Reddit client Apollo is shutting down on July 1st -- please decline your refund

Posted:
in General Discussion

Reddit has forced third-party clients like Apollo to shut down due to exorbitant fees, and please refuse the subscription refund to help keep your favorite developers afloat.

Decline your Apollo refund
Decline your Apollo refund

Like with what happened to third-party Twitter clients, Reddit clients are being forced to shut down with almost zero notice. However, that leaves developers like Christian Selig holding the bill.

Most people who used Apollo likely had some kind of subscription for the app. These subscriptions will automatically be refunded for the prorated amount after July 1, costing the Apollo developer around $250k out of pocket.

Many users may have already uninstalled Apollo, but it needs to be reinstalled to decline the refund. Be sure to check any third-party Reddit client you've used for refund details, too, as this mass refund will affect them all.

Selig's Apollo always stood out because of his many icon options. These icons were created by artists he commissioned for the work.

As a final farewell, Selig has organized a final "Goodbye Apollo Wallpaper Set" with over 20 wallpapers, unlocked with an in-app donation.

Also, this update includes a really amazing "Goodbye Apollo Wallpaper Set". Over 20 wallpapers by outrageously talented designers, available for phone, tablet, and desktop. You can unlock the pack with a donation that helps with refund costs.

(Paid designers, zero AI art!) pic.twitter.com/WcF8qtNdaN

-- Christian Selig (@ChristianSelig)

This terrible chain of events for Apollo, other third-party Reddit Clients, and, previously, all third-party Twitter clients could have been avoided. Greedy corporations that don't seek a middle ground for monetization from their most prominent users attacked these private entities as threats and killed them without mercy.

We, as Apollo users, with several at AppleInsider, urge our readers to decline the refund. If there's any money to spare, we ask you also to purchase the wallpaper pack to help soften this blow.

Every declined refund helps, and act quickly because automatic refunds will begin shortly after Apollo closes on July 1. Selig also teased another project is on the horizon, so stay tuned for that, and for now, check out his other app called Pixel Pals.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Why should anyone decline a refund for a service they paid for is being shut down? This developer is a great person but Apollo isn't a charity although at times he gives IAPs to charity nothing indicates that declining a refund would go to a charitable cause. He's made a lot of money, I mean a lot of money over the years and knew the risk building a business off another business and that risk finally materialized like it always does. 
    mike1Joe_KflydogdewmehmurchisonGraeme000antiprotestwilliamlondonlolliverJaiOh81
  • Reply 2 of 28
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,286member
    Why should anyone decline a refund for a service they paid for is being shut down? This developer is a great person but Apollo isn't a charity although at times he gives IAPs to charity nothing indicates that declining a refund would go to a charitable cause. He's made a lot of money, I mean a lot of money over the years and knew the risk building a business off another business and that risk finally materialized like it always does. 

This situation is not the developer's fault. Did they fail to prepare for such an event? Yes. Should they be financially punished? No.

Alex1NtwokatmewdavwilliamlondonBiCradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 214member, administrator, moderator, editor
    Because the annual subscription was something like $25. Anyone who paid it doesn't miss that money, but owing Apple $250,000 in prorated refunds will certainly hurt. He's done ok, but don't overestimate what a developer makes just because they run a popular app. These people aren't millionaires.

It's your choice to not get refunded of course. But we all agree that declining the refund is the respectable thing to do.
    Alex1NronntwokatmewdavwilliamlondonStrangeDaysJaiOh81radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28

It's your choice to not get refunded of course. But we all agree that declining the refund is the respectable thing to do.
    No, Not WE all. You do, obviously, but many others, do not. As evidenced already in the few comments posted thus far.
    Joe_KbeowulfschmidtdewmechutzpahGraeme000antiprotestwilliamlondonmikethemartianlolliverJaiOh81
  • Reply 5 of 28
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,683member
    I dropped reddit because it was a reminder that I wasted too much time there.  

But I'm reminded of Homer complaining the free cookie samples got him addicted and actual cookies cost money cause they "jacked up the price".

Benefit from something for free and then complain when it goes away?   Right.   That's what leeches do.

I never used the app either.   
    beowulfschmidtdewmewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    I’m not a subscriber, so I gave a tip (in the settings within the app).
    ronntwokatmewdavwilliamlondonradarthekat
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 214member, administrator, moderator, editor
    This is a reminder that there are rules to using these forums. Don't post content that doesn't add to the conversation or seeks to antagonize the writer or forum members. You can disagree with the content of an article but do so with reason. Stating "This doesn't belong here" or "This is pathetic" is grounds for a strike and eventual ban.

Be nice, be courteous, and remember, we're here to talk about Apple and tech and to have fun! We're not going to tolerate having these forums become another hateful cesspool of the internet.

