Apple is the world's biggest company at $3 trillion -- again

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    What I find interesting is that Tim Cook, a few years back, indicated that he felt Apple ultimately wouldn’t be remembered for the iPhone but instead for contributions in the health field.  That’s a very significant statement given that the iPhone is by a wide margin the most significant and profitable single product of mankind.  So now where does the stock price ultimately go if Tim’s prediction plays out.  
    Not in the medical field but I work at a healthcare institution, first time in my career I've done so.

There is an absolute s-ton of money in this business if you can get your hands in the right pots of cash. The profits to be made from Services isn't the under-reported Apple story any longer; it's the profits to be made in healthcare.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 22 of 49
    danox said:
    Without the continued patronage of Japan and China as customers, Apple won’t be making it to $4 trillion dollars, the EU is currently waging war on the other front, and India is a long term project, anyone who could afford Apple equipment in India, has already bought it, Apple is at least the decade away from getting the same type of sales in India as they currently get in China and Japan.

In the EU, the bureaucrats are doing all they can to make regional Apple devices a reality. Tim Cook probably really is the best CEO in the world to navigate through all the headwinds most of which are put up by the various governments around the world, notice Apple customers are happy, but no one in government cares about them not really……
    wow, sounds like Apple is screwed. You should definitely short AAPL.
    chasmMacProFileMakerFellerpscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Mondain said:
    $3T is quite an obscene amount of money. This is equivalent to the GDP of all Latin American countries.

Eventually, we must draw a line between what one has and how much it is deserved. 
    yes, that has been tried. It was called "communism" and so far it has not worked out very well anywhere for the people it was supposed to help the most.
    edited June 2023 williamlondonMacProFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 24 of 49
    doggonedoggone Posts: 396member
    for years I had a number in mind. At that price, my AAPL shares would be worth $2 million.

I happened to be looking at the Stocks app when it hit that number this past week. Got a screen shot of it and also of the calculator showing the exact worth of my shares at that price. It closed above that and has stayed above it. It's in my retirement account... but one of the few silver linings of being in my late 50s is that in about 15 months I can start drawing on it - if I wish - without early withdrawal penalty. It's not my only significant asset but it's been key to my financial security for years: knowing that my retirement is secured has freed up my work and investment income for other useful purposes. I've got an amazing job I love at a world-class institution that I will never lose so long as I don't do either of two things that are very easy to not do. I'm pretty much set for life thanks to a very modest investment I made in AAPL 23 years ago.

It happened to be an outstanding day for me for other reasons, such as the intel fed to me about the latest laughably bad life choices my clueless, triumphant ex is making. It seems a couple of her friends whom she mistakenly trusts too much share my disappointment in her and are eager to spill the T for their own reasons.

I'll remember 6/27/23 for quite a while.

Next stop, $3 million. Thanks Steve. Thanks Tim.
    We hold nearly the same number of shares, but mine I acquired 12 years ago.  After a couple big splits and selling 60% of my shares to take positions in Tesla, IBM, NVidia and Regeneron, I have 12,000 shares remaining.  
    Similar situation for me. In my case I used a rollover check of around 10K and ended up putting it all in to AAPL. That was in the early 2000s and it has grown in excess of 1MM. Really saved my bacon when it comes down to my retirement. Now I have diversified a bit so only hold 550k. But still grateful to Apple for securing my retirement.  Whatever you say about Tim Cook he is a superb manager of Apple’s business.  I remember the days when you would have to wait for months for a product to ship.  Now Apple rarely have any hiccups. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 25 of 49
    MacPro said:
    eriamjh said:
    $4T in/by FY 2025 is crazy, but not unattainable.    

Vision Pro may help.   It may not.   M hoping it does.   2024 could be crazy.   

I agree.  I suspect the Vision Pro is just the start of a new multi-$B leg to the stool that is Apple.  Those VisionPro headsets will be being auctioned off in unopened boxes in 25 years for millions, as examples of how it all began.
    A foldable iPhone will propel AAPL to 4T. 
    LOL. Why on Earth do I need a foldable iPhone? It is a gimmick. Do you work for Samsung? Because only those people could possibly think they could gimmick their way to success.
    9secondkox2williamlondonronnaccsmobipscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,221member
    Saudi Aramco is $7.8T
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 49
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,496member
    saarek said:
    Just in time for them to hike iCould rates in multiple countries by about a third.

Their greed knows no bounds.
    1. It went up by 20 percent, not a third. If you’re this bad at basic math, I cannot imagine why a story about financials would draw a comment from you.

