Ford will stick with CarPlay as GM exits for Google tech

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,520member
    JP234 said:
    Count me among everyone else on this forum. We'd never buy a GM car either. But CarPlay has nothing to do with it.
    We also would never buy another Ford or Chrysler product, either. It's Europe or Japan for us since 1984.
    Man, way to hold a grudge! 

American cars are way better than they used to be. I have nothing against European, Japanese, or Korean cars. But American cars are good too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 37
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 773member
    On the business side, Farley doesn't believe having a custom infotainment system is enough of a differentiator to attract customers. He also mentioned that 70% of Ford customers in the US are Apple customers, so "Why would I go to an Apple customer and say good luck?"

Ford gets it. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 37
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Hottake: GM will come back around a few years down the line when this effort goes down in flames.

The reason CarPlay exists is because car companies seem completely incapable or disinterested in developing good UX for their digital interfaces. Even luxury cars pale against CarPlay, some even go the wrong direction, such as with the recent changes to Tesla's system being largely deemed as user-hostile, distracting and unintuitive. Car companies seem to regularly put the user in second place, only to realise that these small changes can have an outsized effect on their product, and then ultimately on their sales.

Pair that against GM's stated intention of increasing profits by selling the user data they obtain (something that CarPlay wouldn't permit), and the change becomes even more sour for buyers.
    blastdoorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 37
    No CarPlay, no deal.  

My last two cars have both had CarPlay, and having it was the cherry on Top reason I got them. Period.

Dumb move, GM.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 37
    rcomeaurcomeau Posts: 81member
    I wonder how much consideration GM gave to the multitudes of iPhone users who, like me, wouldn't consider a car that doesn't support CarPlay. 
    While I count myself as someone who will not buy a car without CarPlay support, how many "regular folk" will do the same? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Mary Barra is totally delusional. That subscription revenue will never happen because Apple customers have the deepest pockets and will totally ignore GM vehicles. 
    Did you forget GM owns Cadillac and Buick? These are two of the best-selling luxury brands of all time, and you'd be mistaken to think Apple users wouldn't enjoy one of these vehicles.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Do customers really buy a car just for CarPlay support? That's backwards! Buy a car because the car is good, then figure out the audio system later. There are so many excellent aftermarket CarPlay solutions these days, and they're usually better than the OEM infotainment players. My car was built years before the iPhone existed, but I have installed a nice infotainment that can play a CD, a DVD, Bluetooth, AUX, CarPlay and it even has a USB-A slot so I can plug in a flash drive with movies/music. If you like a Buick but you don't like how how it doesn't have CarPlay, don't let that hold you back! You can always replace the factory infotainment with a better 3rd party option.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    slow n easyslow n easy Posts: 395member
    Do customers really buy a car just for CarPlay support? That's backwards! Buy a car because the car is good, then figure out the audio system later. There are so many excellent aftermarket CarPlay solutions these days, and they're usually better than the OEM infotainment players. My car was built years before the iPhone existed, but I have installed a nice infotainment that can play a CD, a DVD, Bluetooth, AUX, CarPlay and it even has a USB-A slot so I can plug in a flash drive with movies/music. If you like a Buick but you don't like how how it doesn't have CarPlay, don't let that hold you back! You can always replace the factory infotainment with a better 3rd party option.
    Yes they do, because I do. I will only buy a car that has Wireless CarPlay built-in. Your idea of buying an aftermarket system isn’t really workable because you end up losing too much functionality like back-up cameras, USB ports, and lots of other things that these infotainment systems provide. The aftermarket system will also provide most of the same functionality, but at a cost. You would have to use an aftermarket camera for example and an aftermarket USB port. In my opinion, it will be a worse experience compared to the factory locations. I would rather use the OEM cameras and the USB ports that come with the car.
    kingofsomewherehotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 37
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,520member
    JP234 said:
    blastdoor said:
    JP234 said:
    Count me among everyone else on this forum. We'd never buy a GM car either. But CarPlay has nothing to do with it.
    We also would never buy another Ford or Chrysler product, either. It's Europe or Japan for us since 1984.
    Man, way to hold a grudge! 

American cars are way better than they used to be. I have nothing against European, Japanese, or Korean cars. But American cars are good too.
    Yes, I do hold a grudge. When someone sells me anything that gives me problems (not just cars, BTW), I abandon them the way they abandoned me. One strike, you're out, for good. And the Big Three have NOTHING I want (a luxury sedan with ALL the latest safety tech). I'm too young (72) to buy a Lincoln. The new Cadillac interiors smell offensive to me. What are they feeding those Chinese cows, anyway?

