Why Tesla can get by without CarPlay but other car makers can't

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 829member
    y2an said:
    GM and this article miss the boat. It’s about my data, not streaming audio. My phone has my life on it. Ask to take me to a friend’s house, it does without any cross-keying of data. Call a friend? Likewise. It’s the data, dummy. The data. 
    Tesla does a decent job of using the Contacts and Calendar data on your phone for their apps. But not, it will never be perfect. H
  • Reply 22 of 90
    S8ER95ZS8ER95Z Posts: 11member
    twolf2919 said:
    I think the main reason Tesla has so far gotten away with not supporting CarPlay is that it had first mover advantage in the EV space and could sell its EVs whether they had CarPlay or not.  It's not like people who wanted a good EV had a choice.  I predict that as more capable EVs with CarPlay come on the market, Tesla will eventually be forced to support it as well.  Sure, Tesla has a bunch of its own Infotainment content that other car manufacturers don't, but it's not about the number of options, but the familiarity!  Most people I know want the familiarity of (and access to their data on) the iPhone.  They don't want to leave to learn yet another - sometimes not very user friendly - platform.  With respect to their data, they trust Apple to protect it, whereas they may not trust car manufacturers not to monetize it.

I guess we will see how this plays out.  I completely agree that GM has lost their marbles deciding to not include it in future EVs.  No wonder Ford's CEO laughed when he heard the news.
    This, Tesla could have sold with no radio option at all and the fan base would have bought it.  
    lolliver
  • Reply 23 of 90
    Everybody I know uses CarPlay and loves it. I bought a Tesla after years of CarPlay and I really miss CarPlay. Using bluetooth from my iPhone is not a great experience. What I miss the most from CarPlay is Apple Maps, because the navigation is way better than Tesla navigation, Messages, Apple Books, Libby, and much better integration of phone, contacts, and calendar.  Messages and Texting is painful, as is audiobooks.

williamlondonlolliverAlex_V
  • Reply 24 of 90
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,414member
    In theory GM might be able to get away with this. The keys are to:
    1.  build a good UI
    2. support all the relevant content streaming services (there's no reason that Apple Music, Spotify, Netflix, etc couldn't be offered in a GM car)
    and, not absolutely necessarily but ideally
    3. offer something special/unique that is better than CarPlay through a phone. 

#2 is drop dead easy. 
    #1 is where I suspect GM will struggle, though *in theory* they could get it right by hiring the right people and letting them do their job

For #3, Tesla offers seamless integration with their charging network and... uh... I guess "full" self driving (ahem). 

GM's super cruise is arguably already better than Tesla "full" self driving, so that's something. I doubt GM will be able to address the seamless charging integration, but I suppose it's not crazy bananas impossible that they might. 

So bottom line.... Yeah, it's theoretically possible that GM could make this work. But software is hard and I'm skeptical GM can pull it off. 
    FileMakerFellerAlex_V
  • Reply 25 of 90
    alandailalandail Posts: 757member
    siretman said:
    I don’t rent a car unless it has CarPlay. I am ready with my USB cable and all waypoints set as favorites in my Maps app. 
    The only way to go in a new city with least amount of errors and screwups. 
    I won't rent a car unless it's a Tesla.

CarPlay brings navigation and music to cars that support it. Tesla has those native, including Apple Music. On trips, when combined with FSD, Tesla's navigation doesn't just tell you where to charge, it drives you from charger to charger. We took a 3400 mile road trip recently, I drove 100 miles, the car drove the rest. I wouldn't even think of taking that same road trip in any other car.
    williamlondonkurai_kage
  • Reply 26 of 90
    sbdude said:
    Tesla can get away with it because no other manufacturer has the rabid (and often blind) fan base that Tesla does. One need only look at manufacturing defects, reliability and other objective measures as they relate to "satisfaction" ratings to determine that Tesla drivers often overlook the shortcomings simply because of their adulation for the brand. CarPlay is but one of the features you won't find in a Tesla compared to other brands: satellite radio, branded (premium) sound systems, a speedometer in front of the steering wheel, an external/internal refresh every 7 years or so.
    I went from Mercedes E Class with upgraded audio to Tesla Model 3 Performance. The Tesla Model 3 sound system absolutely blows away what I had in the Mercedes. Everyone who rides in my car is amazed at how good the sound system is.

Maybe take the time to understand why Tesla absolutely blows away customer satisfaction surveys instead of assuming everyone who owns one is wrong.

Going from the Mercedes to the Tesla was like going from a flip phone to an iPhone.

We replaced our second Mercedes within 2 weeks because we both only wanted to drive the Tesla.

And the longer we own them, the better they get though over the air software updates, just like our phones and computers.
    edited May 2023 williamlondonkingofsomewherehotCelticPaddykurai_kage
  • Reply 27 of 90
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 642member
    To be honest not many people (at least the people i know) use any form of carplay. Only recent cars have came around to it and it will probably take another 5 years for it to go mainstream when people finally upgrade their cars
    *with the exception of rental cars where it is the only way to go.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    blastdoor said:
    In theory GM might be able to get away with this. The keys are to:
    1.  build a good UI
    2. support all the relevant content streaming services (there's no reason that Apple Music, Spotify, Netflix, etc couldn't be offered in a GM car)
    and, not absolutely necessarily but ideally
    3. offer something special/unique that is better than CarPlay through a phone. 

#2 is drop dead easy. 
    #1 is where I suspect GM will struggle, though *in theory* they could get it right by hiring the right people and letting them do their job

For #3, Tesla offers seamless integration with their charging network and... uh... I guess "full" self driving (ahem). 

GM's super cruise is arguably already better than Tesla "full" self driving, so that's something. I doubt GM will be able to address the seamless charging integration, but I suppose it's not crazy bananas impossible that they might. 

