If everyone lived like you, how many planets would we need?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    7.3 planets baby!

so do i get somthing for the high score?
  • Reply 22 of 55
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

Damn, 4.2 acres of food... i eat meat pdts at least twice a week but we are talking fish or foul not some free roaming head of cattle... bow before the free roaming head of cattle...

It's more than simply how much meat you eat. You must have put down that much of the food you eat is also prepackaged or not local. Packaging plants, material to package and build said plants and the manufacturer of additives all take up space.

Read about it.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

It's more than simply how much meat you eat. You must have put down that much of the food you eat is also prepackaged or not local. Packaging plants, material to package and build said plants and the manufacturer of additives all take up space.

Read about it.

i made a guess that all of the food i get from the food carts/au bon pain comes to philly via some alternate route... ie i have never seen a farm in the shadows of the upenn research complex... so be it...

bruce
  • Reply 24 of 55
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I use 3.9 planets...and the answer isn't "simplify, simplify"...it's "technology, technology". Using 19th century farming and food techniques there's no way that 5+ billion people should be able to survive on Earth as it is. I'm pro their advocacy, but I often feel that more efforts on reasonable solutions trumps trying to make the planet vegan.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I'm surprised. I ride my bike everywhere, don't eat meat and live in an apartment in the city. Sure my apartment is big, but still...

Quote:

CATEGORY ACRES

FOOD 3.5

MOBILITY 0.2

SHELTER 4.7

GOODS/SERVICES 4.4

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 13

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 2.9 PLANETS.

• Reply 26 of 55
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

I use 3.9 planets...and the answer isn't "simplify, simplify"...it's "technology, technology". Using 19th century farming and food techniques there's no way that 5+ billion people should be able to survive on Earth as it is. I'm pro their advocacy, but I often feel that more efforts on reasonable solutions trumps trying to make the planet vegan.

well almost all of the top killers in the world are associated with the modern farming etc developments of the last few centuries, so yeah while technology has given us great things it perhaps has also been the causitive agent of the problems those great things solve...

bruce
  • Reply 27 of 55
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    6.8 Planets.

Oh yeah, uh huh, I'm sure earthday.net is a very objective and unbiased source that I can rely on for my planet consumption needs!
  • Reply 28 of 55
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    3.8 planets for me. Damn. And I thought not eating meat and driving a motobike and walking most places might be good for the environment. Well silly me. If it wasn't for all the goddamn trees around I bet I'd only need 1 planet.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member

Ahh, if only Jefferson's vision for America had won out!
  • Reply 30 of 55
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    21.7 !!! Woo-Hoo, Do I win?

Time to fire up that space program.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,032member
    Yes, I am SOOO anti-environment. In fact, all conservatives are. Righto!

Death to nature!

• Reply 32 of 55
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    damnit, there goes my high score!

i want a recount.

maybe Matsu and i can just split one planet for the two of us.

the rest of you can bike around to your apartments after going to the local market to pick up some soy burgers.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

7.3 planets baby!

so do i get somthing for the high score?

No, but here are some suggestions on how you could fix it:

1. Adopt 6 pre-existing starving children from somewhere (i.e. Don't kidnap and starve kids).

2. Start abducting people, starve them and reduce their planet equivalent so that the combined average of you with all of the abductees is one.

3. Kill as many people as need so that their sums of "planet equivalents" are one less than you. You could kill three of me.

4. Get a shovel and begin dumping dirt into the ocean. With your bare hands, make yourself a fertile island in the ocean equal in size to your evironmental footprint. Your island must have it's own water supply.

5. Have two or fewer kids and try your very hardest to preserve and protect the environment.

Oh, and whoever suggested firing up the space program: you'd probably end up using more resources than you could possibly gain.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    3,4 planet for me.

I am a very bad citizen

however this stat do not make sense. Making me a veggie, will not make poor countries richer.
  • Reply 35 of 55

Wow. I thought I got credit for eating small amounts of meat and never use cars or fly.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Update: tried again and got 2,2. Missed a few questions first time.

Time to colonise Mars and the Moon
  • Reply 37 of 55
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I win I win!!!

I answered the questions to get the most points! I got it to say I would need 67 acres and 15.1 planets.

This is fun...now I need to just go back again and say I have more people in my household so my score will be even higher.

I will get the high score.. that is the point of ever game right?

Nick
  • Reply 38 of 55
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    4 planets if I lived like I do when I'm at home.

2.3 if I live like I do at the dorm.

17.8 if I pump everything up to the maximum.

EDIT: And if I'm a vegan, living in a small town in a green residence with no electricity and I never travel anywhere, I managed to get it down to 1.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I fail to see the point. Some people are richer than others. I'm not a commie.

A big issue would be that a style of living in one nation may be optimally sustainable, but not in another.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I fail to see the point. Some people are richer than others. I'm not a commie.

Before you move out from your parents house according to this test you have used your share. What did you do to get born by americans instead of, say, a chinese couple? I thought the idea of capitalism was that you earned what you get