Apple Car can be a success without a wow factor

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited December 2022
The long-rumored Apple-built car is inching closer to reality with a target date of 2026. But it might not be as fancy as you expect.

Future of Apple CarPlay
The future of Apple's CarPlay.

It's easy to let our imaginations run wild with speculation about what "Project Titan" could be, but it really only needs to integrate most of Apple's current technology for it to be a success. Tesla has shown that people are willing to go electric for the right combination of performance, technology, and price.

As long as Apple keeps the price of each vehicle under $100,000 (possibly closer to $50,000) and pushes the convenience of driving and maintenance as the main selling points, the company has a chance to make a serious dent in the automotive market.

Being able to track your car, remotely view its cameras, set speed limits, and even move it, all from its mobile app are features Tesla owners already enjoy. Apple could match those abilities and still make owning a car even less of a headache by adding features it already has across its product line.

Let's look at all the pieces of hardware and software currently on the table and see how those things make what Apple could offer to make most other vehicles on the road seem antiquated.

Siri

Siri will be a significant feature of any Apple-designed car, whether or not it is the centerpiece of it. Surprisingly, there are still no good voice assistants in cars in 2022. Even in a Tesla, voice commands feel rudimentary.

Relying on Siri while traveling at 70 miles per hour may not instill a lot of confidence, but we're willing to bet it works better than most other options on the market right now.

Our hope is that Siri can handle every car-related task: Roll down the windows; close the trunk; raise the third row of seats; turn off the seat heater in 10 minutes, and so on. You shouldn't need to use Siri to do all those things, but it would be nice if you could.

Apple's car may even be the genesis for why the company may want to simplify the voice assistant's wake word and get rid of the "hey."

CarPlay

Apple has already shown off its future plans for CarPlay. In the demo, the feature extended beyond the infotainment unit and stretched across the dashboard screens. It even replaced all the gauges.

It's clear Apple is building this new version of CarPlay for itself. The company has said, however, that other manufacturers can adopt it and fit it to their needs.

No one should be surprised when the inside of Apple's car resembles some form of this initial 2023-slated design.

It's anyone's guess as to whether it will work well on the road, but the controls and various widgets of information all looked nice.

CarKey (and Home Key)

Unlocking your future Apple Car with your iPhone is a given. Tesla has been doing this at scale since at least 2017. The Bluetooth method Tesla uses for its cars works fine, but it can be annoying to connect digital keys in the same household.

You can use CarKey on an iPhone to unlock some vehicles.
You can use CarKey on an iPhone to unlock some vehicles.

Apple's CarKey should make using and sharing digital keys much easier. CarKey is still in the early stages and is mostly used with BMW cars, but the similar Home Key technology gives us a glimpse of the car experience.

Home Key has become more common over 2022. We've used several Home Key locks and, frankly, it's been great to use from Apple Wallet on the Apple Watch or iPhone.

Apple Maps

Five years ago Apple Maps was a joke. Today, it's pretty good. It's certainly worthy of being displayed proudly on a large screen in a car.

Lately, with new 3D buildings and routing features, it seems that Apple is continuing to refine the mapping experience for much better navigation. Maps can even plan a route with EV charging in mind.

HomeKit

HomeKit may not seem connected to a car, at first, but charging a vehicle could be integrated into the Home app to handle a vehicle's connection to your electrical grid.

Similarly, there may be opportunities to show camera alerts from an Apple Car on your Apple TV while you're watching, if the vehicle detects a threat or tampering.

Self-driving

At one time Apple's car was rumored to be fully autonomous, even going as far as to not include a steering wheel. That seemed silly at the time and apparently, that's no longer the case.

The latest information suggests Apple's vehicle will be capable of performing similar autonomous driving as some other manufacturers and mostly while on the highways.

Frankly, we don't think that piece of the puzzle is completely necessary to wow consumers.

More important is how Apple blends all its current technology together to create a seamless and cohesive driving experience. In the same way, it's easy to imagine an Apple VR headset before it's released-- because all the parts are already there (spatial audio, avatars, collaborative media, and more).

Even more practically, the AirPods Max demonstrate how Apple didn't need to revolutionize a market to enter it and make a dent. The company just needed to put its hardware and software pieces together to create something worthy of a premium price.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    I plan on buying one more ICE vehicle so my first BEV likely won't happen for maybe 20 years or so. I'll be curious where Apple will be at that point. I'm a little skeptical right now. Consumer Reports says that Teslas are quite unreliable. I totally get that Apple products are highly reliable but they have never built a car before. I guess we'll see what happens.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    I plan on buying one more ICE vehicle so my first BEV likely won't happen for maybe 20 years or so. I'll be curious where Apple will be at that point. I'm a little skeptical right now. Consumer Reports says that Teslas are quite unreliable. I totally get that Apple products are highly reliable but they have never built a car before. I guess we'll see what happens.
    consumer reports takes money from ford and others. tesla's cars coming out of their new factories in shanghai, berlin and austin are very reliable. less so their cars coming out of their Fremont factory, but they're improving.
    JWSC
  • Reply 3 of 39
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    No just self-driving but driver-less in the car could be configure with seating assuming everyone is a passenger. 

That would sure be a Wow factor but I'd think it was 3-5 years off. Maybe that is Apple second gen after showing how they can meet and beat the expectations of the space it'll be time to take the gloves off and remake it. 
  • Reply 4 of 39
    byronl said:
    consumer reports takes money from ford and others. tesla's cars coming out of their new factories in shanghai, berlin and austin are very reliable. less so their cars coming out of their Fremont factory, but they're improving.
    Well Consumers Reports says that they don’t take corporate money. I know that they don’t accept advertising and I know that they buy products anonymously just like any ordinary customer. I don’t necessarily trust their reviews but I take their reviews into strong consideration. I think they give overly harsh reviews of Apple products because they are trying to help Android. I know that in the beginning of the 3DTV era, they were pushing that technology. So I do understand that they are not perfect.
    danoxAlex_V
  • Reply 5 of 39
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I’ll be in the market for an EV, but this looks like it’ll be way out of my budget. 
    edited December 2022
  • Reply 6 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,699member
    DAalseth said:
    I’ll be in the market for an EV, but this looks like it’ll be way out of my budget. 
    My sister-in-law has had a 100% electric ioniq for the last five years and loves it. The ioniq 6 is now getting rave reviews. 
    DAalsethravnorodomAniMillzoetmb
  • Reply 7 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,699member
    Integration with other devices us definitely a plus on the 'digital' side of things but most of the characteristics mentioned here are already shipping on some cars today:

https://www.gsmarena.com/aito_m5_harmonyos_system_quick_review-news-54285.php

By the time 2026 comes around things will have advanced a lot. 
  • Reply 8 of 39
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    JP234 said:
    This will go down as the second costliest mistake Apple Inc. ever made. Only the firing of Steve Jobs was worse. History has not been kind to automakers, not even great ones like Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg, Packard and Studebaker. Or even large ones like American Motors. Or Chrysler, whose history of bankruptcies, bailouts and buyouts is so littered it's impossible to keep track of them all (the current owner, Stellantis, just announced the closing of the Belvidere assembly plant, which makes Jeeps, laying off about 1,300 workers. Merry Christmas, at least they're giving the required 90 days notice, so workers can sabotage Jeeps on the line for the next 3 months). Why does Apple believe that they can start up a car company from scratch??? Why would ANYONE want to start a car company? Money can't assure success in this field. Heavy manufacturing is NOT the same as technology manufacturing.

If it happens, that is. Not sure the board will approve this venture when they get a true cost analysis.
    Or so they said about the cell phone industry (Nokia, Blackberry, Erickson, etc etc) before Apple entered it.

I don’t think Apple will do their own automobile manufacturing, have they ever made any of their products in recent memory?  Think Foxconn and their other assembly manufacturers at present.  LG or another Asian manufacturing behemoth seems like a likely partner in my mind.

Tesla is starting to show its age and weaknesses….static design, poor build quality, a suck of corporate profits into Elon’s wealth and especially the long-standing beta-project known as AutoPilot…a combined class action lawsuit and FTC fine waiting to happen, not to mention Elon’s toxicity in general which alienates employees and customers.
    9secondkox2welshdogukrunrskippingrock
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Is there going to be a PRO version?  

And where are these cars going to be built?  They need factories if they're actually doing this.  

Is there any documents on factory acquisitions?  Or construction?
  • Reply 10 of 39
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    DAalseth said:

Model 3 cheapest.    Not cheap but fit and finish is. Price 56,000.  20,000 down at 3% over 5 years  (647 per month or 476 over 7 years) 

Model 3 grand slam  Not cheap but fit and finish is. Price 81,000.  20,000 down at 3% over 5 years  (1096 per month or 806 over 7 years)
           https://www.toyota.com/prius/  Price, range (615 miles), fit, and finish, and paint better……by far. Price 28,000.  10,000 down at 3% over 5 years  (323 per month) Invest    

the difference and be far ahead.

None include tax and license or car insurance which is more on a Tesla….
    edited December 2022
  • Reply 11 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    byronl said:
    consumer reports takes money from ford and others. 
    Ummm... No they don't.
    muthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 12 of 39
    JP234 said:
    gatorguy said:
    byronl said:
    consumer reports takes money from ford and others. 
    Ummm... No they don't.
    Ummm… yes they do. A large portion of their revenue comes from non-profit donations, and their largest donor is the Ford Foundation.
     Note: As the Ford Foundation says on its website, it is not connected to the Ford Motor Company. They are two separate and legally unrelated entities.” - https://consumerreports.org/cro/about-us/our-partners/philanthropic-partners/index.htm
    welshdogbeowulfschmidtgatorguy
  • Reply 13 of 39
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    badmonk said:
    JP234 said:
    This will go down as the second costliest mistake Apple Inc. ever made. Only the firing of Steve Jobs was worse. History has not been kind to automakers, not even great ones like Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg, Packard and Studebaker. Or even large ones like American Motors. Or Chrysler, whose history of bankruptcies, bailouts and buyouts is so littered it's impossible to keep track of them all (the current owner, Stellantis, just announced the closing of the Belvidere assembly plant, which makes Jeeps, laying off about 1,300 workers. Merry Christmas, at least they're giving the required 90 days notice, so workers can sabotage Jeeps on the line for the next 3 months). Why does Apple believe that they can start up a car company from scratch??? Why would ANYONE want to start a car company? Money can't assure success in this field. Heavy manufacturing is NOT the same as technology manufacturing.

If it happens, that is. Not sure the board will approve this venture when they get a true cost analysis.
    Or so they said about the cell phone industry (Nokia, Blackberry, Erickson, etc etc) before Apple entered it.

I don’t think Apple will do their own automobile manufacturing, have they ever made any of their products in recent memory?  Think Foxconn and their other assembly manufacturers at present.  LG or another Asian manufacturing behemoth seems like a likely partner in my mind.

Tesla is starting to show its age and weaknesses….static design, poor build quality, a suck of corporate profits into Elon’s wealth and especially the long-standing beta-project known as AutoPilot…a combined class action lawsuit and FTC fine waiting to happen, not to mention Elon’s toxicity in general which alienates employees and customers.

avon b7 said:
    DAalseth said:
    My sister-in-law has had a 100% electric ioniq for the last five years and loves it. The ioniq 6 is now getting rave reviews. 
    Removing the internal combustion engine and geared transmission removes most of the problems aligned with starting a car company from scratch. Safety, ride quality, and performance are things apple can afforded to acquire while they focus on the customer interface, processing, connectivity, and customer facing displays. Design and managing build quality is also a strong suit. Apple gives more cash back to investors via buy backs and dividends than Tesla makes each year because they can’t figure out what to do with all the extra profit in a reasonable timeframe. They have bought back 465 Billion Dollars in the last 4 years. That’s more than the total market value of Ford, Toyota, GM and Honda combined, by over 100 Billion Dollars. This is an endeavor they can definitely afford to do and do right. 

blastdoor
  • Reply 14 of 39
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    danox said:
    DAalseth said:

Model 3 cheapest.    Not cheap but fit and finish is. Price 56,000.  20,000 down at 3% over 5 years  (647 per month or 476 over 7 years) 

Model 3 grand slam  Not cheap but fit and finish is. Price 81,000.  20,000 down at 3% over 5 years  (1096 per month or 806 over 7 years)
           https://www.toyota.com/prius/  Price, range (615 miles), fit, and finish, and paint better……by far. Price 28,000.  10,000 down at 3% over 5 years  (323 per month) Invest    

the difference and be far ahead.

None include tax and license or car insurance which is more on a Tesla….
    Though we have a Prius, (two actually, but we’ll drop to one when the one I drive hits 20 years old). Might as well get another 10-15 out of the newer one, rather than updating to an EV soon.  

What I’m really balking at is the price. A Prius at $28-30k, the least expensive EVs start at $50k. They gotta drop by nearly half before I’m even going to look seriously. I had an exchange a while back with someone online (so take this with a huge block of salt). They said that prices were high because the companies were factoring in the maintenance they would not be able to charge for after the sale. Don’t know if that’s at all true, but it wouldn’t surprise me. You look at comparable EVs vs Gas vehicles and there seems to be a massive premium for EV. 
  • Reply 15 of 39
    So long as Apple actually develops personal vehicles (especially in SUV format), I’ll be first in line. 

The only way I wouldn’t is if it’s a glorified cab as some rumors suggest. 

Give me great style, great performance + range, and all of the Apple tech goodness at a mass market price point and I’m in. 

The thing that scares me is that Ford sells its EVs at a loss, Tesla didn’t become profitable for s long time, and Rivian is in big trouble, with crazy financial losses  as people can’t afford their vehicles in enough numbers to scale pricing down. 

Apple has the supply chain that no one else does, the technical acumen no one else does, and the commitment to quality no one else does, so they can solve this. I’m just hoping that the Apple Car is actually a good deal and not the Mac Studio version of price wonky ness. 
    danox
  • Reply 16 of 39
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    byronl said:
    consumer reports takes money from ford and others. tesla's cars coming out of their new factories in shanghai, berlin and austin are very reliable. less so their cars coming out of their Fremont factory, but they're improving

Ummm… yes they do. A large portion of their revenue comes from non-profit donations, and their largest donor is the Ford Foundation.
     Note: As the Ford Foundation says on its website, it is not connected to the Ford Motor Company. They are two separate and legally unrelated entities.” - https://consumerreports.org/cro/about-us/our-partners/philanthropic-partners/index.htm
    Yep, that's what they say, alright. So it must be true!
    They are separate and legally unrelated. This is not a trick, the facts are publicly available. 
    Ford Foundation is not the same as Ford Motor Company. Furthermore, if you guys had bothered to look, Ford as a manufacturer of cars is ranked #22 by Consumer Reports, so not exactly a ringing indictment of some sort of corrupt influence by the Ford Foundation, which is what you were trying to imply.
    If you have evidence of unlawful, or even undue influence, please share.
    muthuk_vanalingamwelshdoggatorguy
  • Reply 17 of 39
    The number of people in this world who know what Apple is truly planning is small, and most of them probably work at Apple. But I will be surprised if Apple actually ever builds its own car. Think they have problems these days with supply chain management, chip shortages, employee unionization efforts, bad press, and the like? Becoming an auto manufacturer is all that multiplied by 1,000. Yes, Apple (currently) has money to burn and could likely afford start-up costs far more easily than other modern EV-maker wannabes like Fisker, Faraday, and others. But should Apple go there?

I think it would be far better for Apple to establish a partnership with one or more respected, well-established automakers. Convince a company like BMW to let Apple design the various driver- and passenger-facing controls inside their cars (certainly the software, if not also the hardware). If and when that proves successful, establish additional partnerships with downmarket brands like Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and/or Chevrolet — brands whose buyers don't usually compete with Apple's initial upmarket partner brands. But let the auto companies retain control over the general mechanical designs and manufacturing of their vehicles. Apple doesn't need to control the whole stack to be successful here in the automotive space — and heaven knows that the designs of user-facing controls and software inside cars desperately need Apple's expertise.

At the very least, if Apple opts to design and build cars all on its own, they should create an all-new brand for it. What none of us needs is for the Apple brand itself to be tarnished by news reports of faulty autonomous-driving software (think Tesla), or for recalls, or for online image galleries to be full of rusty or crashed vehicles with Apple logos within a few years of their first car being sold.
    JWSC
  • Reply 18 of 39
    JP234 said:

Apple doesn't generally create a new product to compete with existing companies' existing products head-to-head, hoping they'll win by doing the same thing everyone else is doing but vaguely better, or by doing exactly the same thing as others, while coasting on the Apple brand. 

No, they've always entered the market with something that may nominally be similar to existing products, but comes at it from a novel direction, and shifts the paradigm, often in pretty significant ways. When rumors precede the release of such a product, the enthusiasts rarely correctly guess what the new thing will actually do, and the naysayers also guess wrong, pontificating how a new Apple product will fail, based on the assumption that it will be same thing everyone else is making, but with an Apple logo on it. They are always wrong. (The iPhone: where's the stylus and keyboard? The iPad: ha, ha! wasn't there an SNL skit about an iPad feminine hygiene product? The App Store: nobody will make money on 99¢ apps. The Apple Watch: everybody already has a clock on their phone and nobody wears a watch any more, unless it's a fitbit, and nobody's going to pay $400 for a fitbit. etc. etc.)

If Apple actually does decide to produce a car, it won't be an Apple-branded version of what everyone else (including Tesla) is already making. It won't be the limited things in the article here that would make it "a success without a wow factor." It will be something different, something that others will say "why didn't we think of that," and a few years later, whatever changes in the paradigm come with it will be assumed by everyone to be how things always were.

Honestly, it continually amazes me how even people who regularly spend time on an Apple enthusiast website don't seem to register that Apple operates differently than its competitors. There is a very repetitious pattern here of people speculating about Apple's impending doom and other people suggesting what Apple should really do, all based on assumptions that Apple operates based on other companies' business models rather than on the very different business model that's made Apple pretty darn successful so far.
    JWSC
  • Reply 19 of 39
    The number of people in this world who know what Apple is truly planning is small, and most of them probably work at Apple. But I will be surprised if Apple actually ever builds its own car. Think they have problems these days with supply chain management, chip shortages, employee unionization efforts, bad press, and the like? Becoming an auto manufacturer is all that multiplied by 1,000. Yes, Apple (currently) has money to burn and could likely afford start-up costs far more easily than other modern EV-maker wannabes like Fisker, Faraday, and others. But should Apple go there?

I think it would be far better for Apple to establish a partnership with one or more respected, well-established automakers. Convince a company like BMW to let Apple design the various driver- and passenger-facing controls inside their cars (certainly the software, if not also the hardware). If and when that proves successful, establish additional partnerships with downmarket brands like Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and/or Chevrolet — brands whose buyers don't usually compete with Apple's initial upmarket partner brands. But let the auto companies retain control over the general mechanical designs and manufacturing of their vehicles. Apple doesn't need to control the whole stack to be successful here in the automotive space — and heaven knows that the designs of user-facing controls and software inside cars desperately need Apple's expertise.

At the very least, if Apple opts to design and build cars all on its own, they should create an all-new brand for it. What none of us needs is for the Apple brand itself to be tarnished by news reports of faulty autonomous-driving software (think Tesla), or for recalls, or for online image galleries to be full of rusty or crashed vehicles with Apple logos within a few years of their first car being sold.
    This is what I'm talking about. Apple is never going to hang its reputation on the design and manufacturing decisions of some other company, and certainly not for something in which their product is deeply integrated. The closest and possibly worst example of this sort of mistake was when they didn't anticipate how integral gps and mapping would be to iOS and the iPhone. Early on, Google maps was the default mapping app on iPhone. Then they realized that a) location and mapping would be at the heart of much of the iPhone's functionality and b) Google uses gps and mapping to scrape and sell its customers' data. So Apple endured the embarrassment of cutting off Google and launching Apple Maps before it was ready. Long-term, cutting off that co-dependent partnership was the right thing for them to do.

They're not going to make a similar-but-worse mistake by playing a subservient role to one or more car manufacturers as some sort of Apple-branded insert into a vehicle designed and built by someone else. They're especially not going to pursue "downmarket brands" for that sort of partnership. Apple is as profitable as they are because they don't pursue low-margin, compromised quality downmarket products. They never, ever do that.
    JWSC
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Who is Apple partnering to build these cars? Kia, Hyundai? No thanks!