Musk warns Twitter rebrand to X will happen soon

Posted:
in General Discussion

Elon Musk's transformation of Twitter into an "everything app" could take a big turn in the near future, with the rebrand to "X" possibly happening in the very near future.

Musk has been clear in his intentions to move Twitter to become the Western equivalent of China's WeChat, a platform covering retail and other services alongside messaging. Twitter has already been merged into an entity called X Corp, and soon, the name of the app may change to match.

In late night tweets on Saturday, Musk offered some musings to his large follower base. "And soon we shall bid adieu to the Twitter brand and, gradually, all the birds," one tweet states.

It was soon followed up by another, claiming "If a good enough X logo is posted tonight, we'll make [it] go live worldwide tomorrow."

After posting a black worn version of the Twitter logo and commenting "Like this but X," Musk then offered design advice, suggesting "If X is closest in style to anything, it should, of course, be Art Deco."

At 1:44 p.m. Eastern, Musk seemingly accelerated the timeline, revealing the X.com domain points to Twitter, and insisting an "Interim X logo goes live later today."

Musk also pinned a tweet to the top of his feed, showing the Twitter logo changing into an X, complete with glitchy video effects. This could be the new logo for the app.

At the time of publication, Twitter is still named Twitter, the birds are in their normal places, and the App Store still uses the Twitter name for the app listing.

The branding could end up being a good thing for Twitter, as it attempts to raise revenue following attempts to cut costs and numerous controversies. On July 15, Musk declared Twitter was "still negative cash flow," harmed by a 50% drop in advertising revenue and a heavy debt load.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    I asked ChatGPT to write me a limerick about Musk's new "everything app" rhyming with crap.

Here's what it came up with (in less than a second):
    In the world of tech, a great zap,
    Is the new "everything app" on the map
    But it glitched and went snap
    Now it's causing a mishap
    Leaving users to call it pure crap!

No kidding, that is a direct copy and paste!

Here's the haiku version:
    Tech's "everything app,"
    Glitches bring a sudden snap
    Crap, the users clap.

Now for the riddle:
    I'm the tech marvel they sought to create,
    An "everything app," a wonder, first-rate,
    But glitches appeared, sealing my fate,
    Now users find me frustratingly innate,
    In disappointment, they often berate,
    Guess what am I?
    It's your turn to speculate!

darkvaderretrogustoBiCCwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 19
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    The renaming probably a good thing.  It will help to reduce the confusion where people still think Twitter is something even remotely useful any more.
    williamlondonITGUYINSDcpsroAlex_VFileMakerFellerAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 19
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    Honestly, this may ultimately be a service to civilization. Twitter was a cesspool even before Elon Musk accidentally bought it and then immediately went about trying to make the bad parts even worse. 

Despite being a much smaller platform than facebook, Twitter was truly the most effective at amplifying disinformation as well as functioning as a feedback loop where “the narrative” was boiled down for use by “old media.” Often both things were part of the same process. People and nation-states with an agenda would spread disinformation on Twitter, pundits and reporters would share and post while the topic circulated, and finally in place of research and verification, they’d go back to their platforms with a distilled “narrative,” based on little more than “people are saying.”

Even as Musk has made it clear he really wants particularly populist/conservative influencers to lie on Twitter with impunity, he’s really run it into the ground and has dispersed many folks to other platforms, which thus far lack the critical mass to do the same level of damage to the public square that Twitter did. 

Rebranding the whole thing as “X” should finish the job of pushing the whole thing into cultural irrelevance, which is a good thing. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobradarkvaderAlex_VsconosciutoAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 19
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    I hope Twitter/S dies a thousands deaths.  

Or just one.   One will do.  
    watto_cobradarkvadersconosciutoFileMakerFellerAlex1N
  • Reply 5 of 19
    mayfly said:
    I asked ChatGPT to write me a limerick about Musk's new "everything app" rhyming with crap.

Tech's "everything app,"
    Crap, the users clap.

Now for the riddle:
    Guess what am I?

Rather have a Japanese female cell mate. I was at the Edmonton Remand Centre for 18 months too long. ERC for life 2211 631. 
    Little access to any news, 
    but enough to make you amused.

