Sonos Era 100 & Era 300 HomePod competitors coming in March

Posted:
in General Discussion
New Sonos Era 100 and Sonos Era 300 smart speakers will launch in 2023 and compete with Apple's HomePod with AirPlay 2 and spatial audio.

Sonos is launching new speakers
Sonos is launching new speakers

Teased in early February, Sonos will reportedly release both speakers at the end of March, according to The Verge. They will support Bluetooth and USB-C line-in for audio and streaming over Wi-Fi.

Both Era speakers will include Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.0, and support for AirPlay 2. Sonos will also sell a separate line-in adapter for USB-C audio and a combo adapter for plug-in over ethernet.

The Sonos Era 300 speaker is said to include spatial audio, a technology that delivers a surround-sound experience for audio. It has six drivers to direct sound forward, left, right, and up.

Sonos Era 300. Source: The Verge
Sonos Era 300. Source: The Verge

Users will have the option to stream spatial audio tracks from Amazon Music Unlimited. However, the report says that Sonos has yet to reach an agreement with Apple for the company's Dolby Atmos library on a single Era 300.

Less is known about the Era 100, but it reportedly won't have spatial audio support or upward-firing drivers. However, Sonos did add a second tweeter to the model for true stereo sound and increased the mid-woofer's size for better bass.

Sonos Era 100. Source: The Verge
Sonos Era 100. Source: The Verge

Options for a voice assistant will include Sonos Voice Control and Amazon Alexa, but it's unclear if they will support Google Assistant. For physical controls, the speakers have a button to mute the built-in microphones temporarily and a switch on the back to disconnect power from the mics completely.

Sonos has also designed the speakers with repairability in mind. Using less adhesive and more screws, users can disassemble the devices more easily for repair.

Per the report, the Sonos Era 300 might cost around $450 while the Era 100 could be $250.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    No Ethernet ports? Wow. 

Gonna replace my Sonos gear with Bluesound
  • Reply 2 of 12
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,449member
    No Ethernet ports? Wow. 

FYI, the article in The Verge mentions there will be a "combo adapter" for plugging over ethernet.  We'll have to wait and see how this adapter is.  
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Would be nice if Sonos adopted the third party Siri integration. I thought for sure they would by now.  It seems only Ecobee took advantage of that and it works great.  Until then, I’ll stick with HomePods. Yeah I know, I know, Siri is garbage.  Not denying that but I’m so deep in the Apple eco system and HomeKit that I need Siri for the full integration in hopes that Apple will get their heads out of their anuses and improve it.  Hopefully ChatGPT lights that fire.  
  • Reply 4 of 12
    itinj24 said:
    Would be nice if Sonos adopted the third party Siri integration. I thought for sure they would by now.  It seems only Ecobee took advantage of that and it works great.  Until then, I’ll stick with HomePods. Yeah I know, I know, Siri is garbage.  Not denying that but I’m so deep in the Apple eco system and HomeKit that I need Siri for the full integration in hopes that Apple will get their heads out of their anuses and improve it.  Hopefully ChatGPT lights that fire.  
     The third party Siri integration requires a home pod to use, so that's a no go.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Just one HomePod Mini is all you need to get it going.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    itinj24 said:
    Just one HomePod Mini is all you need to get it going.  
    Yes, but there's absolutely no reason why you should need one other than Apple not being successful in this market.

I mean, if I just bought a Sonos it makes no sense that I should also buy an Apple Homepod mini. They absolutely could use an AppleTV, but they needed a selling point for Homepod as it hasn't been very successful so far.

I've got three AppleTVs and ten Sonos units... I don't see myself buying an Apple Homepod mini anytime soon.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Got ya, fair enough.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    danvm said:
    No Ethernet ports? Wow. 

FYI, the article in The Verge mentions there will be a "combo adapter" for plugging over ethernet.  We'll have to wait and see how this adapter is.  
    Good to know we're all cool with adapters as long as it's not Apple releasing them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    xyzzy01 said:
    itinj24 said:
    Can do not only with HomePod mini (as another user stated) but AppleTV. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    For me, I am so royally pissed at Sonos, I’m thinking of replacing most of our system - 4 Play Ones and 2 PlayBars. I bought 1 of the Play Ones & 1 PlayBar after the latest gen was released because I was ASSURED that there would be backward compatibility. For Sonos to completely drop a relatively new gen is awful. Not to mention the app is REALLY AWFUL!

I’m really reluctant to trust Sonos again and invest the money when the tech has changed so much. I’m already getting a small speaker for my office - instead of Bluetooth, I’m going to go with an Apple Mini HomePod (though I wish there were more subtle and cool colors!). 

Anyone else concerned not only about Sonos app but continued Sonos support? I don’t expect a decade, but at least a few years, especially when it’s just a firmware update!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 136member
    FooBar55 said:
    xyzzy01 said:
    itinj24 said:
    Can do not only with HomePod mini (as another user stated) but AppleTV. 

Unfortunately not - to support Siri on third party hardware you need a homepod mini. AppleTV is perfectly capable of handling it, of course, but Apple won't let it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 136member
    FooBar55 said:
    For me, I am so royally pissed at Sonos, I’m thinking of replacing most of our system - 4 Play Ones and 2 PlayBars. I bought 1 of the Play Ones & 1 PlayBar after the latest gen was released because I was ASSURED that there would be backward compatibility. For Sonos to completely drop a relatively new gen is awful. Not to mention the app is REALLY AWFUL!

I’m really reluctant to trust Sonos again and invest the money when the tech has changed so much. I’m already getting a small speaker for my office - instead of Bluetooth, I’m going to go with an Apple Mini HomePod (though I wish there were more subtle and cool colors!). 

Anyone else concerned not only about Sonos app but continued Sonos support? I don’t expect a decade, but at least a few years, especially when it’s just a firmware update!

Not really concerned - so far, Sonos has been really good. My oldest device is a Play 5 (gen 2) I bought in 2015, still supported and getting updates. After not upgrading some really old stuff (up to 10+ years) from their S1 to S2, they've pledged 5 years of support after end of sales. They still support them on S1, though.

What I'm not happy with is that they continued to sell hardware longer than they should have  - e.g. the Playbar was sold after they launched Airplay 2 IIRC - but the hardware wasn't able to handle it, as they had been too slow in updating it.