Rival leaker claims new USB-C image the 'real deal'

Posted:
in iPhone

Following a dubious leak of an image showing USB-C charging components for the iPhone 15 range, another leaker has produced an image that appears more likely to be accurate.

USB-C has been wished for on the iPhone for years, perhaps ever since it appeared on the iPad, and now it looks like pressure from the EU is going to make it happen. Earlier today, two leakers produced images of what were claimed to be the USB-C components for some of the iPhone 15 range.

However, that report noted that one of the two apparent leakers had a particularly bad reputation for faking leaks. Subsequently a more credible leaker known as Unknownz21 suggested that the images were fake.

However, Unknownz21 also says that a further image leaked by Kosutami is accurate.

Upon closer inspection - key details match up perfectly, this looks to be the real deal. https://t.co/HFTc6DLDJv

-- Unknownz21 (@URedditor)

Kosutami does not have a strong record in leaks, having chiefly reported before on colors Apple considered but rejected. However, the leaker does appear to have access to Design Validation Test models.

The iPhone 15 range with its expected USB-C charging port replacing Lightning, is due to be launched in September.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    Of course the iPhone 15 will have USB-C! So will the next AirPods. In fact, the Apple Watch 7 and up chargers already have a USB-C connector. Why wouldn't they save millions of dollars dropping that proprietary lightning connector on just one device?
    bala1234darkvaderAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 152member
    Iphone is the only usb-c holdup??
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 19
    XedXed Posts: 2,806member
    I’ll be surprised if it’s still Lightning when announced in Sept.
    williamlondondarkvaderAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,236member
    Whoop De Doo……..
  • Reply 5 of 19
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,039member
    The iPhone 15 Pro rumor mill has been more like a satire of rumors in which THE most inconsequential things get "LEAKED!!!" and buzzed about. Here we have "leaked photos" of what USB-C -- a port first introduced almost ten years ago -- will look like on an iPhone!!! Wow, amazing. But are the pics real? Are they not? Who cares?! Either way, this IS how it will look to the surprise of no one. Then we have bezels that will be a couple of millimeters thinner! OMG! Really? No way! So much for innovation this year!
    unbeliever2williamlondondarkvaderAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 19
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 654member
    mayfly said:
    Of course the iPhone 15 will have USB-C! So will the next AirPods. In fact, the Apple Watch 7 and up chargers already have a USB-C connector. Why wouldn't they save millions of dollars dropping that proprietary lightning connector on just one device?
    Because it is a better connector and they get a fee for certification on every cable sold. 
    mayflywilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 19
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,717member
    More pictures of iPhone buttholes…
    williamlondondarkvaderAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 19
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    jimh2 said:
    mayfly said:
    Because it is a better connector and they get a fee for certification on every cable sold. 
    Good point on the certification fees, but please provide the empirical metrics proving Lightning is better than USB-C.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mayfly said:
    jimh2 said:
    mayfly said:
    Good point on the certification fees, but please provide the empirical metrics proving Lightning is better than USB-C.

I’d be curious to know if there are any metrics to prove whether one connector is better than the other.

To me, the Lightning connector looks like it would be better. It’s simpler, and more compact. I’m not crazy about that internal “paddle” on the USB-C. The Lightning connector body may not be as strong as the USB-C, but this might be an advantage in a smaller device like a phone, where if the cable gets flexed too far, it seems like the smaller Lightning “plug” is likely to break off, whereas the thicker USB-C would more likely stay intact and transfer the stress to the connector receptacle inside the phone chassis, damaging that part (and possibly the chassis as well).

Either way, a big issue with both types is the quality of the cable strain relief behind the connector body. This seems to be the most common point of failure with any charging cable. It doesn’t seem like the quality of this component is a part of any connector spec, since it varies so much.

