Peacock is jacking up prices for both new and existing customers

Posted:
in General Discussion

Yet another streaming service is hiking its prices. This time, subscribers to NBC's Peacock are about to feel the pinch.

For the first time since it launched in 2020, NBC is raising the price of its on-demand streaming service Peacock. And, it's doing it for both new and existing customers.

The Peacock Premium plan will rise from $4.99 to $5.99 if paid monthly or from $49.99 to $59.99 if purchased yearly.

The Peacock Plus plan, which features no advertisements, will increase from $9.99 to $11.99 monthly or from $99.99 to $119.99 yearly.

The price hike will go into effect on August 17 for existing users. Starting July 24, all new subscribers will pay the new, higher prices.

In the past year, many streaming services have hiked their prices as the market becomes more competitive and consumers begin weeding out services they no longer want. In December, Hulu hiked its prices for its Hulu + Live TV bundle, as did Disney.

In November, the YouTube Premium Family Plan saw a substantial price increase with the subscription jumping from $17.99 to $22.99.

Apple has also increased prices for its streaming services, raising the prices for Apple One, Apple Music, and Apple TV+ subscriptions.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,144member
    Comcast is ratcheting up prices and other fees.
    My Comcast internet rate stayed the same, but if I didn't change my payment method from CC to checking, I'd lose half of my Auto-pay discount.
    Peacock Premium has been included in my package, but I think it's about to be downgraded to standard Peacock.  

Oh well.  For some odd reason, my block of San Francisco only has Comcast cable internet.  No other cable or fiber.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,323member
    Strange naming convention. In my mind, "Premium" is bigger than "Plus", yet not at Peacock apparently. Plus must mean plus-sized.  :D

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    OneTitan: Thanks for the hot tip. I’m very lazy and I refuse to work. How can I get this fantastic half-price Netflix? Or free Amazon Prime? Please, I promise not to try to take your job away from you or anybody else. Let me know about these great streaming bargains.
    napoleon_phoneapartwinstoner71williamlondonbaconstangOferronnFileMakerFellerramanpfaffmuthuk_vanalingamAppleZulu
  • Reply 4 of 18
    This is happening across seveal consumer subscritoion industries: Obama phones, subscriptions, Netflix, Amazon  Prime, Water, Electricity Gas you name it.   Why you ask?  Because they are giving away or 50% reduction to lazy people who choose not to work.   Those of us who bust our backs to support ourselves are now also paying for the lazy.    Fact Check it.

The only thing I’m fact-checking is if you’re a clown or not, and yep, there it is right there. It’s true. 

baconstangOferwilliamlondonronnmuthuk_vanalingamretrogustohcrefugeewatto_cobrajeffharrisMeteor
  • Reply 5 of 18
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,413member
    This is happening across seveal consumer subscritoion industries: Obama phones, subscriptions, Netflix, Amazon  Prime, Water, Electricity Gas you name it.   Why you ask?  Because they are giving away or 50% reduction to lazy people who choose not to work.   Those of us who bust our backs to support ourselves are now also paying for the lazy.    Fact Check it.
    Blah, blah, blah, utter bigoted drivel and nonsensical partisan blathering and lunacy.
    baconstangjibOferspunkmeyerronnramanpfaffretrogustohcrefugeewatto_cobrajeffharris
  • Reply 6 of 18
    What's an "Obama phone"?
    williamlondonOferravnorodomspunkmeyerronnFileMakerFellerhcrefugee
  • Reply 7 of 18
    What's an "Obama phone"?
    It's a sign you're reading a person who's all-in on conspiracy theories.

I'm shocked they didn't try to work in "woke" somehow. 
    williamlondonronnmuthuk_vanalingamretrogustohcrefugeejeffharrisjSnivelyMeteor
  • Reply 8 of 18
    gnulokignuloki Posts: 14member
    Backfired with me. Didn't realize we still had a plan with them until they decided to do a price hike. No thank you, plan canceled. You'd think it they were smart they would only raise the rates for heavy users.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,563member
    I hate adverts with a passion, so am always on the no ad plans. The biggest benefit to me from these streaming services was the fact that there were no blasted adverts. Now it's changing and they are all jumping on the ad band waggon.

It amazes me that these companies seem to receive $6 per users for crappy ads that almost everyone either mutes or walk away from to grab a cup of coffee.

FileMakerFellerjeffharrisbaconstang
  • Reply 10 of 18
    saarek said:
    I hate adverts with a passion, so am always on the no ad plans. The biggest benefit to me from these streaming services was the fact that there were no blasted adverts. Now it's changing and they are all jumping on the ad band waggon.

