New 24-inch iMac in production testing, but won't ship until late 2023

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited March 2023
The update to the 24-inch iMac has allegedly entered a late stage of development, making it very plausible for Apple to release it in the second half of 2023.

24-inch iMac
24-inch iMac

A refresh of the 24-inch iMac was anticipated to be held back until the launch of M3 chips, with previous rumors putting a potential launch of the model into very late 2023 or early 2024. It now appears that the release could occur earlier in the latter half of 2023, rather than the next year.

According to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, the New iMac has reached EVT, or engineering validation testing, which is a late stage in development which involves production testing.

However, the models won't necessarily enter production immediately, as it is reckoned that mass manufacturing will start in at least three months. This puts a shipment of the model into the second half of 2023, which is better than previous estimates.

The new 24-inch iMac is expected to be the same size as the current model, and have the same color range, but with changes to how the stand attaches and the relocation of some internal components. With development supposedly coinciding with the M3 chip timeline, the iMac may become one of the first to use chips from that generation.

The timing from serial leaker Gurman seems plausible, since this would put the iMac as updating about 2 and a half years after launch, rather than three for a 2024 launch. However, Gurman is also the source of the previous late-2023 and early-2024 timescale, with no other corroborating leakers at this time.

Along with the iMac, Gurman claims three new Macs will be arriving between late spring and summer. The list includes the rumored New MacBook Air with a 15-inch display, though rumors have previously claimed a late-2023 release was happening.

Gurman also refers to an updated 13-inch MacBook Air, as well as a first Mac Pro with Apple Silicon, though the latter is a long-rumored Mac that may not necessarily land in the short term with its potentially complex chip setup, depending on which rumors you believe.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Put an effing bigger screen on it!
    DAalsethjibdanoxdutchlordwilliamlondonbaconstangking editor the gratelkruppelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    No.

Sincerely,

Tim
    9secondkox2FileMakerFelleraaplfanboymitchelljd
  • Reply 3 of 37
    jibjib Posts: 64member
    As the owner of an iMac Pro, I'd be a customer if it has a 27" screen and sufficient RAM and storage.
    dutchlordmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonbaconstangking editor the gratewatto_cobra9secondkox2Scot1gwmacSpitbath
  • Reply 4 of 37
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,284member
    Bigger screen 27 inch to 32 inch, put the Mac computer components into an XDR enclosure with any Apple Silicon SOC in it sold, the form factor is King.
    edited March 2023 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonking editor the gratelkruppwatto_cobra9secondkox2gwmacd_2
  • Reply 5 of 37
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 263member
    Stil waiting for a new 27 inch iMac, Tim…..
    williamlondonbaconstangking editor the gratelkruppelijahgmacguiwatto_cobra9secondkox2darkvaderScot1
  • Reply 6 of 37
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,144member
    I'm still using my late '15 5K running Mojave because of Aperture and other 32bit reasons. 
    Years ago I thought 'fine, AS is out and a 5K replacement should be happening soon'.  

Still waiting... Although that new Mini M2 max might be my way forward if they keep dragging their feet on a 27".
    lkruppwatto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 7 of 37
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,070member
    I don't think we'll see another 27" iMac. More likely is a 27" monitor that doesn't cost $1600, which can be paired with the newly powerful Mac Mini for a cost effective 27" solution. Of course, you can achieve that now with a third party monitor, but you lose that overall Apple design on your desktop. 
    watto_cobraScot1lkrupp
  • Reply 8 of 37
    thttht Posts: 5,616member
    I'd like to hear Apple explain why the iMac 24 wasn't updated to the M2. If they did it to drive the price down to $1000, I can understand it, but no signs of prices changing. Otherwise, it's non-sensical to skip an entire SoC generation.
    edited March 2023 watto_cobrapulseimagesd_2
  • Reply 9 of 37
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,418member
    The 24" iMac line is a good size for many customers, so don't mess with it. The white surround looks wrong. But bring back a 27" iMac and offer a 5K 30-32" monitor.
    watto_cobraaaplfanboyolivertwistd_2
  • Reply 10 of 37
    danox said:
    Bigger screen 27 inch to 32 inch, put the Mac computer components into an XDR enclosure with any Apple Silicon SOC in it sold, the form factor is King.
    ^^^This^^^
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 37
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,915member
    I can see them releasing a 27" iMac with M2 Pro offered. The 24" can have the M2 only inside it. Not officially an iMac Pro and shouldn't be marketed as such but it would serve people who would like a little more capability than the standard M2, similar to what the Mac mini now offers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 37
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,030member
    BiC said:
    lkrupp said:
    No.

