New 24-inch iMac in production testing, but won't ship until late 2023

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    darkvader said:
    M68000 said:
    “ get rid of the brick?   I guess that means the power supply.  If so,  that is not happening.  LOL you can’t cram a 143 watt power supply into that super thin device.  Also,  regarding the screen size,  it’s actually 23.5 inches on Apple’s own web page specs.  it’s a beautiful device, tempting despite the smallish screen.   

The brick is stupid and incredibly annoying.  I just installed two today, and replaced 3 other iMacs with minis and 27" LG screens.  The iMacs (in local university color) went on the front desks where they are customer facing and I could hide the stupid bricks under the desk.  The minis with cheap (but actually really nice) 4k screens went to back office machines that would have been 27" iMacs, but there's no such thing now.  Apple probably left at least $4k on the table because they couldn't be bothered to make a big screen iMac.

And NOBODY cares about "super thin" in a desktop computer.  Can't fit the power supply?  MAKE IT THICKER.  And don't get me started on the stupid ethernet port in the brick.  Seriously stupid.  "But you don't have to have an ethernet cable on the desk."  YES, I DO.  I have to have an ethernet cable going up to the phone, then another one going back under the desk from the phone to the stupid brick.  The brick that's now in the floor where at some point somebody is going to kick it.

I am one of the users who use Ethernet cables for connecting to the Internet. I am really frustrated with flaky 5Ghz connection on my 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro despite both iPad Pro (11", 2nd Generation) and iPhone 13 cruising happily on 5GHz connection. I've wasted a lot of time, diagnosing and figuring out the issue. Genius Bar isn't helpful at all.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    My second brand-new Mac computer that I bought was 27" iMac (Mid-2010). I still have it to this day despite its ageing features that no longer work with the newer macOS and its latest features. For me 27" screen is perfect size, and all-in-one design is also perfect. I am still waiting for Apple to release the new iMac in larger size such as 27" or 32" to replace my current iMac. I am not interested in having to buy separate mac mini, monitor, webcam, etc. with so many cables; I just want all-in-one Mac with just one cable for power supply.

An Australian company, Juicy Crumb, has come up with the retrofit kit that allows the owners of 27" iMac (from 2011 on) to replace the logic board, graphic card, and a few components with latest generation mac mini (of course, without its aluminium housing). Whether it's a genuine item or vapourware remains to be seen.

mitchelljd
  • Reply 23 of 37
    An Australian company, Juicy Crumb, has come up with the retrofit kit that allows the owners of 27" iMac (from 2011 on) to replace the logic board, graphic card, and a few components with latest generation mac mini (of course, without its aluminium housing). Whether it's a genuine item or vapourware remains to be seen.

Neat, but that is only for the Mid-2011 iMac 27" — it’s not for later Retina iMac 5K, which have a custom driver for the display. 
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 24 of 37
    I'm mystified by no early iMac M2 refresh. The iMac was the first Apple Silicon complete redesign. Maybe it didn't sell as well as they had hoped, and changes are coming. Or maybe they had a lot of M1 chips in stock, something had to give, and the iMac was low-hanging fruit = the only design that was already fully transitioned, so the easiest to sell with the M1 still in it.

• I think it's possible the iMac is simply no longer positioned on the leading edge. It's now a family-oriented machine, and the Macintosh era that culminated in the iMac Pro is over. So it will sit on the trailing edge, and this rumor is wrong and it is the M2 iMac that is being tested for production, not the M3 iMac.
    • It's also possible that the iMac and the Air will trade off for the leading edge. So, M1 iMac is first M1, then M2 Air is the first M2, then M3 iMac is the first M3, then M4 Air is the first M4, and so on and so forth.

The only way either of these works is if Apple brings out a full line of new displays. That's the only way to shut up the chorus of Retina iMac 5K and iMac Pro owners who are WTF, as seen in this thread and many others. Definitely a pipe dream, but a nice one, and it's true that the new Samsung 5K copycat combines most of the best features of not just the 27" Retina Studio Display (matte and Retina), but also the $999 stand for the Pro Display (rotates to portrait). Apple needs to respond, IMHO. I think there's something instructive, I'm not sure exactly what, in the fact Samsung never felt the need to respond during the eight years when Apple's 5K display was limited to the iMac. It was only when Apple put it in a standalone display that Samsung came out with this.

