DaVinci Resolve video editor arrives on iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2022
The iPad version of DaVinci Resolve is now on the App Store, bringing a heavyweight video editor to iPadOS.

Users who need more than basic iMovie-style video editing on the iPad have long had the excellent LumaFusion. They've been asking Apple to bring Final Cut Pro to the iPad for at least as long, but now there is a desktop video editing app for iPadOS 16 or later.

As previously promised in Apple's introduction to the latest iPad Pro models, DaVinci Resolve is now available in the App Store. Just as with its Mac equivalent, DaVinci Resolve for iPad is a free download.

It's not a trial version, either. The free download is the full version of DaVinci Resolve, redesigned to work on the iPad, and it contains most of the features that video editors need. There is an optional in-app upgrade to DaVinci Resolve Studio for $95.

On the Mac, upgrading to DaVinci Resolve Studio adds effects such as image retouching, flares and reflections.

At first glance, the iPad edition of DaVinci Resolve appears to provide all of the functionality of its Mac version. It also includes beta access to the developer Blackmagic's cloud service for sharing footage.

"Compatibility with DaVinci Resolve 18 [for Mac] and Blackmagic Cloud, mean that customers can collaborate on the same timeline with other editors or colorists as well as audio engineers and VFX artists from literally anywhere in the world," Grant Petty, Blackmagic Design CEO, said in an earlier statement. "I think it will be exciting to try out the new iPad version and I can't wait to see how our customers use it, their creativity will be mind blowing."

DaVinci Resolve works on all iPads running iPadOS 16 or later, but it is optimized for M1 and M2 iPad Pro models.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Assuming the app runs well and is designed well enough to be usable, this will be game changing for video work on the iPad. Step it up, Apple! Give us Final Cut Pro for the iPad!
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 9
    It's a bit embarrassing Apple is has not been able to do this with FCPX yet. In general Resolve seems to be updated and getting new technology at a much more rapid pace. A shame, considering the fact that FCPX is an amazing editor. The magnetic timeline is really well thought out. It's just getting behind more and more.
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobraCluntBaby92
  • Reply 3 of 9
    With AI taking over, checkout WiseCut.video, I’m surprised that Apple is falling behind this much!
    edited December 2022 williamlondonCheeseFreezewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    For all we know, they probably have it running in their labs.  Waiting for the right time to release it
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    AppleInsider, thank you for the info.  Now we need you to give us a full COMPARISON review of Resolve on iPad versus LumaFusion.  That's right.  Not simply a review of Resolve, but extra info about how it compares with LumaFusion.  We need to know if Resolve on iPad is really that much better than LumaFusion, or if it isn't but simply a different UI that is more familiar to existing Resolve users (of which, I am not one -- I use FCPX on the Mac exclusively).
    bloggerblogwatto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 9
    The reason Apple stepped back while Resolve took its moment being first on the iPad and before FCP is to encourage 3rd party apps on the platform. It’s a great move, bring on the developers. By now we all know that software is what makes a platform compelling, more than the hardware 
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jdw said:
    AppleInsider, thank you for the info.  Now we need you to give us a full COMPARISON review of Resolve on iPad versus LumaFusion.  That's right.  Not simply a review of Resolve, but extra info about how it compares with LumaFusion.  We need to know if Resolve on iPad is really that much better than LumaFusion, or if it isn't but simply a different UI that is more familiar to existing Resolve users (of which, I am not one -- I use FCPX on the Mac exclusively).
    Or just wait for the video people to release their comparisons on YouTube. Here's one with Resolve, LumaFusion, and Rush:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgQs-5Gh_iI

There will be many more to come.
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Crashes at launch on my iPad Pro 12.9" 2020 (cellular, 1TB).
    :-(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    jeromec said:
    Crashes at launch on my iPad Pro 12.9" 2020 (cellular, 1TB).
    :-(
    Works fine on my 11” iPad Pro with ios16.2