Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 252
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Yeah, and someone should delete the thread, as there is already and old one about 28th.
  • Reply 62 of 252
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Oops, s/b APRIL

I started a new thread because the other one was getting long in the tooth.

Mods pleased fix or delete.
  • Reply 63 of 252
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Got a week to get some APPL, I wonder if there's still hope for the Vivendi deal, if it happened and this is the roll out party.

Can we look for APPL to plummet in the next week?
  • Reply 64 of 252
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    For what it's worth, MacsRGood4U can keep the word "CONFIRMED" in his title: MacCentral just broke the news this morning:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...21/appleevent/
  • Reply 65 of 252
    Here are my predictions.

music downlaod:

0,99$ per song.

10% ona full CD.

Possibility to create your own CD mix (you choose the song) ship to your home with a personnalize labels on the case and the CD itself as with the Photo album.

You can burn from a Mac to a CD or transfert to your iPod. The file is digitally mark with your email so that they can track it if you let people copy it. SO multiple copy for you but your name is on it.

If you are a .mac member you can put your image on the jewel case and CD.

Available for PC at the same price except for the cd mix part using the same software that the PC ipod is using or a joint venture with all 5 majors to offer the service to the PC part of the world by way of a web service .

New iPod with USB 2 (for those using PC), craddle, better pricing ratio per gig.

No Universal deal.
  • Reply 66 of 252
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Besides buying songs for $.99, I would like to see a service where you pay a monthly fee to have access to the five labels' back catalog (streaming only).
  • Reply 67 of 252
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Could you imagine if apple had all the major recording labels on this, personal CD's, downloads for $.99, and PC compatibility, and some type of copy protection/tracking stuff.

They would hold the recording industry by a leash! Everyone else would surrender- all those other crappy music services that don't support the mac and only have a few labels.

Could this be the start of apple's domination? I think so!
  • Reply 68 of 252
    Apple will supposedly announce deal with the Big 4 (Universal, BMG, EMI-Capitol, Sony) major labels to offer music product via web, new iPods and new iTunes software update. This has nothing to do with Universal deal, which won't happen (if it ever does) until May or June.
  • Reply 69 of 252
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rampancy

For what it's worth, MacsRGood4U can keep the word "CONFIRMED" in his title: MacCentral just broke the news this morning:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...21/appleevent/

It's the 'August' part of his title that needs to change
  • Reply 70 of 252
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Apple will supposedly announce deal with the Big 4 (Universal, BMG, EMI-Capitol, Sony) major labels to offer music product via web, new iPods and new iTunes software update. This has nothing to do with Universal deal, which won't happen (if it ever does) until May or June.

Man, AAC support in iTunes 4 along with a Apple download service, and to top it off, NEW iPODS!!!!!!!

Man, too bad I will be in school that day, why couldn't it have been today? Then I could experience it....

well, any who, need to get some more ink for my pritner so I can print out all those new specs for the products.... man,,, i need to get a life, or at least do some work!
  • Reply 71 of 252
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Apple will supposedly announce deal with the Big 4 (Universal, BMG, EMI-Capitol, Sony)

It's the Big 5 - you forgot AOL Time Warner.
  • Reply 72 of 252
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Amazing how easy it is to forget AOL Time Warner.

Threads merged. Carry on. 8)
  • Reply 73 of 252
    Yes. AOL-Time Warner will be there as well.
  • Reply 74 of 252
    Think Secret reports possible demos of the new iPods and music service starting at 6 PM on Friday May 2 at your local Apple Store.

also:

Apple tunes up for music pitch

Ian Fried, Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Apple Computer has scheduled a media event for April 28, an occasion the company may use to debut a new online music service that has been in the works.

An invitation to the event promises announcements that "will be music to your ears." The event could serve as a launching point for a new digital music service that Apple has been working on for some time. The company also may launch new iPods, replacing the current generation of the digital music player which has grown increasingly scarce on store shelves.

There has been much talk of Apple and music of late, including speculation that the company has been in talks with Vivendi Universal to buy Vivendi's music business. Last week, Apple issued a statement saying that it has not made an offer for any record companies, although the company did not address whether it has been in talks with any of the major record labels.

An Apple representative declined to comment further.

Needham analyst Charles Wolf said the event is likely to bring both new iPods and the music service.

"Apple's worst-kept secret has been its downloaded music service," said Wolf, who owns Apple shares and rates the company's stock a "hold".

If Apple does launch the music service, it will be the first legal download service that offers content from the major record labels and is available for the Macintosh. Apple has found itself excluded from the initial music and movie download services.

