First Apple Silicon M3 Mac releases rumored for October launch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2023

Apple is still on track to bring out its first M3 models of Apple Silicon Macs before the end of 2023, a report claims, with an October launch for the models thought to be in the works.

24-inch iMac
24-inch iMac

Apple often launches new Macs in the fall as part of a catalog-wide refresh, and 2023 will probably involve the same routine. For this fall, launches in October are thought to include Mac and MacBook models using the M3 chip.

Writing in the "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman says that an October event could happen for the Mac launches. For this fall, the lineup is anticipated to include an M3 iMac, an M3-equipped 13-inch MacBook Air, and an M3 version of the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

While the list includes a MacBook Air update, the change won't necessarily impact the 15-inch MacBook Air. An M3 equivalent of the larger model was said by Gurman in June to be arriving in 2024.

Though in previous years Apple has held events for its fall Mac launches, there's no guarantee that will happen. With the update being a spec bump version rather than one introducing new designs, it's plausible that Apple could instead do a press release-based launch instead of a full event.

Gurman has previously insisted M3 chips were due by the end of 2023 at the earliest.

Moving to the future, Gurman doubles down on the development of a large-screen iMac, with a 30-inch model possibly debuting in 2024.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    tbornottbornot Posts: 116member
    This is the one we've been waiting for, hardware ray tracing.  Finally, a machine where gamers don't snigger at the claims.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    XedXed Posts: 2,573member
    tbornot said:
    This is the one we've been waiting for, hardware ray tracing.  Finally, a machine where gamers don't snigger at the claims.
    I don't see that rumored, but I can see it happening as we now have to consider what Apple may want to include in their M-series chips for future Apple Vision products.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I wonder if Apple will replace the M2 with an M3 in the launch version of Apple Vision Pro? It would make sense if they did, but perhaps there are engineering or manufacturing challenges of which I am unaware.
    spheric
  • Reply 4 of 24
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I wonder why Apple did not bother refreshing with the M2 SoC. I’d have bought one had they done so.

My kids need a computer for school work and light games, but I don’t want to get shafted with older tech for the original RRP.

I’d hoped Apple would have stopped leaving models to languish for no discernible reason once they’d ditched Intel.
    williamlondonlewchenkodanox
  • Reply 5 of 24
    saarek said:
    I wonder why Apple did not bother refreshing with the M2 SoC. I’d have bought one had they done so.

My kids need a computer for school work and light games, but I don’t want to get shafted with older tech for the original RRP.

I’d hoped Apple would have stopped leaving models to languish for no discernible reason once they’d ditched Intel.
    That may still happen. This feels less like inside info and more like hedging one’s bets.

If this happens, then it’s like the A14/M1 release, only a month apart. But that may be the exception, not the rule. We’ll see. 
  • Reply 6 of 24
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    I wonder if Apple will replace the M2 with an M3 in the launch version of Apple Vision Pro? It would make sense if they did, but perhaps there are engineering or manufacturing challenges of which I am unaware.
    The initial shipment volume for Vision Pro will be low and this type of product needs the most efficient chips available. The efficiency gains would be too good to use M2 when M3 will be available in 2024:

https://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/technology/logic/l_3nm

"N3 technology will offer up to 70% logic density gain, up to 15% speed improvement at the same power and up to 30% power reduction at the same speed as compared with N5 technology."

This would allow them to reach M1 Pro performance for graphics and run cooler than M2.

They couldn't have announced it would ship with M3 as they haven't announced the chip yet but it's highly likely that once M3 is announced for the Macs, they will update the Vision Pro page to ship with M3.
    sphericradarthekatwilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 24
    AfarstarAfarstar Posts: 42member
    An M3 iMac is exactly what I’m waiting for. Take my money now. 
    danox
  • Reply 8 of 24
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 122member
    I guess for many the M1 version of the 24” doesn’t feel slow in the slightest , and an M3 won’t feel that much faster for many use cases. But it’s needed regardless as people don’t like paying the same amount as launch price (or even more in Europe now) for old tech. 
    So what else will they add to it to make it worthwhile. A cpu spec bump isn’t enough in my opinion - May as well get a heavily discounted M1 if that’s all that changes. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 24
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Still keeping that MBP13 alive, per this rumor. If the MBA15 doesn't kill it, who knows what will. Must be some big enterprise contracts for laptops that have to run out before it is killed.
    nubus
  • Reply 10 of 24
    I want an M3 MacBook Pro!
    My 15" 2019 i9 MacBook Pro runs like molasses sometime when using Vectorworks 2023.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on 16" MBP with an M2 Max, but could wait a bit if it's certain (more or less, this being Apple) it were coming in the fall.

Hopefully Apple releases an M3 MBP along with an M3 iMac.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    My 15" 2019 i9 MacBook Pro runs like molasses sometime when using Vectorworks 2023.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on 16" MBP with an M2 Max, but could wait a bit if it's certain (more or less, this being Apple) it were coming in the fall.

What are the specs on your 2019 MBP?
  • Reply 12 of 24

The gap between M1 and M1 Pro/Max was 11 months, the gap between M2 and M2 Pro/Max was 7 months. So it’s unlikely M3 Pro/Max would launch before March 2024 even if the M3 were to launch in October. Most likely it would be June 2024.

That said, we’re still early enough in the history of the M-series to not really be too sure about anything…
    edited July 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 24
    tht said:
    Still keeping that MBP13 alive, per this rumor. If the MBA15 doesn't kill it, who knows what will. Must be some big enterprise contracts for laptops that have to run out before it is killed.
    Maybe, but the “Pro” components it does have are audio, not visual. Logic Pro takes full advantage of the Touch Bar, so it’s possible music industry folks buy enough of them for Apple to keep refreshing it. If so, then it’s also possible it’s a placeholder for a touch-screen Mac with audio components aimed at the same market. 
  • Reply 14 of 24
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 214member
    Yes, a 27 or 30 inch M3 iMac would be awesome. Thank you.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    timmilleatimmillea Posts: 244member
    The 3nM process should be a game-changer for portable devices in terms of speed per unit energy, not so for desktops where a 40% cut in CPU power usage is not really significant in the overall scheme of things. An M3-equipped 11-inch MacBook Air with a 20-hour+ battery life would be the exemplar. 
  • Reply 16 of 24
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    tht said:
    Maybe, but the “Pro” components it does have are audio, not visual. Logic Pro takes full advantage of the Touch Bar, so it’s possible music industry folks buy enough of them for Apple to keep refreshing it. If so, then it’s also possible it’s a placeholder for a touch-screen Mac with audio components aimed at the same market. 
    The biggest ‘pro’ component is the fan. I love my m2 MBA, but it does throttle under load. 
    tenthousandthingswilliamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 24
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    lewchenko said:
    I guess for many the M1 version of the 24” doesn’t feel slow in the slightest , and an M3 won’t feel that much faster for many use cases. But it’s needed regardless as people don’t like paying the same amount as launch price (or even more in Europe now) for old tech. 
    So what else will they add to it to make it worthwhile. A cpu spec bump isn’t enough in my opinion - May as well get a heavily discounted M1 if that’s all that changes. 
    I’d be happy with either a spec bump or a discount. As you said, the only reason that I (and others) are now waiting is because the M1 variant is now long in the tooth and way past due a speed bump.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 24
    blastdoor said:
    tht said:
    The biggest ‘pro’ component is the fan. I love my m2 MBA, but it does throttle under load. 
    Ah, yes, you’re right. If you look at Apple’s marketing for it, that’s front and center. They highlight Final Cut Pro in that context. The “studio quality” audio components are third or fourth on the list. So then then it’s about using it in “clamshell” mode, where the MacBook spends most of its time closed, connected to a single external display. You don’t need a Liquid Retina ProMotion display built in if it’s sitting closed on your desktop.

There’s a niche there, Apple knows it, so they keep selling it. I have to say I was tempted to move on from my M1 Mini when I was looking at the marketing materials just now!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    It would be weird for Apple to have the two sizes of MBA on different processor update schedules--akin to the 14" MBP getting updated eight months before the 16" MBP. Your choice should be about screen size, not which model from the same laptop line has the better processor. Apple will certainly not be dropping an M3 into the 15" MBA this fall, so I think we'll see both models get the M3 next summer. 
  • Reply 20 of 24
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,308member
    blastdoor said:
    tht said:
    Ah, yes, you’re right. If you look at Apple’s marketing for it, that’s front and center. They highlight Final Cut Pro in that context. The “studio quality” audio components are third or fourth on the list. So then then it’s about using it in “clamshell” mode, where the MacBook spends most of its time closed, connected to a single external display. You don’t need a Liquid Retina ProMotion display built in if it’s sitting closed on your desktop.

There’s a niche there, Apple knows it, so they keep selling it. I have to say I was tempted to move on from my M1 Mini when I was looking at the marketing materials just now!
    I appreciate that apple is going after niches like this. People sometimes misunderstand what Steve Jobs was doing when he simplified the Mac lineup back in the 90s. The proliferation of Mac models back then was not to provide meaningful variation in functionality to serve different user needs, it was just about marketing the same computer to different people by giving it a different name and look. He eliminated redundancies without sacrificing functionality. 

Today apple has more mac models than in 2000, but the variation all serves actual customer needs. This fan in the MBP13 is a prime example. 
    tenthousandthingswilliamlondon