Ford will stick with CarPlay as GM exits for Google tech

Posted:
in General Discussion
As General Motors plans to phase out CarPlay for its infotainment system, Ford won't so it doesn't risk losing Apple customers.

Ford will continue to stick with Apple's CarPlay
Ford will continue to stick with Apple's CarPlay

In an interview with Joanna Stern of The Wall Street Journal, Ford CEO Jim Farley spoke about the state of built-in infotainment systems in modern vehicles. He mentioned rivals Tesla and GM and how the companies' decisions affect customers.

Ford CEO @jimfarley98 says he's sticking with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and his reason makes A LOT of sense https://t.co/0ZEvV5icyD

-- Joanna Stern (@JoannaStern)

Specifically, he believes that manufacturers aren't going to make much money on the content they provide through infotainment systems. Drivers instead will compare features like safety, security, driving autonomy, and productivity.

"In terms of content, we kind of lost that battle 10 years ago," Farley said. "So like get real with it, because you're not going to make a ton of money on content inside the vehicle."

"It's gonna be safety, security, partial autonomy, and productivity in our eyes, he continued. "So that relationship for content is between you, The Wall Street Journal, and the customer."

Farley's point is that since people already bring their smartphones into their vehicles, they won't want to pay for services they already have on their phones. Instead, they'll like to extend their smartphone into their car via CarPlay and Android Auto rather than having two separate systems.

On the business side, Farley doesn't believe having a custom infotainment system is enough of a differentiator to attract customers. He also mentioned that 70% of Ford customers in the US are Apple customers, so "Why would I go to an Apple customer and say good luck?"

In contrast, GM announced in March that it intends to gradually phase out CarPlay and Android Auto in its cars. Instead, it will build an internally-developed infotainment system in collaboration with Google, relying on subscription-based services.

It will keep CarPlay and Android Auto in its combustion vehicles, but future electric cars will use GM's system.

A preview of the next-generation of CarPlay
A preview of the next-generation of CarPlay

It hopes to profit from those subscriptions, such as Spotify, Audible, and other services. Drivers will also be able to use Google Maps and Google Assistant at no cost for eight years.

"We do believe there are subscription revenue opportunities for us," Edward Kummer, GM's chief digital officer, said. By 2030, GM CEO Mary Barra hopes to generate $20 to $25 billion in revenue from yearly subscription fees.

Apple intends to release what it calls the "next-generation" of CarPlay sometime in 2023, and will likely announce it at this year's WWDC. It will take over the car's instrument cluster to display gauges for stats like fuel and oil, engine temperature, and miles per gallon.

Read on AppleInsider
WhatWhatWhat

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 166member
    Mary Barra is totally delusional. That subscription revenue will never happen because Apple customers have the deepest pockets and will totally ignore GM vehicles. 

I'm one of those that will never buy a GM car because of this stupidity.  At one time, I might have considered an EV from them, but not now.  Thinking that they are going to make 20-25 billion from subscriptions from a car system is totally crazy. I would never pay one cent for a service that my iPhone already provides me while in the car.
    appleinsideruserAnilu_777lolliverStrangeDayszeus423chadbagjahbladesurgefilterwilliamlondonjas99
  • Reply 2 of 37
    omasouomasou Posts: 611member
    Finally someone who gets it.
    appleinsideruserzeus423isidorejahbladewilliamlondonjas99caladanianravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 37
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    > Ford wont [drop CarPlay] so it doesn't risk losing Apple customers.

Kind of a no-brainer really. Good luck GM.
    iOS_Guy80Anilu_777lolliverzeus423chadbagbyronljahbladesurgefilterjas99ols
  • Reply 4 of 37
    I wonder how much consideration GM gave to the multitudes of iPhone users who, like me, wouldn't consider a car that doesn't support CarPlay. 
    TomPMRIAnilu_777lolliverpaxmanfizzmasterzeus423chadbagjahbladesurgefilterwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 37
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,466member
    Why would a company give control of its product to another company?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Titan5178Titan5178 Posts: 2member
    Carplay and in particular Wireless Carplay was the #1 feature I wanted for my last TWO auto purchases (one being an EV). GM was eliminated from my decision because of other factors in these cases but when I'm in the market again they'll be eliminated right from the get-go because of this. I wouldn't be surprised if they backtrack this decision well before they ever implement it as $10-20 a month of subscription revenue isn't going to make up for the millions of $ of lost sales.
    Anilu_777lolliverfizzmasterzeus423command_fjas99olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 37
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,139member
    "Apple intends to release what it calls the "next-generation" of CarPlay sometime in 2023, and will likely announce it at this year's WWDC. It will take over the car's instrument cluster to display gauges for stats like fuel and oil, engine temperature, and miles per gallon."

Should be "It could take over…" if the vehicles manufacturer allows it.

As for GM, I can see them backing off this at some point. Enabling Android Auto and CarPlay in Android Automotive shouldn't be difficult.

Otherwise, I expect somebody to hack Android Automotive to enable those services.