-Limericks aside, staring at five walls because the jail was a pentagon but clean, we kept it clean. Makes you something else.  23 hour lock downs, makes you throw down.  Jail in Canada is Two Years minus one day.  Prison which is Federal and easy is Two years plus one day.  Every one was on the same page: Get Released or Go Federal.  You won't read this anywhere, I totally changed the subject.
    mayflywilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 19
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 39unconfirmed, member
    I think that is a typo.

Its name is soon to be "Ex".
    watto_cobraFileMakerFellerAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,323member

The branding could end up being a good thing for Twitter, as it attempts to raise revenue following attempts to cut costs and numerous controversies. On July 15, Musk declared Twitter was "still negative cash flow," harmed by a 50% drop in advertising revenue and a heavy debt load.

Read on AppleInsider

Yer Nar can't see it working out so well given most the the need to rebrand is from Musk himself generating controversies. He should sell and let the new owners rebrand. 

Unless that is the plan let them debrand as a sign of fixing the mistakes of the elon-era. Would explain why the branding is so "power-bro"
    watto_cobramayflyAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 19
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 516member
    Once rebranded, what will a post be called if not a "tweet"?  Just when I think Musk can't kill Twitter any faster, he proves me wrong.
    watto_cobradarkvaderAlex_VsconosciutoAlex1N
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mattinoz said:

Read on AppleInsider

Yer Nar can't see it working out so well given most the the need to rebrand is from Musk himself generating controversies. He should sell and let the new owners rebrand. 

Unless that is the plan let them debrand as a sign of fixing the mistakes of the elon-era. Would explain why the branding is so "power-bro"
    AppleInsider must have gone nuts from trying to defend the indefensible. Is there ANYONE who hasn't made the connection between a White South African and the "free speech" stance who encourages all white supremacists to spew their racist filth on his platform? Anti-censorship unless you disagree with him.
    darkvaderAlex_VdanoxAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 19
    ilarynxilarynx Posts: 90member
    A quick render of Elon's new "X" logo - 

darkvadermayflyAlex_VsconosciutoFileMakerFellerAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 19
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    The X logo should be Art Deco and messaging should be as facile as a telegram.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 12 of 19
    It’s as if he wants to see how desperate his sycophants are to huff every last fart of his, no matter how rank
    edited July 2023 williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 19
    It’s as if he wants to see how desperate his sycophants are to huff every last fart of his, no matter how rank
    “You must love Big Brother. It is not enough to obey him: you must love him.”
    mayflysconosciutoFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 19
    “You must love Big Brother. It is not enough to obey him: you must love him.”
    And we do. Our love for Big Brother has made billionaires of Bill Gates, Steve Case, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk. They drill into our brains by granting us "anonymity" to indulge in our worst instincts, which would get us punched out in a "face to face" interaction. And we pay them for the privilege.

If that ain't love, what is?
    FileMakerFellerAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 19
    BiCC said:
    mayfly said:

Tech's "everything app,"
    Crap, the users clap.

Now for the riddle:
    Guess what am I?
    Rather have a Japanese female cell mate. I was at the Edmonton Remand Centre for 18 months too long. ERC for life 2211 631. 
    Little access to any news, 
    but enough to make you amused.

-Limericks aside, staring at five walls because the jail was a pentagon but clean, we kept it clean. Makes you something else.  23 hour lock downs, makes you throw down.  Jail in Canada is Two Years minus one day.  Prison which is Federal and easy is Two years plus one day.  Every one was on the same page: Get Released or Go Federal.  You won't read this anywhere, I totally changed the subject.
    Your response is unfathomable to me.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    How long till Musk is living in a blacked out Mexican hotel room storing his urine in jars?
    cg27williamlondonmayflyAlex1N
  • Reply 17 of 19
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    GeeAye said:
    I think that is a typo.

And the former "tweet" will become an "ex-it", ha.
    FileMakerFellerAlex1N
  • Reply 18 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    Elon the gift that keeps giving…….. :blush: 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 19 of 19
    GeeAye said:
    I think that is a typo.

Brilliant!
    Alex1N