Rumored 15-inch MacBook Air release could be in April or May

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2023

Display production for the rumored 15-inch MacBook Air is expected to increase, with a possible launch now thought to happen in late April or early May.

The MacBook Air could get a larger sibling
The MacBook Air could get a larger sibling

Display analyst Ross Young of Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC) tweeted to paid subscribers about the rumored 15-inch MacBook Air on Monday. Young has previously shared rumors of the device.

In response to a commenter, Young said that panel production for the larger MacBook Air started in February and increased in March. Apple reportedly plans another manufacturing surge in April, possibly launching in late April or early May.

Young is relatively accurate in Apple leaks and rumors and has previously suggested a Spring 2023 launch for the 15-inch MacBook Air. If rumors are correct, the display will be 15.5 inches, between the 14-inch MacBook Pro and the 16-inch MacBook Pro.

It's expected to have the same design as the 13-inch MacBook Air, and rumors disagree on the chip it will possess. Some reports say it could have an M3 processor, which would be the newest addition to the Apple Silicon lineup for Macs.

However, the M3 chip isn't expected to start mass production until later in 2023, as it could use a 3nm chip process. It's more likely that it will include an M2 Pro or M2 Max chip since a MacBook Air with an M2 chip already exists.

The timing of the launch is also in question. It might be too late in the year for a product launch in the spring, unless Apple announces the New MacBook Air in a press release instead of a keynote.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Wasn't this supposed to appear when 13.3.1 was released? Mac sales are in a slump just like PC's and as other articles have said, pandemic spending has dried up and who can afford Macs that now cost over $5000 depending on configuration it will be the same with the Air even if it's an M3. iPhone sales like other manufacturers are also going to slow down since it seems Apple has to keep its profits up
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 19
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,951member
    We are looking at replacing my partner’s ten year old 13” MacBook Pro. Right now we are looking at another MBP in order to get a 14” screen. We’ll be very interested in a larger Air, features, ports, and price. 
  • Reply 3 of 19
    If launched in late April, it will likely feature the M2 SoC. One would expect no launch of a 13.6 inch MacBook Air if this is the case. If launched at WWDC the chances increase for an M3 upgrade for both machines. The XR headset will likely require an M3, so it might occasion its use in the MacBook Airs earlier than a debut of the A17 in the new iPhone Pros.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    looks like i'll be waiting a while after just replacing my second battery on my 2015 MBP. These old eyes  were hoping for a bigger Air and at almost $400 per replacement gets expensive
  • Reply 5 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,254member
    Getting a tad close to WWDC though.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,951member
    entropys said:
    Getting a tad close to WWDC though.
    Actually that might be a good reason TO release hardware then. WWDC isn’t normally a hardware event, but it would be a nice thing to get people wound up just before WWDC. 
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Americans are always blind-sided by a desire to have everything bigger. The MBA is designed to be small, light and fit in an envelope. A "15-inch" MBA would be a similar crime against sensibilities as the Mac Studio. We don't need another monstrous carbuncle. Apple has soiled it reputation enough. Small. light, thin and great battery life. If you want a bigger display just plug it into one. If these rumours are true, it appears even common sense is in short supply at Apple. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 19
    OferOfer Posts: 263unconfirmed, member
    timmillea said:
    Americans are always blind-sided by a desire to have everything bigger. The MBA is designed to be small, light and fit in an envelope. A "15-inch" MBA would be a similar crime against sensibilities as the Mac Studio. We don't need another monstrous carbuncle. Apple has soiled it reputation enough. Small. light, thin and great battery life. If you want a bigger display just plug it into one. If these rumours are true, it appears even common sense is in short supply at Apple. 
    I’m happy the powers that be at Apple aren’t taking their advice from you. I’m planning on buying one of these the moment it comes out. I want a bigger screen than 13 inches, but have no need for a Pro machine. This would be perfect. I know many others who feel the same.
    RonnyDaddybageljoeyAlex_Vmuthuk_vanalingamchiawilliamlondondanoxurahara
  • Reply 9 of 19
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,520member
    I want a 13” iPad air.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member
    I will buy a 15" MacBook Air with either M2 or M3 immediately upon release. My 2017 MacBook Pro 15" is getting long in the tooth with broken keys and other issues. The keyboard has been replaced along with the battery (free because the battery was swelling). This has not been my favorite Mac, although I do love the Touch Bar.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    welshdog said:
    I will buy a 15" MacBook Air with either M2 or M3 immediately upon release. My 2017 MacBook Pro 15" is getting long in the tooth with broken keys and other issues. The keyboard has been replaced along with the battery (free because the battery was swelling). This has not been my favorite Mac, although I do love the Touch Bar.
    Hey twin!  I replaced my 2017 MBP 15 this summer. I would have been happy with an Air, but I needed a bigger screen so I got the pro.  Love the new machine, but I still catch myself reaching for the missing touchbar (I thought I was the only one who liked it). 
    Anyway, I think that a 15 inch Air will sell like crazy if it’s priced right. 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,440member
    blastdoor said:
    I want a 13” iPad air.
    Jump straight to 15inch same screen as the MacBookAir
  • Reply 13 of 19
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,520member
    mattinoz said:
    blastdoor said:
    I want a 13” iPad air.
    Jump straight to 15inch same screen as the MacBookAir
    Nah, too big for an iPad. 13 inch works great. I just don’t need all the fancy “pro” features. M1 plus 13 inch screen would be perfect for me.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 619member
    I know no-one asked but I want a 16” iPad Pro - of course I might have to get a Wacom for ZBrush instead. 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    glhglh Posts: 18member
    I have a 2017 12" Macbook, which still works well, running the latest Ventura. I really wish they would bring back a 12" machine -- its size is ideal for traveling.
    right_said_fredTRAGAlex1N
  • Reply 16 of 19
    glh said:
    I have a 2017 12" Macbook, which still works well, running the latest Ventura. I really wish they would bring back a 12" machine -- its size is ideal for traveling.
    Me too - would love a 12"MacBook (Air) I still have a working 12 inch MacBook, and it's so light (significantly lighter than 13 inch air. 
    TRAGAlex1N
  • Reply 17 of 19
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 55member
    glh said:
    Me too - would love a 12"MacBook (Air) I still have a working 12 inch MacBook, and it's so light (significantly lighter than 13 inch air. 
    Me three. Thinking about getting the M3 Air whenever it comes out but would much prefer something smaller and lighter. With Apple Silicon the 12 inch would be amazing. I am not convinced we are getting it any time soon though...
    right_said_fredAlex1N
  • Reply 18 of 19
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    timmillea said:
    I think the appeal of a 15” MBA is for customers who are plenty happy with the current MBA power but just want a bigger screen. Right now the only option for a bigger screen is to get a Pro at a much higher starting price. That said, I would have expected that a 15” MBA would retain an M2, not an M2 Pro.
    muthuk_vanalingamOferAlex1N
  • Reply 19 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,254member
    The trouble with the 12 inch rMb was the single port, and its price at the time. I don’t think I ever saw one outside an Apple Store. Actually, know I remember, saw one at the airport once going through security in front of me. Some Paris Hilton type. 

I live with a single port on an iPad, I would not even consider a single port laptop.
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N