Sony has been hyping Apple Vision Pro display tech since 2022

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

At the 2023 Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple talked up the richness of its display technology in its upcoming AR/VR headset, the Apple Vision Pro, but it turns out Sony has been hyping the technology since 2022.

Apple Vision Pro lenses
Apple Vision Pro lenses

Apple is putting incredibly high-resolution displays in the headset, one 4K display for each eye. The company says that the displays pack 23 million pixels into a pair of displays, thanks to micro-OLED technology.

The displays also support high dynamic range and wide color, and boast sharp lenses to make sure the Vision Pro user is looking at the clearest image possible. The company also flaunted the fact that Vision Pro's displays can fit 64 pixels in the same space filled by a single iPhone pixel.

That display technology is a breakthrough in its own right, and Sony showed it off last year at the company's "Technology Day." While Apple calls the display tech "micro-OLED," Sony actually refers to it as "OLED Microdisplay."

The resolution of the two displays is a major talking point of the demonstration, but the company also notes that latency matters just as much. As such, Sony made sure the processing time stayed less than 0.01 second.

Sony says that normally the processing time for this display resolution is around 0.1 second, but the company needed to avoid making people feel dizzy while using the VR headset. To make that happen, they had to combine sensor data and latency compensation technology.

The end result is the VR headset converting the image according to the user's head position, before that image is displayed.

"The processing time is reduced by decreasing the amount of latency throughout the entire system thanks to the integration of data from multiple sensors. The person watching in VR can experience high-definition images in real time according to the movement of his/her head. In addition to industrial applications, the OLED microdisplay is expected to be used in the entertainment field, as it can express the texture of materials and human expressions in high-definition in real time based on movements of the viewer's head."

Unsurprisingly, the Apple Vision Pro headset is packed with technology. Which it should be, considering the $3,499 launch price tag.

Those incredibly sharp displays packed in the headset are just one reason why some people are expecting Apple's AR/VR headset to ring the death knell for traditional TV sets in the home. Whether or not that actually happens remains to be seen.

Sony might be hyped for the display technology it has created that will be used in the Vision Pro, but it's not willing to bend to Apple's demands as far as production is concerned. The company recently refused Apple's demands to increase screen production for the AR/VR headset, aiming to reach 900,000 screens for the immediate future.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    andyorkneyandyorkney Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    So is this the fruit of the development plan that has been in place since 2011 when Steve Jobs reported that he had TV cracked? Think this project has been in development since Steve’s days 
    FileMakerFellerappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,466member
    The original Powerbook 100 was also designed by Sony
    rezwitsjibwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,350member
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but the video said that to avoid motion sickness, the latency must be LESS THAN 10ms.  However, isn't the Vision Pro Latency 12ms?
    JP234danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    stoneygstoneyg Posts: 55member
    jdw said:
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but the video said that to avoid motion sickness, the latency must be LESS THAN 10ms.  However, isn't the Vision Pro Latency 12ms?
    I imagine the slight increase of 2-3 ms for Apple (which I assume is just for all the additional processing the Vision Pro is doing) isn't enough to introduce noticeable motion sickness.
    ronnrezwitsFileMakerFellersphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,248member
    JP234 said:
    Two things stand out in this article:
    MicroLED display. So Sony showed this tech ALL THE WAY BACK IN 2022? I see that Samsung is also currently selling MicroLED TV's starting at $74,999. 

Careful not to mix up LED and OLED. Those are different technologies.

MicroLED is not the same as MicroOLED. That "O" matters.

MicroLED is superior to MicroOLED, but is vastly more difficult and expensive to produce.
    edited June 2023 ronnJP234roundaboutnowrezwitsStrangeDaysFileMakerFellerappleinsiderusersphericwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 6 of 17
    jdw said:
    It isn’t exact. If you are within an order of 10 it is probably close enough.
    ronnrezwitswilliamlondonsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,302member
    jdw said:

From my read of the article, it sounds like processing based on head movement anticipates where objects should be on the screen to compensate for these slight latency issues.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    JP234 said:

Well thanks for making me do the work and find out you're right! I was unaware there was a difference until you pointed it out. I read this on CNET:
    "Suffice it to say right now, MicroLED is better suited for large, wall-sized displays using individual pixels made up of LEDs. Micro-OLED is better suited for tiny, high-resolution displays. This isn't to say that MicroLED can't be used in smaller displays, and we'll likely see some eventually."

But neither tech is cheap yet, is it?
    I am assuming like most technologies, as they scale production the cost will decrease.  Look at the cost of large OLED televisions today vs 5-10 years ago.  

