Apple may be getting a secret slice of Google Chrome search earnings

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2023
A UK regulator appears to have discovered, but then redacted, that Google has been paying Apple search revenues generated through Chrome in order to discourage it from launching a rival system.

Google Chrome icon
Google Chrome icon

Apple has regularly been rumored to be working on its own search engine to rival Google. It appears it could be in the company's interest to not do so.

According to The Register, Google has been paying Apple a portion of the revenues it gets from people searching via the Google Chrome iOS app. This is over and above the officially acknowledged search revenues that Google pays, and it's reportedly what has concerned the UK's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA).

The CMA has not stated this, and The Register's report is based on UK regulator documents released in June 2021. Those documents featured redacted information, and the presumption that the publication has made, is that what has been removed are references to Chrome on iOS.

"Apple receives a significant share of revenue from Google Search traffic on Safari and [x] on iOS devices," says one paragraph in the CMA report.

It's not clear why the UK regulator would not disclose what it has presumably uncovered during its investigation, but there are three sections where it does so. They include one about why this is all a concern for the CMA.

"Given this revenue share, when [x] or Safari is successful in competing for an iOS user, rather than winning a full share of the search traffic revenue it only wins a partial share (ie the revenue to which it was not previously entitled)," says the CMA. "These revenue sharing arrangements therefore dampen incentives for competition between browsers on iOS."

Whatever the revenue sharing actually comes from, the CMA argues that the money means Apple has greater incentive to keep to the current situation instead of creating a rival.

There is no detail concerning how much Google may be paying Apple because of Google Chrome. However, it has previously been reported that the publicly-known deal about being the default search engine on iPhones is likely to mean Google pays Apple as much as $15 billion annually.

Neither Google nor Apple have commented.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I seriously think that without Apple and iOS that Google would be finished as an alternative platform. 
    lkrupplolliverdanoxdamn_its_hot
  • Reply 2 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    BirderGuy said:
    I seriously think that without Apple and iOS that Google would be finished as an alternative platform. 
    I think you’re right but if Apple were to release such a service they would then immediately be accused of the anti-competitive behavior. That’s how it works with Apple these days, damned if they do and damned if they don’t.
    mike1Andy.Hardwake
  • Reply 3 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,843member
    lkrupp said:
    BirderGuy said:
    I think you’re right but if Apple were to release such a service they would then immediately be accused of the anti-competitive behavior. That’s how it works with Apple these days, damned if they do and damned if they don’t.
    Very true. OTOH where’s the crime in accepting a cut from Google and not developing one? If they say it’s anticompetitive behaviour, then that’s on Google, not Apple. 
    mike1Andy.Hardwakehydrogenwilliamlondonlolliverdamn_its_hotFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    BirderGuy said:
    Very true. OTOH where’s the crime in accepting a cut from Google and not developing one? If they say it’s anticompetitive behaviour, then that’s on Google, not Apple. 
    Correct, it's Google forcing Apple to take the money. It's not as though Apple would have this stipulated in a contract they gave Google to sign.  No doubt it's just a gentleman's agreement and Apple would not have anything to do with agreeing to something that might possibly be anticompetitive. 
    edited February 2023 ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingamOferCloudTalkinFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 18
    nubusnubus Posts: 463member
    BirderGuy said:
    Apple Maps didn't exactly kill Google Maps, iTunes Pling didn't kill Facebook, and Apple Music vs. Spotify or Apple TV vs. <any streaming service>... those are also pretty clear. Surely it might be difficult for companies being copied by Apple to make the profit they planned on. The main problem being when Apple installs their copies on all iPhones, offer free trials to owners of iPhone. MS did exactly that when using the dominance of Windows.

Paying protection to avoid the iPhone-juggernaut... the Sherman Act just called and so did EU.
    OferwilliamlondonlolliverFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 18
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,024member
    Companies contract with a multitude of vendors for goods or services. Sometimes they rely on multiple vendors for the same component/service, sometimes they enter in a single-vendor/exclusive agreements. 

