NFL announces multi-year YouTube deal for Sunday Ticket

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2022
The National Football League has ended months of speculation and confirmed that YouTube will be the new streaming home for Sunday Ticket.

As predicted, YouTube Primetime Channels is taking over NFL Sunday Ticket from DirecTV, starting with the 2023 season. The deal, for an undisclosed sum, sees YouTube beating Apple TV+, which until recently was considered a frontrunner for the rights.

"We're excited to bring NFL Sunday Ticket to YouTube TV and YouTube Primetime Channels," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in a statement, "and usher in a new era of how fans across the United States watch and follow the NFL."

"For a number of years we have been focused on increased digital distribution of our games," continued Goodell, "and this partnership is yet another example of us looking towards the future and building the next generation of NFL fans."

NFL Sunday Ticket will be available on YouTube's subscription channels, as an add-on extra for YouTube TV, and also game-by-game on YouTube Primetime Channels. The NFL describes the deal only as being a "multi-year" one, although Variety says it's for seven years.

"YouTube has long been a home for football fans, whether they're streaming live games, keeping up with their home team, or watching the best plays in highlights," YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki said. "Through this expanded partnership with the NFL, viewers will now also be able to experience the game they love in compelling and innovative ways through YouTube TV or YouTube Primetime Channels."

As part of the deal, YouTube will also be inviting selected YouTube Creators to attend key NFL events. It will also produce an international NFL show, which is something Apple was said to be keen on.

Both YouTube's Wojcicki and the NFL say that one reason for the deal was that fans will benefit from the streamer's "technology and product innovation." However, it's believed that Apple TV+ pulled out of the negotiations because the NFL was unwilling to sell rights to be exploited in new technologies, such as Apple's forthcoming VR content.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,325member
    I know this service is geared for fans who are out of market for their favorite teams, but personally, I never saw much of a need for Sunday Ticket.
    Between Red Zone and my local coverage, I am good. If it was on Apple TV+, I might have checked it out, but probably wouldn't use too often, if at all.
    edited December 2022 baconstangdewme
  • Reply 2 of 11
    designr said:
    I do have to admire Apple's discipline here. They know what they want (or feel like they need) and what they're willing to pay for it. They clearly have a plan and strategy. And they know when to stop and walk away. This opportunity will return.

P.S. One article I read on this suggested that it wasn't the NFL that was unwilling to concede on some points Apple wanted, it's that they are unable to due to existing contractual obligations and clauses. This condition may change in the future presenting Apple with a fresh opportunity to go at this again.

The deals start next season and extend until 2033. There’ll be a fresh opportunity then!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mike1 said:
    I know this service is geared for fans who are out of market for their favorite teams, but personally, I never saw much of a need for Sunday Ticket.
    Between Red Zone and my local coverage, I am good. If it was on Apple TV+, I might have checked it out, but probably wouldn't use too often, if at all.
    If you know this is for a certain group of football fans, then why say that you don’t have a need for it? I don’t have a need for an iMac Pro but some people feel they do, I don’t go in the Apple Store and tell the employees that I don’t have a need for iMac Pros. Different products are obviously made for different people’s needs. 
    lolliverdewmeJaphey
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I hope that it’s available without a YT TV Subscription. YT TV is a good option for cord cutters, but it’s still pricey. Add the Sunday Ticket to it, and it’s going to be as bad as cable. 

If they offer it as a stand alone service, I can see it appealing to many more people, as they won’t have to double up their cable bill in some instances.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    It will be interesting to see what the price difference is between YouTube (live broadcast) and NFL+ (delayed broadcast). I currently use NFL+ to watch out-of-market games and it's slightly under $100 right now for a full season.
    edited December 2022 dewme
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I hope that it’s available without a YT TV Subscription. YT TV is a good option for cord cutters, but it’s still pricey. Add the Sunday Ticket to it, and it’s going to be as bad as cable. 

If they offer it as a stand alone service, I can see it appealing to many more people, as they won’t have to double up their cable bill in some instances.
    It is, you can get it in either YouTube TV or through regular YouTube's Primetime Channels(IE, premium add ons you pay for in regular YouTube).  If I can find a similar service for college football, it will allow me to say goodbye to my YT TV subscription, which I only keep for live sports at this point.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    It’s only for certain people. If you are a big fan of an out of market team, you might do it. But for someone like me who lives in his home team’s market and has YouTube TV already, it’s pretty much out of the question. YouTube TV is expensive. It’s one of the only Google products I use. I’m certainly not paying another $30 a month for Sunday ticket. But that’s just me. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Apple dodged a billet here. Only way this was going to work if Apple was able to get some equity in the NFL core business. Just being a vessel for games like Direct TV has and what Google now will be doing is a money loser 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Oh boy, get to watch NFL on a shitty tiny screen instead of my expensive high def huge screen TV. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,872moderator
    Madbum said:
    Apple dodged a billet here. Only way this was going to work if Apple was able to get some equity in the NFL core business. Just being a vessel for games like Direct TV has and what Google now will be doing is a money loser 
    Having moved out of the United States in 2016, I’ve watched only a single football game in 6 years; the Patriots versus Seahawks Super Bowl game.  I’m an expat living in The Philippines, and I’m in a number of expat Facebook groups where we exchange tips and help out the new arrivals from all western countries of origin.  It’s exactly those individuals - the newly arrived expats - who ask about where they can go to have a few beers and watch an American football game.  But it’s been my experience that we soon occupy ourselves with other pursuits, from climbing volcanoes to sailing and diving and dating, and lose our passion as diehard football or baseball or basketball fans.  Myself included, as a New Englander and long-time Tom Brady fan, it just doesn’t resonate out here in the larger world.  Apple isn’t harmed, I think, missing out on such an American-centric sports streaming opportunity.  

Soccer, now there’s a worldwide opportunity.  And for AR and VR, I think there’s plenty of opportunity in many less-expensive sports.  Women’s beach volleyball comes to mind.  Skiing, sledding, cycling sports, diving, the list is long and a lot less expensive than the NFL.