So bottom line.... Yeah, it's theoretically possible that GM could make this work. But software is hard and I'm skeptical GM can pull it off. 

Absolutely isn't better than FSD. My car can drive from my street to any destination anywhere in the country, highway or city. No other car comes close to doing that.
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 29 of 90
    alandail said:
    sbdude said:
    Tesla can get away with it because no other manufacturer has the rabid (and often blind) fan base that Tesla does. One need only look at manufacturing defects, reliability and other objective measures as they relate to "satisfaction" ratings to determine that Tesla drivers often overlook the shortcomings simply because of their adulation for the brand. CarPlay is but one of the features you won't find in a Tesla compared to other brands: satellite radio, branded (premium) sound systems, a speedometer in front of the steering wheel, an external/internal refresh every 7 years or so.
    I went from Mercedes E Class with upgraded audio to Tesla Model 3 Performance. The Tesla Model 3 sound system absolutely blows away what I had in the Mercedes. Everyone who rides in my car is amazed at how good the sound system is.

Maybe take the time to understand why Tesla absolutely blows away customer satisfaction surveys instead of assuming everyone who owns one is wrong.

Going from the Mercedes to the Tesla was like going from a flip phone to an iPhone.

We replaced our second Mercedes within 2 weeks because we both only wanted to drive the Tesla.

And the longer we own them, the better they get though over the air software updates, just like our phones and computers.
    I agree the Tesla sound system is fantastic. But the regen is so annoying. I can't believe there is no way to turn it off.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    alandail said:
    siretman said:
    I don’t rent a car unless it has CarPlay. I am ready with my USB cable and all waypoints set as favorites in my Maps app. 

CarPlay brings navigation and music to cars that support it. Tesla has those native, including Apple Music. On trips, when combined with FSD, Tesla's navigation doesn't just tell you where to charge, it drives you from charger to charger. We took a 3400 mile road trip recently, I drove 100 miles, the car drove the rest. I wouldn't even think of taking that same road trip in any other car.
    Did the car change lanes automatically, or do yo have to use the blinker?
    lolliver
  • Reply 31 of 90
    rgw1469rgw1469 Posts: 13member
    The best aspects of a Tesla are the range and straight-line driving experience off the line. Their cabin software package advantage has been eroded pretty quickly by the luxury manufacturers. I don't think Tesla is going to be able to play the "well our software is just so damn good you don't need it" game much longer. 

lolliverkurai_kage
  • Reply 32 of 90
    sflagel said:
    alandail said:
    siretman said:

Did the car change lanes automatically, or do yo have to use the blinker?
    does all of it automatically. Changes lanes, taking exits, turning, stop lights, stop signs, traffic circles. Most people really have no idea how advanced FSD Beta is because Tesla doesn't advertise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWHizZOnroA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKGI-PcHnPg
    edited May 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 90
    aestivalaestival Posts: 75member
    The lack of CarPlay is why my next vehicle definitely won't be a GM, though to be honest GM hasn't been my manufacturer of choice in decades. The extraordinarily uneven behavior of Elon Musk is why my next vehicle definitely won't be a Tesla — which is a huge change from just a few years back, when I was likely to choose Tesla. I know there are millions of customers out there, but I cannot fathom why companies are driving any segment of customers away — that seems like the opposite of good business.
    lolliver9secondkox2
  • Reply 34 of 90
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    CarPlay does not support web browser. If one likes to surf the net while the car is not moving, CarPlay is useless. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 90
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,218member
    i decided to look at a Hyundai ionic as an alternative to a Tesla because of CarPlay for our second car.
    I then discovered it was more competitively priced and higher build quality too. No brainer.
    williamlondonFileMakerFellersflageltmayroundaboutnow
  • Reply 36 of 90
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member
    "This list of features and content doesn't even account for the company's full self-driving service"
    Sorry, but that should read Fully Self-Driving with caps (or FSD), because it's merely a product name for a feature that isn't fully self-driving, despite nearly a decade of promises, price increases, and dropped promises on older Tesla hardware.
    edited May 2023 lolliverAlex_VCelticPaddytmay
  • Reply 37 of 90
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member
    I don't see an advantage to maintaining separate digital lives on my iPhone and my vehicles. Apple CarPlay will always be a sought-after feature. In conclusion: I won't be buying GM or Tesla. (fwiw: I've tried Tesla and was freaked out--and injured--by its driving decisions. I'm also not a fan of cars that need subscriptions.)
    edited May 2023 lolliver9secondkox2dewme
  • Reply 38 of 90
    I owned aa 2016 Tesla and would still own it if I hadn’t moved to Bozeman, MT. Charging remains and issue for all EVs in big, remote states like MT. I never really missed CarPlay in the Tesla and I suppose I could manage fine without it, BUT, I’ve become so used to using it in both our Mercedes Sprinter and our Audi Q5e that I dont think I’d buy another car without it. General Motors may think they can compete with Apple but I might not buy that nice e-Corvette or whatever other GM product if it doesn't come with CarPlay. The General isn’t in charge of much any more. Apple wears the stars. Why should I spend my next $100k on something that has inferior software and support. Compete with Apple at your own peril, GM!
    williamlondonlolliver9secondkox2dewme
  • Reply 39 of 90
    FC49erFC49er Posts: 19member
    Tesla has gotten away with it so far due to their superior changing network
    kingofsomewherehotsflagel
  • Reply 40 of 90
    edge57edge57 Posts: 5member
    siretman said:
    I totally agree... and I won't buy a new car unless it has CarPlay integration either. It's just so much easier to have your Maps destinations and favorites, Apple Music playlists, Messages, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders integration, etc. directly from your phone than it is to set up something new. 
    edited May 2023 lolliver