UK police shocked to discover taser disguised as iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone
A taser designed to resemble Apple's iPhone was taken from a boy, and UK police say it was capable of delivering 650,000 volts.

iPhone-shaped tasers are easy to find in US markets
iPhone-shaped tasers are easy to find in US markets

Non-lethal tasers are illegal in the UK, but that didn't deter someone from smuggling one in. The taser in question was built to look like an iPhone, which can be purchased easily in the United States.

According to a report from Birmingham Live, police in Sutton Coldfield arrested a boy in possession of such a taser. It resembled an iPhone, but a button pressed on the side showed it was clearly a taser.

"Apparently they were developed in the States to combat muggings and can deliver shock of up to 650,000 volts of electricity," Councillor Richard Parkin said after a ward meeting. "They are illegal in this country; possession of a non-lethal taser is a criminal offence which I understand carries a maximum prison sentence of ten years."

An actual photo of the taser wasn't released, but a quick search on Amazon US will produce plenty of results. Tasers are sold in a variety of forms, from key fobs to flashlights, in order to keep a potential target from suspecting it is a weapon.

The products are generally sold as a tool used by people afraid of being targeted by muggers or other criminals on the street. Tasers generally deliver a non-lethal shock that can pack quite a punch -- leaving an assailant incapacitated for several moments.

The high voltage rating of 650,000 volts is more marketing than anything. High voltages are meaningless if a product cannot provide a strong and sustained current.

This novelty iPhone taser would likely hurt and knock someone down but wouldn't be as effective as something more purpose-built, like a taser gun. Remember that volts hurt, but amps kill.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,971member
    It is a crazy world.

My sister-in-law was absolutely shocked to see young kids having fun with family out on the beach past midnight and running up and down the promenade. 

I asked her what she expected in 31ºC night temps when kids can't get to sleep. 

She said in the UK, she'd prefer to keep them indoors after dark! If you take your eyes off them they might disappear forever. 

Now I learn you can buy tasers on Amazon. 

entropys
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,140member
    Taser is "WTF! Keep us out of this!"

The original report properly calls it an "electroshock weapon". 
    DAalsethwatto_cobradav
  • Reply 3 of 13
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Thank you for the “volts hurt, amps kill”  line and the reference to current.   Those without understanding of electricity might be shocked by the 650kV being bandied about (no pun intended).  

Also, as has been noted in the comments.   This is not a taser, which is a brand of electroshock device.  This is just a generic electroshock device. 
    mknelsonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 242member, administrator, moderator, editor
    mknelson said:

Yeah, semantics are fun, but do you also call velcro "hook and loop fasteners" because you want to avoid the brand? I've never once heard a real-life person call a device like this an "electroshock weapon."

Writing has to be understood, and people understand what a taser is. :)
    baconstangwatto_cobralolliverCluntBaby92CloudTalkin
  • Reply 5 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    chadbag said:
    Thank you for the “volts hurt, amps kill”  line and the reference to current.   Those without understanding of electricity might be shocked by the 650kV being bandied about (no pun intended).  

Also, as has been noted in the comments.   This is not a taser, which is a brand of electroshock device.  This is just a generic electroshock device. 
    AC stops your heart, DC cooks you like a hotdog which includes splitting and sizzling.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,144member
    I wish it could be reverse engineered so that spam callers could get a taste of that 650KV...
    watto_cobrajeffharrisJaiOh81dav
  • Reply 7 of 13
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 826member
    Cool! Where can I get one?

My taser looks like… a taser.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,267member
    Can't innovate anymore, my arse!
    avon b7davFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 13
    "Non-lethal tasers are illegal in the UK" - which would imply that lethal tasers are legal?
    JaiOh81dewmeCluntBaby92
  • Reply 10 of 13
    tobiantobian Posts: 155member
    I got one years ago on vietnamese market, just out of curiosity. It resembled an iPhone 4.. cost like $3 :smile: 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,502member
    It does not deliver 650K volts, that's absurd. These voltage claims on tasers are of course false, for a device to reach such voltage you would first need a large coil, then your taser terminals would have to be much further apart, won't make for a great taser. If you do try to push such voltage between two taser terminals the discharge will start at the 50K volts mark anyway.
    baconstang
  • Reply 12 of 13
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    mknelson said:

Yeah, semantics are fun, but do you also call velcro "hook and loop fasteners" because you want to avoid the brand? I've never once heard a real-life person call a device like this an "electroshock weapon."

Writing has to be understood, and people understand what a taser is. :)
    Actually the generic term for these things is “stun gun”, not taser.  A taser usually involves wires and hooks being shot at you and releasing the voltage to you.  While some tasers do have the contact method of operation like a stun gun, that is ancillary to its normal mode of operation.  

When you hear of someone being tased by a cop it is almost always being shot by the hooked wires and voltage applied.  Not a stun gun application. 

baconstang
  • Reply 13 of 13
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 706member
    In the U.S. it would be an AR-15 disguised as an iPhone.