Thank you!
    ronntwokatmewdewmedavwilliamlondonroundaboutnowlolliverradarthekatpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,404member
    He's made a lot of money, I mean a lot of money over the years and knew the risk building a business off another business and that risk finally materialized like it always does. 
    A. Probably a lot less than you imagine. Developing apps COSTS money, you know, in terms of both support and upkeep, and Selig updated his a lot.

B. Nearly all businesses are built off of another business. Do you think McDonald’s  raises its own cattle and grows its own potatoes?
    ronnWesley Hilliardtwokatmewdavwilliamlondonroundaboutnowradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,129member
    Because the annual subscription was something like $25. Anyone who paid it doesn't miss that money, but owing Apple $250,000 in prorated refunds will certainly hurt. He's done ok, but don't overestimate what a developer makes just because they run a popular app. These people aren't millionaires.

He's done "ok" ????    He collected millions of dollars a year.  
    antiprotestwilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 28
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,129member
    chasm said:
    He's made a lot of money, I mean a lot of money over the years and knew the risk building a business off another business and that risk finally materialized like it always does. 
    A. Probably a lot less than you imagine. Developing apps COSTS money, you know, in terms of both support and upkeep, and Selig updated his a lot.

B. Nearly all businesses are built off of another business. Do you think McDonald’s  raises its own cattle and grows its own potatoes?
    McDonald's pays for beef and potatoes. Selig paid Reddit nothing. 
    beowulfschmidtdewmeITGUYINSDwilliamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 11 of 28
    flydog said:
    He's done "ok" ????    He collected millions of dollars a year.  
    I'm fairly certain that's a made-up number. lol

It would cost him over $20 million a year to continue operating his app. He might have been bringing home a decent income, sure. But let's not make up numbers to make your point sound more dramatic.

Like most developers in his position, he likely makes enough to have development be his only job, pay his bills, care for his family, and have some leftovers for savings. He's not living in a mansion in California.

Don't forget Apple's 15% or 30% too. Apple gets theirs.

It's Reddit's fault it wasn't monetizing its API before. It's also Reddit's fault they didn't come up with a sensible plan to monetize users and its API now. Instead, it's looking to kick out its most passionate users because it'll get bought by Google or something after an IPO, and the CEO will get to retire.
    twokatmewdavwilliamlondonradarthekatmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,081member

https://stackstashers.com/christian-selig-net-worth/

He might not be doing so well that he can afford to pay what Reddit is asking, but it appears that he can surely afford to refund the $250,000 that he got from people that aren't going to be getting what they already paid him for. Evidently, he doesn't fall into this category of  ....... "These people aren't millionaires". 

The respectable thing to do is to offer a refund, without crying about not being able to afford it.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 28
    ciacia Posts: 262member
    Wow lots of jerks here.  
    twokatmewspunkmeyerITGUYINSDdavwilliamlondonradarthekatpscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 28
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    davidw said:

He might not be doing so well that he can afford to pay what Reddit is asking, but it appears that he can surely afford to refund the $250,000 that he got from people that aren't going to be getting what they already paid him for. Evidently, he doesn't fall into this category of  ....... "These people aren't millionaires". 

The respectable thing to do is to offer a refund, without crying about not being able to afford it.  
    Maybe let’s not rely on an internet site called “stack stashers” as an accurate estimate of an app developer’s wealth?
    davwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 28
    davidw said:

I’m not sure where this random website gets its information, looks made up based on speculation.

Regardless, that doesn’t mean he has $250k to flush down the drain while losing his main source of income simultaneously. He got a raw deal and we’re discussing giving him $5, not $500.

If you don’t want to participate, great. It’s your choice. But don’t be mean about not participating like it’s some kind of victory. It makes you look heartless.

There is actually a nice way of saying “no thanks.” But I’m honestly not sure why you're commenting at all if you’re just being negative about the entire concept.

Comments like these make me sad for humanity.
    Meteordavspunkmeyerwilliamlondonradarthekatmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Wow, the Apple user community has definitely changed from the old days.
    davzeus423radarthekat
  • Reply 17 of 28
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,378member
    DT36MT said:
    People who disagree are neither jerks or disrespectful. They are entitled to their opinion. If someone don't like the opinion expressed by some, they can state their point.
    Disagree, they can (and obviously) are both, as evidenced in this thread by the MacRumors-style crowd.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    "Please decline your refund"   LOL.. Not a chance in hell.  Those that pay actual money for something they don't receive are not very bright individuals.

Its an APP people.... In APP... lets try to remember what is actually important in this crazy world we live in.

williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 28
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,770member

This situation is not the developer's fault. Did they fail to prepare for such an event? Yes. Should they be financially punished? No.

The situation is not the users fault either. Why should we be the ones that get financially punished?
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Reddit is well aware of how the App Store works. They sell their own subscriptions. They could've avoided this disaster by giving enough notice to developers. But instead chose to drop a financial bomb. I get a lot of value out of the communities I participate in on Reddit. But this is yet another example of social media corporate overreach that plays out over and over again. Time to phase Reddit out too....
    radarthekatMeteor