Mazda adds touchscreen support to CarPlay in 2024 CX-5

Posted:
in iOS

Mazda is finally embracing touchscreen tech for its in-car infotainment system, with buyers of the CX-5 specifically getting an easier way to manage Apple CarPlay.

CarPlay in iOS 17
CarPlay in iOS 17

In the majority of in-car infotainment systems that have CarPlay support, touchscreens are the usual way of interacting with it, though alternative methods are also available. In the case of Mazda, which has largely embraced avoiding touchscreen control in favor of a "multi-function commander knob," the car producer is finally changing its mind on the matter.

As part of an update to the Mazda CX-5, the 2024 edition will be getting a number of changes, with a press release spotted by The Autopian briefly mentioning the infotainment system.

According to the release, the vehicle will use a 10.25-inch full-color display with the "latest Mazda Connect infotainment system" that can be controlled with the regular knob. However, it is also "integrated with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto that now feature touchscreen functionality."

Mazda has included CarPlay in its infotainment system for models going as far back as the 2018 Mazda6.

Indeed, it is pointed out by the report that this isn't the first time Mazda has included touchscreen CarPlay support in its vehicles. It has done so on the Mazda CX-50, albeit as a heavily-buried and minimally marketed feature., while the CX-90 offers touchscreen support for phone mirroring but not normal infotainment usage.

Mazda's mentioning of touchscreen CarPlay support in the "latest" edition of its infotainment system could be a good sign for other future models incorporating the feature. While it doesn't eliminate the knob control system, it does at least offer a familiar control scheme that other manufacturers have already embraced.

It's also a sign that car manufacturers are not electing to follow GM's lead and abandon CarPlay in favor of their own in-house systems. That GM move has so far not gone down well with the company's own dealers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 161member
    Navigating CarPlay and most stereo features with a jog dial was a nightmare, which is why I never bought a Mazda.  Liked the car, but not the non-touchscreen.  Must quicker to tap something on screen than to use a jog dial to find something to select.  Told the dealer we would not buy the Mazda because of the lack of touchscreen for easier control of CarPlay and the stereo and walked out.  Nice to see they realize their mistake and going back to a touchscreen.
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    nyteskynytesky Posts: 22member
    I have a 2017 Mazda MX-5 and it has CarPlay with a touch screen. I had to pay Mazda to install CarPlay when it became available in 2018 or 2019. Mazda disables the touch screen when you are moving. If they are embracing touchscreen functionality, I hope I can get an infotainment update so I can use the touchscreen while moving!
    entropyszeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Glad I have a Honda!

When we were looking for a vehicle during the pandemic… NO subways or buses for us, thank you… we arranged the whole lease transaction online.
    Our vehicle was delivered directly to our building. Easy.
    So, our 2020 HR-V had CarPlay. No restrictions like lacking a touchscreen or anything.
    We recently renewed the lease for a 2023 HR-V, the screen is better, but it all works the same. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    nytesky said:
    I have a 2017 Mazda MX-5 and it has CarPlay with a touch screen. I had to pay Mazda to install CarPlay when it became available in 2018 or 2019. Mazda disables the touch screen when you are moving. If they are embracing touchscreen functionality, I hope I can get an infotainment update so I can use the touchscreen while moving!
    Up to 2021 the CX-5 had a touchscreen, but like you said it is disabled when moving. We had one and it was annoying that it was disabled. We got a 2022 and it didn't have any touchscreen (and they removed wireless CarPlay)--what a disappointment. Hopefully they bring back wireless CarPlay too.
    zeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    In general CarPlay is designed to minimize the number of selections on a screen so you're generally not clicking through a ton of options (as opposed to using the AppleTV remote.) I had a 2017 Audi that used a rotary knob and didn't have much of an issue with it there were times when a touch screen would have been more convenient but other times the jog wheel was easier. The jog wheel eliminates the need to reach and if you're on a bumpy road touch screens can be difficult. They also don't work in the winter time with gloves on. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    MJG33MJG33 Posts: 9member
    To clarify (and as one other person pointed out), most Mazdas have touchscreens and you could use touch for CarPlay when the car isn't moving.  It's when moving that the touch would lock out in favor of the jog wheel.  There was benefit to encouraging the knob for reasons like MplsP said with his Audi but I think it's the right move to no longer require the knob when moving.
    zeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I have a 2020 CX-5.  It has a touchscreen. First, it is a lousy touchscreen.  MUCH nicer to use the spinwheel.

Secondly, it is a well-known defect in the CX-5 that the touchscreens fail very early and fixing it involves major surgery to the entire infotainment system.

