Galactic tensions rise as Apple TV+ series 'Foundation' returns in July

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple TV+ has released a preview for the upcoming second season of "Foundation" and shared an epic trailer that continues the saga with new and returning stars.

"Foundation" returns in a second season

The upcoming second season of "Foundation," adapted from Isaac Asimov's acclaimed stories, will showcase an international ensemble cast, including Emmy-nominated actors Jared Harris and Lee Pace and emerging stars Lou Llobell and Leah Harvey.

The ten-episode season will premiere globally on Apple TV+, with the first episode on Friday, July 14, followed by weekly releases every Friday.

In the second season of "Foundation," set over a hundred years after the events of the first season, tensions escalate across the galaxy. The Cleons, rulers of the Empire, face internal conflicts while a vengeful queen conspires to dismantle the Empire from within.

{"@context":"https://schema.org/","@type":"VideoObject","name":"Foundation -- Season 2 Official Teaser | Apple TV+","description":"All Empires Fall. Foundation returns July 14 on Apple TV+ https://apple.co/_Foundation ","thumbnailUrl":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ogReJyWgkBU/sddefault.jpg","uploadDate":"2023-05-11T14:00:17Z","duration":"PT1M31S","embedUrl":""}

Meanwhile, characters such as Hari, Gaal, and Salvor encounter a community of Mentalics possessing psionic powers that could disrupt the course of psychohistory. The Foundation enters a phase of religious influence, spreading the Church of Seldon and sparking the Second Crisis -- a war against the Empire.

This monumental adaptation of "Foundation" follows the journeys of four pivotal individuals who transcend time and space, navigating dangerous crises and shifting allegiances and relationships that will ultimately shape the destiny of humanity.

Alongside returning cast members Laura Birn, Cassian Bilton, and Terrence Mann, the second season of "Foundation" welcomes new characters and actors. Isabella Laughland joins as Brother Constant, Kulvinder Ghir as Poly Verisof, Ella-Rae Smith as Queen Sareth of Cloud Dominion, Holt McCallany as Warden Jaegger Fount, Rachel House as Tellem Bond, Nimrat Kaur as Yanna Seldon, Ben Daniels as Bel Riose, and Dimitri Leonidas as Hober Mallow.

The production of "Foundation" for Apple TV+ is spearheaded by Skydance Television, with showrunner and executive producer David S. Goyer at the helm. The series also features executive producers Alex Graves, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, Bill Bost, Robin Asimov, and Marcy Ross.

There is also an official podcast for "Foundation" hosted by Jason Concepcion and David Goyer. The podcast is produced by Pineapple Street Studios, with executive producers Max Linsky, Jenna Weiss-Berman, and Bari Finkel.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    I was a bit disappointed by the 1st season. Then I re-read last year all these books. And it is much better story than it is shown in the film.
    1. Galactic Empire series
      1. The Stars, Like Dust (1951) - first novel, set in the 49th century (4850), thousands of years in the future before the founding of a Galactic Empire[5]
      2. The Currents of Space (1952) - second novel, set in the 112th century (11129), set thousands of years in the future during Trantor's unification of the galaxy into a Galactic Empire[5]
      3. Pebble in the Sky (1950) - third novel, set in the 125th century (12411), primarily set thousands of years in the future on Earth, when the galaxy is unified into a Galactic Empire[5]
      4. "Blind Alley" (1945) - short story, set in the 126th century (12561—12562)[5]
    2. Foundation series
      1. Prelude to Foundation (1988) - first novel, set in the 237th century (23604)[5]
      2. Forward the Foundation (1993) - second novel, set in the 237th century (23612—23653)[5]
      3. Foundation (1951) - third novel, set from the 237th to 239th centuries (23651—23812)[5]
      4. Foundation and Empire (1952) - fourth novel, set from the 239th to 240th centuries (23847—23963)[5]
      5. Second Foundation (1953) - fifth novel, set from the 240th to 241st centuries (23968—24029)[5]
      6. Foundation's Edge (1982) - sixth novel, set in the 242nd century (24150)[5]
      7. Foundation and Earth (1986) - seventh novel, set in the 242nd century (24150)[5]

