Apple's AirTag helps a magician find his lost bag at Newark airport

Posted:
in AirTag edited July 2023

Apple's AirTag item tracker has come in handy for a lot of people since the accessory launched, and now it's even helped a magician find his missing bag at an airport.

Apple AirTag
Apple AirTag

Some AirTag owners who have had their belongings stolen have used the item tracker to actually get those things back. And the good news here is the magician was able to get their bag back, too.

As first reported by Insider, David Orleans was on his way to Newark on Tuesday to take part in a local trade show. The luggage he was bringing with him included upwards of $1,500 worth of sound equipment, all of which Orleans uses for his performances.

Interestingly, after Orleans got off his flight at the intended destination, he checked the Find My app to see where his luggage was. And, sure enough, the bag had made the journey with him.

Orleans made his way to baggage claim to wait for his bag to find its way to him. And yet, it never did. When the bag didn't show up, Orleans checked the Find My app again and noticed the bag hadn't moved.

It was still on the tarmac.

The magician made his way over to United Airlines customer support, where he spoke to someone who told him that his bag was not, in fact, in Newark because it had never been checked in. Orleans showed the agent that the bag was at the airport, just not in the airport, but the clerk wouldn't do anything to fix the situation.

They did say they could mail the bag, once it was located, to his hotel within five business days. Unfortunately for the magician, he was only in town for three days, and the items in the bag are essential for his show.

Upon closer inspection, Orleans found that his bag was located near Gate 90, despite the fact he arrived at a different gate. So, without any other options, he devised a plan: buy another ticket.

Orleans picked up a refundable ticket to Boston, made his way through security, and then went over to Gate 90. There, looking through the window, he could see his bag sitting on the tarmac.

Orleans' bag sitting on the tarmac. Image source: Insider
Orleans' bag sitting on the tarmac. Image source: Insider

"It was just sitting on the tarmac," Orleans said. "The most frustrating thing is somebody walked past the luggage while I was watching it, and he just walked right past it, like it was not his job to get it."

Eventually, Orleans did find a United Airlines employee who was willing to help, even after they admitted they had "never seen that kind of thing before."

While Orleans watched from the window, the employee went out onto the tarmac and picked up the bag. The magician had to wait for a few more party tricks to finish, as the employee couldn't give the bag back to Orleans directly, it had to go through the proper channels first.

Orleans returned his Boston ticket, retrieved his bag, and made it to his show on time. And, despite having his bag and his items, United Airlines emailed him on Wednesday to let him know they were still looking for his bag and they'd send it to him as soon as they located it.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,669member
    I hope there were no rabbits in the bag.
    BiCCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 569member
    Lol United Airlines intelligence disappeared. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    That’s what happens when we give responsibility to AI’s to keep track of stuff. Mission Impossible 7 is a cautionary tale.  
    iOS_Guy80watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,321member

Everything is powered by software systems these days, so the failures clearly lay with poorly-designed software, and a failure of management to hold the developers accountable for that. Make better software and these problems will go away.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    Luggage handlers; better than even magicians at making things disappear.  
    iOS_Guy80AnAppleNerdmuthuk_vanalingamdewmewatto_cobraAlex_V
  • Reply 6 of 20
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,725member
    Anilu_777 said:
    Once again, exposing the incompetence of airlines.   They have a strange inability to think outside of their terrible procedures.  
    mayflyiOS_Guy80AnAppleNerdBiCCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    This was not a "case" of incompetence. This was a baggage handler hoping to sell some sound equipment he got for free. This happens thousands of times every year. And they do it with the collusion of apathetic, incompetent and/or involved customer service agents.

Agent: "No, your bag is not in Newark."
    You: "There's an AirTag on it, and here it is, at gate 90."
    Agent: "There's nothing I can do. When we find it, we'll return it to you."
    You: "Thanks for nothing."