They have this right, for most any reason they wish. I think there was a time decades ago ATI pissed off Steve Jobs for publicly talking about some arrangement with Apple while the were embargoed, pre-keynote. I don't think Apple after that.

For for an agency to "publish" the details of a contractual agreement between any companies - unless it is proven to be an illegal agreement in court - is wrong.

williamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Google will NOT be getting rich on my IOS searches. I probably search for something on my phone/iPad once a month.
    On my MacBook, all of Google is blocked unless a site demands it. In those cases, I enable it on a temporary basis thanks to Little Snitch.

If you can avoid Google (and Amazon) then do so. The world will be a better place without them.
    hydrogen
  • Reply 8 of 18
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,863member
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    BirderGuy said:
    The devil will be in the details. If Apple agreed to put its own search plans on ice as a result of a request from Google to not move ahead in exchange for payments, then the EU especially, might start scratching into the surface of things.

Finding something with clear enough wording though is probably impossible so I can't see this going anywhere. 
    muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 18
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,024member
    avon b7 said:
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    BirderGuy said:
    The devil will be in the details. If Apple agreed to put its own search plans on ice as a result of a request from Google to not move ahead in exchange for payments, then the EU especially, might start scratching into the surface of things.

Finding something with clear enough wording though is probably impossible so I can't see this going anywhere. 
    Even if that's exactly what happened, so what? Apple could make the decision to either forgoe the money and invest in their front facing search engine, or accept the money and not make the investment. Companies make decisions like the ALL THE TIME. Actually,  Apple has invested in a fully operational search engine, but backend for now (Siri search results)

Now, if Google threatened to harm/degrade/impair performance to iOS users unless Apple took the deal, there might be some merit. But I deeply doubt that is the case.
    tht
  • Reply 10 of 18
    nubus said:
    BirderGuy said:
    Apple Maps didn't exactly kill Google Maps, iTunes Pling didn't kill Facebook, and Apple Music vs. Spotify or Apple TV vs. <any streaming service>... those are also pretty clear. Surely it might be difficult for companies being copied by Apple to make the profit they planned on. The main problem being when Apple installs their copies on all iPhones, offer free trials to owners of iPhone. MS did exactly that when using the dominance of Windows.
    Doesn’t the first part of your paragraph contradict the second part of your paragraph? 
  • Reply 11 of 18
    thrang said:
    avon b7 said:
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    BirderGuy said:

Even if that's exactly what happened, so what? Apple could make the decision to either forgoe the money and invest in their front facing search engine, or accept the money and not make the investment. Companies make decisions like the ALL THE TIME. Actually,  Apple has invested in a fully operational search engine, but backend for now (Siri search results)

Now, if Google threatened to harm/degrade/impair performance to iOS users unless Apple took the deal, there might be some merit. But I deeply doubt that is the case.
    Depending on what could be turned up in an investigation, the EU might see collusion to reduce/impede competition. 

Two private companies is one thing. Two 'gatekeepers' is another. 
    muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 12 of 18
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,080member
    nubus said:
    BirderGuy said:

Paying protection to avoid the iPhone-juggernaut... the Sherman Act just called and so did EU.
    Most of googles profit in mobile comes from the Apple platform. They’re not paying Apple for a default position for nothing, they are getting a big fat return…..
  • Reply 13 of 18
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,080member
    avon b7 said:
    thrang said:
    avon b7 said:
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    BirderGuy said:

Depending on what could be turned up in an investigation, the EU might see collusion to reduce/impede competition. 

Gatekeeper a fancy EU word that has no standing in the other 77% of the world.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    danox said:
    avon b7 said:
    thrang said:
    avon b7 said:
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    BirderGuy said:

Gatekeeper a fancy EU word that has no standing in the other 77% of the world.
    It does not need to but if there was something shady in the nature of any agreement, I very much doubt they left breadcrumbs to follow. 