Over 20 thousand years of human history and evolution. Great progress. Exciting. Asimov was the genius.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraappleinsideruserspock1234
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Really looking forward to this second season. Loved the first one. Not even slightly concerned about it matching/following the books. Making stuff up worked wonderfully for Peter Jackson and his team with LOTR. I believe it’s working wonderfully for Foundation, too. YMMV, of course. I hope we get 4/5 seasons out of this. One very happy Irish Viking here!
    😎🇮🇪☘️ 
    williamlondonlolliverchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,134member
    urahara said:
    I was a bit disappointed by the 1st season. Then I re-read last year all these books. And it is much better story than it is shown in the film.
      1. The Stars, Like Dust (1951) - first novel, set in the 49th century (4850), thousands of years in the future before the founding of a Galactic Empire[5]
      2. The Currents of Space (1952) - second novel, set in the 112th century (11129), set thousands of years in the future during Trantor's unification of the galaxy into a Galactic Empire[5]
      3. Pebble in the Sky (1950) - third novel, set in the 125th century (12411), primarily set thousands of years in the future on Earth, when the galaxy is unified into a Galactic Empire[5]
      4. "Blind Alley" (1945) - short story, set in the 126th century (12561—12562)[5]
    2. Foundation series
      1. Prelude to Foundation (1988) - first novel, set in the 237th century (23604)[5]
      2. Forward the Foundation (1993) - second novel, set in the 237th century (23612—23653)[5]
      3. Foundation (1951) - third novel, set from the 237th to 239th centuries (23651—23812)[5]
      4. Foundation and Empire (1952) - fourth novel, set from the 239th to 240th centuries (23847—23963)[5]
      5. Second Foundation (1953) - fifth novel, set from the 240th to 241st centuries (23968—24029)[5]
      7. Foundation and Earth (1986) - seventh novel, set in the 242nd century (24150)[5]

Over 20 thousand years of human history and evolution. Great progress. Exciting. Asimov was the genius.
    Wish I had a nickel for every movie/TV show that didn't measure up to the book(s) they were based on. They cannot ever, and it is unfair to try to do so. 

I think the production value of this ATV+ is worth the price of admission. It is simply a different story than Asimov's.

And for the record, Isaac's 1950s SF was excellent, and indeed the standard for the modern day genre. However, in the late 1970, early 80s, the good doctor discovered the word processor, and his writing suffered. He got famous, anything he wrote was instantly sold. The follow on Foundation material was...poor. 

If I had a nickel for every author I could say this generally about, well..I'd own more AAPL stock. Both Tom Clancy and David Weber come immediately to mind. Good first half dozen or so books. Then...popular, no need to edit, writing suffered, and churned out much poor material. 
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    This Sci-Fi show should have been something that I would have watched.  I watched the 2 episodes so far of SILO and like that.   I think I started watching the first episode of Foundation, and for some reason, I can't even remember never finished watching the whole series.  I guess I have a couple of months to watch it through before the second season starts.

AppleTV+ in general doesn't have a ton of content, but what they do have, most of it is great.    My time is limited on what I can watch.  
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    kestralkestral Posts: 311member
    Foundation, Severance, Ted Lasso, Apple is on fire.
    kiltedgreenwatto_cobraappleinsideruserbyronlkillroy
  • Reply 6 of 13
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 624member
    I found Series 1 compelling in terms of performance, sets, scale, effects, acting, intelligence and drama - so good that I watched the whole series all over again and appreciated some things I’d missed the first time. I am SO looking forward to Series two.

I would urge anyone who has not listened to the Foundation podcast to do so. The director explains the decisions that were made, how he came to the novel through his father, how he loves the book but why he considers it unfilmable and hence why he made the changes he did in order to put it on screen. I found it a superb companion to the series and adds extra appreciation to the whole series.
    lolliverchasmwatto_cobraappleinsideruserkillroy
  • Reply 7 of 13
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 624member
    I hope we get 4/5 seasons out of this. 
    ߘ箰☘️ 

on the Foundation podcast the director said he thought it would take about 8 seasons to complete it. I hope Apple lets him do so. ߤt;/div>

edited May 2023 lolliverwatto_cobrakillroy
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    jbdragon said:
    This Sci-Fi show should have been something that I would have watched.  I watched the 2 episodes so far of SILO and like that.   I think I started watching the first episode of Foundation, and for some reason, I can't even remember never finished watching the whole series.  I guess I have a couple of months to watch it through before the second season starts.

