Instagram chief's mic drop: 'Android's now better than iOS'

Posted:
in iOS edited July 2023

Falling a little short in the details, Instagram head Adam Mosseri has announced that Android is better than iOS, then dropped the mic and moved on.

There's no rule that says you have to like iOS or Android, and for all the technical differences, it is ultimately an indefinable personal preference. Unless you're Adam Mosseri and just plain dislike iOS so much that you want to proclaim it loudly.

YouTuber MKBHD set the ball rolling on Threads by asking for people's "best tech hot takes." The idea was that popular comments would rise to the top, and the very top one is now Mosseri's.

"Android's now better than iOS," it reads. In full.

Saying literally not one syllable more, it's not possible to be absolutely sure whether he's referring to the entire systems, or just to Threads on them. But the majority of replies have presumed he means the whole of Android beats the whole of iOS.

They aren't exactly long on details, either, but there's passion and there's argument and there are good points on both sides. There is also the usual cat-calling, again on both sides, and the thread has become most of what gives social media such a good name.

There is one key difference between Mosseri and everyone else on the thread, though. He runs Instagram -- and he's got form for disliking Apple devices.

Specifically, he has previously shrugged off the idea of making an iPad version of the Instagram app. He says that iPad users are "still just not a big enough group of people to be a priority."

Those paltry few million people will just have to keep using the iPhone app on their iPads, then. Mosseri could at least have added "Don't expect Threads to get an iPadOS app soon, either."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    tomeonetomeone Posts: 9member
    …presumably because Google hasn’t yet implemented app-tracking block measures like Apple has.
    williamlondonbadmonkcpsrotechconcAlex_Vbala1234magman1979qwerty52longpathblastdoor
  • Reply 2 of 46
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Read: "We can't get as much data from you if you use iOS due to Apple's stance on privacy, and that means we don't make as much money, therefore Android is better"

Wake me up when you can come up with an argument for how yet another social media clone technology makes the world a better place.
    caladanianfreeassociate2retrogustowilliamlondonhmurchisonbadmonkcpsrodanoxAlex_Vmagman1979
  • Reply 3 of 46
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    Way better on tracking & selling ads, so better businesses incomes???
    williamlondonbadmonkAlex_Vmagman1979byronllolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Android users switching to iOS annually: 14%. iOS users switching to Android annually: 4%. I guess the "better" part must be pretty well hidden within the operating system.
    williamlondonbadmonktechconcAlex_Vmagman1979qwerty52ravnorodomFileMakerFellerblastdoorbyronl
  • Reply 5 of 46
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Anytime you have to make a claim that something is the best that means it isn't the best.    Excellence always speaks for itself.
    badmonkwilliamlondonAlex_Vmagman1979ravnorodomFileMakerFellerjfabula1Andy.Hardwakelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Android users switching to iOS annually: 14%. iOS users switching to Android annually: 4%. I guess the "better" part must be pretty well hidden within the operating system.

Since nearly the dawn of the duopoly, Apple and others have claimed that some annually significant percentage of Android users have switched to iOS. Oddly though Android continues to exist a decade and a half later, and in good numbers. How can that be if 10-14% of the ecosystem switch to Apple devices every year and smartphone adoption numbers aren't rising? 

A conundrum. 
    edited July 2023 muthuk_vanalingamctt_zhFileMakerFellerbyronl
  • Reply 7 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    Personally I much prefer Android but Android comes in infinitely more flavors than iOS so it's impossible to have used them all to any real degree. The same applies to iOS and the changes from one versión to another.

I'd say that over recent years, iOS has taken a huge amount of influence from Android. Although it is a two way street, it definitely looks like Apple is loosening it's grip on key areas like personalisation.

For me, as someone who constantly has to dip into iOS to resolve issues, it can be very frustrating to see how some things seem so kludgy there. 

That could be due to my wife's particular situation/configuration or how certain apps 'behave' but it doesn't feel intuitive to me. 
    muthuk_vanalingamctt_zhFileMakerFellerbyronl
  • Reply 8 of 46
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    May be he is getting more Android users for Instagram. So Android is better. 
    Alex_V
  • Reply 9 of 46
    gatorguy said: Since nearly the dawn of the duopoly, Apple and others have claimed that some annually significant percentage of Android users have switched to iOS. Oddly though Android continues to exist a decade and a half later, and in good numbers. How can that be if 10-14% of the ecosystem switch to Apple devices every year and smartphone adoption numbers aren't rising?  
    Hint: it's not 14% of the entire Android user base. It's 14% of iPhone buyers in a given year.  
    williamlondonAlex_Vmagman1979Fidonet127FileMakerFellerbyronllolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 46
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    Yup, Android is better all around… for privacy invasion. And not just now, it always has been, but especially recently after Apple closed the door further. Meta makes its money off selling users’ data. Android makes gathering personal data easier, more thorough, and more profitable.
    It looks like an official WhatsApp Messenger isn’t even available to download as an iPhone app on iPads.
    Meta Quest is dead, by the way. Mosseri Is probably a little sad about that, too.
    Disclaimer: I don’t use any Meta apps.
    edited July 2023 williamlondonAlex_Vmagman1979byronllolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said: Since nearly the dawn of the duopoly, Apple and others have claimed that some annually significant percentage of Android users have switched to iOS. Oddly though Android continues to exist a decade and a half later, and in good numbers. How can that be if 10-14% of the ecosystem switch to Apple devices every year and smartphone adoption numbers aren't rising?  
    Hint: it's not 14% of the entire Android user base. It's 14% of iPhone buyers in a given year.  
    Oh. So 15 years later nearly the entire current iOS ownership base comes from what were originally Android owners? 10-15% every year is a substantial turnover, in total a collectively huge percentage of today's iPhone owners, and a massive Android ecosystem loss. Goodness, how have they survived?  
    edited July 2023 ctt_zh
  • Reply 12 of 46
    avon b7 said:
    Personally I much prefer Android but Android comes in infinitely more flavors than iOS so it's impossible to have used them all to any real degree. The same applies to iOS and the changes from one versión to another.

