Customers still can't access My Cloud data after Western Digital hack fallout

Posted:
in General Discussion
A hacker breached Western Digital and stole data, and in response, the company has shut down a wide swathe of its services which is preventing users from accessing their My Cloud files.

Breach at Western Digital
Breach at Western Digital

On April 3, Western Digital disclosed that it had a security incident on March 26. It is still unknown who was responsible for the breach or if it was a ransomware attack.

However, some of Western Digital's data was stolen in the incident. The company is trying to determine how much data was affected and if it included information from customers.

Western Digital took the systems and services offline as a precautionary measure. The Western Digital-induced outage for the company's My Cloud services started on April 3, and the platform is still down.

As a result, users cannot access My Cloud, My Cloud Home, My Cloud Home Duo, My Cloud OS 5, SanDisk ibi, and the SanDisk Ixpand Wireless Charger service.

"As part of its remediation efforts, Western Digital is actively working to restore impacted infrastructure and services," it reported. "Based on the investigation to date, the Company believes the unauthorized party obtained certain data from its systems and is working to understand the nature and scope of that data."

My Cloud services are still down
My Cloud services are still down

Ira Winkler, Field CISO and Vice President at CYE speculated that it might involve intellectual property theft.

"IP theft is unfortunately common in this industry, and Western Digital is a leader in the field and has a lot of data attractive to competitors," he told SDxCentral. "It is possible that they have some information about clients, such as warranty registration related information, and some personal information on their employees."

The investigation is ongoing, and Western Digital is working with security and forensic experts.

Backing up data

If Western Digital customers haven't already, they should ensure their data is backed up to multiple cloud services and offline hard drives, though that might not be possible at the moment if My Cloud is down.

A common refrain for data backups is known as the "rule of 3" or "3-2-1" strategy. It means having at least three copies of your data, two in one location and one at another site.

For example, Mac users can use Time Machine to back up their computers and store the data on external hard drives. Then, according to the 3-2-1 strategy, one or two of those hard drives can stay at home while one can be stored at a friend or family member's house.

People can also store their data on a cloud service like Apple's iCloud, Backblaze, or others. These two companies encrypt user data stored on their servers, making them an ideal choice to stay safe from data breaches.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    thttht Posts: 5,605member
    Yup. Get yourself an external hard drive and use Time Machine. It's a super cheap solution to complement Internet backup services you may use. Or have 2 Time Machine backups even. 
    jeffharriswatto_cobrapulseimagesaaplfanboy
  • Reply 2 of 15
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,130member
    Interesting. I have one of their NAS devices with the option for external access turned off. I'm guessing it should be unaffected, but since I'm presently external to that location and have external access turned off, I'll have to wait to find out. 
    davenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    BayheyBayhey Posts: 1member
    The reported "outage" started on April 2 with no updates since April 3 from Western Digital. Thousands of people are without their files and the customer service department fails to keep its customers updated about what is happening or the progress. We've been getting our information from people like you Andrew Orr. Thank you for posting and we hope you can find out more. 

You can read more about what people are experiencing here at WD Community. 

https://community.wd.com/c/home-cloud-storage/my-cloud-home/229
    edited April 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I own a couple of WD external drives for extra storage and local Time Machine backup. Drives have worked well but I always assumed their cloud service would be sketchy and never made use of it. 
    watto_cobraravnorodompulseimagesaaplfanboy
  • Reply 5 of 15
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,958member
    Their basic drives have been good for me but the company is terrible.

I was pushed into applying a firmware update onto an external drive using their universal firmware updater. It was supposedly for security reasons. The drive was out of warranty. 

The update failed and all access to the drive was lost. I had other copies of the data but the company washed their hands of me. 

Their only suggestion was to try and get the drive out of the enclosure and re-running the updater from a PC. 

It was precisely the kind of situation that required stellar customer support. Dumping a generic disclaimer in the read me file of an update that they were pushing onto users for security reasons doesn't cut it. 

I haven't bought another drive from them since and have steered well clear of their Cloud services.

