a cable to transfer anything from a phone. They really only use lighting or usb-c for charging. It seems like an expanse that is only needed by such a small minority of users.  It seems more likely that iPhone 15 goes completely wireless charging. 
    Yes, absolutely, it’s the so-called power users that are ruining it for the majority of us. I read an opinion piece the other day lamenting how the iPad has been ruined by the constant drumbeat to turn it into a touch-screen Mac, even demanding it run macOS. Steve Jobs introduced it as a device for media consumption and casual web browsing, email. Almost immediately the power users started in on it and look at it today, a complicated mess that the casual user finds anathema. Split-screen, multi-user, multi-tasking, all features you don’t need while watching a movie on your flight to grandma’s house. And at the prices you might just as well buy a MacBook Air and be done with it. 
    Are you referring to this:  

    That said, devices that support touch-screen and Pencils shouldn't just be relegated to mass market devices.  Power users enjoy those features as well.  I realize this is an Apple-focused form but that's one of the things I enjoy about Win11 => it can adapt to multiple form factors (tablet, laptop, desktop) and multiple input devices (touch, stylus, KB, mouse, trackpad).  All a user has to do is choose the form factor and features that suit them the best.  And if they happen to choose multiple devices no loss of functionality occurs from one device to the next.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 34

    He's also guessing that the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max will be at least the 20 gigabit per second USB 3.2 and possibly the 40 gigabit per second Thunderbolt 3.


    Mike — USB 3.2 Gen1 is 5Gbps. USB 3.2 Gen2 is 10Gb/s. USB 3.2 Gen2x2 is 20Gb/s. The latter is not supported on Macs currently. I feel like it’d be weird to add support for that on future devices versus USB4/Thunderbolt. But even 5Gbps USB would be a marked improvement for transferring video and the like over USB 2.0 speeds!
    edited November 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 34
    The silliest notion is Apple moving to USB-C means that every device will transmit at full USB-C speeds. I think higher speeds will also depend upon how much storage the phone uses. The pros who do video need higher speeds. I’m surprised they haven’t complained about the slow speeds more. Regular people are fine with the USB-2 or WiFi speeds. I can’t remember the last time I plugged my phone in to the computer. 
    The people shooting 4K ProRes video absolutely are complaining about it. 
    edited November 2022 Fidonet127williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 34
    lkrupp said:
    This rumor seems highly unlikely. Very few people use a cable to transfer anything from a phone. They really only use lighting or usb-c for charging. It seems like an expanse that is only needed by such a small minority of users.  It seems more likely that iPhone 15 goes completely wireless charging. 
    Yes, absolutely, it’s the so-called power users that are ruining it for the majority of us. I read an opinion piece the other day lamenting how the iPad has been ruined by the constant drumbeat to turn it into a touch-screen Mac, even demanding it run macOS. Steve Jobs introduced it as a device for media consumption and casual web browsing, email. Almost immediately the power users started in on it and look at it today, a complicated mess that the casual user finds anathema. Split-screen, multi-user, multi-tasking, all features you don’t need while watching a movie on your flight to grandma’s house. And at the prices you might just as well buy a MacBook Air and be done with it. 
    Is there anything you won’t complain about? Imagine being upset that you’re getting a modern port on a modern device just because you won’t use that feature. 

    iPads can be used just as simply as they could before, nobody has to use multitasking features. There is no multi-user support, so, huh? This must be why I see so many upset people on their flights to grandma’s house: watching movies on their iPad is TOO HARD. Gimme a break. 
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    I push the BS button on this one. Thunderbolt chips are expensive. Thunderbolt is over-kill.  Take a look at the cost of external USB-C drives vs Thunderbolt drives if you want an idea.
    If you want to drive up the cost of iPhones excessively, then go right ahead and put Thunderbolt in them.