As for the iPod, the 5GB model has been out of stock for months, while other models have been growing increasingly scarce of late. Apple's online store has been listing a wait time of seven to 10 days for all iPod models, pushing their delivery date until after the scheduled April 28 event.
  • Reply 75 of 252
    Something to keep in mind while thinking about the pricing for Apple's new music service (assuming it comes to pass): we're talking about Apple. Apple has a way of pricing products at just that magic level where they are ceertainly viable but won't ever become market-dominating.

After years of following Apple's products, it has become clear to me that they like to ensure that only a small fraction of a given market will be interested in anything they offer. I won't even try to speculate on why this is. Maybe there's some logic to it - I don't care.

So... apply this Apple pricing system to possible AMS pricing...

How about 99 cents per track with no membership fee? No way. Not gonna happen. Much too reasonable. I'd go for that without a second thought, and would probably never buy another CD in my life. I have a feeling that a lot of other people would have this same reaction to that pricing - too many people for Apple's liking.

I think a membership fee is a must. That'll chop their market at least in half, right there. The problem is, since this is going to be, pretty much, the first such service, Apple is going to have to try extra hard to get down to that magic market-share level. The pricing per track will have to really give potential customers pause. I'm thinking at least $1.99 per track. In my mind, this means I'll probably never use the service, but I know that some people will.

Yeah, cynical.
  • Reply 76 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

How about 99 cents per track with no membership fee? No way. Not gonna happen.

I think it is definitely a possibility for .mac members... maybe more for non-members.

Hope springs eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 77 of 252
    i think it would be a good idea to have a couple of different "plans". Like 99 cents a track for casual downloaders and a susbscription based plan for people who want to use it alot. It has to wind up being cheaper that buying the music on cd at the store, otherwise it just wont work, duh. The record companies will not jump on board if the service is geared to having a small percentage of users use it, everyone who has a computer and likes music needs to use it. And the record companies arent gonna find out anything new on the 28th, if they are comming to this thing they have already signed on. This whole thing goes beyond the macintosh it's like a separate entity that will also help promote apple.
  • Reply 78 of 252
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    by spotcatbug

Quote:

After years of following Apple's products, it has become clear to me that they like to ensure that only a small fraction of a given market will be interested in anything they offer. I won't even try to speculate on why this is. Maybe there's some logic to it - I don't care.

While this could be true for things they make, (nmo) I don't see that being the case here. They are more of a conduit, a way of accessing music with this service.

You could pessimistically assume that if this service gets really popular that they couldn't meet demand for the iPod. But regular downloading to your computer will be easy money for Apple.

I am wondering if part of the service includes ordering CD's with custom images how will this be handled, distributed. Will we be able to get lyrics printed, included? Now that could get busy as well.

In any case, I am looking forward to the 28th.
  • Reply 79 of 252
    )
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I am wondering if part of the service includes ordering CD's with custom images how will this be handled, distributed. Will we be able to get lyrics printed, included? Now that could get busy as well.

At least for what you would download I'm thinking it would be kinda neat if that was intergrated into the new itunes where you have an album or select a track and there would be spots for the cover art and inserts, links to info on the band etc. I wouldnt really care, but other people might really like that.

As far as ordering the cd's i think apple would want another company to be in charge of this, apple wouldnt be able to handle it. You would see news stories months later, "users of apple's new amazing ( ) music service that chose to order their music on cd's are waiting months for them"
  • Reply 80 of 252
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    This post is about the alleged downloadable music offering.

We shouldn't forget that an online music service requires its songs to be highly compressed in order to become technically feasable (think bandwidth). In other words, we are talking MP3s or MP4s or AACs or whatever. Certainly, imho, not an exact replica from the original CD, whichever the compression method.

Some may argue that audio differences between an original CD track and a high quality compressed MP# file are negligible, yet others just see this as a convenient, portable and easy to organize audio format, albeit longing for the RealThing?.

My point is about price per track/album. Although there will always be some tradeoffs between quality and convenience, I don't think this offering should be even close in price to buying the original CD. While being able to purchase just a few songs (the ones we really like) is quite desirable, the sum of per track costs from an album should be well below the real CD price. In fact, I think this *confirmed* service will promote whole albums downloads at an even more attractive pricing over individual tracks, just so that all the musicians, producers, etc... involved with such album can get a piece of the sale.

If my logic is correct, we should expect variable pricing per track/album. Maybe tracks from $0.75 to $1.25 and whole albums from $7.00 to $12.00.

I also think that .Mac members will get additional benefits over non-members. Those who thought $100 ($50) per year was too much, will start getting their money's worth. Think no sign up fees, volume discounts, early access to new albums, etc... perhaps even a couple of really cheap (inexpensive or even free) tracks from a special selection per month, just for being a .Mac member. I see iDisk special goodies soon.

And one more thing... a revamped iPod with sleeker controls, bigger hd, higher resolution screen... ever so slowly moving towards having video capabilities in the not so distant future...

8)