I'd say that over recent years, iOS has taken a huge amount of influence from Android. Although it is a two way street, it definitely looks like Apple is loosening it's grip on key areas like personalisation.

For me, as someone who constantly has to dip into iOS to resolve issues, it can be very frustrating to see how some things seem so kludgy there

That could be due to my wife's particular situation/configuration or how certain apps 'behave' but it doesn't feel intuitive to me. 
    You are not alone on the bolded part. It is my experience as well. 

"how certain apps 'behave' but it doesn't feel intuitive to me" - I also have the same feeling but I always thought it was due to me being born and brought up with Windoze OS. I am surprised to see this from you, a person who has primarily MacOS experience.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 46
    ctt_zhctt_zh Posts: 67member
  • Reply 14 of 46
    baka-dubbsbaka-dubbs Posts: 175member
    I think people are missing the point of a "Hot Take".  A hot take sets out to be "deliberatively provocative or sensational".  IE, the whole thing is to get fanboys arguing one way or the other, which apparently mission accomplished...
    williamlondonAlex_Vbala1234FileMakerFellerbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 46
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    If Androids better, then why is Google and Microsoft hanging around Apple and not the other way around, Apple literally could care less whether or not Google/Android or Microsoft disappears tomorrow it would not affect Apple in anyway, Google is the one paying Apple billions per year to be in the default position on iOS and MacOS, stop writing the check and go away. Running Ads and spying (Eric Emerson Schmidt) is what they do best.

One reason, Microsoft and Google are hanging around MacOS and iOS is the overall high quality of the ecosystems Apple has created, particularly for users, and for developers good developers to make money, however another more insidious reason both hang around, is as a rear guard action, because the Mac ecosystems are large enough that some good small to medium size developers could incubate within the Apple ecosystems, and possibly grow into 800 pound gorillas in the future which is part of the reason both will hang around the Apple ecosystems to make sure no one rises up, and with that in mind the new Apple Vision Pro ecosystem will have all three vultures in attendance, Google, Microsoft and Meta sitting on the fence, squatting, with minor cameo appearances, by Spotify and Sweeney Todd complaining all the way.

Android better? Not when they’re writing the check to Apple for billions and squatting within MacOS and iOS.
    edited July 2023 spicedAndy.Hardwakewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 46
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Lol.   

🤣😂🙄🤣
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 46
    avon b7 said:

For me, as someone who constantly has to dip into iOS to resolve issues, it can be very frustrating to see how some things seem so kludgy there. 

From an application developer perspective (both Android and iOS), Android's technology stack is a mess compared to iOS. They put Kotlin on top of Java, which is basically just syntax sugar coating (Java was already a pretty high level language). Java has zero direct interoperability with native programming languages like C/C++, so if you do need to do more advanced things, or make things work cross-platform, it takes 2-3x more effort. And don't even get started on how awful Android Studio is ("Repair IDE" is one of the menu items in it, no joke).

Not surprising most people just create web apps in JavaScript on Android. Which is likely Google's plan anyways since it's easier for them to gather rich data on customers via the web than monitoring via Android itself (where figuring out what people are doing is more complex).

Apple's equivalent technologies (Objective-C and Swift) are very cleanly designed and intuitive, and integrate easily with cross-platform code, which isn't surprising since they were designed in-house rather than via clone and own (Java) and a 3rd party (Jetbrains created Kotlin).

I think most consumer problems with iOS stem from the fact that Google invests heavily in Chromium/web technologies, at the expense of their native technologies. Whereas Apple is the reverse. So if you spend your whole life in web apps and/or a browser then the experience is going to be better. Also, most web apps completely disregard any sort of platform UI standards. So again, if you're used to the wild west of web app/page interfaces, the native platform interfaces are going to seem less intuitive.

As someone who tries to avoid using web apps as much as possible because I find them slower to use, less intuitive, and battery killers, I find iOS very intuitive to configure and navigate.
    edited July 2023 Alex_VroundaboutnowiqatedohexclockericthehalfbeeFileMakerFellerAndy.Hardwakemike1lollivertmay
  • Reply 18 of 46
    lam92103lam92103 Posts: 126member
    Sure it is. 

*Meanwhile my Android phone force installs Candy Crush for like the 10th time*
    Alex_Vmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 46
    I think people are missing the point of a "Hot Take".  A hot take sets out to be "deliberatively provocative or sensational".  IE, the whole thing is to get fanboys arguing one way or the other, which apparently mission accomplished...
    Sad how shallow the world has become, isn't it? Where is the space to have in depth debate with well thought out and researched ideas these days anyways?
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 46
    gatorguy said:
    Oh. So 15 years later nearly the entire current iOS ownership base comes from what were originally Android owners? 10-15% every year is a substantial turnover, in total a collectively huge percentage of today's iPhone owners, and a massive Android ecosystem loss. Goodness, how have they survived?  
    Of course marketers on both sides are going to cherry pick data to make claims. The whole world of marketing is about bamboozling people who don't think too deeply about things into believing one thing or another.

Let's move past the talking points and get to a real technical analysis of what makes a good piece of technology that enriches our lives. And how the actions of the companies behind those technologies sets an example for future generations. With that in mind, it's not surprising to see the current behaviour of tech company leaders.
    edited July 2023 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra