Samsung considering Microsoft's AI-powered Bing as default search engine over Google

Posted:
in General Discussion
As a result of Microsoft's recent success with artificial intelligence, Samsung is now thinking about replacing Google as the default search engine on its devices.

Google is working on AI search
Google is working on AI search

Microsoft has added technology from OpenAI into its Bing web search and other products. Google is racing to release its own AI products to rival ChatGPT and others, but the incumbent search giant has had a rough start.

It's been enough of a shaky start, that Samsung is reportedly considering implementing Bing as the default search engine on its devices to replace Google Search , according to The New York Times. From internal correspondence, Google's response to the Samsung threat was "panic."

Google currently pays $3 billion as part of its contract with Samsung to be the default search engine and might pay as much as $20 billion from a similar contract with Apple, which is up for renewal in 2023.

The contract is still under negotiation, and it's unclear whether Microsoft's AI integration was the primary reason for Samsung to reconsider its partnership with Google. But Google employees believed that to be the cause.

The new search engine's functions were tested by a few Google employees last week, and the company urged them to test Magi's conversational capabilities by asking the search engine follow-up questions. According to a strategy document, Google intends to make the tools available to the general public next month and add additional features in the fall.

Google's AI bid

AI services like ChatGPT are a threat to Google's search business. ChatGPT can deliver results directly to users without having them wade through hundreds of search results interspersed with ads that Google relies upon, although it can produce errors.

Nevertheless, Google is pushing to release new AI features to the public, such as an AI-powered search engine similar to Microsoft Bing, in an effort called "Project Magi." The new search technology has no set release date, and plans for the latest search engine are still in the early stages.

The new system would learn what people want to know based on what they're searching for when they start using the search engine. Then, it would act as a chatbot with conversations, offering a list of URLs for articles, products, and other data in response to queries.

The Magi project would enhance the current search engine with new capabilities before the search engine can be rebuilt entirely. According to a source familiar with the project, approximately 160 employees are employed full-time by Google for Magi.

Ads in search results are a significant factor in Google's revenue, and Magi would keep ads among search results.

Google has other AI product ideas besides the search tool, such as generating images in Google Image results, helping people learn a new language, and searching for music through a conversation with a chatbot.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Considering the poor search results full of literally made up data, wrong references, and garbage that these ChatBot search engines have produced, with little sign of any improvement, I don’t understand why everyone is in such a rush to implement them. 
    Oferappleinsideruserdewmelolliverravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    DAalseth said:
    Considering the poor search results full of literally made up data, wrong references, and garbage that these ChatBot search engines have produced, with little sign of any improvement, I don’t understand why everyone is in such a rush to implement them. 
    Sundar Pichai said in CBS 60 minutes said they don't have intelligence. That is OK. Look at the rampant BSs the politicians produced each day. And they can win reelections over the voters. 

edited April 2023 Oferravnorodom
  • Reply 3 of 13
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    I hope that Apple can implement an honest and reliable, geographically-relevant search engine as its own default. I've tried to use DuckDuckGo for years, but it keeps defaulting to US-based results, rather than results relevant to my own geographic location. Google excels at providing relevant results, even when I don't allow my location to be known. They accurately use my IP address as the general location reference.
    OfergatorguyCalamanderlolliverbyronlravnorodom
  • Reply 4 of 13
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    DAalseth said:
    So basically they're just giving back results based on what the vast majority of people are posting out into the world. Black mirror indeed.
    OferJP234lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    JP234 said:
    auxio said:
    DAalseth said:
    So basically they're just giving back results based on what the vast majority of people are posting out into the world. Black mirror indeed.
    The potential of AI to use what you call that "black mirror" of human behavior on a macro scale will lead to predictive modeling that has the potential to radically modify civilization, and make some entities more powerful than anything in human experience, at the expense of every other entity. That's what scares most of us about AI.
    Indeed. And one level further, when AI is able to model and predict how it is being/will be used by people for their own power/greed...
    JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    auxio said:
    DAalseth said:
    Worse then that. Janelle Shane who is an AI researcher has posted on her blog about her experiments with these AI search engines. She found if she asked it for something it would come up with a result even if she knew there was no such thing. All of them have a tendency to make up things even when they don’t exist. 
    JP234 said:
    DAalseth said:
    If you think about it for a minute, you'll come to the correct conclusion: it's about the money.
    It's always about the money. For good or ill, there are players who are going to make lots of it.
    Right?
    Who stands to make money if people stop trusting, and therefore using, a particular search engine? Not Microsoft, google, or the other companies that make their money off of search. 

Seems to me to be more that they all want to say they have the newest tech, but aren’t thinking of what that tech means, just that it’s new. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    Google excels at providing relevant results, even when I don't allow my location to be known. They accurately use my IP address as the general location reference.
    Your IP address is not a “general location reference.” It is an EXACT location reference, that gives Google the address to your home/work or wherever you are using Wi-Fi.