I am guessing the reason for the rumored "shortage" is that Sony has some of the initial production allocated to their high end camera's.  I would guess the main reason Sony developed this was for their camera's electronic view finders, where they want high pixel count and low latency, and it just happened to be an excellent display for VR as well.
    JP234ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,019member
    JP234 said:
    MicroLED display. So Sony showed this tech ALL THE WAY BACK IN 2022? I see that Samsung is also currently selling MicroLED TV's starting at $74,999. Good bet that the extra $500 (over the $2,999 pre-release estimates) was due to this nascent and expensive tech. Possibly more.

Once again, the "death knell for traditional TV sets" trope comes up in an Appleinsider article. There is no way headsets that cost well over $4,000-5,000 EACH (with sales tax, AppleCare+, and options like vision corrective lenses or memory upgrades) are going to replace a TV set that multiple people can watch at the same time. It would cost a family of four at least $15,000. You can get a really, really nice, giant TV set for way less. The Sony BRAVIA XR 77” OLED 4K TV sells for $3,499. Not big enough for ya? Samsung has an 85" Neo QLED 8K TV for $3,999.

The only people I see replacing their TVs with goggles are loners with no friends or family in the real world (makes me sad for them). Or people for whom money is no object (makes me sad for me).
    Of course, pricing for emerging technologies isn’t particularly relevant to what those things will cost a few years down the road. 

Not everyone will want it, but the possibility of an in-home IMAX-level viewing experience is interesting, especially when you can put the viewing device away in a drawer in a room that’s otherwise arranged for human interactions, rather than as a home cinema. Certainly a down-side of the advent of ever-bigger TVs is the necessity to arrange entire rooms to accommodate their use. 

Imagine watching a movie with the family, and when it’s over, removing the viewing devices to find everyone in comfortable seats around the den, facing one another to facilitate conversation about what you just watched. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    What's all this "since 2022" as if it's a long time?  2022 is as little as 6 months and at most 17 months ago.  That's not a long time, I'd say it is a pretty reasonable and respectable time to go from manufacturer promoting it as a new high tech component, to it starting to appear in significant volume consumer devices.
    ronnthtFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,891member
    So is this the fruit of the development plan that has been in place since 2011 when Steve Jobs reported that he had TV cracked? Think this project has been in development since Steve’s days 
    I haven’t seen any evidence of that nor even heard it suggested. During Gruber’s stage interview with the project’s chief, the guy said he’s had to keep this secret for 8 years. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Highly doubt it.  None of the context matches up.  
    watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 13 of 17
    JP234 said:
    AppleZulu said:
    JP234 said:
    MicroLED display. So Sony showed this tech ALL THE WAY BACK IN 2022? I see that Samsung is also currently selling MicroLED TV's starting at $74,999. Good bet that the extra $500 (over the $2,999 pre-release estimates) was due to this nascent and expensive tech. Possibly more.

Once again, the "death knell for traditional TV sets" trope comes up in an Appleinsider article. There is no way headsets that cost well over $4,000-5,000 EACH (with sales tax, AppleCare+, and options like vision corrective lenses or memory upgrades) are going to replace a TV set that multiple people can watch at the same time. It would cost a family of four at least $15,000. You can get a really, really nice, giant TV set for way less. The Sony BRAVIA XR 77” OLED 4K TV sells for $3,499. Not big enough for ya? Samsung has an 85" Neo QLED 8K TV for $3,999.

The only people I see replacing their TVs with goggles are loners with no friends or family in the real world (makes me sad for them). Or people for whom money is no object (makes me sad for me).
    Of course, pricing for emerging technologies isn’t particularly relevant to what those things will cost a few years down the road. 

Not everyone will want it, but the possibility of an in-home IMAX-level viewing experience is interesting, especially when you can put the viewing device away in a drawer in a room that’s otherwise arranged for human interactions, rather than as a home cinema. Certainly a down-side of the advent of ever-bigger TVs is the necessity to arrange entire rooms to accommodate their use. 

Imagine watching a movie with the family, and when it’s over, removing the viewing devices to find everyone in comfortable seats around the den, facing one another to facilitate conversation about what you just watched. 
    Imagine trying to get your kids to take them off and talk to you. You have a better chance of winning Powerball…
    As per Apple's demo, if someone approaches the headset wearer then they become visible in the VR environment and the user can interact with them. No need to take the goggles off.
    watto_cobraJP234ronn
  • Reply 14 of 17
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    You mean manufactured? Like design by Apple, made by Sony
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jfabula1 said:
    It was a design collaboration.  Sony wasn't just a manufacturer and Apple at the time didn't know how to make a laptop.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,568member
    jfabula1 said:
    No: designed. Apple gave them basic schematics, and Sony designed the laptop to match Apple’s requirements.