'Max' streaming service combines HBO Max & Discovery+, launches May 23

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2023
The new service that combines HBO Max and Discovery+ has been officially announced and confirms the rumored "Max" name.

Warner Bros. Discovery
Warner Bros. Discovery

At a news conference on the Warner Bros. Studio property, Warner Bros. Discovery finally unveiled the announcement.

Initially announced in August 2022 after WarnerMedia merged with Discovery, executives made plans to launch a unified service to compete better with Apple TV+, Netflix, and other streaming services.

The original launch of the streamer wasn't set until the summer of 2023, but the company moved up the launch to May 23, according to Variety. The Discovery+ service will remain separate over concerns that the company would lose subscribers.

CEO David Zaslav confirmed the name of the combined service to be Max, which has long been rumored. Warner Bros. Discovery streaming chief JB Perrette revealed the May 23 launch date.

"Max is the one to watch, because it's home to shows that have a supersized effect on people and culture," Zaslav said during the presentation. "It's streaming's version of must-see TV."

Max prices

There will be several pricing tiers for the Max streamer.

• Max Ad Lite for $9.99 a month or $99.99 per year

• Max Ad Free for $15.99 a month or $149.99 per year

• Max Ultimate Ad Free for $19.99 a month or $199.99 per year

The Max Ad-Lite plan will let users have two streams running at once, 1080p resolution for content and 5.1 surround sound quality. Meanwhile, the Max Ad Free plan has the same benefits and lets people have up to 30 offline downloads.

At the highest tier, the premium Max Ultimate Ad Free offers up to four simultaneous streams, up to 4K resolution, 100 maximum offline downloads, and Dolby Atmos sound quality.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    What is exactly on Discovery streaming that I can’t get on my Discovery cable channel? Unlimited reruns of Moonshiners? It seems to have become a repository for junk TV. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 22
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    I guess it shouldn't be surprising that, in addition to confirming the truly daft scenario already rumored prior to the announcement, they're also following Netflix's way-behind-the-curve practice of charging a premium for 4K screen resolution, which is the current standard minimum resolution for almost all TVs, except those that are too small to physically be able to tell the difference. Maybe they should charge extra for color TV pictures as well.

Many people currently have access to HBO Max, including 4K and Dolby Atmos sound, as part of their HBO subscription on cable. Which pricing tier will they be moved to on "Max"?
    StrangeDaysITGUYINSDwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 22
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    Though I have GB Internet and 4K TVs, I refuse to pay a premium for 4K streaming. Especially, since I wasn't seeing a better picture.

When Netflix announced the pricing change, I downgraded Netflix and let the TV upscale it.

When they figure out how to stream 4K and it looks like the TV demo reels then I'll consider it, maybe.

Question: Why would someone waste their money paying for both cable and HBO Max? Perhaps if you care about sports or local news?
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 4 of 22
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    So, HBO is one of the most recognized brand names in entertainment and they decided the best thing to do was delete that from their branding for streaming?

That would be like Apple renaming their service to just TV+
    edited April 2023 ronnretrogustomark fearingmuthuk_vanalingamravnorodom
  • Reply 5 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    $20 a month for 4K? Yeah F you too, dudes. 

I read their NYT article explaining their rational in dropping “HBO” from the brand name and adding tons of crappy reality TV:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/11/business/media/max-streaming-warner-hbo.html

…they feel their audience is too limited due to be associated with high-quality programming. Insane. It’s like BMW saying they’d sell more cars if they made cheaper, crummier vehicles and then advertising that they not all about premium vehicles. Well, yeah. But that isn’t why your customers sought you out. That isn’t your brand. 

Pandering to Wall Street customer growth numbers by execs with no vision. I won’t be renewing after my previous annual promo expires. 
    ronnCluntBaby92muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 22
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member

I read their NYT article explaining their rational in dropping “HBO” from the brand name and adding tons of crappy reality TV:

…they feel their audience is too limited due to be associated with high-quality programming. Insane. It’s like BMW saying they’d sell more cars if they made cheaper, crummier vehicles and then advertising that they not all about premium vehicles. Well, yeah. But that isn’t why your customers sought you out. That isn’t your brand. 

Pandering to Wall Street customer growth numbers by execs with no vision. I won’t be renewing after my previous annual promo expires. 
    They’ve joined the race to the bottom. May win. 
  • Reply 7 of 22

They’ve joined the race to the bottom. May win. 
    Except they want to charge me *more*, to fund creation of all this low-quality content. No effing way…I was fine paying HBO a premium for premium stuff. But not an excessive amount to get me an all-you-can-eat buffet of slop. 
    muthuk_vanalingamravnorodom
  • Reply 8 of 22
    So, HBO is one of the most recognized brand names in entertainment and they decided the best thing to do was delete that from their branding for streaming?

