Epic CEO fears Apple's influence over the metaverse

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    chadbag said:
    clemynx said:
    I don't think Apple is their risk factor.

I think the fact that people are is interested in VR as they were in 3D television is the risk factor.

The number of people who want this crap in any near future is a rounding error.
    That’s a really ignorant take. VR is amazing for many types of videogames for example. 
    That’s not an ignorant take.  As an overarching interface to the next gen internet it is spot on. Besides Zuckerberg I don’t know of anyone besides Sweeney who thinks this is a good idea.   We’re not talking about dedicated game use — no problem with that.  And we’re not talking vertical market use for specialty needs.  That is all fine.  We’re talking about the idea that people want to interact with each other regularly on the network through VR.   No one is asking for that or cares about it.  
    Oh yes sorry, I agree completely. 
    radarthekatentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 49
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    lkrupp said:
    This from the CEO of a company who just had to pay a $245 million fine for tricking children into running up charges on its games. What a twat!
    Epic also takes a 60% cut of third-party content for Fortnite. Until recently, it took a 95% cut. The hypocrisy is staggering.
    uraharaBart Ywilliamlondonentropysfastasleepwatto_cobraravnorodom
  • Reply 43 of 49
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    longfang said:
    Will it even be called the Metaverse if Apple builds it?
    eWorld? Just kidding.
    iWorld
    watto_cobraravnorodom
  • Reply 44 of 49
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Dooofus said:
    Why don't you build your own company with it's own walled garden. Then you can dictate who can do what in it. But since you have been incapable of pulling that off, you just expect Apple to hand you the keys to theirs? LOL
    But his is what they are trying to do. From comment above: Epic also takes a 60% cut of third-party content for Fortnite. Until recently, it took a 95% cut. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 49
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    xbit said:
    lkrupp said:
    This from the CEO of a company who just had to pay a $245 million fine for tricking children into running up charges on its games. What a twat!
    Epic also takes a 60% cut of third-party content for Fortnite. Until recently, it took a 95% cut. The hypocrisy is staggering.
    Given a lot of that content is unlicensed copies of other people’s IP it seems even more insidious.

is there any company pushing the meta verse branding that doesn’t materially benefit from fraud?
    Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 49
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Epics concerns have all aligned under one idea: How they can more efficiently fleece money from children.

Any other industry player who gets in the way of that has been a target for their nonsense, marketing campaigns and stonewalling.

Pay close attention to any company that only holds up values when the those values are being used to change something to their benefit. Such as Epic talking about small developers, they could help them in numerous ways, but don't. However they claim to speak for them the moment it comes to unlocking a new revenue source for their own interests.

mattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 49
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Says the Chinese communist bought and paid for Epic Games and Sweeney….

now imagine our current government  is actually helping this commie spy against Apple…
    edited March 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    danox said:
    I don't think Apple is their risk factor.

I think the fact that people are is interested in VR as they were in 3D television is the risk factor.

The number of people who want this crap in any near future is a rounding error.
    Spoken like someone who has never tried VR.
    VR/AR, or whatever else you wanna call it can’t work until the OS for it and all of the hardware used with it is miniaturized, note the battery life and the computing power basically need to be the same if not better, as the latest computers made and be designed to occupy the space of a normal frame of glasses that anyone would be proud to wear without a second thought, what tech company out there do you think has that ability it isn’t? Epic, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Nvidia, AMD or Intel. The only company with the chops to do so is Apple Computer.

Which is why Sweeney Todd is crying like a customer in a barbers chair.
    VR headset hardware already exists for many years now. AR glasses hardware already exists, though not as advanced as where Apple is aiming.

I'm not sure if you mean to reply to me, though, as it doesn't make any sense in response to what I was replying to.
    watto_cobra