Finally: Scheduled Startup & Shutdown

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://ibeezz.reboute.net/en/

Quote:

Entirely integrated into the Mac OS X System Preferences, iBeeZz is a perfect complement to energy saver preferences.

Thanks to iBeeZz 1.5, schedule when your Mac will:Sleep
Wake up
Shutdown
Startup
Restart

It's $10 though, but that's cheap already.

Olé

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Why isn't that in Energy Prefs? System 7 had a control panel for that IIRC.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    May be Panther will have it?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Wow. I don't need that, but i am so glad that it is back in some form.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    yeah i only use that when i have a mac in my room

i need it to be ready for me in the morning and shut off if i leave it on at night
  • Reply 5 of 7
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Confirmed Panther Feature (API change)...

In otherwords that $10 shareware app ain't gonna have too much value after Sept.

Quote:

First off, let me warn you that the interface you're using to wake the machine will be deprecated in the next release of OS X.

- The new version of this API is, first of all, actually an API. Right now you're just using a funky back door to the PMU driver

- The other major thing the new API does is queue-up multiple wakeup requests. Right now any two apps that want the machine to wake from sleep can step over each other's requests. Maybe my TV recordin' app wants to wake up at 8PM, and my alarm clock wants to wake up at 6AM. With the new API both of their wakeup requests will be respected (whereas one request will get trampled with the old back door technique).

- The current interface you're using WILL continue to work through backwards compatibility code. You won't, however, get the tight resolution you're looking for - we round requests to the nearest 30 seconds for easier bookkeeping, both inside IOKit API and on the part of calling applications.

Just FYI, here's what the new API will look like. If you, or anybody else, has comments on the new API I'd love to hear 'em... (and there are a couple of quick comments to your email below)

Here is the full link: (user/pass = archives)

http://lists.apple.com/mhonarc/darwi.../msg17984.html

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 7
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Why are you shutting down, anyway? Just use energy saver to let the machine sleep after a period of inactivity, and wake it up when you need it. On all of the modern (since 1999 or 2000) Macs, sleep mode is effectively the same as shutting down in terms of power usage. And OS X, with its protected memory and other modern features, rarely needs a restart. I regularly go 3 weeks to a month between restarts on my iBook.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Well, I live with my girlfriend and her mom is 100% sure that my computer is going to cause a huge increase in her electric bill if it's on during the night. I sometimes have to leave it on and would like it turn off sometime after when I think it'll be done. I had Kudown, but if anything is running it errors when it tries to shutdown.

This is nice.