Fatal helicopter crash likely caused by dropped iPad

Posted:
in iPad

The National Transportation Safety Board has found significant evidence that an iPad likely caused a fatal helicopter crash in Idaho in 2022.

Image Credit: National Transportation Safety Board
Image Credit: National Transportation Safety Board

In July 2022, a Boeing CH-47D had been filling its bucket on a long line in the Salmon River when it suddenly began spinning counter-clockwise. The helicopter then quickly descended and crashed into the river 13 seconds later.

Firefighters on scene managed to pull the pilot and co-pilot out of the wreckage, though both men later died from their injuries.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) hasn't released an official statement on the incident yet. However, according to Vertical Mag, the public docket for the crash shows that the agency has found significant evidence to show that a dropped iPad was likely the cause.

Investigators for the NTSB noted that the iPad had three distinct gouge marks and a bend from the back of the case toward the screen. In the course of the investigation, the likeliest scenario is it had been dropped and became wedged against the co-pilots left pedal adjustment lever.

The iPad would have prevented the pedals, used for commencing a yaw to the left, from re-centering. This in turn forced a counter-clockwise spin, that the pilot could not correct in time.

The iPad was considered an electronic flight bag (EFB) -- a kind of tool used by pilots and flight crews to perform flight management tasks more easily and efficiently. Their core purpose is to replace paper documentation, but they are also used for flight planning. The use of an iPad saves dozens of pounds per flight, per required kit.

Accidents such as this are an unfortunate reminder that simple mistakes can have deadly repercussions. Andy Evans, director of the aviation safety consultancy Aerossurance, told Vertical Mag that he hopes operators will learn from the incident.

"Hopefully this accident will prompt operators to have a long hard look at all possible loose articles in cockpits and robustly securing valuable tools and sources of situational awareness like EFBs."

In 2021, Delta Air Lines announced that it was working with AT&T and Apple to provide its pilots with an upgraded electronic flight bag, switching over to the 5G-equipped iPad Pro.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,135member
    This is irresponsible reporting. The headline and lede make it seem like this was somehow a failure on the part of the iPad itself. It was not.

Read on, and you'll understand that the issue was that, once dropped, the iPad became a wedged-in obstruction to flight control mechanisms. The same would've been the case if the dropped item had been a Microsoft Surface, or a paper notebook in a rigid binder. There is no fault in the hardware design or software operation of the iPad itself.
    rundhvidlollivermike1lam92103williamlondonforgot usernameAlex1Nwatto_cobra40domiPauloSeraa
  • Reply 2 of 29
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    AppleZulu said:
    This is irresponsible reporting. The headline and lede make it seem like this was somehow a failure on the part of the iPad itself. It was not.

Read on, and you'll understand that the issue was that, once dropped, the iPad became a wedged-in obstruction to flight control mechanisms. The same would've been the case if the dropped item had been a Microsoft Surface, or a paper notebook in a rigid binder. There is no fault in the hardware design or software operation of the iPad itself.
    The headline is 100% correct.  Nothing in the headline implies that it was a failure of an Apple product.  The headline couldn’t have been simpler and more correct. 

I’m as Rah Rah for Apple as the next guy but this sort of comment is funny and ridiculous at the same time.  Of course it could have been a MS Surface or a book or binder.   And the headline would have been “Fatal Helicopter Crash Likely Caused by Dropped Book”.  No one would think that the content or color of the book would have been related to the crash.  Why would you think a software error on a dropped iPad was the cause here?  It plainly states that the fact the iPad was dropped was a cause. 
    Xedslow n easyronnramanpfaffroundaboutnowgatorguywilliamlondonBiCCchasmmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 29
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    I'm with Chadbag on this.
    ronnwilliamlondonchasmAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamdarkvaderking editor the gratekillroyPauloSeraagrandact73
  • Reply 4 of 29
    I also wholeheartedly agree with Chadbag. The headline clearly states that the iPad dropped (fell), creating the conditions for the accident. 
    williamlondonchasmAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamdarkvaderking editor the gratekillroyPauloSeraagrandact73
  • Reply 5 of 29
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,500member
    I once had my cat sleep under my car’s brake pedal during a road trip 
    forgot usernameAlex1Ndarkvaderkillroy
  • Reply 6 of 29
    ciacia Posts: 267member
    To al those commenting, the headline was changed shortly after AppleZulu commented to what it currently reads.  Earlier the headline said something to the effect of "Helicopter crash caused by iPad".  Adding the word "dropped" changed the tone dramatically.
    edited July 2023 winstoner71williamlondonforgot usernameiqatedochasmAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraMplsPnapoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 7 of 29
    cia said:
    To al those commenting, the headline was changed shortly after AppleZulu commented to what it currently reads.  Earlier the headline said something to the effect of "Helicopter crash caused by iPad".  Adding the word "dropped" changed the tone dramatically.
    Would’ve been nice for AI to add an “edited” tag or something to the new headline then instead of letting the dude get roasted for his comment now that the headline was fixed. 
    h4y3swilliamlondonforgot usernameAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrafred140dominapoleon_phoneapartking editor the grate
  • Reply 8 of 29
    h4y3sh4y3s Posts: 84member
    Well sure, but where's the fun in that. 
    Part of the AI gestalt. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobraking editor the grate
  • Reply 9 of 29
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    chadbag said:
    AppleZulu said:

