Fast charging the Apple Watch Series 7 requires 5W USB-C PD adapter or better

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    I’m annoyed about something else. The charger puck for the stainless model no longer comes in stainless. It’s now anodized aluminum.DangDave said:
    Japhey said:
    DangDave said:
    The original AW charging cable, and pre 7 Watches, used less than 5W. The AW 7 and new charging cable need at least 5W to get faster charging. 

I am pretty sure that you do not need a PD Charger, but Apple only sells USB-C PD chargers, all of which provide at least 12W without invoking PD voltage switching. 
    Just a friendly fyi…But if I were you, I would refrain from making guesses around here, as there are more than a few forum members that will absolutely skewer you for it. And they will take great joy in doing so. Anyway, from the Apple support document:

”A comparable third-party USB-C power adapter that supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) of 5W or greater”
     And, so you know what you are talking about? If someone has better and factual and proven information I am always willing to hear it and learn from it. I don’t have an AW 7 yet so I cannot test the voltage, amps, and Watts used by the new charging cord. 
    Don’t act as though you’re so knowledgeable. You’re not going to test anything.

he happens to be correct, and you need to apologize to him. The Apple support document is available, and you could have taken the time to get it from Apple support instead of criticizing him.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212769

Read what DD said without assuming ill-intent and there is absolutely nothing to apologize for. I think we can discuss stuff without turning everything into high-drama.
    He meant it to sound exactly the way it did. He was dismissive, while being too lazy to find out the truth himself. It was easily found.
    Japhey
  • Reply 22 of 25
    melgross said:
    I’m annoyed about something else. The charger puck for the stainless model no longer comes in stainless. It’s now anodized aluminum.DangDave said:
    Japhey said:
    DangDave said:
    The original AW charging cable, and pre 7 Watches, used less than 5W. The AW 7 and new charging cable need at least 5W to get faster charging. 

I am pretty sure that you do not need a PD Charger, but Apple only sells USB-C PD chargers, all of which provide at least 12W without invoking PD voltage switching. 
    Just a friendly fyi…But if I were you, I would refrain from making guesses around here, as there are more than a few forum members that will absolutely skewer you for it. And they will take great joy in doing so. Anyway, from the Apple support document:

”A comparable third-party USB-C power adapter that supports USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) of 5W or greater”
     And, so you know what you are talking about? If someone has better and factual and proven information I am always willing to hear it and learn from it. I don’t have an AW 7 yet so I cannot test the voltage, amps, and Watts used by the new charging cord. 
    Don’t act as though you’re so knowledgeable. ....

He didn't
    Why are you piling on?

Because he did. He was pretty snotty about it too.
    Japhey
  • Reply 23 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    DangDave said:

He didn't
    Why are you piling on?

Obviously we disagree -- especially as you double down on your (false) accusations.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    Japhey said:
    DangDave said:

He didn't
    Why are you piling on?

Obviously we disagree -- especially as you double down on your (false) accusations.
    It’s not false George. And I seem to remember that we all get sucked into arguments that are rife with rancor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    I did some testing on this and determined Apple's support docs are wrong.

The Apple Watch Fast Charger does NOT require USB-C PD after all! This makes sense though because it only ever used 5V and less than 5W, which is exactly what older USB-A ports can provide.  I tested this by connecting a USB-C fast charger to a USB-C -> USB-A dongle and then just plugging that into a normal 5V USB-A port. Fast charging performance and power draw was identical. 22% to 92% in 40 minutes. 

I have no idea why Apple's support docs insist on a USB-C PD charger. My guess is because of liability and perhaps other risks if they encourage consumers to do what I did. But if you're in a pinch, you don't need a USB-C PD charger at all to Fast Charge.