Then again, it does look like the UK thinks it had something. Enough? I doubt it. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 18
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,081member
    avon b7 said:
    thrang said:
    avon b7 said:
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    BirderGuy said:

How can the government force any company, even a "gatekeeper", to complete? When Nokia killed off Symbian and switched to Android (with Google Mobile Services), were they guilty of anti-competitive behavior because they reduced competition and consumer's choice?  Now Nokia had a fully functional mobile OS, but what about the other phone makers that chose to use Android (with GMS) instead of competing and developing their own mobile OS, for their brand of mobile phones? Are they guilty of collusion with Google because by choosing to use Android (with GMS), they reduced competition in the mobile OS market?  Blackberry and Microsoft eventually did the same. Should the EU had looked into collusion in those cases? Because of Nokia, Blackberry and Microsoft "anti-competitive" behavior, consumers ended up with only two main mobile OSes to choose from, instead of five.

And what about Facebook phone and Amazon Fire phone? Two "Gatekeepers".  Should they (Facebook and Amazon) have been forced to keep competing in the mobile phone market, for the sake of more competition and more consumer choices? Or otherwise be charged with anti-competitive behavior for reducing competition? 

Is Google guilty of impeding competition because they offer Android (without GMS) as Open Source, for any phone makers to modify and use, for free? It's going to be one or the other. Either there be less competition in the mobile OS market and more competition in the mobile phone market, if Android is allowed to be Open Source. Or more competition in the mobile OS market and less in the mobile phone market, if not allowed. How many fewer mobile phones choices would there be, if each phone maker had to spend the money on  the RD to develop their own mobile OS? Should making software "Open Source" be banned in the EU because it had shown to reduce/impede competition (in the mobile OS market)? 

I can see Apple putting in the RD to come up with a search engine, just in case Google search on iOS ends up being inferior to Google search on Android. Just like what Google did with Google Map on iOS. But for Apple, their search engine would be a big money loser as Apple is not into data mining customers personal info, for the targeted advertising business. They still make most of their profits from selling hardware. If Apple could come out with a search engine superior to Google, which is very doubtful, they still wouldn't  make money unless they go to the targeted advertising business. However, if it drives hardware sales, then it might be worth it. Or if it prevents customers from switching to Android because of a superior search engine. But to claim that it's anti-competitive for any company to freely chose to not want spend the money in order to compete, for whatever reasons, is something that only the EU would come up with.  
    gatorguydanoxFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 16 of 18
    davidw said:
    avon b7 said:
    thrang said:
    avon b7 said:
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    BirderGuy said:

How can the government force any company, even a "gatekeeper", to complete? When Nokia killed off Symbian and switched to Android (with Google Mobile Services), were they guilty of anti-competitive behavior because they reduced competition and consumer's choice?  Now Nokia had a fully functional mobile OS, but what about the other phone makers that chose to use Android (with GMS) instead of competing and developing their own mobile OS, for their brand of mobile phones? Are they guilty of collusion with Google because by choosing to use Android (with GMS), they reduced competition in the mobile OS market?  Blackberry and Microsoft eventually did the same. Should the EU had looked into collusion in those cases? Because of Nokia, Blackberry and Microsoft "anti-competitive" behavior, consumers ended up with only two main mobile OSes to choose from, instead of five.

And what about Facebook phone and Amazon Fire phone? Two "Gatekeepers".  Should they (Facebook and Amazon) have been forced to keep competing in the mobile phone market, for the sake of more competition and more consumer choices? Or otherwise be charged with anti-competitive behavior for reducing competition? 

Is Google guilty of impeding competition because they offer Android (without GMS) as Open Source, for any phone makers to modify and use, for free? It's going to be one or the other. Either there be less competition in the mobile OS market and more competition in the mobile phone market, if Android is allowed to be Open Source. Or more competition in the mobile OS market and less in the mobile phone market, if not allowed. How many fewer mobile phones choices would there be, if each phone maker had to spend the money on  the RD to develop their own mobile OS? Should making software "Open Source" be banned in the EU because it had shown to reduce/impede competition (in the mobile OS market)? 

I can see Apple putting in the RD to come up with a search engine, just in case Google search on iOS ends up being inferior to Google search on Android. Just like what Google did with Google Map on iOS. But for Apple, their search engine would be a big money loser as Apple is not into data mining customers personal info, for the targeted advertising business. They still make most of their profits from selling hardware. If Apple could come out with a search engine superior to Google, which is very doubtful, they still wouldn't  make money unless they go to the targeted advertising business. However, if it drives hardware sales, then it might be worth it. Or if it prevents customers from switching to Android because of a superior search engine. But to claim that it's anti-competitive for any company to freely chose to not want spend the money in order to compete, for whatever reasons, is something that only the EU would come up with.  
    First off. The obvious. 

Apple and Google only got to where they are now because of first mover status. 

They were not always gatekeepers. That is a result of many factors and why they fell under the EU radar for so long. 

There is a point when your size and influence puts you on the radar and when the complaints start coming in (as they have for the last few years) investigations begin. 

How can you force any company to compete? That is not the issue. 

The issue would be if companies collude to not compete (as many already have) and in doing so, distort markets and negatively impact consumers. 

Then the investigations begin and some very hefty fines get issued. 

I know because I've done work for a major EU company which got fined millions of euros for simply attending a meeting. 

They were invited and went. The invitation was from a US company to various industry heavyweights. 

Once at the meeting the subject of price fixing was raised and things went downhill from there. The US company got cold feet and formally notified the EU. 

Competition law allows those who denounce anti competitive practices protection against prosecution. It's a weird situation to be in and in this case was compounded by an extremely poor job by legal assessors who were contracted specifically for the task. 

The upshot was that everyone at the meeting got fined and the company behind the idea got off the hook. 

In this case, and given the resources of both companies, if anything untoward has gone on will probably be extremely hard to nail down. 

That said, even Google's current deal with Apple might end up under the microscope at some point. 
  • Reply 17 of 18
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,081member
    nubus said:
    BirderGuy said:

If Apple with the iPhone haven't managed to kill off Google Maps, Facebook, Spotify or any streaming services, even though their competing"copies" are on all iPhones and free trails are offered to all iPhone owners, then how is the iPhone a "juggernaut"? And why would Google pay Apple any protection money to avoid it?

The iPhone is only about 23% of the World smartphone market. And over 50% in 2 countries (Japan and US) and maybe over 50% in 1 (UK). How is this exactly the same as Microsoft with Windows on over 95% of the World desktop computers, back in 1995 and still on over 75% of desktop computers today? MS Windows was a monopoly in every country computers were sold. If anything, by your useless metric, Google Android should be the "juggernaut", with over 75% on the World smartphone market. Wouldn't you think? (If you think at all.)

This metric is using installed base and not the latest quarterly sales numbers. With quarterly sales numbers, the numbers could be highly skewed if for instance, a lot more  iPhone owners replaced their old iPhone (because of a new model with more features) than Android phone owners replacing theirs, in the quarter. Or vice versa. Mobile phone users replacing their phones with one that uses the same mobile OS, do not add to the install base. So sales numbers do not truly represent the actual install base. It still amazes me how many people don't understand this and thinks iPhones have close to 60% of US market share because 57% of latest quarterly sales in the US, were iPhones. If anything, maybe iOS installed base might be above 57% when you include the iPad.  

• Reply 18 of 18
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,681member
    nubus said:
    BirderGuy said:

Microsoft didn't make the hardware and yet still forced OEM's into a corner and pushed any possible competition out the door. That is the definition of being anti-competitive.

Apple makes and sells hardware directly to end users. There has NEVER been an issue of OEMs offering distinct features and free software and services to users to incentivize purchasing their devices over another's. All hardware vendors do this. This is the very definition of competing in a market. It is even more the case because Apple only really competes at the high end of any respective market.

A case be made against Google forcing OEMs to offer their services over an alternative.

Also in any "localized" market where Apple may have a majority position, the same case might be possible, if any malicious intent is discovered, i.e. Apple is purposefully doing something keep competition out, rather than just offering their end users convenience. However, Apple could also prove that they had to enter a specific market because 3rd party offerings were second class to other platforms (hence, iTunes+iPod, Safari, Apple Maps, etc.).