2. These are adjustments to cover currency fluctuations, not punitive price increases. The UK got hit pretty hard because it committed financial suicide a few years back, and that very dumb decision is coming back to bite them. Apple doesn’t micro-adjust prices, it makes broad moves for where it predicts the currency will go going forward. Bad news for the countries affected.

3. Their valuation isn’t set by them, its the consensus worth of the company and its assets and prospects set by investors and the financial community. It’s not the amount of money they have, nor an indication of “greed.”

You really should not have slept through those college courses on economics. This is very very basic stuff you don’t appear to know.
    williamlondonXedFileMakerFellerAlex_VaccsmobimacxpressRudeBoyRudytmaypscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 49
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,007member
    If the stock market was weighed on actual company performance and value instead of manipulated by who sells what and fake news, Apple would have been the richest company since the first time they reached that status and never would have lost it. 

Truly impressive for any company to be what Apple has become. Not only that, but to have such forward momentum that isn’t volatile, but built on consistent honest principles, it isn’t slowing down, but almost just getting started. 
    cg27FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 29 of 49
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,903member
    I'm always reminded of this whenever I see Apple breaking new barriers as a company:

edited June 2023 ronnStrangeDays
  • Reply 30 of 49
    XedXed Posts: 2,806member
  • Reply 31 of 49
    macxpress said:
    I'm always reminded of this whenever I see Apple breaking new barriers as a company:

Honestly, for someone like Dell it would've been the right thing to do since Apple would never have survived under him, so him saying what he'd do is perfectly valid.
    FileMakerFellerronnpscooter63macxpresssconosciuto
  • Reply 32 of 49
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    chasm said:
    saarek said:
    Just in time for them to hike iCould rates in multiple countries by about a third.

1. It went up by 20 percent, not a third. If you’re this bad at basic math, I cannot imagine why a story about financials would draw a comment from you.

2. These are adjustments to cover currency fluctuations, not punitive price increases. The UK got hit pretty hard because it committed financial suicide a few years back, and that very dumb decision is coming back to bite them. Apple doesn’t micro-adjust prices, it makes broad moves for where it predicts the currency will go going forward. Bad news for the countries affected.

3. Their valuation isn’t set by them, its the consensus worth of the company and its assets and prospects set by investors and the financial community. It’s not the amount of money they have, nor an indication of “greed.”

You really should not have slept through those college courses on economics. This is very very basic stuff you don’t appear to know.
    1 - 2: Ah bless you. Calling out someone’s mathematics ability without having your own basic sums in place. The increase was 25-31%, dependent on the plan and country in question. Ergo the “about a third” comment. 

Apple priced in the lower sterling to dollar ratio after Brexit, it’s held steady around $1.28 to the £ for months now so this has nothing to do with currency fluctuations, expected or otherwise.

3: I never claimed that Apple controlled their valuation, do keep up dear. No, what I said was that the valuation announcement ironically coincided with their price gouging, aka greed, over iCloud.

Hopefully it’s all cleared up for you now. I know that sometimes it can be hard to read a negative comment about Apple.

williamlondonpscooter63
  • Reply 33 of 49
    saarek said:
    chasm said:
    saarek said:

1 - 2: Ah bless you. Calling out someone’s mathematics ability without having your own basic sums in place. The increase was 25-31%, dependent on the plan and country in question. Ergo the “about a third” comment. 

Apple priced in the lower sterling to dollar ratio after Brexit, it’s held steady around $1.28 to the £ for months now so this has nothing to do with currency fluctuations, expected or otherwise.

3: I never claimed that Apple controlled their valuation, do keep up dear. No, what I said was that the valuation announcement ironically coincided with their price gouging, aka greed, over iCloud.

Hopefully it’s all cleared up for you now. I know that sometimes it can be hard to read a negative comment about Apple.

Chasm laid it out nicely for you. But way to double down on your ignorance—that takes talent.
    williamlondonmacxpressRudeBoyRudyronnpscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 34 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    doggone said:
    for years I had a number in mind. At that price, my AAPL shares would be worth $2 million.

I happened to be looking at the Stocks app when it hit that number this past week. Got a screen shot of it and also of the calculator showing the exact worth of my shares at that price. It closed above that and has stayed above it. It's in my retirement account... but one of the few silver linings of being in my late 50s is that in about 15 months I can start drawing on it - if I wish - without early withdrawal penalty. It's not my only significant asset but it's been key to my financial security for years: knowing that my retirement is secured has freed up my work and investment income for other useful purposes. I've got an amazing job I love at a world-class institution that I will never lose so long as I don't do either of two things that are very easy to not do. I'm pretty much set for life thanks to a very modest investment I made in AAPL 23 years ago.

It happened to be an outstanding day for me for other reasons, such as the intel fed to me about the latest laughably bad life choices my clueless, triumphant ex is making. It seems a couple of her friends whom she mistakenly trusts too much share my disappointment in her and are eager to spill the T for their own reasons.

We hold nearly the same number of shares, but mine I acquired 12 years ago.  After a couple big splits and selling 60% of my shares to take positions in Tesla, IBM, NVidia and Regeneron, I have 12,000 shares remaining.  
    Similar situation for me. In my case I used a rollover check of around 10K and ended up putting it all in to AAPL. That was in the early 2000s and it has grown in excess of 1MM. Really saved my bacon when it comes down to my retirement. Now I have diversified a bit so only hold 550k. But still grateful to Apple for securing my retirement.  Whatever you say about Tim Cook he is a superb manager of Apple’s business.  I remember the days when you would have to wait for months for a product to ship.  Now Apple rarely have any hiccups. 
    Similar story here.  My early investment in Apple seems to be a 1:1 with Apple's worth , only mine in millions Apple in trillions, but it makes the math simple.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Thank you to all of the people at Apple:  The engineers, marketers, staff, and the leadership there.  I'm one of those that invested in 2010, and keep reinvesting the dividends, and I'm glad I did.

Like I said back in August, 2018:  The first trillion is the hardest.  Now to get to $4T, it's just a 33% rise.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,099member
    saarek said:
    Xed said:
    saarek said:

So at what point should a company lose money due to inflation so that you can be happy?
    You’re right, I’d not realised that inflation was running at 33%… oh wait, it isn’t. Perhaps that’s not it.

Maybe the currency has significantly weakened vs the dollar since the last price rise? No, actually, it’s improved.

Hmmm, so. Inflation is out. Currency fluctuation is out, what does that leave us? Oh, yes. Greed.
    Maybe you don't realize but Apple buys nearly all of the cloud storage that their customers uses, from Google and Amazon (and maybe still some from Microsoft.) Apple is only in the "cloud" service business mainly for the convenience of their own customers. Apple own servers farms are primarily for their own internal business uses. Like Apple TV+, iTunes, Apple Music, Arcade, Apple Pay, rolling out software updates, etc.. Because Apple have to pay Amazon and Google for iCloud storage, Apple can not be as cheap as what Google, Microsoft and Amazon charges their customers. So Apple also takes the hit when Google and Amazon raise their prices for cloud storage, due to their own rising cost. I can guarantee you that no AAPL investors are buying more AAPL because Apple must be making a killing, by raising the cost of iCloud storage (in certain countries.).   

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/06/29/apple-is-now-googles-largest-corporate-customer-for-cloud-storage

https://www.turningcloud.com/blog/apple-uses-aws/

List of the top 10 cloud service providers. Amazon, Microsoft and Google controls over 65% of the cloud service market. Apple don't even make the top ten, even with over 1.5B iPhones customers. 

https://dgtlinfra.com/top-10-cloud-service-providers-2022/

https://technologymagazine.com/top10/top-10-biggest-cloud-providers-in-the-world-in-2023

You need to start thinking outside the box. (Or as Apple put it .... think different). What is the one re-occurring cost in running a cloud server farm that have risen dramatically in Europe recently?  It's not the cost of the servers or taxes or the cost of labor, but the cost of electricity. And can you think of what recent event that might have caused the cost of electricity in Europe to almost double in some countries and at the least to increase by over 30% in most?

Here's a hint in case you want to use one of your "lifelines" ...... (from the game show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire"). 

https://cepr.org/voxeu/columns/impact-war-ukraine-energy-prices-consequences-firms-financial-performance

XedFileMakerFellerronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 49
    zonezone Posts: 74member
    I worked at Apple retail (before the iPhone) for a bit and saw the crazy number of customers buying products in a packed store all the time. I decided to purchase as much stock as I could while I was there (I did get a discount on shares) and max my 401k.

I was one of the first retail employees (part-time) back then and there were few full-time jobs (maybe just 1 or 2 managers can't remember) but that all changed as the stores expanded quickly and I was promoted to one of the first full-time positions at my store (not a manager). I know we were selling those colorful iMacs that looked like the little TV. Anyway long story short I have never sold and believed in Apple and now have a million plus in stock + my 401k.

I think about all the people I worked with who did not do this (I know some people are not happy with their choice) and who knows what they have but they don't have a million dollars +. Kind of a cool story for a retail person that worked at a mall! Probably doesn't happen all the time but I did have to have the guts to watch Apple get manipulated and blasted and everyone said you should sell (including my financial advisor). I always thought it was worth this and more. IMO Apple will hit 4 trillion soon and the vision will be a great success and venture into other areas we can't even think they will in the next decade or so. Maybe medical, renewable power tech, communications, Transportation/space exploration who knows? Could it go to 6-8 trillion, Maybe?

So the next time you're at an Apple store you might be talking to a millionaire employee. Have a great 4th from a former mall Apple retail employee who wants to thank all my coworkers who worked so hard to make this all happen. So many hard-working wonderful people who don't get much credit but keep this company succeeding. 
    RudeBoyRudypscooter63StrangeDayssconosciuto
  • Reply 38 of 49
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,242member
    zone said:
    I worked at Apple retail (before the iPhone) for a bit and saw the crazy number of customers buying products in a packed store all the time. I decided to purchase as much stock as I could while I was there (I did get a discount on shares) and max my 401k.

I was one of the first retail employees (part-time) back then and there were few full-time jobs (maybe just 1 or 2 managers can't remember) but that all changed as the stores expanded quickly and I was promoted to one of the first full-time positions at my store (not a manager). I know we were selling those colorful iMacs that looked like the little TV. Anyway long story short I have never sold and believed in Apple and now have a million plus in stock + my 401k.

I think about all the people I worked with who did not do this (I know some people are not happy with their choice) and who knows what they have but they don't have a million dollars +. Kind of a cool story for a retail person that worked at a mall! Probably doesn't happen all the time but I did have to have the guts to watch Apple get manipulated and blasted and everyone said you should sell (including my financial advisor). I always thought it was worth this and more. IMO Apple will hit 4 trillion soon and the vision will be a great success and venture into other areas we can't even think they will in the next decade or so. Maybe medical, renewable power tech, communications, Transportation/space exploration who knows? Could it go to 6-8 trillion, Maybe?

So the next time you're at an Apple store you might be talking to a millionaire employee. Have a great 4th from a former mall Apple retail employee who wants to thank all my coworkers who worked so hard to make this all happen. So many hard-working wonderful people who don't get much credit but keep this company succeeding. 

Congratulations keep adding to your Apple shares as time goes on that 1 million will become 5 million.
    FileMakerFellerzonesconosciuto
  • Reply 39 of 49
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,099member

But you are in a much more enviable tax situation. Because your AAPL investment is not locked in a tradition IRA (or an employers IRA), all your AAPL gains will be taxed at 0/15/20% (depending on the amount of your other incomes). While @sconosciuto AAPL holding will be taxed as ordinary income and most likely at 22% at the least. The difference is not that dramatic if one only cash in about $50K  of AAPL a year. But if you were to sell $2M of AAPL in one year, your Fed taxes would be all long term capital gains and be about $375K. (no more than $400K (at 20%) if you already have more than about $550K in ordinary income and don't fall under AMT.) 

On the other hand, if @sconosciuto were to withdraw $2M in AAPL (after he turns 59 1/2), he would pay about $670K in Fed taxes because all of it would be taxed as ordinary income (At 37% for the amount over $650K). Even if he invested in AAPL in an IRA, over 20 years ago. His original investment might have benefited from being tax deferred, but when a stock have risen as much as AAPL has in the past 20 years, the tax deferred savings becomes a rounding error. Plus all your AAPL dividend is also taxed as long term capital gains in the year you receive it, while the dividend from a stock in an IRA, is still taxed as ordinary income when withdrawn.

That said, an IRA (tradition, Roth or employers) is still the best  way for most, to save for retirement. I have an employers IRA and all the money I earned in it, is still stilling in there. This after turning 59 1/2 over 8 years ago. They say that one of the main selling point of a traditional IRA is that you get to withdraw your money at a lower tax rate when retired, than when it was earned. Well, that only works if your retirement income is dramatically less than your income when working. If I knew back then, what i know now, I would have invested most of the money I put in my employers IRA, into buying more AAPL in my stock portfolio. Those extra shares of AAPL would be worth much, much more than what my IRA is worth now. And will be taxed as long term capital gains. But hindsight is 20/20. Better to play it safe and just save for retirement, knowing that the money you save will be there when you retire. 
  • Reply 40 of 49
    accsmobiaccsmobi Posts: 10member
    Well ,let them become bigger. I used to not like big corpos (I still dont) ,but a big Apple wouldnt be necessarily bad for users . They ,I imagine can resist better to govt snooping around,asking for backdoors in iOS or iPhones . They can continue to make amazing products, and deliver on their promises of security and privacy .

of course,if they change their tune, I will be the first to abandon their products. But for now, there is no consistent evidence of that , and my 14 Pro Max is a joy to use.