The Studio Display would be the low end, with 28" (6K) and 32" (8K) Liquid Retina Pro Display options beyond it. Maybe also a 30" (7K) Retina Studio Display, with similar camera/sound features as the current Studio Display.
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 25 of 37
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,563member
    tht said:
    I'd like to hear Apple explain why the iMac 24 wasn't updated to the M2. If they did it to drive the price down to $1000, I can understand it, but no signs of prices changing. Otherwise, it's non-sensical to skip an entire SoC generation.
    Well, I suppose the apologists would cite that the M1 iMac still more than meets the requirements of the target audience. Which to be fair is probably correct, after all it's not like the average receptionist or home user is suddenly going to need more power to browse the internet and check email. Apple also tends to not discount a product, ever, so it will sit there for years becoming worse and worse value and Apple will refuse to drop the price. Shit, just look at what they did with the Trash Can Mac Pro...

Personally though, I think it's just good old fashioned corporate greed. They don't need to change it, it's not like the iMac has the volume of the MacBook Air line and yes, the longer it hangs around the more profit they make when they sell it.

For those that dream of a 27" iMac, I hear you. But Apple has worked out that they can make boat loads more money selling you a Studio Display bundled with a Mac Studio. Let's not forget that until recently you could buy a 5K 27" iMac for the cost of what Apple now sells the display for on its own. Tim Cook certainly knows how wring out every last cent.
    edited March 2023 baconstang
  • Reply 26 of 37
    rods5rods5 Posts: 6member
    I am STILL WAITING for a iMac 27”!!!  I have two 27” iMacs I want to replace.  One is a 2017 and the other is even older.  I don’t understand why Apple is limiting the iMac to only a 24” model?  I would buy two new 2023 27” iMacs today if they were available.  Come on Apple!! Put out a 27” iMac!!!!!!!!!
    mitchelljdbaconstang
  • Reply 27 of 37
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    I'm sitting here in front of a late 2015 27" Quad i7 intel.  32 gb, 2tb ssd.

Apple, please come with a 27" iMac and let me retired it. 

baconstang
  • Reply 28 of 37
    +1 on bigger screen.  27" minimum, 30-32 even better.  And the white front is just gross.
    baconstang
  • Reply 29 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If the market were there for a 27” iMac Apple would bring one back. A few complainers on a tech blog does not a market make. Apple, in my opinion, has decided the market moving forward will be the Mac Mini with an Apple branded monitor, sized selected by the user. The 24” iMac is the perfect size for home/office/clerical use. When you watch TV shows about scientific topics it’s ALL laptops with giant monitors, not all-in-ones.
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 30 of 37
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    My first iMac was a 20" G5 - loaded and I thought it was a monster - biggest screen I had ever used,  Now I "may" buy a 27" iMac if the price is right, but I would be just as happy with the 24" version. At my age (78) it might be nice to see movies on the bigger screen, but I can always put my `13" MBP on my beii and be just as happy.

Best value for me would probably be a 15" M3 MBA and the very old Apple display that is somewhere in the house.  For an old fart who first had to write programs using punch cards just thinking about a new M3 15" MBA is grand,  I'll trade in my 13" MBP and get it even cheaper.  The savings over other options would be enough to put with FF Miles and take my wife to Ireland this summer!
    baconstang
  • Reply 31 of 37
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,915member
    I'm mystified by no early iMac M2 refresh. The iMac was the first Apple Silicon complete redesign. Maybe it didn't sell as well as they had hoped, and changes are coming. Or maybe they had a lot of M1 chips in stock, something had to give, and the iMac was low-hanging fruit = the only design that was already fully transitioned, so the easiest to sell with the M1 still in it.

• I think it's possible the iMac is simply no longer positioned on the leading edge. It's now a family-oriented machine, and the Macintosh era that culminated in the iMac Pro is over. So it will sit on the trailing edge, and this rumor is wrong and it is the M2 iMac that is being tested for production, not the M3 iMac.
    • It's also possible that the iMac and the Air will trade off for the leading edge. So, M1 iMac is first M1, then M2 Air is the first M2, then M3 iMac is the first M3, then M4 Air is the first M4, and so on and so forth.

