Apple releases AirTag firmware update 2.0.36

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has released an update for AirTag with unknown fixes and improvements, bringing the tracker to version 2.0.36.

Apple's AirTag
Apple's AirTag

The AirTag is a quarter-sized tracking device that can be used to find lost items, and isn't updated very often. Apple didn't detail what is available in the latest firmware update, but given history, users can expect unspecified fixes and performance improvements that address known issues.

The new AirTag firmware version is 2.0.36, build number 2A36. This replaces version 1.0.301 and version 2.0.24 on all AirTags in a slow rollout. Apple is updating 25% of the active AirTags on Monday, and the rest on Friday, December 16.

There isn't a manual update mechanism for AirTag, instead users will see the update apply automatically at some point in the coming days. Some users have found that keeping the AirTag close to the parent iPhone while connected to WiFi may induce the update sooner.

You can check the firmware version of your AirTag via the Find My app on your phone. Once in Find My, tap the relevant AirTag, then tap the battery icon for the AirTag -- this will display the serial number and the firmware version.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yeah, well, I call bullshit. My AirTag is still on 1.0..301, never picked up 2.0.24 and that was over a month go that it came out. I did try keeping the AirTag next to my iPhone 13 running iOS 16.1.2 to no avail, still on its original firmware. I even changed the battery.
    edited December 2022
  • Reply 2 of 9
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Re: How much money you save with Apple One bundles in Fall 2022
    Since comments are disabled, I'll leave mine here. Sites like Target currently (or at least recently) have free deals for all the services for 2 to 4 months depending on the service. So do yourself a favor and save 100% of the cost instead. Chances are by the time you get to the end of your free trial you will have stopped using most of them, so it's easy enough to cancel before paying a dime.
    williamlondondarkvaderfred1
  • Reply 3 of 9
     mine’s already updated. Yay me. 😊😊😊
    edited December 2022
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I don't know if it's older phones (XR) or what, but I don't get a battery icon when trying to check the firmware of my AirTag. What I had to do was tap the name of the item and then it showed the serial number and firmware version.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Using FindMy I do see my list of 4 AirTags but I don't see anyplace where a battery icon is visible for any Any AirTag. I touch the AirTag name and see: Play Sound, Directions, Notifications, Notify When Left Behind, Lost Mode, Rename Item, and Remove Item.... but NO Battery Icon!  Where is this beast visible? Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,129member
    To Comcastsucks and Riclf:
    Apple did away with the battery level indicator in a recent iOS “upgrade” and I don’t understand why.
    I did start to see the icon in red recently when the battery in one of my AirTags was getting low. At least that.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    riclf said:
    Using FindMy I do see my list of 4 AirTags but I don't see anyplace where a battery icon is visible for any Any AirTag. I touch the AirTag name and see: Play Sound, Directions, Notifications, Notify When Left Behind, Lost Mode, Rename Item, and Remove Item.... but NO Battery Icon!  Where is this beast visible? Thanks.
    Tap on the name of your item and you will see the serial number and firmware version. You can also locate the battery icon from MacOS based Find My app.
    edited December 2022 skippingrock
  • Reply 8 of 9
    riclf said:
    Tap on the name of your item and you will see the serial number and firmware version. You can also locate the battery icon from MacOS based Find My app.
    Thank you. Mine are all updated.