Then you cram your rage down deep inside, because you know the alternative will end up with you in jail. Our luggage has been lost by airlines 7 times! And once it was stolen off the carousel. It's how we discovered the joy (and fun) of domestic train travel. It takes longer, but it's like riding a bicycle instead of driving. You see your country up close. You can get up and walk around any time you please, and there is always coffee hot and ready for you. A first class sleeper has 10 times the room of an economy seat on a plane, costs about the same, and has real food at mealtime, in a dining car with real tablecloths, china and flatware. In addition, you share your table with another couple and get to know someone new, sometimes become friends. The waiting room is spacious (in our Union Station in Chicago) and has comfortable easy chairs and sofas, and snacks and drinks! There is no TSA rifling through your underwear, and Amtrak has never misplaced our bags. Ever.

I accept that it's not suitable for everyone, not even always for us. But if you're traveling in North America for leisure, just try it once. You'll be hooked for life.
    edited July 2023 BiCCmuthuk_vanalingamcitpekssconosciutowatto_cobraAlex_V
  • Reply 8 of 20
    longfanglongfang Posts: 511member
    mayfly said:
    This was not a "case" of incompetence. This was a baggage handler hoping to sell some sound equipment he got for free. This happens thousands of times every year. And they do it with the collusion of apathetic, incompetent and/or involved customer service agents.

Then you cram your rage down deep inside, because you know the alternative will end up with you in jail. Our luggage has been lost by airlines 7 times! And once it was stolen off the carousel. It's how we discovered the joy (and fun) of domestic train travel. It takes longer, but it's like riding a bicycle instead of driving. You see your country up close. You can get up and walk around any time you please, and there is always coffee hot and ready for you. A first class sleeper has 10 times the room of an economy seat on a plane, costs about the same, and has real food at mealtime, in a dining car with real tablecloths, china and flatware. In addition, you share your table with another couple and get to know someone new, sometimes become friends. The waiting room is spacious (in our Union Station in Chicago) and has comfortable easy chairs and sofas, and snacks and drinks! There is no TSA rifling through your underwear, and Amtrak has never misplaced our bags. Ever.

I accept that it's not suitable for everyone, not even always for us. But if you're traveling in North America for leisure, just try it once. You'll be hooked for life.
    The international version aka ocean liners unfortunately are no longer a thing
    mayflyBiCCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mayfly said:
    Are you saying that the baggage handlers see a Pelican case, or equivalent, and remove it?
    mayflysconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    martinxyz said:
    mayfly said:
    Are you saying that the baggage handlers see a Pelican case, or equivalent, and remove it?
    Yep.
    BiCC
  • Reply 11 of 20
    dewme said:
    I hope there were no rabbits in the bag.

That's a good one!!!!! Everyone laughed!!!
  • Reply 12 of 20
    eriamjh said:
    Anilu_777 said:
    Once again, exposing the incompetence of airlines.   They have a strange inability to think outside of their terrible procedures.  

Lets not go so hard on them.  They just fly airplanes.  The incompetence of Airlines banks Facebook coin.  Who doesn't have at least three stories.  Every comment in this thread is actually amusing. And true.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    samchansamchan Posts: 1member
    A few weeks ago after our family landed in Osaka, Japan, one of the luggages didn't come out.  The AirTag showed it was still sitting in SFO!  We were so glad we had the AirTag so we did not need to wait at the airport needlessly.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 251member
    mayfly said:

You forgot to mention water closets that are not literally the size of closets.

Well-developed train travel, like in Europe, is great.  Aside from the space and freedom, blasting down the rails at 300 km/h is smoother and quieter than a plane, or a pothole-riddled highway will ever be.

Grand rail terminals with great architecture, located right in the heart of the city.

If you've got the time, it's a much more comfortable, less stressful, and dare I say, more civilized way to travel.  On the last plane trip I took, the behavior of some of the people at the airport gates made one question whether they realized they were no longer inside their own residence.
    mayflywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    citpeks said:
    mayfly said:

You forgot to mention water closets that are not literally the size of closets.

Well-developed train travel, like in Europe, is great.  Aside from the space and freedom, blasting down the rails at 300 km/h is smoother and quieter than a plane, or a pothole-riddled highway will ever be.

Grand rail terminals with great architecture, located right in the heart of the city.