The only way either of these works is if Apple brings out a full line of new displays. That's the only way to shut up the chorus of Retina iMac 5K and iMac Pro owners who are WTF, as seen in this thread and many others. Definitely a pipe dream, but a nice one, and it's true that the new Samsung 5K copycat combines most of the best features of not just the 27" Retina Studio Display (matte and Retina), but also the $999 stand for the Pro Display (rotates to portrait). Apple needs to respond, IMHO. I think there's something instructive, I'm not sure exactly what, in the fact Samsung never felt the need to respond during the eight years when Apple's 5K display was limited to the iMac. It was only when Apple put it in a standalone display that Samsung came out with this.

The Studio Display would be the low end, with 28" (6K) and 32" (8K) Liquid Retina Pro Display options beyond it. Maybe also a 30" (7K) Retina Studio Display, with similar camera/sound features as the current Studio Display.
    Because then it would be a Mac mini without the display and you can get a Mac mini with a display for less than the iMac. Apple is smart enough not to cannibalize their own products with another product. Once the iMac with M3 arrives it will be better as far as performance goes so there's an incentive to buy an iMac over a Mac mini. 

The iMac has always been a family oriented Mac. IDK why anyone would think it was any different. 
  • Reply 32 of 37
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,687member
    It's been two years since the M1 iMac debuted, so it is due for an update. And it doesn't make sense to wait for the M3. So I would expect it soon.

As far as a large iMac... I'd like to think they're waiting to see how sales of the Mac Studio and Studio Display play out, before they release another larger iMac. It could also be that they're also waiting for the right SoC, maybe an M3 Pro and M3 Max, just as they waited for the M2 Pro to finally update the higher-end Mac mini.
    baconstang
  • Reply 33 of 37
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,144member
    I take it back.   I DON'T want a new 27" 5K.  I want a 30" 5K5.  

Since 2009, I've viewed the iMac offerings as two separate things.  The 21.5" / 24" for home, casual use and the 27" for business use.  I don't mean "pro" use where the work is all essentially done on the Mac.  I mean where the Mac serves as a way to process, analyze, present and communicate the work that is mostly done on other equipment and/or other locations.  A better screen, faster CPU and better GPU and ability to go crazy with the RAM, if needed, is the 5K.  
    When I got my late 2015 maxed out 5K (except the storage which I use external for a number of reasons), it was the fastest single core Mac that Apple offered.  It remained the fastest for nearly 2 years.  It certainly wasn't just a home machine, but I didn't need the expense, a dozen cores and complications of a Mac Pro and external screens et al.  

Now, I just want to keep the same basic situation.   A capable machine that will last me the next 5-7 years.  A little more screen would be nice, and 5K5 to keep it 'Retina'.
    The guts of a maxed Mini M2 pro would probably fit the bill.          DO IT !!!!
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 34 of 37
    macxpress said:
    The iMac has always been a family oriented Mac. IDK why anyone would think it was any different. 
    April 2017, Craig Federighi: “… The original iMac, you never would’ve thought as remotely touching pro uses. And now you look at today’s 5k iMac, top configs, it’s incredibly powerful, and a huge fraction of what would’ve traditionally required the Mac Pros of old and are being well addressed by iMac — whether its audio editing, video editing, graphics, arts and so forth. But there’s still even further we can take iMac as a high performance, pro system, and we think that form factor can address even more of the pro market.”

The iMac Pro was released later that year.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Come on Apple, hurry up and get the iMac 24/27” m3 out asap. I’ve been waiting to replace my ageing iMac for ages, not wanting the first generation m1 iMac. I just hope - but don’t think - that Apple will make the RAM user replaceable, not soldered on. 
  • Reply 36 of 37
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,915member
    deanbar said:
    Come on Apple, hurry up and get the iMac 24/27” m3 out asap. I’ve been waiting to replace my ageing iMac for ages, not wanting the first generation m1 iMac. I just hope - but don’t think - that Apple will make the RAM user replaceable, not soldered on. 
    With the exception of maybe the next Mac Pro, no Mac will ever have user replaceable RAM because of the unified memory architecture as part Apple Silicon. So buy all you can afford for both RAM and storage but specifically RAM as there are ways around storage issues should you start to run out.