AppleTV+ in general doesn't have a ton of content, but what they do have, most of it is great.    My time is limited on what I can watch.  
    I was unconvinced after a few episodes. But the AppleTV+ shows already seem to have a pedigree—they often go with slow burn that builds in a very appealing way—for me at least. I stuck with Foundation and by the end was really grooving on it. I will re-watch before July…
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonkillroy
  • Reply 9 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,284member
    urahara said:
    2. Foundation series

Like Frank Herbert’s Dune, the Foundation stories or I should say the characters in them were dry and one dimensional, like the Star Wars movies, great to look at, and technically brilliant, one thing that is good however is that Foundation has been dramatized for a television finally, but if you want to read anything by Richard Matheson, Ray Bradbury, Robert Bloch, John L. Campbell, or James Blish. A lot of their work is already been dramatized on the Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, the Outer limits, the original Star Trek and various other TV movies over the years much better story, characters, writing, and direction.

I can see why Apple did it, because of massive popularity of Star Wars in Hollywood, which is also similar to the Marvel, and DC phenomenon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,524member
    kestral said:
    Foundation, Severance, Ted Lasso, Apple is on fire.
    You haven’t even scratched the surface of the greatness of Apple TV. Nearly all of the shows on it are excellent — it’s just a matter of what one is “into”. I gave a few shows I didn’t think I’d like a chance and all but one kept me watching — and my TV watching time is very limited.

Home, Schmigadoon, Earth at Night in Color, The Reluctant Traveler, The Problem with Jon Stewart, For All Mankind, Tiny World, The Elephant Queen, Shrinking, See, Dickinson, Tetris, Hello Tomorrow, Coda, Long Way Up, Still, Amazing Stories, Louis Armstrong’s Black and Blues … and I haven’t even touched the excellent kids’ programming or the sport stuff because I’m not into sports and have no children.

AND ON TOP OF ALL THAT … it’s one of the cheapest of the paid streaming services!
    Alex_Vwatto_cobraappleinsideruserwilliamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 11 of 13
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member
    I really loved the first season, and honestly the time I read the books is so distant that I could not compare. The only minor objection I had was a questionable colorimetry of all episodes. I look forward for the second series !
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 13
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 163member
    Really looking forward to this second season. Loved the first one. Not even slightly concerned about it matching/following the books. Making stuff up worked wonderfully for Peter Jackson and his team with LOTR. I believe it’s working wonderfully for Foundation, too. YMMV, of course. I hope we get 4/5 seasons out of this. One very happy Irish Viking here!
    😎🇮🇪☘️ 
    Can't tell if your are serious or kidding, but I almost choked on the 'Making stuff up worked wonderfully for Peter Jackson and his team with LOTR' bit. The success of the LOTR trilogy was primarily due to the fact that Peter Jackson stuck faithfully to the written material. On the other hand, 'The Rings of Power', which not only deviated from the original materials but also spit on Tolkien's legacy, is the biggest failure in TV history. 

This version of Foundation follows in Amazon's footsteps, and spits on Asimov's ideas, values, and legacy. The grand ideas and philosophy that made Foundation books great were thrown away to create a TV series that is related only in name to Asimov's work. I can only hope the producers have the sense to return to the source material in the second season. If not, the second season will be as hated as the first.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 13
    spock1234spock1234 Posts: 163member
    danox said: Like Frank Herbert’s Dune, the Foundation stories or I should say the characters in them were dry and one dimensional, like the Star Wars movies, great to look at, and technically brilliant,  .... I can see why Apple did it, because of massive popularity of Star Wars in Hollywood, which is also similar to the Marvel, and DC phenomenon.
    This TV series is the worst thing that could have happened to Asimov's Foundation, and a terrible introduction to Asimov's greatest work for the general public. It steals the name and a few ideas, but has nothing to do with the story Asimov told. Now, this sorry excuse for a SciFi series will only discourage other, better writers from attempting to create a true 'Foundation' series. What a pity! 

BTW, to be clear, Apple has nothing to do with the creative decisions in this series. It is produced by an independent company and Apple simply bought it, the same way networks buy shows created by other studios. I don't blame Apple for this garbage, but I do blame them for renewing it for another season. 
    williamlondon