Apple Watch Series 9 will get a big speed boost from S9 chip

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2023

The Apple Watch Series 9 and second-generation Apple Watch Ultra should see a considerable increase in performance, with 2023's wearable launches set to have a much better chip powering it.

Apple Watch Ultra
Apple Watch Ultra

Apple's fall release lineup is anticipated to include the Apple Watch Series 9, among other items. For 2023, customers who buy the new models may end up seeing higher levels of performance when using the devices.

In the "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg on Sunday, Mark Gurman writes that Apple's lineup of Apple Watch models will consist of three releases this fall. 41Mm and 45mm Series 9 models are on the way, alongside a second-generation Apple Watch Ultra.

An updated Apple Watch SE isn't expected, due to it apparently being on a two-year upgrade cycle and having last been updated in 2022.

For the new models, Gurman reiterates a previous rumor that there will be a "fairly sizable performance bump" through the use of the S9 processor. While the S7 to S8 update didn't offer the performance boost people tend to expect, Gurman insists it will be the first time since the Series 6 that "significant speed improvements" will be included.

Gurman previously claimed the chip could be based on the A15 Bionic. He has also insisted that the release would include big hardware changes to accompany the release of watchOS 10.

Gurman, also offers a small detail about the original Apple Watch Ultra, as Apple apparently tested a dark titanium version. While it was cancelled because "designers didn't like the appearance," a 2023 revival of the option could still "theoretically" happen.

Read on AppleInsider

tham

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    I hope they leverage the smaller nm for better battery than better performance. Biggest drawback of Apple watch is battery, not performance.
    williamlondonappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    As Dk49 says, better battery would be preferable to better performance. I don't think I've ever waited for anything on my S8.
    edited July 2023
  • Reply 3 of 21
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 112member
    “…didn’t provide the performance boost people tend to expect…” - who actually expects any performance boost in recent Apple Watches?  I’ve been using Apple Watches since the initial model and after the first couple, performance became a non-issue.  Nowadays, the only reason to upgrade is with the introduction of additional sensors - or longer battery life.  Battery and better GPS were the reasons I got the Ultra.

williamlondongatorguyappleinsideruserchasmwatto_cobrahcrefugeedk49dewmeAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 21
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    Why on earth do I need a faster watch? Mine keeps perfect time right now.
    tenthousandthingsjfabula1appleinsideruserwatto_cobrahcrefugeemac daddy zeedewmeAlex1N
  • Reply 5 of 21
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    I don't need a faster watch. I am getting older fast enough.
    tenthousandthingsmayflychasmwatto_cobrahcrefugeemac daddy zeebageljoeydewmejidomobird
  • Reply 6 of 21
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    I need more health sensor and battery boost not speed boost….ariba
    williamlondonwatto_cobramac daddy zee40domidk49Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 21
    jbtuckrjbtuckr Posts: 28member
    It would make sense. WatchOS 10 makes the watch feel more like a standalone device than ever. Every app has major UI and functionality changes that do more than before. Saying all that though, my s7 has no problem with it so battery life being prioritized would be appreciated 
    williamlondonmultimediawatto_cobraiOS_Guy80Alex1N
  • Reply 8 of 21
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    It's about time, they've not improved the CPU since the Series 6. Yes, I'm aware that the current Apple Watch "does not feel slow", but that's not the point. Most people buying an Apple Watch expect it to last for years and rightly so. The better performance is not for today, but for 2-3 years down the line.
    applebynatureentropyswatto_cobraiOS_Guy80Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 138member
    ApplePoor said:
    Hahahahaha, right 
    mayflywatto_cobrajidoAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 21
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    I was very happy with my Series 0 (as it’s now called, by which I mean the OG Watch). I refreshed it with the Series 3 when that came out because I could see a big step up in usefulness.

I jumped to the Series 7 just after the announcement of the Series 8 because of the same reasons + clearance pricing, and was very happy with its additional capabilities.

It seems to me that since watchOS 9, the battery life hasn’t been quite what I’d like it to be, but then I do wear it overnight for sleep tracking. I tend to charge it in shorter spurts (like when having dinner or having a shower), so that could have something to do with it.

Not sure if I’ll jump again when this new one comes out, I think I’ll have to wait on new sensors before I can justify the expense, but overall the Apple Watch was a real game-changer in getting me to take my health more seriously, and for that I am very grateful to Apple.