The strange thing about GMs original announcement is that the services they discuss are free for 8 years so I don't see where that revenue stream is coming from unless it's for a data plan. Their current Essentials plan (no data for WiFi) is pretty sensible with OnStar, remote settings and vehicle monitoring including location tracking.
    Anilu_777command_fjahbladejas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 37
    SGilbertSGilbert Posts: 8member
    As with others, NEVER a GM that doesn't offer integration with my iPhone.
    lolliverzeus423chadbagjas99olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 567member
    Like everyone above GM has lost me as a potential customer. Been with Toyota for several years now but they lag on CarPlay connectivity so if I can get a Honda with the full dash CarPlay I’ll switch. 
    lolliverjas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,255member
    Perhaps the content owner of the content on the infotainment system isn’t GM, which was kinda the Ford guy’s point.

GM is trying to monetise their EVs by also becoming a middleman between the content owner and the driver. Clipping the ticket.  If I was generous some MBA weenie convinced leadership to try to reduce the up front price of EVs as a barrier to entry by,  in this case monetising the infotainment system through data mining.  The next logical step would be to actually charge a subscription for these kinds of services, only possible if GM controls access. And after that of course, make the whole car a subscription.

the corporations will own everything in the end.
    edited May 2023 FileMakerFellercommand_fjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 37
    slow n easyslow n easy Posts: 395member
    My current car is a 2015 Honda (the year before CarPlay was offered). Normally, I like to keep my car for 15 to 20 years, But not this time. Honda just now switched to Wireless CarPlay and I want to upgrade soon before it’s too late. This next one should be my last ICE vehicle so hopefully I can keep it for the next 20 years. I was thinking about an electric car but there are not enough options yet and Tesla doesn’t have CarPlay. If they did offer it, then I would have definitely been planning on getting one this year. So far, no one seems to have caught up to Tesla in my opinion. And non Tesla chargers are total garbage. The main thing I hate about Teslas is the lack of an instrument panel. I really don’t feel comfortable buying a car without an instrument panel. I know logically that there isn’t anything necessarily wrong with the idea but I just prefer to see the information right in front of me instead of having to look at the screen on the right.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 37
    stompystompy Posts: 410member
    So CarPlay is "total control of" a vehicle? Too much R.J.
    jas99
  • Reply 13 of 37
    I consider myself pretty average as humans/people go.

...and I won't buy a car that doesn't support Apple CarPlay (or Android Auto, if I used that platform.)

I wanted to buy a Tesla SO BAD last year... but I just couldn't do it due to the lack of CarPlay support... I spent more money to buy a car that supports the system I already use to track my entire life... so... I don't see how GM thinks they're gonna fare any better.
    fizzmasterzeus423jas99Dooofuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member
    Weird question. Better question: why would a company want to drive a wedge between its interests and its customers’ interests? When companies diverge their interests it sours the relationship…like trying to nickel and dime customers on vehicle subscription fees.
    command_fsurgefilterwilliamlondonjas99Dooofuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 37
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Dooofus said:
    Wow! As if there weren't already enough reasons to not buy GM products.
    This ^^^^ a million times.  GM was already low on the totem pole for me but this just seals the deal.   

As mentioned in other comments, Barra is delusional.  Kind of like S Ballmer when he was at MS and the iPhone came out.  
    surgefilterjas99Dooofuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 37
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    They wouldn’t.   That is not what the new CarPlay does on my understanding.   It provides a basic palette  for them to design their digital control cluster that meshes very well with the drivers iPhone.  

But they’ve (auto companies) have already given up control of their product.   Ist vehicles today use standard transmissions and even engines in some cases, and lots of other standard parts, that come from third parties and are merely tuned to their needs.   Much different from when I was a kid. 

edited May 2023 jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 37
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 423member
    "In terms of content, we kind of lost that battle 10 years ago," Farley said. "So like get real with it, because you're not going to make a ton of money on content inside the vehicle."
    There's someone that understands their market. Not only are the content services well established, there's the whole continuity of experience between what you're listening to (or whatever) as you walk to/from the vehicle and what you have inside. "The same" is surely the best answer.

On a similar consistency argument, I am wary of the idea of CarPlay providing the vehicle-related displays. Quite apart from the safety angle (they mustn't just go away), the vehicle manufacturer is likely to produce the best match to the rest of the vehicle's ergonomics.
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 37
    byronlbyronl Posts: 371member
    Mary Barra is totally delusional. That subscription revenue will never happen because Apple customers have the deepest pockets and will totally ignore GM vehicles. 
    Gm is going bankrupt for sure 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,959member
    stompy said:
    So CarPlay is "total control of" a vehicle? Too much R.J.
    No doubt Apple would like to wedge itself in as the hinge between car hardware and software but automakers would be foolish to let that happen unless Apple proposed a platform that the automaker could control. 

As it stands, from this article at at least, the word 'infotainment' is used which, as you point out, is a simple user facing content management system, not a deeply rooted car system. 

Nothing to do with the vehicle-to-everything communications scenario nor the onboard mini-datacentre, nor the 'sensing' capabilities of the car, nor user facing control of items that are beyond infoainment. 
    edited May 2023
  • Reply 20 of 37
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,520member
    We love our Chevy bolt with CarPlay.

GM is killing both the Bolt and CarPlay.

I guess we will be buying a ford next.
    watto_cobra