    USB-C as a connector and USB 3.2 Gen 2, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 or USB 4 are much more appropriate for these devices. 
    It's also rumored the highest end model will support 8K video recording. I could see Thunderbolt being necessary with 8K recording. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 34
    thedbathedba Posts: 690member
    hmlongco said:
    Umm... keep in mind that the EU law pertains to devices with ports. I suspect that Apple might just use USB-C/Thunderbolt on the Pro models and ditch the sucker entirely on the standard models, going with wireless charging only.
    Traditionally Apple when making drastic changes, such as a portless iPhone, it's the Pro models that get it first.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 34
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,716member
    elliots11 said:
    Why limit the standard phones to USB 2 speeds? At least go to USB 3. That seems punitive and unnecessary. If Thunderbolt is more expensive then ok, but don’t handicap the standard phone. 
    Agreed. TB is overkill for iPhones. We've been dealing with USB 2 speeds forever and no one is complaining. USB 3.2 can give over 2 GB/sec, a 5x improvement. That should be more than adequate while saving expense and technical complexity.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 34
    To address @jbtuckr 's concerns... the connectors can always be made more durable.  The iPad Pro's and Mini's with USB-C were Apple's first attempt with the connector on a mobile device, and the repair incidents probably helped Apple redesign and reinforce the connector so this doesn't happen on future models.  

    As for going to Thunderbolt 3, it's likely that Apple wants to create a 'best in class' experience first on Apple devices.  Certainly, if you have a PC or just a USB-C cable, the device will technically communicate, but the experience of moving data will be less than optimal.  Now connect your iPhone or iPad to a Mac via Thunderbolt 3 @ 40 Gbps, and suddenly you can move large movie recordings at blistering speeds.  Thunderbolt is a selling point for Mac; the inclusion of TB3 on the mobile device could spur a Windows-based content creator to switch to Mac for that extra speed and the overall platform experience.  The Thunderbolt connector would still fall back to USB-C behavior and thus technically be in compliance with the new European laws.  It's a win for everyone.
    edited November 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 34
    neo-tech said:
    jbtuckr said:
    I hope this isn’t true. Just with iPads, we have to replace the USB-C ports 2-3x more often than on iPads with the lightning port. Lightning is so much more durable, which is especially important in phones 
    I’ve found Lightning cables to be quite fragile.
    I too have found the cables themselves quite fragile, but the connecter and port itself reliable. I have a 2016 MacBook Pro with loose TB 3 ports all the way around, and the slightest tension on an attached TB cable causes then to pop out. Not a robust design, IMO.
    Both lightning and USB-C it depends on the quality of the cable more than the connector.

    Only use the best cables. Apple's are the best for lightning, no other lightning cables really work well long term. For USB-C Apple's are top, followed by some others.

    I only use the best because it's a $1500 device, and destroying the charging port can brick it. So only use the best chargers and cables. I never had a problem. 

    People who fry their phones usually do so with 3rd party chargers (dirty electricity more often than not) and 3rd party cables (mechanically not sound)
  • Reply 33 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,335member
    A big problem with cables is that a vast number of Apple labeled cables are fake, as shown by a large buy of cables, chargers and other accessory devices bearing the Apple name on Amazon. They found that 90% of those were fakes. Perhaps people buying Apple be]ranked accessories on Amazon and some other sellers are really buying cheap,y made fakes. I only buy Apple accessories from Apple’s site or store app. 

    Sometimes you get less than you’re bargaining for when you think you’re getting some discount. My Apple branded cables have held up pretty well.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    thedba said:
    hmlongco said:
    Umm... keep in mind that the EU law pertains to devices with ports. I suspect that Apple might just use USB-C/Thunderbolt on the Pro models and ditch the sucker entirely on the standard models, going with wireless charging only.
    Traditionally Apple when making drastic changes, such as a portless iPhone, it's the Pro models that get it first.
    Except the Pro models need the port (or something like it) to pull that 4K video off the "Pro" phone. So, like the Mac Pro, the Pro phone could in fact have more ports than the non-pro version. (One being more than zero.) ;)
Sign In or Register to comment.