That would be like Apple renaming their service to just TV+
    I agree. When this was first rumored, I said to myself "why on Earth would they abandon a well known and liked brand name that's been around since 1972 (over 50 years!)." I may have only taken a marketing course or two in school, but this makes no sense. The only thing left of "HBO" is in the logo, and that looks like it was done by amateurs.
    CluntBaby92muthuk_vanalingamravnorodom
  • Reply 9 of 22
    What is exactly on Discovery streaming that I can’t get on my Discovery cable channel? Unlimited reruns of Moonshiners? It seems to have become a repository for junk TV. 
    Same could be said for HBO Max.  An occasional new series that's decent but how many times does one need to watch GoT or White Lotus? The rest is a repository for seen-a-million-times movies.

For me, I'm a Naked and Afraid addict.  I seem to have a fetish for blurred butts, crotches and cleavage.  :)
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 10 of 22

Unfortunately, the NYTimes link is behind a paywall.  No free viewing.
    CluntBaby92ravnorodom
  • Reply 11 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    ITGUYINSD said:

Copy and paste the title into a search engine. Et voilà!
    edited April 2023 ravnorodom
  • Reply 12 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This is their excuse for changing the name:

Dropping HBO from the name is cementing that 'we're not just a home for premium programming,'" Alexander said. "'We're the home for anything you want to watch.'"

I suspect, however, that the real reason Is because “Max” is much easier to remember and pronounce for the international audience that they will aggressively court. 
    CluntBaby92ravnorodom
  • Reply 13 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Sociopathic MBAs still trying to avoid outright consolidation of streaming services for their own career saving, ironically accelerating the cross ownership merging as they jack up prices and reduce quality of streaming.
    just merge with Netflix, or let Amazon buy them out already.
    edited April 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 22
    AppleZulu said:
    I guess it shouldn't be surprising that, in addition to confirming the truly daft scenario already rumored prior to the announcement, they're also following Netflix's way-behind-the-curve practice of charging a premium for 4K screen resolution, which is the current standard minimum resolution for almost all TVs, except those that are too small to physically be able to tell the difference. Maybe they should charge extra for color TV pictures as well.

Many people currently have access to HBO Max, including 4K and Dolby Atmos sound, as part of their HBO subscription on cable. Which pricing tier will they be moved to on "Max"?
    I have HBO Max for free from my carrier's unlimited data plan. I barely watch them and never mind subscribing it. Don't care much about 4K. Maybe if I have 60in plus TV then maybe I do.
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 15 of 22
    The first time I heard HBO was back in 1980s. I guess it makes sense to change the name to Max to include Discovery. Home Box Office (HBO) sounds so nichey now.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    I think John Gruber got this exactly right as to what HBO should have done:

Disney set the example Warner Bros. Discovery should have followed, with Disney+ and Hulu as separate apps, but priced together in a bundle. Disney isn’t relegating Disney+ content into a mere tab in the Hulu app, nor are they allowing Hulu’s content to dilute the prestigious Disney brand in the Disney+ app.
    https://daringfireball.net/2023/04/warner_max

ronn
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I've been incredulous about brand choices ever since International Harvester decided to change their name to 'Navistar'. Words fail me (well, nice words. There are several expletives that come to mind).
  • Reply 18 of 22
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 692member
    They have made so many customer hostile decisions in the last couple of year. Now, they are giving hundreds of millions to an infamous transphobe to develop a series. Our plan runs out next month. We keep three streaming services active at a time. They will not be one of them.
    ronn
  • Reply 19 of 22
    ITGUYINSD said:

Not for me, I don’t pay for it but can read it. 
  • Reply 20 of 22
    The first time I heard HBO was back in 1980s. I guess it makes sense to change the name to Max to include Discovery. Home Box Office (HBO) sounds so nichey now.
    It doesn’t make sense at all. HBO is a strong brand synonymous with premium content and quality programming, going back to their old slogan. “Max” is generic and meaningless.

Gruber astute as ever:

HBO’s old slogan was “It’s not TV. It’s HBO”. That slogan captured HBO’s prestige: unedited major motion pictures, best-of-breed original content, all without commercial interruptions. HBO’s new slogan might as well be “It’s not TV. It’s a tab somewhere in the Max app.” 

https://daringfireball.net/2023/04/warner_max
    edited April 2023 ronn