The headline is 100% correct.  Nothing in the headline implies that it was a failure of an Apple product.  The headline couldn’t have been simpler and more correct. 

I’m as Rah Rah for Apple as the next guy but this sort of comment is funny and ridiculous at the same time.  Of course it could have been a MS Surface or a book or binder.   And the headline would have been “Fatal Helicopter Crash Likely Caused by Dropped Book”.  No one would think that the content or color of the book would have been related to the crash.  Why would you think a software error on a dropped iPad was the cause here?  It plainly states that the fact the iPad was dropped was a cause. 
    blancolirio has the report;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0N15ihORHA

That was a real tragedy, but read some of the readers posts for similar FOD anecdotes.

I was working at that same Forest Service Station, Indianola, where the accident occurred, on a Forest Service Helitack Crew in 1986. Our Helicopter was an Alouette SA 315B Lama, which is noted for being able to work at high elevations, as was the Chinook.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member
    My brother, an experienced pilot of turbine powered helicopters who was trained in the airforce, once demonstrated to me, in a chopper on the ground, how little time there is to correct some problems, seconds in one case. Experience counts for so much in flying helicopters.

Edit: Grammar
    edited July 2023 Alex1Ntmaywatto_cobra40domiwilliamlondonravnorodom
  • Reply 11 of 29
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member
    ...and what joy it gave you when you had to brake hard to avoid that deer ahead.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,500member
    iqatedo said:
    ...and what joy it gave you when you had to brake hard to avoid that deer ahead.
    Exactly! Just to clarify, she unexpectedly did it on her own. I quickly realized the importance of caging pets in the car. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobraiqatedoravnorodom
  • Reply 13 of 29
    chadbag said:
    AppleZulu said:

Fully agree.  A can or bottle can get stuck underneath the breaks of a motor vehicle.  It actually happens lots.   It happened to us at 18 - no joke.   iOS CANNOT interfere with the robot language of a helicopter.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,504member
    While I do note that the article headline was improved for greater clarity shortly after the original headline was used, it is the expectation of all staff on all websites that if you read a headline that intrigues you, you should then also <strong>read the fucking article</strong> the staff worked on to get all the detail and context. That why sites <em>have</em> staff and not just AI headline-writer bots.

