First major Threads update adds some highly desired features

Posted:
in iOS edited July 2023

Meta has made its first major update to Instagram's Threads app, adding a number of essential elements to the Twitter competitor.

Threads
Threads

Occurring almost two weeks after the launch of the app, the first update of Threads has started to roll out to users. Following feedback from users, the first update includes a few highly requested features, which should make using the app much easier.

A list of updates published by Meta's Cameron Roth on Threads itself starts the list off with the inclusion of translations of posts, with users also set to see a new Follows tab on their activity feed. Changes are also made to improve activity feed scrolling and loading.

Users will also be able to subscribe to unfollowed users, see following accounts on thread replies pages, and be able to tap reposter labels. It will also be possible to open the Instagram followers list within the app.

Along with feature changes, the app is being made more stable, with a "few small crash fixes" included alongside "a handful of other small bugs." The app itself is also being more lightweight with binary size cuts, meaning it should take up less storage on an iPhone.

While the update is available to download from the App Store, users are warned they may have to restart their app too in order to see the changes, and may have to wait until the end of Tuesday to see them. "We use a system of server-delivered flags which can take awhile to fully release," writes Roth.

Threads saw massive success from launch, with more than 100 million accounts active on the service in its first week. Since launch, it has also blocked EU users from accessing the app via VPNs while Facebook deals with European privacy rules.

Twitter took the launch of Threads poorly, with Twitter threatening to sue Meta over the apparent stealing of trade secrets.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,286member
    Dangit. I thought this article was about Thread, the smart devices networking protocol!
    mike1Cesar Battistini MazierodewmeFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,286member

Users will also be able to subscribe to unfollowed users

What the ...? How is "subscribing" and "following" different?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Let the data collection continue.....

Are you able to delete the account without deleting instagram? Because that is the only reason why the user numbers are said to be so high.

I prefere to stick with twitter. Why go for the copycat?

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member

Are you able to delete the account without deleting instagram? Because that is the only reason why the user numbers are said to be so high.

Do you own stock in Tesla? Your posts sure sound like it.
    ronn
  • Reply 5 of 14
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,378member
    mayfly said:

Don't be so limiting, those who refuse to leave Twitter could be expecting Apartheid Elmo to give them a pony, or they may be Andrew Tate fans, or nazis, or the list just keeps running on and on.  ;)
    ronnmayflyilarynxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,128member

Users will also be able to subscribe to unfollowed users

What the ...? How is "subscribing" and "following" different?
    Yeah, I was thinking it might be like with YouTube where you can subscribe to pay the videographer, but no.

Per Yahoo it sounds like a lesser "follow":
    "You can subscribe to unfollowed users to get notifications without crowding your timeline."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14

So let's get this straight; you want to stick with the bird app, where conspiracy whackos, racists, and extremists go unchecked. You mentioned data collection; do you not think that the bird app collects user data? If you don't believe it, you're living under a rock.

Every day, more and more well-known people are joining Threads, and less and less traffic is reported on the bird app. As this happens, the bird app gets diminished more and more, until it'll go the way of MySpace and Friendster.

You said "the copycat;" the bird app's original designer didn't create the concept, just as its new owner didn't become a wealthy man on his own--he inherited his wealth from his racist parents. Not only that, but he wasted $44 billion on the app, and he wouldn't know a line of code from a grain of truth.

But if you prefere[sp], stick with it. 
    williamlondonronnmuthuk_vanalingammayflywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14

Isn’t the whole point of Twitter (and now Threads) to make public posts?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I wonder what is going on behind the scenes with Meta, Microsoft, and Apple.  If Microsoft and Apple tie in Meta into an API the telecommunications industry will fold.  It would be Messages for everybody, and Amazon is launching 3200 satellites - already started yesterday, and jumping Fiber cable.  Something is going to give.  Do you know how much the telecommunication industry hates Apple's Messages - a lot.  The satellites are as big as a fridge. And Apple has Messages for Windows.  Alphabet the deep state will step in - the three letter named people, hence Alphabet.  Microsoft, Apple, Amazon are not original deep state - Meta who knows.  Pass the popcorn...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,966member
    And here I thought privacy was one of the ‘highly desired features.’ Silly me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 138member
    I signed up to Threads despite my misgivings but I haven’t been back and probably won’t until we at least get:
    * chronological timeline
    * lists

It isn’t a Twitter killer… yet. Meanwhile Twitter gets objectively worse and worse. I might end up leaving before something decent replaces it.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 138member

Are you able to delete the account without deleting instagram?
    You can create a new account within Insta and use that for Threads, then nuke that if you want to leave.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member

Isn’t the whole point of Twitter (and now Threads) to make public posts?
    LMAO! The whole point of Twitter and Threads is to mine your posts and searches to sell targeted advertising by the click. That's it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    ilarynxilarynx Posts: 104member
    mayfly said:

Don't be so limiting, those who refuse to leave Twitter could be expecting Apartheid Elmo to give them a pony, or they may be Andrew Tate fans, or nazis, or the list just keeps running on and on.  ;)
    "Big tent", right?

;^)
    williamlondonwatto_cobra