Apple updates iOS and macOS iWork apps with new SVG support, ProRes on mobile

Posted:
in Mac Software

Apple has rolled out a handful of new updates across its iWork suite, standardizing support for scalable vector graphics and adding support for ProRes on iOS and iPadOS versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

Image Credit: Apple
Image Credit: Apple
Pages

, Apple's word processor app, has received several noteworthy updates, as detailed on the App Store.

• Start writing in Notes, then open your note in Pages to continue editing with powerful design and layout features

• Create business reports, school papers, and greeting cards with updated templates

• Add scalable vector graphics (SVGs) to your documents and preserve visual quality at any size

• Break apart imported SVG images and save them to your shapes library for future use

• Retain SVG images when exporting books into EPUB format, including book cover art

• Show subtotal summary labels in stacked bar, column, and area charts

• Export the pages of your document as image files

The iPad and iPhone version of Pages also supports ProRes videos, allowing users to insert and play them directly in their pages document.

Numbers, Apple's spreadsheet app, has been updated similarly.

• Add scalable vector graphics (SVGs) to your documents and preserve visual quality at any size

• Break apart imported SVG images and save them to your shapes library for future use

And, like Pages on iOS, Numbers on iOS now supports ProRes videos in-document.

Lastly, Keynote, Apple's presentation software, has also received a handful of updates.

However, unique to Keynote is the ability to easily switch to your slideshow window when sharing Keynote on a FaceTime call.

The new versions of the iWork apps require macOS Monterey 12.3, iOS 15.4, and iPadOS 15.4.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 888member
    iOS iWork apps are terrific. Glad that Apple periodically updates them.
    watto_cobragregoriusmwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I’m surprised that it didn’t support SVG before.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobragregoriusmwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Agreed. The format was formally adopted by the W3C in 1999 - that's a long time for Apple to leave it on the feature backlog.
    watto_cobragregoriusmwilliamlondonappleinsideruser
  • Reply 4 of 7
    macgizmomacgizmo Posts: 103member
    To be fair, I've been adding vector .eps and .ai files to my keynote documents for many years.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 7
    SEonlineSEonline Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    Technically you could put SVG in these for a very long time. You just had to open them in Adobe illustrator or another vector app, select the artwork, then paste it in Pages, Numbers or Keynote. You could scale them to any size and loose now resolution, actual true vector artwork. It just wouldn't let you natively drop the file format in there. Where as you could drag and drop EPS and AI file formats directly into those previously. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jellybellyjellybelly Posts: 135member
    SEonline said:
    Technically you could put SVG in these for a very long time. You just had to open them in Adobe illustrator or another vector app, select the artwork, then paste it in Pages, Numbers or Keynote. You could scale them to any size and loose now resolution, actual true vector artwork. It just wouldn't let you natively drop the file format in there. Where as you could drag and drop EPS and AI file formats directly into those previously. 
    To comments on .eps and .ai files.  The internal file format on .EPS files is Postscript and includes a raster bitmapped preview.  If you drag an EPS file into most docs that let you do that, you are viewing the bitmapped preview. It’s the same with importing an EPS file. A graphics program like Crorel Draw might have the internal dictionary to parse the vectors into editable format. I’m not sure as I’m a bit unfamiliar with Corel Draw. Pasting is simpler than importing for most graphic file formats.

However the internal format on Adobe Illustrator (AI) , while in the early 1990’s was Postscript but today and for a long time along with InDesign is PDF! Vector graphics in Photoshop today are PDF.  You can import a PDF into InDesign but pasting the whole file is another matter due to interpretations needed by file prolog parameters and instructions that importing will parse. I haven’t tried pasting a PDF file in years if ever, so I’m not sure if there are now provisions for that.
    This comes with a complex caution that the internal graphics format is not equivalent of the saved-on-disk .ai format.  When saved, there is a Prolog in the .ai file with information and parameters that tell Illustrator about the contents.  And to make things more complex, there are different PDF formats. 
    But the bottom line is that you can copy and paste vector graphics from an open Illustrator file into open InDesign, Photoshop and even AfterEffects files.  
    Another odd item is editing text in a PDF will have chunks of text that are discontiguous for selection, depending on what you have used to open the PDF. Some kerning and letterspacing and other text attributes don’t necessarily translate to a program that doesn’t have that ability.  
    NEXT Computer used PDF as a display format to its screen display and was inherited by Mac OSX when it debuted on the Mac.  Hence, beautiful typography on the Mac with debut of OSX. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,043member
    The SVG thing is huge. 

Well done Apple.