Sincerely,

Tim

PUT an effing bigger screen on it! And remove the BRiCK - that is what the Macintosh was about.

Sincerely,

BiC

This. 

A million times this. 

iMac is the ultimate Mac, minimalist, efficient, and glorious. 

The brick is a ghetto move that turns the iMac into a fisher price toy lookalike. 

Small screen is lame. 

Give it 32” and enough thermal overhead to handle a 3nm M3 Ultra. 

edited March 2023 darkvadergwmacbaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 37
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,915member
    BiC said:
    lkrupp said:
    No.

Sincerely,

Tim

PUT an effing bigger screen on it! And remove the BRiCK - that is what the Macintosh was about.

Sincerely,

BiC

This. 

A million times this. 

iMac is the ultimate Mac, minimalist, efficient, and glorious. 

The brick is a ghetto move that turns the iMac into a fisher price toy lookalike. 

Small screen is lame. 

Give it 32” and enough thermal overhead to handle a 3nm M3 Ultra. 

Yeah no way is it getting a 32" screen lol. This is still a consumer Mac in the end. 
  • Reply 14 of 37
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,731member
    This timing seems reasonable.  

Considering the M2 appears to be more power hungry than the M1, a die-shrunk M3 that is more efficient seems like the perfect chip for the super thin iMac.  

Yeah, I’d prefer a 27-32” model, but I know that isn’t going to happen.   Apple wants us to buy the 27” display separately for $1600 with a Mac mini not a whole iMac for under $2000 with the same screen. 

Where is the ASi Mac Pro?   I know I’ll never own one, but I’d like this transition to be over and done.  
  • Reply 15 of 37
    M68000M68000 Posts: 846member
    “ get rid of the brick?   I guess that means the power supply.  If so,  that is not happening.  LOL you can’t cram a 143 watt power supply into that super thin device.  Also,  regarding the screen size,  it’s actually 23.5 inches on Apple’s own web page specs.  it’s a beautiful device, tempting despite the smallish screen.   
  • Reply 16 of 37
    I'm still using my late '15 5K running Mojave because of Aperture and other 32bit reasons. 
    Years ago I thought 'fine, AS is out and a 5K replacement should be happening soon'.  

Still waiting... Although that new Mini M2 max might be my way forward if they keep dragging their feet on a 27".
    Aperture being resurrected, and making it back to life working on Apple Silicon would be very nice…… 
    irwinmauricebaconstang
  • Reply 17 of 37
    charlesn said:
    I don't think we'll see another 27" iMac. More likely is a 27" monitor that doesn't cost $1600, which can be paired with the newly powerful Mac Mini for a cost effective 27" solution. Of course, you can achieve that now with a third party monitor, but you lose that overall Apple design on your desktop. 
    With the price is Apple charging having a third-party monitor is a last resort type of thing, LG and Samsung are terrible without Apple Curation, when it comes to monitors.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    M68000 said:
    “ get rid of the brick?   I guess that means the power supply.  If so,  that is not happening.  LOL you can’t cram a 143 watt power supply into that super thin device.  Also,  regarding the screen size,  it’s actually 23.5 inches on Apple’s own web page specs.  it’s a beautiful device, tempting despite the smallish screen.   

The brick is stupid and incredibly annoying.  I just installed two today, and replaced 3 other iMacs with minis and 27" LG screens.  The iMacs (in local university color) went on the front desks where they are customer facing and I could hide the stupid bricks under the desk.  The minis with cheap (but actually really nice) 4k screens went to back office machines that would have been 27" iMacs, but there's no such thing now.  Apple probably left at least $4k on the table because they couldn't be bothered to make a big screen iMac.

And NOBODY cares about "super thin" in a desktop computer.  Can't fit the power supply?  MAKE IT THICKER.  And don't get me started on the stupid ethernet port in the brick.  Seriously stupid.  "But you don't have to have an ethernet cable on the desk."  YES, I DO.  I have to have an ethernet cable going up to the phone, then another one going back under the desk from the phone to the stupid brick.  The brick that's now in the floor where at some point somebody is going to kick it.

baconstang
  • Reply 19 of 37
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,829member
    Yes, please.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,502member
    Why do people still buy the iMac? 
    You can get a MBP, use whatever monitor you want and be able to take it wherever you want. 
    If you’re strapped to a desk you could just get a Mini or Studio and plug whatever monitor. 
    What’s the iMac appeal in this day and age, I honestly don’t see the benefits. 
    damn_its_hot