Bonus, it also tells me the time and my schedule! Sweet! :smiley: 
    designrwatto_cobramac daddy zeeAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 21
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    ApplePoor said:
    Amen, brother!
    mac daddy zeegatorguyAlex1N
  • Reply 12 of 21
    40domi40domi Posts: 68member
    New sensors are needed not additional speed, now that the Samsung s6 has biometric sensors, that and a considerable improvement in battery life, would probably make me upgrade from my s6 ss
    dk49williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    I still get two days of battery life out of my series 6. I don't use the always on feature but never had a problem with battery life. 🤷‍♂️

watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I get great battery life out of my Ultra watch and iPhone 14 Pro Max as I have the screen go dark. It lights up immediately when I touch it for information. Worst day use is 50% when I show I was active 18 hours or more that day.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 21
    My S7 lasted all day with screen off unless in use.
    designrwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 16 of 21
    S7 became the Ultra. I had bought an S8 and then Ultra was released within the time frame to take S8 back.
    edited July 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    I'm still very happy with my Apple Watch Series 5, 44 mm, stainless, GPS + Cellular. The battery still gets me through the day with no problem unless I leave my iPhone behind and do everything I can do on the watch. If the battery becomes an issue I will gladly pay the $79 to get it replaced because the watch is still in spectacular shape. As long as Apple keeps supporting this model I will hang on to it because it's a damn good watch and very good looking.

I do think the latest Apple Watch Ultra is a near perfect watch from a functional standpoint, at least when you consider the limits of currently available battery technology.

One thing I really like about the Ultra is that it comes in one model that has everything I want bundled in for one reasonable price without having to plow through any choices other than the band. When I've spec'd out previous versions with stainless and sapphire I basically ended up paying about the same price as an Ultra. For example, a Series 8 spec'd out with stainless, 45 mm, GPS+Cellular, and sport band is $749.00 USD. The "base model" (and only model) Ultra with an Ocean band is $799.00 USD. In my opinion, the extra $50.00 USD for all of the benefits and features the Ultra offers over the stainless Series 8 is the deal of the decade.

The Series 8 is definitely more elegant and less tech-geeky than the Ultra, but from a feature and performance standpoint the Ultra is a slam dunk. If my Series 5 holds up and perhaps gets a new battery when needed, I'd keep it around even if I buy an Ultra for those times when I don't want to look like I'm heading out to sea for a shark encounter, queuing up for a triathlon, or on my way to a Star Trek convention. 

Maybe Apple could reduce the number of Apple Watch variations to gain some economies in their manufacturing process, and who knows, perhaps pass along some of those savings to buyers even if in the form of avoiding or delaying the inevitable price hikes that are soon coming to an Apple Store near you.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 18 of 21
    More than the a speed bump, the two smaller watches need a design refresh... the look is getting a bit tired. Hopefully they take some details from the Ultra. Thinner would be great too.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 19 of 21
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    I'm still very satisfied with my 44mm Series 4, but I think I'm ready to upgrade if the Series 9 has another round of SoC performance improvement. Will all depend on how heavy the Ultra Series 2 will be.
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 20 of 21
    thamtham Posts: 3member
    I couldn't disagree with everyone on here more.  In fact, its the processor that has kept me from upgrading from my 4.  

I want my watch to do more things.  Yes, battery life is important but that comes with a better, faster, more efficient processor.

My 4 year old Apple Watch works fine right now NOT because the processor is soooo amazing...it's because apple had to "de-feature" it and focus on none processor upgrades over the years because there was simply no space available for the lower NM (5 or 3) chip processing.  You see Apple Watch has a 10nm designed chip...

Basically said, the Apple Watch process is running on iPhone 8 tech.

New Samsung watches are now running on 5nm chips...

To answer your questions...Apple is moving it to the A12 processing (7nm) which will increase speed up to 15% and 50% energy-efficient.

Which would mean the knew watches will be only 35% faster than my five year old Apple watch 4.  

Unless they have a major sensor addition, I'm waiting for 5nm processor.  That should roll with 90% speed bump and a roughly 120% increase in 
    energy-efficiency.
    muthuk_vanalingamdesignrAlex1N