I gave Mopar 2 chances. Never, ever again. Especially after seeing the fit, finish and paint flaws at the latest Chicago Auto Show.
    I have to admit that if you want a luxury sedan then the Americans have little to offer. They’ve gone all in on SUVs. John Paul.
    JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 37
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,282member
    mknelson said:
    "Apple intends to release what it calls the "next-generation" of CarPlay sometime in 2023, and will likely announce it at this year's WWDC. It will take over the car's instrument cluster to display gauges for stats like fuel and oil, engine temperature, and miles per gallon."

Should be "It could take over…" if the vehicles manufacturer allows it.

As for GM, I can see them backing off this at some point. Enabling Android Auto and CarPlay in Android Automotive shouldn't be difficult.

Otherwise, I expect somebody to hack Android Automotive to enable those services.

The strange thing about GMs original announcement is that the services they discuss are free for 8 years so I don't see where that revenue stream is coming from unless it's for a data plan. Their current Essentials plan (no data for WiFi) is pretty sensible with OnStar, remote settings and vehicle monitoring including location tracking.
    Apple's new CarPlay will simply be using what's available in the car's computer, which is usually accessed via the OBD port. My Alpine aftermarket deck can already display a whole lot about my truck's operation. OBD readers can access tons of data about the operation of a vehicle along with trouble codes. It wouldn't surprise me if Apple is able to connect to the computer in a "read-only" or display-only mode, not taking over the vehicle's computer just providing an alternative display of what's going on. As for operating mechanical devices, if the vehicle's computer can do something, there's a way for CarPlay to do it too. GM isn't going to be around in the USA for very long anyway, they'll try and make money in China but I highly doubt they'll survive in the USA.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Jeff_in_TXJeff_in_TX Posts: 46member
    I have been a pretty loyal GM customer with three Equinoxes owned (incl. one now).  First one was in an accident, but the other two I've had for over 5 years each with no issues.  It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that I'd get an Equinox EV for me next vehicle, but that isn't even a consideration now.

GM has made so much progress over the years and their EV lineup looks great, but if they don't support CarPlay, forget it.  Plus they will lose the OnStar and data payments I make already on my vehicle...this is such a dumb move by them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Jeff_in_TXJeff_in_TX Posts: 46member
    Yes they do, because I do. I will only buy a car that has Wireless CarPlay built-in. Your idea of buying an aftermarket system isn’t really workable because you end up losing too much functionality like back-up cameras, USB ports, and lots of other things that these infotainment systems provide. The aftermarket system will also provide most of the same functionality, but at a cost. You would have to use an aftermarket camera for example and an aftermarket USB port. In my opinion, it will be a worse experience compared to the factory locations. I would rather use the OEM cameras and the USB ports that come with the car.
    Exactly.
    JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 37
    bakerzdosenbakerzdosen Posts: 186member
    My grandfather worked his entire adult life for GM (mainly Chevrolet.)

My father worked his entire adult life for Chevrolet.

To say we're a GM family might be an understatement.

I went for years not owning a GM vehicle (ever since my 2001 Saab was totaled.)

I'd *finally* convinced myself to get a new Bolt EUV or possibly an Ultium-based Equinox EV when they're released.

Well, Bolt EUVs are basically sold out through the end of production this year and anything after that won't have CarPlay.

So suddenly, I'm done with GM vehicles...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 37
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 822member
    goofy1958 said:
    Mary Barra is totally delusional. That subscription revenue will never happen because Apple customers have the deepest pockets and will totally ignore GM vehicles. 

I'm one of those that will never buy a GM car because of this stupidity.  At one time, I might have considered an EV from them, but not now.  Thinking that they are going to make 20-25 billion from subscriptions from a car system is totally crazy. I would never pay one cent for a service that my iPhone already provides me while in the car.
    I will never lease or buy an American (designed) vehicle. Period. 
    I like my Honda. 
    edited May 2023 JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 37
    polarizepolarize Posts: 1member
    I’m glad we are a family and business of Ford owners! Thank you GM for confirming why I quit buying your vehicles. Good Luck in bankruptcy!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    GM is assuming Google won't abandon that tech at some point, like most other things they do outside of search and Youtube.
    watto_cobra