xrOS has been trademarked in New Zealand ahead of potential WWDC reveal [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2023
A trademark filing in New Zealand may have confirmed the Apple VR Headset operating system name is xrOS.

xrOS will be the operating system powering Apple VR
xrOS will be the operating system powering Apple VR

Regulatory processes, trademarks, patents, and more can and have revealed Apple's future plans -- but they are not foolproof sources. A trademark filed on Monday might be the final confirmation of Apple's planned name for its virtual reality operating system, but it was filed under a shell corporation.

A discovery from Vox Media's Parker Ortolani shows xrOS has been trademarked in New Zealand by a corporation named Deep Dive LLC. He says this must be a shell corporation, meaning it might actually be Apple pulling the strings on this trademark.

The key detail is that the phrase is trademarked with the Apple font SF Pro in an example image. Deep Dive LLC filed for both the traditional xrOS and all-caps XROS in two separate applications.

Both trademark applications are pending, XROS with case number 1228101 filed on January 11 and xrOS with case number 1236766 filed on May 10.

New Zealand isn't the only territory to see a trademark filing from Deep Dive LLC. Spotted by an AppleInsider reader, two applications were made by the shell company for trademarks in Singapore.

Just as in New Zealand, the marks are for "xrOS" and "XROS," covering a number of computing and electronics-related goods and services classes. The all-caps version was filed on September 22, 2022m, while "xrOS" was applied for on May 11, 2023.

Both listings are shown as "Pending (Under examination)"

It's likely Apple will announce the new extended reality operating system during WWDC in June, then transfer the trademarks to itself.

Previous rumors from Mark Gurman suggested that Apple would use the name xrOS to refer to its Apple VR Headset operating system. This name replaced a previous variation in the rumor cycle called realityOS.

All signs point to Apple's very expensive VR Headset being revealed during its developer conference. This trademark filing may just be the final bit of evidence before the event begins in three weeks.

Updated on May 16, 11:29 AM Added discovery of filings in Singapore.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    I need a VR  headset like I need a hole in my head....but wait...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 12
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Relevant patent applications should start to be published soon after WWDC by the US PTO, as well, when the standard 1-year embargo ends on each one filed by Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    dope_ahminedope_ahmine Posts: 253member
    Maybe they put xray vision in those goggles. All the sudden they wouldn’t seem so expensive anymore.
    B)
    edited May 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 12
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Maybe these goggles will help me locating the money I have left after buying one?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    prokip said:
    Good thing nobody is forcing you to buy any of them, huh! Phew. 
    williamlondonmac_dogFidonet127
  • Reply 6 of 12
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    prokip said:
    I've been waiting for 5 years for Apple to do VR. I'm ordering as soon as they go on sale. VR is the best home exercise equipment ever made.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 211member
    Bring on the ski goggle
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    There are pros and cons to VR gear and while they might be appealing to some as exercise equipment, they can quickly get uncomfortable from perspiration, lack of air circulation, and heat. This is more of a problem with people with vision conditions (myopia, astigmatism, etc.).

I have an Oculus Rift S and the longest session I can stand is about 45 minutes then I need to take a 10 minute break before maybe one more 35-45 minute session. Also, my eyes get tired quickly since they are basically focusing on a fresnel lens at a fixed distance. This has gotten worse over the passing decades.

Another issue is the fact that your hands may be holding controllers which does not allow you to hold other objects at the same time. You can move your arm, but you won't get the benefits of localized muscle training like holding a tennis racket, baseball bat or free weights.

In the same way, riding a physical bicycle is better than a stationary bike because your body's core needs to work to maintain balance to keep upright and on course during manuevres. On a stationary bike, you can basically cross your arms and do nothing.

Because of the placement of the VR headgear, the wearer is limited in movement types, especially for lower body. You basically have to stay upright for most of the session because the headgear can move.

Consumer VR gear has extremely primitive haptics. For example, if you miss hit a tennis ball off the frame of your racket, you can feel it. This level of haptic feedback isn't really available on consumer VR devices yet.

I think VR technology can be used as one part of a comprehensive exercise program, but its shortcomings limit it to a small portion of a total regimen.

For sure, VR technology is not a magic bullet for exercise. Apple is more about XR not VR anyhow. VR is more immersive but has far more practical challenges in becoming an integral part of Joe Consumer's everyday life.

Anyhow, this is just a trademark filing. Apple does not take every trademark they file to the market as a consumer product.

My guess is that some of the shortcomings with VR technology will eventually be addressed but for sure it's not going to happen over a three day span in June this year or next year. These improvements will happen incrementally over years. Some may never be fully conquered due to physics, cost considerations, safety reasons, human anatomy, etc. 

