Apple Savings deposits hit $10 billion in just over three months

Posted:
in AAPL Investors
Apple Savings deposits have hit a landmark $10 billion since inception, fueled by holders sweeping Daily Cash into the high-yield savings accounts.

Apple's first savings account for customers
Apple's first savings account for customers

The high-water mark was reached after 107 days of availability, and announced in a release on
Wednesday afternoon. In the release, it was also revealed that 97% of Apple Savings accounts customers were sweeping Daily Cash directly into the savings account.

"With each of the financial products we've introduced, we've sought to reinvent the category with our users' financial health in mind. That was our goal with the launch of Apple Card four years ago, and it remained our guiding principle with the launch of Savings," said Jennifer Bailey, Apple's vice president of Apple Pay and Apple Wallet. "With no fees, no minimum deposits, and no minimum balance requirements, Savings provides an easy way for users to save money every day, and we're thrilled to see the excellent reception from customers both new and existing."

Goldman Sachs appears to be happy about at least this part of their partnership with Apple.

"We are very pleased with the success of the Savings account as we continue to deliver seamless, valuable products to Apple Card customers, with a shared focus on creating a best-in-class customer experience that helps consumers lead healthier financial lives," said Liz Martin, Goldman Sachs's head of Enterprise Partnerships.

But, Goldman Sachs may not be all that happy about Apple Card. A report from January showed that Goldman Sachs posted over $1.2 billion in losses in the first nine months of 2022, driven mainly by loan-loss provisions and the Apple Card. The bank invested the money into building a system to support Apple Card transactions and has still to see a return on its investment.

With no fees, minimum deposits, or balance requirements, Apple Savings can hold cash-back rewards or money transferred from a different bank. Like the Apple Card, Goldman Sachs manages the Savings account and offers a 4.15% APY.

Apple Savings appears after an October 2022 announcement and a silent period until March 2023 when a clause referencing Apple Savings was added to the terms and conditions of the Apple Card. The April 17 launch was discovered when someone inspected the code from Apple's servers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,105member
    I am getting 5.06% on my UFB Money market account. And I didn’t need to damage my credit score by opening up another credit card account. 
    williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,074member
    Hmm… watch out here comes the special interests lobbying to the government pleading you can’t let Apple do that, they are a gatekeeper. :wink: 
    edited August 2023 watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 12
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 289member
    Ease of use is the key phrase. My Daily Cash gets swept into the Apple Savings account every day be it lots of dollars or a few cents depending on my purchase volume the day before.

I do not need to go to the bank in person to deposit the funds. I have no need to chase a tenth of a percent interest by taking money from one bank to another.

I would not put or keep significant funds into this system. Obviously, a $6k laptop requires moving some funds just like any credit card payment and the Apple 3% cash back is over $180 but that is not big money. 
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 12
    One gets their own money back as "cash back" with the Apple Card, thus no income tax on that event. That money is now transferred into the Apple Savings account and earns interest that is income subject to income tax. Income is also sometimes called profit.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 12
    And gold is paying what interest? Still unclear how to take a gold bar in for a steak dinner.....
  • Reply 6 of 12
    iBiC said:
    ApplePoor said:
    And gold is paying what interest? Still unclear how to take a gold bar in for a steak dinner.....

Well, you can still pay with your Debit card for a steak dinner with your honeys, the increase of the gold bar will pay for it.  But imagine paying with a Gold bar.  That's old school.  You would have every Nun in town want to put a ring on you.
    The only thing scammier than a bank is a gold buyer/ reseller. 
    sphericwilliamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 12
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,986member
    And Goldman Sachs wants to dump this loser? I can think of a few ways to make a few bucks on 10 billion under my control. 
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 12
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,617member
    tyler82 said:
    iBiC said:
    ApplePoor said:

Well, you can still pay with your Debit card for a steak dinner with your honeys, the increase of the gold bar will pay for it.  But imagine paying with a Gold bar.  That's old school.  You would have every Nun in town want to put a ring on you.
    Nah, the crypto multi-level marketing guys are even worse. Topped by NFTs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    YP101YP101 Posts: 162member
    And Goldman Sachs wants to dump this loser? I can think of a few ways to make a few bucks on 10 billion under my control. 
    Because GS already have Marcus bank for consumer and give same above 4% interest for saving and CD.
    Only thing interesting was GS profile never deleted even you close the account with them. Only deleted from Marcus bank.
    I guess GS tracking my credit score so when I reopen new CD then GS does not need credit check?

I am pretty happy with AMEX, Marcus, Apple saving and/or CD account for above 4% interest rate.
    These days if you are married you can open you, your wife open saving account separately and joint account for CD gets up to $1 million FDIC insured.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    iBiC said:
    tyler82 said:
    iBiC said:
    ApplePoor said:

Fiat currency ruined everything in terms of how money is made.  The Federal Reserve Act a one page document got rid of Gold.  Most legislation are 50 pages.  One page double sided which was rare for 1913. It changed the world entirely to a degree of evil that is unthinkable. The Federal Reserve is neither Federal nor a Reserve - it is a privately owned company that Prints Money. You cannot make Gold.  You cannot make more Land either, hence Real Property.
    That I agree with. We should have never left the gold standard. Thanks Nixon!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    As of today, there are over 50 accounts/banks paying more than 4.15%.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    As of today, there are over 50 accounts/banks paying more than 4.15%.
    High inflation will do that - unfortunately, even with higher interest earning potential the purchasing value of cash in the bank is still dwindling over time.
    williamlondon