Mac is less popular among Apple customers than iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
     Oiled be that people are starting to use iPads as a computer? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 934member
    Things I carry everywhere and the thing, my one Mac, I don’t. 
    edited February 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    oldenboomoldenboom Posts: 30unconfirmed, member
    My ten years old grandson uses a mouse with his Chrome laptop instead of the builtin trackpad. Mouse is faster and more precise in pointing than the trackpad. 
    What's the point?

When my daughter was 10 she had to use a Chrome laptop for school, but she also used a Windows laptop with touch screen and a Macbook. And yes, she did have a mouse which could be used on any of those laptops. She's 14 now and she prefers a big Wacom Intuos tablet now as input device. She settled with the Macbook now, never looked back at the Chromebook nor the Windows laptop although both were better spec'd than the old Macbook Air 2014.

Anyway, the iPhone and Apple Watch are personal devices while in many families a Macbook (or iMac), an iPad and an Apple TV are shared devices. Did Apple take that into account? Besides, the iPhone and Apple Watch are devices which are renewed more often than a Macbook, iPad or Apple TV.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    The lifecycle of an iPhone is shorter than a Mac, I switch iPhones every two years but Macs are every seven. My iPhones often get donated to family. 
    Also some just use the Macs supplied by their employer. I once was without a personal Mac for two years because I just used my works Mac, and after I bought a personal one I found that I only used it once or twice a week since I was mostly on my work machine anyway.  
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    wood1208 said:
    Many of us grew up using Windows so switching to MACs is not easy. One simple observation is If there is a simple way to have Windows type File Explorer UI on MacOS then easier to migrate from Windows to MacOS.
    I'm curious what you find MacOS Finder doesn't do that File Explorer does. The Finder's default view looks different, but it's fairly easily customized to look and act pretty much like File Explorer. At my job (Fortune 500 company, so slow to adopt new tech), IT is moving network storage to Microsoft's SharePoint Online. Mostly, I say "whatever," but SPO does not play well with File Explorer, and I get the impression that Microsoft wants to move toward phasing it out as a primary navigation tool.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    omasou said:
    Surprise one device Apple owners own an iPhone.

That doesn't make the Mac less popular. It just means Windows owners own iPhones.

Yes, I know many Windows-loving users that switched to iPhone, but can't yet see how macOS is a better operating system. They are comfortable in their domain. A fish doesn't know it's in water until it jumps out.
    Not true. Technically there is no better OS. Everybody has some advancement against a selected competitor. At the end of the day is it use case and money.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    nicholfd said:
    goofy1958 said:
    Between my wife and I, we have 2 iPhones, 2 watches, 2 Airpod Pros, an Apple TV 4k, and I have 2 Homepod Minis in my office.  The only thing we don't have are Macs and that is simply because they are, to us, too expensive for what you get.  My Dell PC with the same performance and specs as a Macbook Pro is less than 1/2 the cost.  I simply cannot justify the extra money for the same performance.  I have used a Macbook Pro in the past when supplied by my company, and loved it.  If Apple would just come down on their pricing for the Macbook Pro, we'd jump in a heartbeat.
    I call BS on that.  What's the Dell display specs vs. Apple equivalent - resolution, PPI, color gamut, brightness, etc.?  What's the battery life on the Dell vs. MacBook (Air/Pro)? What's the storage speed comparison?  Weight?

I justified a MacBook Pro at my employer by custom spec'ing a Dell, with as close as possible specs as the MacBook Pro.  I couldn't get battery or display on the Dell to be as good as the MacBook Pro, and the two systems were within $100 of each other.
    Not true. I think Dell PC = Desktop = better value. If you have the space and no need to regular transport the computer to different locations, than a regular desktop is miles a head in value. For a long time, the Apple Display was not user friendly, thanks to the obsession with glossy displays. So you wanted to something to work with, it was very likly, that even with a Mac, you also used something from Dell & Co.