Alex1NMplsP
  • Reply 10 of 19
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Should have happened years ago.  USB-C is superior to Lightning in every way.
    williamlondonneoncat
  • Reply 11 of 19
    chelinchelin Posts: 115member
    This would be enough for me to break my 3 year upgrade cadence. Traveling for about 60% of my time and every other device is usb-c with the exception of my iPhone and AirPod Max (hoping they fix that too🙏) and of course Apple’s Watch and MagSafe charger. 
    Constantly having to have 3 usb-c to lightning cables when I travel. The lightning connector have a much more finite lifetime. I find that it usually wears down after 4-6 months and I have to have a spare, just in case. 
    I’ve had the same iPad usb-c cable since 2018, no issues with it at all and it works in my GoPro, Drone, battery pack… 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 19
    XedXed Posts: 2,806member
    chelin said:
    This would be enough for me to break my 3 year upgrade cadence. Traveling for about 60% of my time and every other device is usb-c with the exception of my iPhone and AirPod Max (hoping they fix that too🙏) and of course Apple’s Watch and MagSafe charger. 
    Constantly having to have 3 usb-c to lightning cables when I travel. The lightning connector have a much more finite lifetime. I find that it usually wears down after 4-6 months and I have to have a spare, just in case. 
    I’ve had the same iPad usb-c cable since 2018, no issues with it at all and it works in my GoPro, Drone, battery pack… 
    Why do you need 3 USG-C-to-Lightning cables when you travel? I you need to travel with multiple cables how does the device switching to USB-C so you can use a USB-C-to-USB-C cable change that?

For me, I will be able to carry one less cable if U had an iPhone and AirPods Pro with USB-C because I only need a single USB-C-to-Lighnting cable for my iPhone and headphones (not 3), and since I already carry USB-C-to-USB-C to charge my Mac I could carry just 2 cables (the other being for my Apple Watch, and hopefully the iPhone will eventually be able to charge my Watch and AirPods with inductive charging)
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,987member
    darkvader said:
    Physically lightning is superior. The monomorphic design is more robust vs the coaxial design of usb c and the detents provide a more secure connection for the plug. 
    williamlondoncommentzillaroundaboutnow
  • Reply 14 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,987member
    Didn’t Phil Schiller say “USC C is the future” back in 2015? Here we are 8 years later. It would seem Apple is living in the past. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mayfly said:
    How would dropping the "proprietary lightning connector" Apple invented save them any money? On the other hand, redesigning and retooling the iPhone for manufacturing certainly did cost them quite a bit of money, and then of course additional training and documentation worldwide for repairs comes with a cost too.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    MplsP said:
    Didn’t Phil Schiller say “USC C is the future” back in 2015? Here we are 8 years later. It would seem Apple is living in the past. 
    He was talking about the Mac not the iPhone. 

Announced earlier this week, Apple’s amazingly thin, new Macbook has made a lot of noise. And perhaps the loudest sounds were the groans over the two-pound notebook’s singular port, which supplies all the power and peripheral connectivity that the 12-inch laptop requires.

https://time.com/3745070/usb-c-macbook/

When Phil Schiller introduced the Lightning connector at the unveiling of the iPhone 5 in September 2012, he called it "a modern connector for the next decade," and with that 10-year mark coming up later this year, questions remain over what the future of the ‌iPhone‌ looks like and whether or not that future will include a Lightning port, or perhaps no port at all.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/02/28/lightning-port-nearing-expiration-whats-next/

• Reply 17 of 19
    darkvader said:
    Superior in ways that don't matter much at all on an iPhone. Technically, the Lightning connector is USB and it has a USB-C connector on the opposite end from the Lightning connector.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    mayfly said:
    jimh2 said:
    mayfly said:

The only function I use my iPhone cable for is charging, so breakage is my only concern. Here are your metrics.

"In our testing we found that the strength of each type of connector is similar. Lightning cables handle tip breakage better than their USB-C counterparts. The male connector needs to be removed from the iPhone's port, and after that it's good to go. When a USB-C tip breaks there is a 57 percent chance its inner connectors will be damaged before the outside metal tip. It can't connect to a port in that instance."

Lightning versus USB-C: Pros and cons for the iPhone

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/06/13/lightning-versus-usb-c-pros-and-cons-for-the-iphone
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 19 of 19
    We soon see