If you've got the time, it's a much more comfortable, less stressful, and dare I say, more civilized way to travel.  On the last plane trip I took, the behavior of some of the people at the airport gates made one question whether they realized they were no longer inside their own residence.
    Actually, I didn't mention the toilets (or WC's as you say) on purpose, as I don't think they're much better than airplane toilets. In fact, I saw some graffiti in the toilet of our last train ride from Chicago to Denver:
    Some things we cannot accomplish, though we try with all might and main.
    Some day get drunk and try to pee, on a jostling, moving train!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    The ex worked for 10 years as a supervisor in Passenger Refunds at one of the major airlines.

1. don't let your bags go thru PHL if you can help it at all. Notorious for "lost" bags.
    2. if possible, check your bags before you leave the airport. If shit is missing, you have a much stronger case for compensation than if you left the airport before making a claim.
    3. don't ever put computer or photo gear in checked bags, especially if the "bag" makes it look like gear (e.g., Pelican case). Read the fine print, airlines are specifically exempted from responsibility for lost/damaged photo and computer gear in checked bags. The only such gear I've ever packed in a checked bag is stuff that is completely unrecognizable to anybody but a video professional.
    4. Whenever possible, travel with carry-on bags only.

edited July 2023 watto_cobraAlex_V
  • Reply 17 of 20
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member

mayfly
    said:

1) So you're claiming that the baggage handler went though all the luggage and found one with sound equipment that he wanted to steal so then he put the bag on the tarmac  in plain sight of a giant passenger window so he could then come by at a later time to retrieve said bag in order to steal its contents? Um, no.

2) Based on your first paragraph's logic I have doubts that your luggage has actually been lost and stolen that many times. Additionally, an economy seat on a plane is not the same price as a first class sleeper on a train for the same distance of travel. As someone who has travel extensively around the world, US train travel isn't a great bargain.

Additionally, I've also never encountered as many bathroom issues smelling up a sleeper car as I have with Amtrak... which you can google to find a lot of complaints about this unfortunate issue. For me, it's only about 1:20, but 5% of the time is still far too frequently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amtrak/comments/70yyh9/why_does_the_stench_from_the_bathrooms_seem_to/

To do some research for you, here's a cross country trip from SF to NYC. $170 for an economy flight with one stop, or $180 nonstop which will take 6 hours, while the cheapest Amtrak option is $335 and will require being on a bus and getting off at multiple stops to change buses and/or trains. That's nearly half the price for economy and at only 6 hours it can be done with ease in a day.  Have you ever sat on a train for 24 hours straight, no sleeper car? I have, and it's quite uncomfortable even if you are in the nicer Business Class seats. Over 3 days in an economy seat while also spending a little more money than a 6 hour flight sounds horrible.

But you said get a sleeper car—which makes sense for being on a train for nearly half a week—but those prices are a lot. What is shown in the screensot are not a private room with your own facilities, but simply the Roomette option with a very small bunk bed and no seats unless you move you and your guest's luggage to the top bunk, fold up the bottom bunk, and then fold down the chairs when you're not in bed.

That's a lot of money and starting at considerably higher prices than even flying First Class (as shown below). Even JetBlue's Mint option which lie-flat seats is only $768 for the same trip. Mint is a real treat, BTW.

In conclusion, the only reason why I can imagine someone trying to talk up a fallacy is that 1) they're afraid to fly, 2) they're on a no-fly list for some reason.

watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Xed said:

mayfly
    said:

1) So you're claiming that the baggage handler went though all the luggage and found one with sound equipment that he wanted to steal so then he put the bag on the tarmac  in plain sight of a giant passenger window so he could then come by at a later time to retrieve said bag in order to steal its contents? Um, no.

2) Based on your first paragraph's logic I have doubts that your luggage has actually been lost and stolen that many times. Additionally, an economy seat on a plane is not the same price as a first class sleeper on a train for the same distance of travel. As someone who has travel extensively around the world, US train travel isn't a great bargain.