It amazes me that these companies seem to receive $6 per users for crappy ads that almost everyone either mutes or walk away from to grab a cup of coffee.
    All their data shows that they make more from ad-supported subscriptions than from ad-free subscriptions. I believe it's not because they receive more per subscriber from advertisers than the amount they lose from a full-fee subscription but rather that they end up with more subscribers overall by offering the lower-priced tier and in aggregate it's more revenue/profit.

But it's still weird.
    jeffharris
  • Reply 11 of 18
    lkrupp Is that you?
    M68000ronnretrogustowilliamlondonhcrefugeebaconstang
  • Reply 12 of 18
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,100member
    Mark1234 said:
    OneTitan: Thanks for the hot tip. I’m very lazy and I refuse to work. How can I get this fantastic half-price Netflix? Or free Amazon Prime? Please, I promise not to try to take your job away from you or anybody else. Let me know about these great streaming bargains.

Not close to being free but Amazon do offer 50% discount for low income Prime subscribers (that pays with an EBT card)

Netflix started an EBT program for low income subscribers, but that won't come close to being free or 50% discount.

But really, if you were homeless, unemployed or only making less than $15,000 a year, I would think the last thing you would need is a discount on a Prime or Netflix subscription.

But .....

With the Federal Lifeline Program (that we all pay for with the lifeline fee on our telephone and internet subscription), low income citizens can get free and discount on phones (Obama Phone) and internet service. In some cities, mobile phones and services are offered for free, if you're homeless.

The cable service in my area offer about a 25% discount for qualifying low income households. But only on basic cable and internet service.

My gas and electric service also offer low income discounts for electricity and gas service.

But nearly all of these programs are paid for by government fees (taxes) that gets passed on to the service cost and those fees are not the main reason why the services have increased in cost recently. And I for one don't mind seeing that those fees are at least being spent as intended. Unlike the CA gas tax that all CA motorist pays but CA politicians used it to pay for nearly everything else, except to maintain and fix the roads as intended. Then they saw fit to increase the gas tax because our roads were in so bad shape from not being maintained over the years.

williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 18
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,140member
    Cranky conservative: I bust my back to support myself because I am ruggedly independent and earned everything I have all by myself with no help from anyone else, ever. I don’t want to pay taxes for “Obama phones” and cheap internet for lazy poor people who should just go get a job. 

Lazy poor person: I’d like to apply for a job. 

Cranky conservative: Scan this QR code to get to the job application that you must fill out online.

Lazy poor person: —
    retrogustowilliamlondonhcrefugeebaconstang
  • Reply 14 of 18

What's an "Obama phone"?
    And where can I get one?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I subscribe to Peacock ONLY to watch the Tour de France and the Vuelta España. 
    Then I shut it off. 

I can’t imagine ANY programming on NBC I’d be willing to subject myself to actually watch. 
    I only wish they broadcast the Giro d’Italia in June.

As for the Tour and Vuelta, I only watch the World Feed which is completely ad-free and doesn’t have American sports bozos sitting around a desk and bloviating. Or incessantly talking about what American riders are doing.
    And the race is announced in KILOMETERS, not miles!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    ronnronn Posts: 679member

What's an "Obama phone"?
    And where can I get one?
    In the feral imaginations of right wing sycophants. The so-called Obama Phone is part of a program that predates Obama's time in office by decades. The Lifeline program was started under President Reagan in 1985 to give telephone service to those making poverty wages, and expanded to include mobile phone service under the George W. Bush administration in 2007-8. It suddenly became a problem during Obama's administration. Right wing whiners mysteriously shut up when 100s of millions of $$ were saved under the program with better vetting and documentation was instituted.
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstangwilliamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 18
    drhamaddrhamad Posts: 34member

What's an "Obama phone"?
    And where can I get one?
    "Obama phone" refers to the Universal Service Fund.  It's "sold" by a number of carriers (Assurance Wireless, SafeLink, Q Link, etc).
  • Reply 18 of 18
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,140member
    I subscribe to Peacock ONLY to watch the Tour de France and the Vuelta España. 
    Then I shut it off. 

I can’t imagine ANY programming on NBC I’d be willing to subject myself to actually watch. 
    I only wish they broadcast the Giro d’Italia in June.

As for the Tour and Vuelta, I only watch the World Feed which is completely ad-free and doesn’t have American sports bozos sitting around a desk and bloviating. Or incessantly talking about what American riders are doing.
    And the race is announced in KILOMETERS, not miles!
    But then how can you tell how far they've gone?