Apple Vision Pro -- What came before, what will come after, and when

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

It's not hard to see the future of what the Apple Vision Pro started. Here's what's been said so far, and what we think is going to happen -- and when.

Apple Vision Pro
Apple Vision Pro

Apple announced the Apple Vision Pro headset at WWDC, after three years of rumors and buildup about what to expect. There were early rumors like Apple Glass that suggested that Apple was working on digital Wayfarers.

And, there was a very good leak about it in 2022 that detailed the general form factor of the device. It was amazingly close, as rumors go.

Credit: The Information
Credit: The Information

And, of course, the renders started. Some were close, some weren't.

But that's okay. That's the nature of the rumor game.

AppleInsider render built from Apple Vision Pro rumors
AppleInsider render built from Apple Vision Pro rumors

We're in a strange point where we think that most of the rumors surrounding Apple Vision and Apple Glass are true, in parallel.

Apple has the money and resources to do more than one thing at a time

The Apple Vision Pro was said to be called "surfboard" as a code-name internally. The rumors along the way said that Apple was working on not just "surfboard" but another product called "starboard" as well.

What the rumor mill is guessing 'Apple Glass' will look like
What the rumor mill is guessing 'Apple Glass' will look like

Apple itself has always seen the long game, and can work and refactor products for the future. The premature Newton ultimately spawned the iPhone albeit in a rambling route from here to there. The iPhone clearly and directly begat the iPad and the App Store. The App Store feeds the economic engine that is Apple.

The iPhone, ARKit, and Apple's decade-long work on Spatial Audio led directly to the tech in Apple Vision Pro.

It's also not hard to draw a line from Apple Vision Pro to the Apple Car. CarPlay was just the start of Apple's ambitions in the sector.

"Apple Car" windscreen could display a great deal of information directly where the driver is looking

There have been so many patents published over the last decade about how Apple intends on using AR to enhance the car experience.

Apple Vision Pro is a start, and is clearly not for everyone

As much as we hate to say it, we see the Apple Vision Pro as a developer's kit that will ultimately be available at retail -- and it won't be for everybody. That $3499 starting price makes it obvious enough that it isn't yet for Ma and Pa America, yet.

It is intended at launch, as an aspirational product, bringing all the technologies Apple can muster in 2023 to bear, in a single product.

And, it will use that aspirational product to convince a wide consumer base, loaded with non-techies, that they want to be involved and buy in like they have for the iPhone. This is something that the other headset manufacturers have failed to do, so far.

There is some evidence that it is already shifting consumer mindset. If the tools that monitor search trends can be believed, there has been a four-fold increase in Google searches for terms surrounding augmented reality and virtual reality since WWDC.

And, that increase in search traffic for related terms has been linear since then. We'll see where it plateaus with the fullness of time. Apple's impact on the number of people searching for information on the topic is unmistakable, though.

Technology marches on, and so will Apple Vision

Apple didn't stop development on AR hardware when it debuted the Apple Vision Pro. The next steps are smaller, faster, less expensive, and in parallel, better.

To that end, Apple uses "Pro" for a reason. Contrary to public opinion at times, it does not mean that you need this particular Pro-labeled product to make money. All it means is "this is the high end."

Every Pro product has been the higher end of what Apple could churn out for that particular product line.

Regardless that the Apple Vision Pro is the first of its name, we think that "Pro" means the same here. We think that Apple Vision Pro will be followed up by Apple Vision not-pro, and perhaps an Apple Vision Air at some point in the future, if the branding follows through.

Apple is almost never first, and Apple Vision Pro is no exception

Ignoring that Apple Vision Pro is a herald of other things to come, it is a short-term warning shot to other headset manufacturers, the same way that the iPhone was that shot to BlackBerry. It is the same as the iPad was to Microsoft's tablet initiative that had been going on for five years in 2010.

If the rumor mill is correct, we're guessing 2025 for the "starboard" project. We suspect that this is the "Apple Glass" Wayfarers-like product that has been swirling in the rumor well since nearly the beginning.

The software will only get better. Apple will migrate all of its own apps. It will do it slowly at first to figure out what gets traction, but they will all come to the platform, eventually.

And, independent developers will get their say. Ultimately, the killer app will be developed by somebody hammering away now on their keyboard with the API that was just released

Safari running in windowed mode in visionOS is just the start
Safari running in windowed mode in visionOS is just the start

Early Apple Vision pro software will be rough, like it was on the iPhone when developers got their crack at it. By the time the iPad came out, though, developers and Apple figured out what made a good app.

By the time the Apple Vision non-pro ships in 2025 or so, we expect the same refinement to have already happened.

We're excited to see what those developers bring. Apple probably is too.

As the old saying goes, you need to walk before you can run. Apple has launched into a market letting others walk, so it can run in 2024 when the hardware ships in volume to consumers.

And in around 2025, it will be sprinting, fueled by the developer community that got its first real glance at what the platform is capable of in its infant form on Wednesday.

Read on AppleInsider

FileMakerFellerh4y3s

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Apple Vision hardware and software need TSMC 3nm to come to its own. The TSMC 3nm cycle is going to be 4 to 5 years. If an M3 has hardware raytracing, 32 GB of RAM, be able to drive 30m pixels at 120 Hz, and an R2 will be fast enough to process everything at 120 Hz, it really should give you that last 10% that the current VisionPro doesn't. So, a version 3, 4 of the product is where it really hits the mass market. That's 2026.

This Starboard project is a miniaturization of the HoloLens into an eyeglasses form factor, right? So there needs to be a semi transparent lens that both lets light through it and be able show AR objects through them? Or will it be a VisionPro in an eyeglasses form factor?
    watto_cobrawilliamhbadmonk
  • Reply 2 of 13
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    I think the timeline might be a little generous if it's real. We're (almost) done with 2023 in engineering milestone terms for that product, and would soon be finalizing design, getting quotes, followed by prototyping and modifying the design. The software would be following a parallel path. The finished product is going to be a few years off.  Too bad, as this product, similar as it would/will be to Google Glass but Apple done right, is the one that will sell in the many millions.
    edited June 2023 watto_cobrawilliamhFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 13
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Thanks Mike for the great article and highlighting the use of the word “Pro” in the product.  I think the Pro designation speaks volumes about how Apple seees the product going forward.  I do think the product line is going to be successful over time (like the iPhone and Apple Watch) and unfortunately highly addictive.  I personally want to try it but as a generation X member, I worry about the social isolation of the users.  I think social isolation is going to become a major health issue going forward especially it’s risk among young males and this product will be targeted as an issue.
    FileMakerFellerh4y3s
  • Reply 4 of 13
    XedXed Posts: 2,574member
    tht said:
    Apple Vision hardware and software need TSMC 3nm to come to its own. The TSMC 3nm cycle is going to be 4 to 5 years. If an M3 has hardware raytracing, 32 GB of RAM, be able to drive 30m pixels at 120 Hz, and an R2 will be fast enough to process everything at 120 Hz, it really should give you that last 10% that the current VisionPro doesn't. So, a version 3, 4 of the product is where it really hits the mass market. That's 2026.

This Starboard project is a miniaturization of the HoloLens into an eyeglasses form factor, right? So there needs to be a semi transparent lens that both lets light through it and be able show AR objects through them? Or will it be a VisionPro in an eyeglasses form factor?
    I agree with what you wrote except for your stated timeline. With Apple Vision Pro not hitting the market until 2024 I don't expect version 2 to be released any sooner than for the holidays in 2025, which means we may barely see a version 3 for the holidays 2026; but I'd wager that the HW refresh will not be annual for this product, which means we'll only be at version 2 in 2026.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 13
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Xed said:
    tht said:

I agree with what you wrote except for your stated timeline. With Apple Vision Pro not hitting the market until 2024 I don't expect version 2 to be released any sooner than for the holidays in 2025, which means we may barely see a version 3 for the holidays 2026; but I'd wager that the HW refresh will not be annual for this product, which means we'll only be at version 2 in 2026.
    I could see that, but it depends on how much drive they have for the platform. Currently looks like it is lot. So,

2024 Mar: Vision Pro 1 ships
    2025 Oct: Vision Pro 2 and Vision 1 ships with M3 and R2 (this is late in the M3 cycle)
    2026 Oct: Vision Pro 3 and Vision 2 ships with M4 and R3 (this is early in the M4 cycle)

This timeline gives them 2 years to get the microOLED supply chain sorted out. It's probably the one thing that prevents them from even contemplating a lower price for awhile. It's still possible for them to do a Vision Pro 2 in October of 2024 imo. M3/R2 chips would be available, they just need to get the microOLED supply chain in order, but rumors make this sound unlikely.

I think the cheaper non-Pro Vision product has all the same features as the 2024 Vision Pro: all the cameras, the microOLEDs. Mass production will drive the cost of components down to get to $1500 to $2000. The Vision Pro models will have more capable cameras, more sensors, more RAM, more storage, etc. I'm curious if they will add say cameras that can have 10x optical zoom, LiDAR with 5x to 10x the range, or crazy things like IR/UV cameras. A 5G modem will hopefully be an option.

It seems that the "wearable" part of the hardware still needs a lot of work. The light seal needs to both prevent light from leaking in and be comfortable (weight, breathability). Two opposing things. I think for the first models it really needs to have top strap going from the forehead to the back-strap to at least reduce the weight on the wearer's cheek bones. The light seal also has to be both pliant enough to be comfortable and stiff enough so that the displays are always a certain location in front the eyes. Seems inevitable that any "Made-for-Vision" light seals and straps will have to pass Apple's requirements for this.

The later models will presumably be lighter, making it easier to wear.
    FileMakerFellerh4y3sDoctorQ
  • Reply 6 of 13
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Unlike the iPod, iPhone, watch, and apple silicon transition, I’m not a fan of the headset. 

But it will be interesting to see what they do from here. 

Hopefully they push the Mac just as hard. No need to let it lag (*cough*Mac Pro*cough*) when there is plenty of envelope to push there. 

I’m all for apple really trying with the headset - so long as they don’t lag future mac development in order to artificially prop up the headset. 

• Reply 7 of 13
    tuckerjjtuckerjj Posts: 35member
    The Vision is very much the equivalent of a desktop computer (no Apple Maps, fitness apps, no cellular/GPS hardware etc.) likely because the risk of the device crashing/losing power resulting in blind user and a literal crash is too high. Perhaps once the glasses exist, which will presumably have actual pass-through rather than via cameras, this functionality will be added resulting in a more mobile, laptop/iPhone like experience.
    williamlondonh4y3s
  • Reply 8 of 13
    tuckerjj said:
    The Vision is very much the equivalent of a desktop computer (no Apple Maps, fitness apps, no cellular/GPS hardware etc.) likely because the risk of the device crashing/losing power resulting in blind user and a literal crash is too high. Perhaps once the glasses exist, which will presumably have actual pass-through rather than via cameras, this functionality will be added resulting in a more mobile, laptop/iPhone like experience.
    Apple Maps has been on macOS for a decade now since OS X Mavericks.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 13
    h4y3sh4y3s Posts: 83member
    NonPro version is begging to be called "iGlasses"

williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 13
    h4y3s said:
    NonPro version is begging to be called "iGlasses"

No it won't. Apple hasn't been using new 'I'-names for a long time now.
    williamlondonradarthekat
  • Reply 11 of 13
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    tuckerjj said:
    Simple to deal with this issue.  Just force the environment to intrude on the user's view whenever the cameras pick up something that the user may bump into or that is coming at the user.  Simple in concept, anyway. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    tuckerjj said:
    Simple to deal with this issue.  Just force the environment to intrude on the user's view whenever the cameras pick up something that the user may bump into or that is coming at the user.  Simple in concept, anyway. 
    Systems that are designed to take safety into consideration are designed so that the failed state is the safe state.
    tuckerjj
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Xed said:
    tuckerjj said:
    Apple Maps has been on macOS for a decade now since OS X Mavericks.
    Good point. What I meant was that Apple seem to be very intentionally keeping off apps and hardware features that could encourage people to move around significantly whilst wearing it, especially outside the home/workplace. That Vision OS doesn’t have maps would seem to support this. 

MacOS has maps but no live turn-by-turn directions. I can imagine that Apple might add maps to the Vision Pro but also without live directions. Until there’s a version of the Vision that is failsafe (i.e. it crashes or loses power but the user can still see) it’s just too risky to encourage use of it in a mobile context.

Once they do come up with a solution for this though, that’s when the Vision will get really interesting, like the iPhone was a transformative leap forward in personal computing, enabling many more use cases when compared to the Mac.