“Not allowing” your location to Google is like not allowing the Tooth Fairy to know where you live. Guess what, you’re still getting money under your pillow the next morning. :)
    lolliverbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    chasm said:
    Google excels at providing relevant results, even when I don't allow my location to be known. They accurately use my IP address as the general location reference.
    Your IP address is not a “general location reference.” It is an EXACT location reference, that gives Google the address to your home/work or wherever you are using Wi-Fi.

“Not allowing” your location to Google is like not allowing the Tooth Fairy to know where you live. Guess what, you’re still getting money under your pillow the next morning. :)
    IP addresses do reveal your geolocation, but not your precise location like a home address does. They also don't ID names or any other personal information.
    rezwitsbyronl
  • Reply 9 of 13
    DAalseth said:
    I don't think you've ever used ChatGPT

Ask it any question it provides you a nice answer. 

It can even write an entire JavaScript backend on command. 

It's not intelligent, it has no real intelligence, but it's a bit like a super search engine on top of the entire internet, so instead of searching a bunch of websites until you find what you're looking for you can just let the AI do that and come back with a beautifully worded response, with references and so on.

It's the end of Google. I don't think google can handle this. It makes google irrelevant. I'd say time to short GOOG is now.

I know Google is working on it, but they will run into the same issues all incumbents run into they'd have to take a huge risk, kill the goose laying the golden eggs, and bet everything on a brand new untested technology that's chat based. 

Guess what they'll never do that.

If you make 10Bn/quarter or whatever it is with a product, it's impossible to replace that product. 

So startups will come and do it, since they have nothing to lose, and google will be replaced over the next few years. You're welcome. 
    rezwitsbyronl
  • Reply 10 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    DAalseth said:

It's not intelligent, it has no real intelligence, but it's a bit like a super search engine on top of the entire internet, so instead of searching a bunch of websites until you find what you're looking for you can just let the AI do that and come back with a beautifully worded response, with references and so on.

It's the end of Google. I don't think google can handle this. It makes google irrelevant. I'd say time to short GOOG is now.

I know Google is working on it, but they will run into the same issues all incumbents run into they'd have to take a huge risk, kill the goose laying the golden eggs, and bet everything on a brand new untested technology that's chat based. 

If you make 10Bn/quarter or whatever it is with a product, it's impossible to replace that product. 

So startups will come and do it, since they have nothing to lose, and google will be replaced over the next few years. You're welcome. 
    As with most technologies, there will be teething issues. The problem with this type of AI is that all kinds of other associated issues can pop up. Inventing content is one such problem. Then there is the issue of bias etc. 

There are pros and cons. Potential for advancement but also great danger. 

I think John Oliver is often OTT but his 27 minute piece on AI (obviously with a comedic angle) was a very easy to understand summary of where we are at. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    JP234 said:
    DAalseth said:
    auxio said:
    DAalseth said:
    Worse then that. Janelle Shane who is an AI researcher has posted on her blog about her experiments with these AI search engines. She found if she asked it for something it would come up with a result even if she knew there was no such thing. All of them have a tendency to make up things even when they don’t exist. 
    JP234 said:
    DAalseth said:
    If you think about it for a minute, you'll come to the correct conclusion: it's about the money.
    It's always about the money. For good or ill, there are players who are going to make lots of it.
    Right?
    Who stands to make money if people stop trusting, and therefore using, a particular search engine? Not Microsoft, google, or the other companies that make their money off of search. 

Seems to me to be more that they all want to say they have the newest tech, but aren’t thinking of what that tech means, just that it’s new. 
    Are you opining that there is no money to be made on AI development? Are you under the impression that AI's only utility is internet search? Seems I remember the Pentagon giving Microsoft a $10 billion contract to provide AI enhanced AR headsets to the military. We are present at the birth of AI. The cord hasn't even been cut yet. It remains to be seen if AI will grow up to be SkyNet or Buddha. Either way, our existence will come to an end, making us either the agents of our own destruction or the saviors. Hoping for option two, but don't see the money in it, sadly.
    Oh the developers stand to make a lot of money. But pushing out a bunch of half-a$$ed search engines won’t make the companies trying to use them any. If you sour the public on the tech it could set back adoption of the technology by s decade. Remember the Newton and its handwriting recognition. By the time Apple got it to work pretty well, it had become a joke. We had to wait over a decade before it became accepted on phones. As far as the military funding research, yeah that’s what they do. But we’re years sway from true AI weaponry. 
    DAalseth said:

You need to read some of Janelle Shane’s posts. They make up sh*t even when it doesn’t exist. As you said they aren’t intelligent, yet they are being used and trusted as if they were.
    https://www.aiweirdness.com/

gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    Choose search engine, type in what you want to search for press, return get results go to for page 2 for results, to avoid the sponsored results shown at the top of the page.

Conclusion, none of the search engines have been any good for more than ten years.