I really wanted for some time a new Mac for Xcode. But Apple is to greedy. Currently I can only buy a Mac Mini or Mac Studio. If you configure a Mini to useful setup, than it is better to buy a Studio anyway. In the Desktop realm, you can get PC Hardware, at 1/3 - 2/3 the cost of a equivalent Apple Hardware. Even if I have the money for it, I do not support this bad behavior from Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    omasou said:
    Surprise one device Apple owners own an iPhone.

That doesn't make the Mac less popular. It just means Windows owners own iPhones.

Yes, I know many Windows-loving users that switched to iPhone, but can't yet see how macOS is a better operating system. They are comfortable in their domain. A fish doesn't know it's in water until it jumps out.

If MacOS won't do what the user wants it to do, which in my case is to play RPG, strategy, and VR games, then it doesn't matter in the slightest how much "better" MacOS is.  It's not "better" for my use case, no matter how much better it is for anyone else for another purpose.

I have iPhones because I like how they operate better than any of the alternatives.  I have an Apple Watch because it does the things I want it to do.  I have an iPad because it makes it easier to do some things while I'm on the road.  I do NOT have a Mac because I don't need a paperweight; it would sit unused because my PC will do everything I want to do, and the Mac won't.

I'm sure the exact same is true for many, if not most, Mac users, in reverse.
    muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrabala1234
  • Reply 29 of 32
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,043member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    All the things that 99% of the people use their computer for can be done on the iPad, specialize games or specialize CAD programs, or heavy duty business programs you cannot, but the overwhelming majority of people are not cad jockeys, nor are they heavy gamers heavy users of commercial business programs.

Smartphones also pick up some of the load music, messaging, emails and many other little utility like things can be done on the smartphone, i.e. calendar, calculators, notes and many other little utility programs that used to be done on a full size desktop computer or laptop.

The geek crowd hates it when you point out that many people worldwide are using their smartphone and their iPad/tablet to off load 75% of their normal computing that was done on a desktop or laptop computer. And the rest is picked up using the lab at school in class or in a library.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    danox said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    All the things that 99% of the people use their computer for can be done on the iPad, specialize games or specialize CAD programs, or heavy duty business programs you cannot, but the overwhelming majority of people are not cad jockeys, nor are they heavy gamers heavy users of commercial business programs.

Smartphones also pick up some of the load music, messaging, emails and many other little utility like things can be done on the smartphone, i.e. calendar, calculators, notes and many other little utility programs that used to be done on a full size desktop computer or laptop.

The geek crowd hates it when you point out that many people worldwide are using their smartphone and their iPad/tablet to off load 75% of their normal computing that was done on a desktop or laptop computer. And the rest is picked up using the lab at school in class or in a library.
    People such as yourself claim that an iPad replaces Windows PCs. Your ilk never claims that an iPad replaces a Mac and we all know why.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 32
    thadec said:
    danox said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:

People such as yourself claim that an iPad replaces Windows PCs. Your ilk never claims that an iPad replaces a Mac and we all know why.
    Because Macs are irreplaceable? :wink:
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 32
    goofy1958 said:
    Between my wife and I, we have 2 iPhones, 2 watches, 2 Airpod Pros, an Apple TV 4k, and I have 2 Homepod Minis in my office.  The only thing we don't have are Macs and that is simply because they are, to us, too expensive for what you get.  My Dell PC with the same performance and specs as a Macbook Pro is less than 1/2 the cost.  I simply cannot justify the extra money for the same performance.  I have used a Macbook Pro in the past when supplied by my company, and loved it.  If Apple would just come down on their pricing for the Macbook Pro, we'd jump in a heartbeat.
    To each his own. I am sure your choices make sense to you. I use a mac book pro for my work. Personally I think the new Mac Book Air & Mac Mini are amazing value propositions, but unfortunately I have no need for them!  I have a chromebook & dell laptop which I occasionally (chrome book more often then dell).  My next pc/laptop purchase is going to be a gaming capable contraption as that's only thing that would justify the cost for me (from usage perspective) . And sadly mac is still not great in that aspect (purely for software reasons).