Another thing for sure the governments of this world will regulate VR technology far more in twenty years than they do today.
    edited May 2023
  • Reply 9 of 12
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    I tried a VR headset for the first time, this weekend, for about 20 minutes. I tried several apps, such as golf and a roller coaster. There's definitely an initial learning curve that will turn some people off. Even after 20 minutes I was still struggling to intuitively remember what the (6?) buttons do, but each app interprets buttons differently, so it's always going to be a challenge. And of course if the headset doesn't allow people to have glasses, it's going to be a really tough sell since most people need corrective lenses.

I didn't have any problem keeping my balance even when in full VR mode, probably because I'm a programmer, but I can see how most people could/will potentially fall and hurt themselves. The injuries will definitely negate the fitness values, unless Apple doesn't permit full screen VR apps and always limits apps to augmented reality only. I just can't see Apple letting people hurt themselves, so I'm going to predict that Apple will not allow any full screen VR apps. I'm also going to predict that any Apple headset will have some mechanism to implement (or let users wear) corrective lenses. Otherwise the majority of potential buyers will be fairly disappointed, and the whole effort will be limited to 20% of the population. (80% of families have some family members who need corrective lenses. There's less value to buying one if several people in the family can't use it.)

One thing I learned is that there are two types of augmented reality. (1) The version where you can "see reality" through a transparent screen; and (2) the version where the "real world is redrawn" and displayed on an opaque screen. I don't know which method is better. But I think the former would produce much better results, since there's no limit on resolution. 

Regardless of the quality of the display, I'll probably end up buying the Apple headset, rather than anyone else's, for the simple reason that I trust the direction Apple is moving on user privacy. I trust that some other companies have ZERO respect for my privacy.

If Apple implements corrective lenses, then maybe (just maybe) I could legally use those lenses while driving. Any AR software may have to be turned off when driving. But I wouldn't have to buy glasses any more.
    FileMakerFellerradarthekat
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    I love how we have gone from the story that engineers say the product is not ready to sell to they are going to have a lot of apps and well done to they are going to be announced at WWDC in such a short amount of time. If they are ready to sell soon, it means the hardware was finalized a long time ago. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    prokip said:
    Oh, you want a Neuralink then.  Better wait until Elon finishes the Monkey Pong testing.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 12
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    I tried a VR headset for the first time, this weekend, for about 20 minutes. I tried several apps, such as golf and a roller coaster. There's definitely an initial learning curve that will turn some people off. Even after 20 minutes I was still struggling to intuitively remember what the (6?) buttons do, but each app interprets buttons differently, so it's always going to be a challenge. And of course if the headset doesn't allow people to have glasses, it's going to be a really tough sell since most people need corrective lenses.

I didn't have any problem keeping my balance even when in full VR mode, probably because I'm a programmer, but I can see how most people could/will potentially fall and hurt themselves. The injuries will definitely negate the fitness values, unless Apple doesn't permit full screen VR apps and always limits apps to augmented reality only. I just can't see Apple letting people hurt themselves, so I'm going to predict that Apple will not allow any full screen VR apps. I'm also going to predict that any Apple headset will have some mechanism to implement (or let users wear) corrective lenses. Otherwise the majority of potential buyers will be fairly disappointed, and the whole effort will be limited to 20% of the population. (80% of families have some family members who need corrective lenses. There's less value to buying one if several people in the family can't use it.)

One thing I learned is that there are two types of augmented reality. (1) The version where you can "see reality" through a transparent screen; and (2) the version where the "real world is redrawn" and displayed on an opaque screen. I don't know which method is better. But I think the former would produce much better results, since there's no limit on resolution. 

Regardless of the quality of the display, I'll probably end up buying the Apple headset, rather than anyone else's, for the simple reason that I trust the direction Apple is moving on user privacy. I trust that some other companies have ZERO respect for my privacy.

If Apple implements corrective lenses, then maybe (just maybe) I could legally use those lenses while driving. Any AR software may have to be turned off when driving. But I wouldn't have to buy glasses any more.
    Try:

Eleven Table Tennis. You just swing the paddle just like ping pong and can play people all over the world any time of the day or night. Only button required is the trigger button on the other hand to spawn a ball to serve.

Thrill of the fight. You just box, not buttons needed. Killer workout.

AudioTrip VR - you just move your body and get a great workout, no buttons needed

OhShape - you just move your body and get a great workout, no buttons needed

Beat Saber - you just move your body and get a great workout, no buttons needed

Les Mills Bodycombat - you just move your body, no buttons needed, killer workout

Walkabout Minigolf - pull trigger to move yourself to the ball, otherwise just put like you're playing real life mini-golf. Can play with friends, or can play with people from all over the world. Not much of a workout, but is tons of fun.

For all of these, your body is the controller, you move just like you'd move in real life. Step to the side, squat, lean, punch, can customize your workout to your fitness level by selecting different apps or different levels of the same app.

williamlondon