USB-C in iPhone 15 is all but certain as more components surface

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2023

Leakers seem to definitely like the USB-C connector on the iPhone 15 range, as now a third set of images purporting to show its components has been leaked.

This change is so certain that Apple is going to struggle to make its switch from Lightning to USB-C charging port seem like a big deal when it launches the iPhone 15 range. Law changes in the European Union and to a lesser extent now Saudi Arabia too, mean that Apple will be forced to switch to USB-C and the only doubt has been about how soon.

Given that the most likely answer is with the forthcoming iPhone 15 range, it follows that the supply chain would be producing the components now. Consequently, we've had one leak that was apparently fake, one that appears more certain, and now a new one that comes in the middle of this Goldilocks sequence.

Regular leaker Majin Bu on X/Twitter, is now showing a sequence of seven images that are purportedly components from the iPhone 15 Plus. Two are a front and back overview of the entire component assembly, while the remaining are extreme closeups of USB-C connectors, or identifying labels.

iPhone15 Plus USB C connector detail pic.twitter.com/J0nDO7WPeU

-- Majin Bu (@MajinBuOfficial)

"You can see the packaged chip on the iPhone 15 series," writes the leaker later in the thread. "The model is 3LD3."

"Because it is a self-designed chip, the function cannot be judged by the model," continues the leaker. "Judging from the same type of plastic packaged chips in the past, it may be the setting of transmission encryption."

Majin Bu has a long reputation for leaks where he or she is republishing images from other sources without any credit. It's consequently hard to establish any authority for the leaks, until Apple releases the product and it can be compared to the claims.

This leaker has been right before, and has also been wrong.

It's long been rumored that Apple either will or just should move to USB-C for its speed and interoperability benefits, regardless of any international laws. But there will surely be some rather more exciting updates, especially if it's true that Apple is considering raising the price for the iPhone 15 Pro Max at least.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,059member
    "Law changes in the European Union and to a lesser extent now Saudi Arabia too, mean that Apple will be forced to switch to USB-C and the only doubt has been about how soon."

Geez, this has never been in doubt. Sure, the law doesn't take effect until 2024, but If Apple didn't make the the switch to USB-C this year on the 15, then it wouldn't have been able to offer the 15 in Europe as a cheaper carryover model next year when the iPhone 16 debuts. And these "leaked" photos of what the USB-C port looks like are inane. It looks like the same port we've seen for almost a decade since it debuted in 2014. This USB-C "news" really reeks of desperation for SOMETHING to talk about when it comes to iPhone 15.

A far more interesting take on Apple and USB-C can be found over on Macworld, with an article that delves into how iPhone's transition to USB-C won't solve Apple's Lightning mess, with so many current products STILL using the 11-year-old connector, thereby guaranteeing that we'lll need to keep Lightning cables around for years to come. 
    williamlondonAlex1NSkepticalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 154member
    charlesn said:
    "Law changes in the European Union and to a lesser extent now Saudi Arabia too, mean that Apple will be forced to switch to USB-C and the only doubt has been about how soon."

Geez, this has never been in doubt. Sure, the law doesn't take effect until 2024, but If Apple didn't make the the switch to USB-C this year on the 15, then it wouldn't have been able to offer the 15 in Europe as a cheaper carryover model next year when the iPhone 16 debuts. And these "leaked" photos of what the USB-C port looks like are inane. It looks like the same port we've seen for almost a decade since it debuted in 2014. This USB-C "news" really reeks of desperation for SOMETHING to talk about when it comes to iPhone 15.

A far more interesting take on Apple and USB-C can be found over on Macworld, with an article that delves into how iPhone's transition to USB-C won't solve Apple's Lightning mess, with so many current products STILL using the 11-year-old connector, thereby guaranteeing that we'lll need to keep Lightning cables around for years to come. 
    Of course, a lot of Apple products w lightning connectivity will be around for a long time. USB-C are now mostly on new Apple products so the Hares cannot hold up any longer. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    Is there anyone left who doubts that USB-C is replacing Lightning in every Apple device?
    fred1grandact73Alex1Ndarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,130member
    charlesn said:

Indeed. I'm looking at the magic mouse in my hand as I type this.

One rumor over at BGR indicated the 2 products referenced in new tvOS code might be iPhone 14s with USB-C that Apple will keep in the lineup like they have done in the past.
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,153member
    It has never been a question of "if", it has only been a question of "when".

Unlike Apple's previous transition from the 30-pin Dock Connector to the current Lightning proprietary connector, this transition to USB-C is toward a connector standard that is widely adopted already, not just in Apple devices. Lord knows I already have a bunch of devices that feature USB-C ports, both for data and power.

There should be no surprise as Apple already started transitioning to USB-C in iPads a couple of years ago (the 6th generation iPad mini is one example that comes to mind).

Macs -- both desktop and notebook -- have featured USB-C/Thunderbolt ports for years.

It has been a long time coming. It'll be nice to eventually pare down my travel bag from the myriad variety of cords to a simpler selection.
    edited August 2023 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    riverkoriverko Posts: 241member
    Sad thing is that the only standard is the physical appearance of the connector. Otherwise it is a mess… Example from non-Apple world. A friend of mine has a One Plus phone that supports 75 W charging. BUT only with original One Plus charger. Connect it to any 100 W laptop charger with USB-C connector and you charge with 15 W only… so much for the ‘standard’ thing…
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,321member
    riverko said:
    Sad thing is that the only standard is the physical appearance of the connector. Otherwise it is a mess… Example from non-Apple world. A friend of mine has a One Plus phone that supports 75 W charging. BUT only with original One Plus charger. Connect it to any 100 W laptop charger with USB-C connector and you charge with 15 W only… so much for the ‘standard’ thing…

I think this is why Apple has held off for so long... (aside from staying unique, and the cash cow)... because they know that USB is not always USB.

But maybe with them being in the ring full-time, it will help to weed out the cheap, less-than-standard, and possibly dangerous ⚠️ USB cables and adapters.

Thankfully, in my experience, USB-C has been 99% awesome.
    edited August 2023 williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I would think that if they implement it on the Pro models as Thunderbolt that it would be a selling feature.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    riverko said:
    It can't be a mess if the charging is universal and works. 

The One Plus is probably using VOOC or Super VOOC charging which is proprietary (but licenced to other manufacturers). That's why it requires an One Plus original charger and cable to charge at it's highest speed.

The exact same thing happens with Huawei Supercharge. There are dedicated charging chips in the chargers, devices and cables which enable super fast charging. 

The charger and cable are USB-C compliant though and will charge anything that complies with USB charging. 

Yes, there are different combinations (cable, device, charger) which will impact charging speeds but the EU directive includes provisions for adequate labelling. 

The directive also makes clear reference to faster USB-C charging speeds for inclusion later on. 

The whole point of a 'common' charger requirements is for the solution to be 'common'. 

Lightning doesn't fit into the picture. 

Alex1Ndarkvader
  • Reply 10 of 11
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 946member
    As long as it’s compatible with my iPad 12.9 so I’m down to one for both I’ll be fine. Though as my Apple MagSafe is Lightning, still one more. 

Alex1N
  • Reply 11 of 11
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 946member
    Otoh my chargers for my recent iPhones have all been USB-C. It’s just the cable is USB-C to Lightning. 
    watto_cobra