My daughter has a 2022 CX-5 and the touchscreen is GONE.  It sounds like they decided to delete it pending a redesign. The same thing happened to the CX-9.

Unless they have significantly improved the touchscreen responsiveness this is probably not a win.  Like I said, I have the touchscreen and I never use it because it's so unreliable and it doesn't work when driving anyway.

Carplay can be set up to allow a lot of features (your entire contact list, all your albums in music, and so forth) or you can make it dumb down.  Mazda went full nanny-mode on their Carplay implementation and it is MADDENING. You only get access to three playlists and it's the first 3 in your list. You can't even search through all your contacts. If you put together a lot of guides in Apple Maps you can only get to the first ones.

What do you expect from a car company that forgets to put an OFF function on their goddamn RADIO? Yes, believe it or not, the friggin' radio comes on EVERY TIME YOU START THE CAR. You can only MUTE it, and that mutes EVERYTHING, including Carplay.

Aargh.
    edited August 2023 zeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Graeme000 said:
    nytesky said:
    Up to 2021 the CX-5 had a touchscreen, but like you said it is disabled when moving. We had one and it was annoying that it was disabled. We got a 2022 and it didn't have any touchscreen (and they removed wireless CarPlay)--what a disappointment. Hopefully they bring back wireless CarPlay too.
    Only the 2021 had wireless CarPlay, and only in Canadian cars.  From what I've heard it was *really* laggy, my friend gave up on it and went back to wired. This is probably why it went away.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Our first (and so far only) CarPlay equipped vehicle doesn’t have a touchscreen and must be used with a dial or buttons. At first I was annoyed but quickly became used to using it. 

After owning it for a couple of years we rented a car while on vacation. I was excited to see it had touchscreen CarPlay. It didn’t take me long to realize I like the rotary dial/buttons solution much more. I didn’t like having to reach for the screen and take my eyes off the road longer in order to tap the proper button. In my car I can quickly glance to see what screen element is highlighted then turn the dial with my eyes on the road. The dial provides feedback so I know how far I’ve turned and thus which icon I’m on without having to watch the screen. 

Also, the dial can be clicked to select an icon, it’s not like I have to fumble around touching different things to operate CarPlay. There are also controls on either side of the steering wheel I can use to navigate the interface, but I prefer the dial. 

That said, I’m not the least bit surprised to see the results of a study like this suggesting that hardware controls like buttons and knobs seem to be better than touchscreens for controlling things in a car. 

edited August 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I'm constantly trying to touch the screen on my non-touchscreen car... just from habit (using phones/tablets/other cars)  the jog-dial/button is a pain in the a$$ compared to just touching the screen.  I can't believe car manufacturers thought that was a "better" idea. I will never make that mistake again.
    zeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    dpkrohdpkroh Posts: 37member
    Major Mazda fan here in Canada.  Have owned a 2018 Mazda 3 sport GT, 2018 CX-5 GT (premium plus) 2020 CX-30 GS (preferred), 2021 and 2023 CX-30 GTs, and a 2022 Mazda3 GT sedan.  I have always hated and disagreed with Mazda’s former intransigence on touchscreen for CarPlay.  Not enough to stop me from purchasing the cars obviously.

Touchscreen functionality upgrades for CarPlay are not limited to the 2024 CX-5.  It is also coming to the 2024 Mazda 3 sedan and hatchback, and to the 2024 Mazda CX-30.  Wireless CarPlay and wireless charging are also coming to top trims of all these models.  All models are also finally getting USB-C ports, instead of just USB-A.  Top trims of the Mazda 3 and CX-30 will also get larger 10.5 inch screens, while lower models continue with the original 8.9 inch screens.

The CX-50 and CX-90 already have wireless charging, wireless CarPlay, and CarPlay touch screen functionality.  With the CX-9 gone after the 2023 MY, that leaves the yet unannounced 2024 MX-5 Miata as the only Mazda model not yet confirmed to finally have touchscreen and wireless functionality available for Carplay.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    "Multifunction Commander Knob" is going to end up as a nickname for ... er, something ... :lol: 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    chasm said:
    "Multifunction Commander Knob" is going to end up as a nickname for ... er, something ... :lol: 
    My first thought was that there are plenty of people in the military who would make use of it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I always lauded Mazda for doing the right thing, not allowing people to fumble with their touchscreens while driving. And I hate that people don't understand how important this is for safety.. it feels like talking to people about the effects of smoking in the 50s.. Anyway, Mazda is awesome, even if they caved in to fans of stupid tappity touchity screens.