Does anyone understand Apple "Fast Charging?"

Posted:
in Apple Watch
I find the whole "Fast Charging" label extremely tricky to understand. 

This "Fast Charger" reviewed here last year (the WIZ015) for instance, only lists "5W" as its minimum power output.  There's no "maximum" or "expected" output range, just the bare minimum.

"Fast Charging," as defined by Apple, is 20W (and yes, I'm aware that's the max). But there's no reference to anything faster than this on the box or in the box. Sadder still, Belkin tech support seems hopeless.  It always bothers me when I know more about a product than the people selling it...[sigh] 

Now I know I can get the fabled 20W with an Apple power brick (20W and above) and Apple's short, braided Fast Charging cord that came with my Ultra.  But it's clunky.  I was hoping this Belkin could be a tidy, better-looking, fast charging station, but I can't verify with Apple or Belkin if it really and truly puts out 20W.   

Anyone?

Is there anything like this that actually fast charges an Apple Watch Ultra and possibly my 13Pro iPhone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    nospamman said:

This "Fast Charger" reviewed here last year (the WIZ015) for instance, only lists "5W" as its minimum power output.  There's no "maximum" or "expected" output range, just the bare minimum.

"Fast Charging," as defined by Apple, is 20W (and yes, I'm aware that's the max). But there's no reference to anything faster than this on the box or in the box. Sadder still, Belkin tech support seems hopeless.  It always bothers me when I know more about a product than the people selling it...[sigh] 

Now I know I can get the fabled 20W with an Apple power brick (20W and above) and Apple's short, braided Fast Charging cord that came with my Ultra.  But it's clunky.  I was hoping this Belkin could be a tidy, better-looking, fast charging station, but I can't verify with Apple or Belkin if it really and truly puts out 20W.   

Anyone?

Is there anything like this that actually fast charges an Apple Watch Ultra and possibly my 13Pro iPhone?
    You need a wall wart or power brick that can output 18 W or higher:

gnfhttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212769

The Belkin you link is not a charger. It's just a stand/dock and magnetic induction connector. The actual charger (wall wart) needs to be purchased separately. You can get Apple's 18W or higher wall worts, or get a 3rd party wall wart that supports USB-PD with output of at least 20 Watt or more. There's no point in getting anything more than 20 W or so if you are only using it for iPhone Pro 13 or Watch.
    nospamman
  • Reply 2 of 2
    tht said:
    nospamman said:

Anyone?

You need a wall wart or power brick that can output 18 W or higher:

gnfhttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212769

The Belkin you link is not a charger. It's just a stand/dock and magnetic induction connector. The actual charger (wall wart) needs to be purchased separately. You can get Apple's 18W or higher wall worts, or get a 3rd party wall wart that supports USB-PD with output of at least 20 Watt or more. There's no point in getting anything more than 20 W or so if you are only using it for iPhone Pro 13 or Watch.
    It's not the charger, but rather what the scoop or "puck" will output.  It's plugged into an Apple 35W brick, but I "think" the specs are saying that the puck will still only output 5W.  There's nothing there about 20W charging.