Additionally, I've also never encountered as many bathroom issues smelling up a sleeper car as I have with Amtrak... which you can google to find a lot of complaints about this unfortunate issue. For me, it's only about 1:20, but 5% of the time is still far too frequently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amtrak/comments/70yyh9/why_does_the_stench_from_the_bathrooms_seem_to/

To do some research for you, here's a cross country trip from SF to NYC. $170 for an economy flight with one stop, or $180 nonstop which will take 6 hours, while the cheapest Amtrak option is $335 and will require being on a bus and getting off at multiple stops to change buses and/or trains. That's nearly half the price for economy and at only 6 hours it can be done with ease in a day.  Have you ever sat on a train for 24 hours straight, no sleeper car? I have, and it's quite uncomfortable even if you are in the nicer Business Class seats. Over 3 days in an economy seat while also spending a little more money than a 6 hour flight sounds horrible.

But you said get a sleeper car—which makes sense for being on a train for nearly half a week—but those prices are a lot. What is shown in the screensot are not a private room with your own facilities, but simply the Roomette option with a very small bunk bed and no seats unless you move you and your guest's luggage to the top bunk, fold up the bottom bunk, and then fold down the chairs when you're not in bed.

That's a lot of money and starting at considerably higher prices than even flying First Class (as shown below). Even JetBlue's Mint option which lie-flat seats is only $768 for the same trip. Mint is a real treat, BTW.

In conclusion, the only reason why I can imagine someone trying to talk up a fallacy is that 1) they're afraid to fly, 2) they're on a no-fly list for some reason.

You've never taken the train, have you? We do it because we prefer it, not because we have to, and the extra time is no inconvenience for us. We'd rather be comfortable and well taken care of for a day, than treated like cattle for 3 or 4 hours. Don't disparage what you don't know.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    mayfly said:
    Xed said:

mayfly
    said:

You've never taken the train, have you? We do it because we prefer it, not because we have to, and the extra time is no inconvenience for us. We'd rather be comfortable and well taken care of for a day, than treated like cattle for 3 or 4 hours. Don't disparage what you don't know.
    1) If you actually read my comment you've see that I've stated that I've traveled by rail extensively, and have clearly backed that up in text.

2) I don't care if you prefer it, you egregiously claimed that "a first class sleeper has 10 times the room of an economy seat on a plane, costs about the same," which I've clearly showed is not the case, which also details which of us has actually traveled extensively via air and rail.

3) If you prefer it—which is a new angle on your comment—that's perfectly fine, as I've known many people who have not only taken the rail because they preferred it due to their fear of flying. I even have some family members that have taken the Auto Train from Lorain, VA to Sanford, FL so they 
    could have their own car with them. It's surprisingly cost effective for that option, even though it's not to the that it would save you on fuel over driving for 12 hours -or- flying down and renting car for your Disney World vacation.

https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-saver-fares

PS: I've traveled by rail enough that I've even looked into buying my own private rail car. Unfortunately the serviceable options for Amtrak aren't extensive enough for my desires... but it's fun option regardless.

https://www.amtrak.com/privately-owned-rail-cars
    edited July 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 20
    3) If you prefer it—which is a new angle on your comment—that's perfectly fine, as I've known many people who have not only taken the rail because they preferred it due to their fear of flying. I even have some family members that have taken the Auto Train from Lorain, VA to Sanford, FL so they could have their own car with them. It's surprisingly cost effective for that option, even though it's not to the that it would save you on fuel over driving for 12 hours -or- flying down and renting car for your Disney World vacation.

https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-saver-fares

PS: I've traveled by rail enough that I've even looked into buying my own private rail car. Unfortunately the serviceable options for Amtrak aren't extensive enough for my needs... but it's neat option regardless.

https://www.amtrak.com/privately-owned-rail-cars
    Well, my wife isn't crazy about flying (but only taking off and landing), I'll grant you that. OTOH, I was born into the USAF, spent 12 years as an AF brat, with a dad who was reassigned at least every 24 months. I joined the USAF in 1970, and after tech school, was deployed to Udorn RTAFB in Thailand, as an Air Operations Apprentice, and flew on C-123 Providers and C-130's spraying Agent Orange on the Ho Chi Minh Trail running through Laos (on the border with Viet Nam) multiple times per week. It's pretty hard to scare me on a plane. This was our welcome sign: