Florida wants Apple & Google to label apps made outside US

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2023
Republican Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody wants Apple and Google to flag foreign-owned apps on iPhone and Android, citing a potential national security risk.

TikTok
TikTok

In letters she sent to Apple CEO Tim Cook and Google CEO Sundar Pichai, Moody calls for the companies to notify customers when they download an app owned or developed by a foreign entity, citing national security.

"We must ensure that consumers have the information needed to make informed decisions about their data privacy and security," Moody said in a letter to Apple and Google. "The existing lack of transparency in app stores can create a significant risk for Americans citizens and could cause their personal information to be exploited by foreign entities of concern."

As an example, Moody pointed to TikTok, a social media app owned by a Chinese company. Moody noted that it has "been flagged by national security experts as posing a risk to both privacy and user information."

Another example is Pushwoosh, a Russian company that created code which was found in thousands of apps in the App Store, including those from The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as the US Army.

"Further, it is alarming that out of the top apps in Apple's App Store [and Google's Play Store], the top three are China-based, thus equating to hundreds of millions of downloads domestically and billions worldwide," Moody added.

It's not clear specifically where Moody is placing her line for labeling. Her letter cites foreign-owned apps which could mean any app developed and distributed by companies or individuals outside of the US, but her examples are exclusively from China.

At present, Apple's App Store labels the developer, and includes links to a website. The nationality of the developer is not listed on the App Store page, but is generally available when users click-through to the site in question.

Several states have already banned TikTok on government devices, including Maryland, Texas, South Dakota, and Oklahoma. The House of Representatives also ordered staff and lawmakers to uninstall TikTok from their devices.

The US government has ban TikTok from government-owned devices. Aspects of the federal government also want to strike it from the App Store entirely, though that has yet to be ordered from a legislative standpoint.

However, FCC commissioner Brendan Carr believes a nationwide ban is inevitable. "I don't believe there is a path forward for anything other than a ban," Carr said in a November interview. The data, he believes, could be used to covertly influence political processes in the United States, potentially to benefit China's administration.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,989member
    I HATE politics and its pointless posturing rather than dealing with real problems. 
    williamlondondewmejahbladeiOS_Guy80roundaboutnowretrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,317member
    NASA should be relocated to Vandenberg AFB on the peninsula, which is where it should’ve been in the first place. No proximity of Stanford, JPL, Caltech, Lawrence Livermore labs, Silicon Valley, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, San Jose state, Palmdale Air Force Base, etc……. Must be lonely in Florida with no infrastructure and no brain power whatsoever.

Pork Barrel politics is the only reason NASA is in Texas, Alabama and Florida in the first place they weren’t chosen for their infrastructure. Note, rising sea waters will take care of all three locations in 50 years.
    edited February 2023 jahbladeiOS_Guy80baconstangwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 20
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,984member
    The national security thing is crackpot material but information is good and knowing where an app has its origin would actually be useful. 
    baconstangFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Nation of origin is already required for physical products in the US.  I don’t see this as any different in scope or effect.  I use the current requirement to actively avoid buying food sourced from China (I value my health), and think it would be useful for software as well. 
    williamlondonDooofusbaconstangwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 20
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,989member
    I got news for a lot of you, software “produced in America” likely uses coders located remotely all over the world. A statement that it was American software would mean nothing in many cases. Example: the number of antivirus and computer security companies using their core engine and data from Kaspersky. The software may be made in the US, but the important part is Russian. 
    edited February 2023 williamlondondewmejahbladeviclauyycronnheadfull0winemuthuk_vanalingamdanoxwatto_cobrabala1234
  • Reply 6 of 20
    There’s zero national security risk unless you’re a federal employee. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,691member
    What I will ask is, practically speaking, when we look at the statement:

"We must ensure that consumers have the information needed to make informed decisions about their data privacy and security,"

What exactly is the advantage, much less the mechanism, that ordinary consumers are expected to leverage to make their own informed decisions about data privacy and security? Do ordinary consumers receive daily briefings, receive periodic updates, or routinely peruse security threat reports from informed sources, private and government based, about how, when, and where security threats are a cause for concern? 

Informed decisions? Let's get real. The vast majority of consumers don't know jack squat about cyber security and privacy threats, much less sift through the noise to separate fact from fiction to begin the process of making an informed decision. You know, the same consumers who routinely post private and personally identifiable information about themselves and their kids and grandkids on social media. What? Me worry? They've been conditioned and primed through shaky media coverage, bias, propaganda, innuendo, speculation, and bullshit-spewed-through-a-bullhorn to automatically associate "enemy status" with whatever and whomever they've been trained to react to in a predictably negative way.

This isn't being "informed," it's being "indoctrinated." 

Soft forms of indoctrination are still indoctrination. The big difference is that soft indoctrination is self-enforced through conditioning while hard indoctrination is government-enforced through guns and work camps.
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 20
    JP234 said:
    Postulate what an arrogant, narcissist, white supermacist, xenophobic, homophobic, misogynist psychopath like DJT would look at age 44.
    Possible answer: Ron DeSantis.

Yeah those poor delusional souls in FL, blindly following that DeSantis fellow.  FL, where  his leadership eliminated half their population with his reckless cv-19 policies.  Census showing a decline as people vigorously flee FL to the well-run blue states of CA, NY, MA, IL… heck all those states that show FL how it should be done.  /s

(Headache brewing from the eye rolling while typing this).
    williamlondonJP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    I don’t mind if they label country of origin if it is from problematic countries. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    It’s a label providing some form information.  Read it or don’t read it.  If that’s you’re thing, then you do you. 

About as useful as the sodium content label on my box of corn flakes in the morning…really only matters if I choose to read it or act on the information.  
    baconstangwilliamlondonwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 20
    The sodium content on the side of your cereal box is already there. You just have to go to the developers website to see country of origin. What is being asked for is more akin to the giant warning labels on cigarette packs. They’re asking for big up-front labels with country of origin. And as was mentioned before, what exactly is ‘country of origin’ ? Is it just the headquarters of the company?  Or where the programmers were sitting when they wrote the code. Or the nationality of those code writers? 
    ronnwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Can we do the same with political contributions? With real penalties when they lie?
    chasmdewmewatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 20
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 39unconfirmed, member
    Meanwhile in Australia we will be seeking labeling of all apps made in the USA.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 20
    dewme said:
    What I will ask is, practically speaking, when we look at the statement:

"We must ensure that consumers have the information needed to make informed decisions about their data privacy and security,"

What exactly is the advantage, much less the mechanism, that ordinary consumers are expected to leverage to make their own informed decisions about data privacy and security? Do ordinary consumers receive daily briefings, receive periodic updates, or routinely peruse security threat reports from informed sources, private and government based, about how, when, and where security threats are a cause for concern? 

Informed decisions? Let's get real. The vast majority of consumers don't know jack squat about cyber security and privacy threats, much less sift through the noise to separate fact from fiction to begin the process of making an informed decision. You know, the same consumers who routinely post private and personally identifiable information about themselves and their kids and grandkids on social media. What? Me worry? They've been conditioned and primed through shaky media coverage, bias, propaganda, innuendo, speculation, and bullshit-spewed-through-a-bullhorn to automatically associate "enemy status" with whatever and whomever they've been trained to react to in a predictably negative way.

This isn't being "informed," it's being "indoctrinated." 

Soft forms of indoctrination are still indoctrination. The big difference is that soft indoctrination is self-enforced through conditioning while hard indoctrination is government-enforced through guns and work camps.
    I think we should have the oath public officials take be continuous until they leave office and everything they say publicly is considered under oath and perjury if they lie then be punishable in a court of law. In fact they should have to take an oath of truth to be candidate running for public office. It would clear out a lot of garbage real quick. Get caught lying to the public and you get fined, removed from office, and depending on the lie, serve time
  • Reply 15 of 20
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,458member
    GeeAye said:
    Meanwhile in Australia we will be seeking labeling of all apps made in the USA.
    We should require the Appstore's to have little Australia Made logos with the percentage of local content by Bytes. 

I kid I kid..... or do I. 

Surely Apples existing Labeling does better at actually informing the customer than playing to nationalistic ideals.
    They could add a label for "App based in country that spies on citizens" but that would include Australia the other 4 eyes and well all the rest not just China. 
  • Reply 16 of 20
    XedXed Posts: 2,836member
    Define made. There are so many ways around this silly requirement even if it could be enforced.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,105member
    What about apps made by a company like Epic Games. Is Epic Games a US company, if a China company like Tencent owns a least 40% of it? 

Epic has always been accused of spying for China (since Tencent 40% investment), though CEO Sweeney has always denied it but have been caught and admitting to collecting certain personal data from its customers. To which Sweeney has always denied sharing those data with Tencent.

But just because Epic Games may be considered a US company, can they be trusted any more than a China company that is using their apps to spy their customers?

edited February 2023 chasmmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Ugh really? Governments are turning the AppStore into a freaking circus 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    XedXed Posts: 2,836member
    davidw said:
    What about apps made by a company like Epic Games. Is Epic Games a US company, if a China company like Tencent owns a least 40% of it? 

Epic has always been accused of spying for China (since Tencent 40% investment), though CEO Sweeney has always denied it but have been caught and admitting to collecting certain personal data from its customers. To which Sweeney has always denied sharing those data with Tencent.

But just because Epic Games may be considered a US company, can they be trusted any more than a China company that is using their apps to spy their customers?

That's what deluded to in my reply. Take TikTok, for example, since it's the app that has idiots freaking out. They have 5 listed US offices and are incorporated in Culver City, CA. While their parent company has an HQ in China and a legal domicile in the Cayman Islands.

But what about their parent company, ByteDance? It's the same thing, so what exactly do the idiot Republicans in FL expect Apple to do? Start doing checks of people based on their nationality or ethical look? I'm sure DeSantis would love that, but it's neither reasonable nor feasible.

But even if ByteDance or TikTok had zero presence in the US and somehow you could police the geographical location in which code was compiled none of this would matter because all they'd have to do is set up the smallest presence, like an office with a Mac they could remote into so they could compile the code.

If they want to crack down on something, how about all the knock off items on Amazon.
    watto_cobra