• Reply 6 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Rule #1, never use any manufacturer’s provided software to format or ‘secure’ an external drive. Wipe it clean and format using only Apple’s Disk Utility. You’re welcome.
    watto_cobraseanjaaplfanboy
  • Reply 7 of 15
    It would appear that previously turning off and opting out of the external access option was indeed the right choice. I still appear to have full access to my WD NAS device. It shows up as a network drive and I am able to log in locally to the device's dashboard. I'd chosen to opt out of all that as a security concern that it would be a hole through which malcontents might get into my stuff. Hadn't thought of it as a bulwark against malcontents who might just turn WD's entire cloud network into a hockey puck.
    edited April 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 170member
    The best solution to these types of issues it to use local NAS, and protect it with WireGuard tunneling with a configuration file for each authorized device to access out side of the network. I use PiVPN on Ubuntu server, and WireGuard clients for reach device.  This way I can also access my home router from anywhere in the world.  I am unaffected by mishaps with WD, QNAP, Synology, or any other commercial solution.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    stew56stew56 Posts: 1member
    I'm not very knowledgeable with setting up NAS's so I hadn't set mine to exclude external access, is there anyway I can access my files now and if not should I turn my hard drives off until this is sorted? I was just about to buy another MyCloudUltraEX2 last week when this news broke I'm glad now I didn't and I think I'll just buy ordinary external hard drives from now on. All my photos and videos are on a MyCloudUltraEX2 and a MyHome, now I'm realising I have been very stupid and should maybe of used a different manufacturer for my second backup device. I'm hoping maybe some of you very knowledgeable people can offer me some advice?
    Thanks
    Stewart
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    stew56 said:
    I'm not very knowledgeable with setting up NAS's so I hadn't set mine to exclude external access, is there anyway I can access my files now and if not should I turn my hard drives off until this is sorted? I was just about to buy another MyCloudUltraEX2 last week when this news broke I'm glad now I didn't and I think I'll just buy ordinary external hard drives from now on. All my photos and videos are on a MyCloudUltraEX2 and a MyHome, now I'm realising I have been very stupid and should maybe of used a different manufacturer for my second backup device. I'm hoping maybe some of you very knowledgeable people can offer me some advice?
    Thanks
    Stewart
    WD’s status page indicates they have local access up and running and suggests that you can set that up now if you haven’t already. Look under the local access section for an instructional link on how to set that up. https://status.mycloud.com/os4
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    We had off-site storage of LTO tapes at a hardened location the last place I worked before retirement.  The USAF base in town used the same location for some of their offsite storage.    Four levels of monthly full system backup (two most recent off-site).  Seven daily incremental backups of high activity files (with full backups of accounting and inventory/planning files; two most recent off-site).  We also retained permanently a full backup from each calendar year-end, plus accounting and inventory from finalized audits.  This was for a minicomputer.  We also had NAS backup for PCs, plus backup facilities for engineering (UNIX).  

I should add an offsite full backup (likely at a local bank safety deposit box) later this year for my mac (now that I'm retired).   Local incremental backups to a Seagate drive, with most documents and email on iCloud.  Also, a Gmail account for junk mail (larger free storage limit), and for use in an emergency (on a Chromebook).  

The safety deposit box storage should cover me in the event of a home fire, tornado or bombing.  Don't think I need to worry about a nuclear attack of the USAF base (I'd likely be vaporized).  
  • Reply 12 of 15
    As far as unfullfilled orders are concerned go old school. Pull items from inventory that are to be shipped using the internal customer database. Pack the items. Fill out shipping labels manually. Bring items to UPS and ship overnight. When the system is back up enter the information. Not rocket science. 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,654member
    One general thing to keep in mind when you’re talking about using redundancy strategies, like the 3-2-1 one mentioned in the article, is to be aware of what kinds of failures you’re trying to protect yourself from when using redundancy. Having redundant backup drives is a good hedge against a single drive failure, but it has one gaping hole - if you’re using the same backup software to write to all of your redundant copies you can still be at risk of a flaw in the backup software itself corrupting all of your backups.

One way to avoid this type of single point failure in a redundancy based strategy is to use different backup software or different backup strategies for some of your backups. For example, you can use Time Machine, with or without multiple disks, for some backups and also use Carbon Copy Cloner (or similar software like SuperDuper) that creates a full and optionally bootable backup of your entire machine.

I’ve had excellent recovery success using Time Machine, but I also keep copies of my data and content, but not applications, in iCloud and I also make a full bootable backup of my machine every few days to a separate disk using Carbon Copy Cloner. I also make archives of related data, e.g., everything associated with a project or event that occurs at certain time increments, for example, weekly, monthly, or yearly and copy those zipped archives to a separate storage media. 

If you’re only keeping a single backup of your data up to date, say on TimeMachine, you are probably doing a whole lot more than what most people do. Beyond that it’s a personal choice and depends on how much you value your data and understand the full cost of losing it or having to recreate it from scratch, if that’s even possible. Now that external SSDs are so affordable it’s easy to justify having one permanently attached to one of your desktop Mac’s built-in ports or on a docking station that you plug your MacBook Pro into every day or so and having TimeMachine backing up to the SSD.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 15
    BiC said:
    stew56 said:
    Thanks
    Stewart

Buy an External Hard Drive and Use Apple's Disk Utility to intialize the External Hard Dive as was noted from a comment above  - copy you're entire Internal Hard Drive.  Turn your Internet Connection OFF while copying. Unplug the External Hard Drive after you have copied all your information.  1000 percent Bullet Proof.

Bullet proof, sure, but not a great strategy for keeping regular updates, unless you're sufficiently OCD to repeat the process with frequent regularity. Using network attached storage (NAS) with Time Machine assures regular backups without the user having to think about it. Using multiple NAS devices and multiple time machine backups provides redundancy. The exception to this strategy is having something offsite, in case your home or office burns down. Cloud storage can help with that, but introduces other vulnerabilities, as seen with this WD instance above. In my personal experience, doing manual backups using storage I have to get out and plug in resulted in suboptimal results, because I didn't do so on a regular enough basis. Your backup strategy is only as good as the last time since you last performed a backup. Time machine and multiple NAS devices is the best I've come up with for myself, anyway.