Apple Vision Pro will let you toss timers all over your kitchen while cooking

Posted:
in visionOS

The creator of a recipe app is developing a function for Apple Vision Pro that enables users to set timers and position them alongside their food in a virtual reality environment.

Setting timers in virtual reality
Setting timers in virtual reality

Apple released its visionOS SDK and developer tools on Wednesday that are included in the second beta for Xcode. Developers have already started tinkering and considering ways to incorporate their apps into virtual reality.

For example, Steve Troughton Smith found that it's possible to select a specific area within the headset's visual range and position any app in a way that gives the illusion of it being physically located on that surface. And that's what Devin, creator of the Crouton app, is doing.

Timer support underway, place timers next to the food so you know what's what! Handy when you've got a few things on the go

Should probably file feedback to get a toastie maker added to this kitchen pic.twitter.com/wGKFD3CHAt

-- Devin (@JustMeDevin)

In a tweet, he announced his ongoing efforts to incorporate timer-setting capabilities into the visionOS edition of his app, allowing users to place timers beside the food they are cooking conveniently. The feature aims to assist in tracking time and maintaining organization during the cooking process.

"Timer support underway, place timers next to the food so you know what's what!" he said. "Handy when you've got a few things on the go."

Apple's forthcoming visionOS system for its headset introduces a feature that lets users resize app windows and incorporate multiple apps within their visual field. This feature enables apps to remain fixed in their positions, seamlessly blending into the surrounding environment and creating an immersive experience.

Users can seamlessly switch between different apps without losing sight of their virtual surroundings. Apps remain anchored in place, as Devin shows with his upcoming timer functionality.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,743member
    This… is actually a pretty dang clever idea for headsets. 

Open your virtual cookbook, set your times, the headset sees the amount of food and can virtual weigh and calculate the amounts - perhaps calculate caloric value too? Now there’s a great use case. 

This won’t make me buy one. But if I had one, I’d definitely use it like this. 
    edited June 2023 applebynaturecoolfactorFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I don’t think cooking is one of the things I’d do while wearing a computer on my head.

To each his own, I guess.
    JP234williamlondonM68000grandact73jahblade
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,127member
    Shouldn't that be an "augmented reality environment"? The kitchen and food are real, not CG.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    So for only $3,499 you can buy a kitchen timer that will what, time your cooking? Our kitchen has the OXO Good Grips Digital Triple Kitchen Timer. It cost $19.99 at WalMart. We also have timers on our stove, our microwave, our air fryer and of course our Apple Watches. None of those cost extra. They came with the equipment.

I'm sure there are must have apps coming. This isn't one of them.
    Yeah, because everyone will be spending their $3.5k just for the timer. 
    ߙ䦬t;/div>
    edited June 2023 muthuk_vanalingamapplebynatureStrangeDaysFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrabestkeptsecret
  • Reply 5 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,232member

Open your virtual cookbook, set your times, the headset sees the amount of food and can virtual weigh and calculate the amounts - perhaps calculate caloric value too? Now there’s a great use case. 

It is an interesting use, but practical I'm not sure of.

Between kitchen heat and the stream or oils from cooking, and of course heat building in the headset itself with the higher kitchen temps,  it does not seem like a good match for that activity.  Once the product is released I've no doubt reviews will come in quickly. and show how practical it really is. It might be surprisingly useful. 

FWIW, it's a really simple process now to verbally set multiple named timers in order to keep track of everything cooking, baking, or marinating in my kitchen. 
    edited June 2023 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 16
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,424member
    You don't need them if you have Apple Watch. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Novel POC... visual stickie timers... the new fart app.  Taking this concept much further.... assistant cooking apps would be awesome.  Helps you cook.  Walks you through the process which knows what your cooking, sees the food and can help you know when its done or needs a stir.   Assisted learning experiences will be extremely popular.   Learning the guitar it can show you where to put your fingers on your physical guitar.   Visual tuning.  cool stuff.   Again... early days but tons of potential.  
    williamlondonStrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 8 of 16
    JP234 said:
    So for only $3,499 you can buy a kitchen timer that will what, time your cooking? Our kitchen has the OXO Good Grips Digital Triple Kitchen Timer. It cost $19.99 at WalMart. We also have timers on our stove, our microwave, our air fryer and of course our Apple Watches. None of those cost extra. They came with the equipment.

Because *that's* the entire point of this demo.
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 9 of 16
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 101member
    "Never ask me for anything ever again." - Tim Cook
    williamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Brave new world.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 16
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,248member
    I don’t think cooking is one of the things I’d do while wearing a computer on my head.

To each his own, I guess.

The Apple Vision Pro is about looking forward to how things will be, not to how things were in the past. Can't judge it based on the past.

@AppleInsider — This is "augmented" reality, not virtual reality. Virtual reality is where the entire environment is fabricated and has nothing to do with the real world.

lolliverFileMakerFellerwatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 12 of 16
    gatorguy said:

It is an interesting use, but practical I'm not sure of.

Between kitchen heat and the stream or oils from cooking, and of course heat building in the headset itself with the higher kitchen temps,  it does not seem like a good match for that activity.  Once the product is released I've no doubt reviews will come in quickly. and show how practical it really is. It might be surprisingly useful. 

FWIW, it's a really simple process now to verbally set multiple named timers in order to keep track of everything cooking, baking, or marinating in my kitchen. 
    "Truly, we live in a time of wonders"
        -- Craig Federighi
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,815member
    JP234 said:

You are a very short sighted person. smh
    tmaywilliamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 16
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Ain't no way I'm strapping at $3500 headset to my face while I'm working with knives, food and ovens.  Double no way for such a tiny benefit.  Such an obvious no. 
    edited June 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,815member
    JP234 said:
    macxpress said:
    JP234 said:

You are a very short sighted person. smh
    Well, thanks for not calling me a moron just because you disagree. If you think this is a "must have" app, enjoy your augmented kitchen. Don't cut yourself.
    I'm not in the business of calling someone a fuckin idiot. I just think there's more to this than meets the eye. You know I like to compare all of this to other products where Apple first entered a space and it's all very similar. It's just so different people put it down saying it's not useful, it's dumb, overpriced, etc. In the end though Apple has typically prevailed and others followed suit, even if they were already in the space. Apple shifted that market in a way nobody else could and everyone followed suit as best they could. This is what I mean by you're very short sighted. It'll be a while before you see, but I think in the end you will see. 
    williamlondonihatescreennames