If you are the sort of person who only reads headlines to form your opinions — and this applies to any sort of website or periodical — your opinions will often seem ignorant or questionable, particularly to people who RTFA. :)
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra40domironnslow n easyking editor the gratejony0
  • Reply 15 of 29
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,100member
    I got a similar story but with much older technology and much less tragic. A friend of mine, (who worked for a well known parcel delivery service) told me a story about how a co-worker got into a traffic accident while driving his delivery truck from Oakland to SF. Delivery trucks don't have radios so this driver had a portable stereo cassette player on the center console area (where he kept his clipboard). So while driving on the freeway and approaching the Bay Bridge, he was flipping over a cassette tape and dropped it. It landed on the floorboard beneath him and he couldn't see it. Traffic was light (this was in the 80's) so he had to keep driving. So he started to use his left foot to search for the tape on the floorboard. He used his left foot to feel around the floorboard, hoping find the tape and kick it out so he can at a least see where it was. Well, what he managed to do (but he didn't realize it) was to push the cassette tape so that it got wedged between the brake pedal and the floorboard (either widthwise or heightwise) and when it came time for him to stop at the toll plaza, the brake pedal wouldn't move and he wounded up rear ending the stopped car in front of him (waiting at the toll plaza). Good thing traffic was light (I did mention this was in the 80"s) and there was plenty of room in front of him to slow down to below 35MPH, just by letting off on the gas, before he needed to apply the brakes. Could had been a lot worst if he had to suddenly stop while driving at freeway speed.
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamtmaywatto_cobraBiCCravnorodom
  • Reply 16 of 29
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    cia said:
    I saw the initial headline and had the same thought as AppleZulu. AI should have put a note or a response to AppleZulu’s comment. Being an Apple-centric site the expectation is generally that stories have some relevance to the devices or technology. The story here is that a dropped object interfered with the helicopter controls and caused a crash. There’s a difference between an enticing headline that peaks the readers interest in being misleading Clickbait.

FAA guidelines state that all objects and equipment in the cockpit should be secured for this very reason.  As the article states, iPads are frequently used by pilots as flight aids so it’s presence in the cockpit was likely entirely legitimate, and this tragic accident simply a result of the pilot’s mistake.
    40domiwilliamlondonBiCCAppleZulu
  • Reply 17 of 29
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    MplsP said:
    cia said:
    I saw the initial headline and had the same thought as AppleZulu. AI should have put a note or a response to AppleZulu’s comment. Being an Apple-centric site the expectation is generally that stories have some relevance to the devices or technology. The story here is that a dropped object interfered with the helicopter controls and caused a crash. There’s a difference between an enticing headline that peaks the readers interest in being misleading Clickbait.

FAA guidelines state that all objects and equipment in the cockpit should be secured for this very reason.  As the article states, iPads are frequently used by pilots as flight aids so its presence in the cockpit was likely entirely legitimate, and this tragic accident simply a result of the pilot’s mistake.
    It's possible that AI didn't even see the AppleZulu's comment or this thread discussion. I know that I will often alter the way my comments read after posting with nary a clue that someone took issue with something or even responded. It's simply me posting, then the back of brain bringing to the surface an idea that is better and/or more clear, and editing. Since there's 4±1 minutes since posing the article to the forum and AppleZulu's comment, that could've easily occurred.
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 29
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member
    chadbag said:
    AppleZulu said:

The headline is 100% not correct, particularly as most people only read headlines (sadly) The report is correct and the investigators are pointing the finger in between the lines at electronic kit bags, not being secured correctly during flight
  • Reply 19 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    One of the scariest driving experiences I've ever had was when I was too tired after a long hike to change out of my hiking boots, and while driving home, on mountainous terrain roads, I got my right foot wedged somehow between the peddles of a Jeep with the accelerator depressed.   With its V8 engine, it was really starting to move!   I managed to wrench my boot free after several attempts, pulling a few leg muscles in the process. I still have nightmares about that event. I can't imagine what the pilot went through in those last few moments.  Utter disbelief and frustration don't come close.

To reiterate the sentiment about the article, in many of the comments above, I didn't blame the boots!
    edited July 2023 BiCC
  • Reply 20 of 29
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    chasm said:
    While I do note that the article headline was improved for greater clarity shortly after the original headline was used, it is the expectation of all staff on all websites that if you read a headline that intrigues you, you should then also <strong>read the fucking article</strong> the staff worked on to get all the detail and context. That why sites <em>have</em> staff and not just AI headline-writer bots.

If you are the sort of person who only reads headlines to form your opinions — and this applies to any sort of website or periodical — your opinions will often seem ignorant or questionable, particularly to people who RTFA. :)
    Counterpoint: Unlike you, most people, not having unlimited time, don't read every single article on every website that they see a headline for. Yet, the headline still makes an impression on them even if they are only peripherally aware of it. It is the responsibility of all staff on all websites to ensure their headlines accurately represent the actual content of the article and don't create false impressions in those who don't read the article. (That's why clickbait headlines are so harmful, because they are deliberately designed to mislead. General point, not saying the original headline here was meant as clickbait.) That's why sites have staff and not just AI headline-writer bots, because AI bots are not good with judgment calls.
    FileMakerFeller