Three iPhone 15 models rumored to get Thunderbolt/USB4 connector

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,090member
    mayfly said:
    "This suggests that multiple models within the iPhone 15 series will support Thunderbolt/USB4's high-speed 40Gbps data transmission,"

What are people doing on their iPhones that would benefit from 40Gbps data transmission bandwidth?
    Do you want Apple to offer the slower speed? Will that be the new EU complaint?
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 22 of 48
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,090member
    mike1 said:
    charlesn said:
    Finally an iPhone 15 leak that, if true, would make an upgrade worthwhile. And if you're wondering why Thunderbolt speed would matter that much, you're obviously not a pro using your iPhone Pro for high-rez videography and photography. The slow transfer speeds with Lightning are a real pain point. You may not mind as a hobbyist who does it once in a while, but when it's a bottleneck on a daily basis, it gets more than a little frustrating. 

I may be wrong, but I don't believe the Lightning connector itself was the limiting factor to inclusion of Thunderbolt transfer speeds.
    I would guess the speed of the smartphone SOC, and maybe some of the other chip components power requirements/cost for something that is the size of a smartphone?
    edited August 2023 tmayAlex1N
  • Reply 23 of 48
    mayfly said:
    mayfly said:
    "This suggests that multiple models within the iPhone 15 series will support Thunderbolt/USB4's high-speed 40Gbps data transmission,"

What are people doing on their iPhones that would benefit from 40Gbps data transmission bandwidth?
    Transferring 4K videos taken using iPhones to their Macs?
    LOL!! You could do that at 20Gbps. Or 10. Or 1. It would give you more time to think whether that 4K video is worth the drive space!
    So you're saying that we should be content with abysmally slow transfer speeds because (checks notes) it gives us time to think about our choices?

So you're saying that we should be happy that transfer speeds are really bad, and this is a good thing that we should not want improved? Is that what you're saying? 

Is your desire to defend a tech company's choices as perfect strong enough to make you think this is reasonable?
    edited August 2023 muthuk_vanalingamdrdavidAlex1Nchelin
  • Reply 24 of 48
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,304member
    mayfly said:

Transferring 4K videos taken using iPhones to their Macs?
    What about the majority of iPhone users who could care less about transferring 4K videos and the like. For us, this update is minimal.
    edited August 2023 williamlondonrezwitsdewme
  • Reply 25 of 48
    daveflash said:
    this to me points to only one thing: Apple finally taking the EU seriously for once and also taking their previous letter of complaint that "any artificial (software) limitations the common port" are "not in line with the regulation" to heart. thus acting accordingly, so my suspicion is that all iPhone 15's will have fast data transfer and fast charging / power delivery / quick charge etc.

In the end this is better for the user, and in the long run better for the planet.
    If only USA could catch up to the laws and regulations of the EU on these things....
    While I prefer everything to be USB-C the EU completely misfired on this. The problem is less about the cable which was already consolidated around two standards, USB-C and Lighting (which is USB-C already), than the power brick. The biggest waste is the "power brick" not the cable probably by a factor of 100x. A problem Apple has already solve by making the power brick USB-C, which means the "brick" can power or charge any USB device regardless of if it's USB-A, USB-B, USB-C or any other flavor of USB connector. Technically, I could use an iPhone power brick to charge a MacBook Pro. No, it won't charge fast or even be enough to keep the computer charged under moderate use, but it's universal, that's the key. All these old "folks" run government are so stupid and lost when it comes to technology. I'm in my late 50's so by "old folks" I mean 70, 80 and 90 year olds.
    edited August 2023 mike1entropysAlex1N
  • Reply 26 of 48
    bluefire1 said:
    What about the majority of iPhone users who could care less about transferring 4K videos and the like. For us, this update is minimal.

Minimal for you. Massive for others. Who's opinion is more valid?
    edited August 2023 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonAlex1Nbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 27 of 48
    I use my 10Gb ethernet to USB C adapter to upgrade and transfer files to and from my M2 11" iPad and v6 iPad mini, both of which now have USB C ports.
    edited August 2023 mulasienAlex1N
  • Reply 28 of 48
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,523member
    The transition to USB-C for device charging should not be significantly different or any more painful than the transition from the 30-pin connector to Lightning. It’s not a big deal. 

Gaining Thunderbolt 4 capabilities in the iPhone is a bigger deal. Cables that support 40 Gbps, especially certified ones, are definitely more expensive than Lightning cables but hopefully the cable costs will come down with greater volume and competition. The data transfer benefits alone are obviously a big deal for some users and a total ho-hum for others. 

My hope is that making a high bandwidth connection available on all iPhones and all iPads will open up new applications and capabilities that involve tethering an iPhone or iPad to other devices and equipment, including Mac computers, AR headsets, medical equipment, scientific instruments, test equipment, video and audio production equipment, etc. A lot of this is already possible and even being done with Lighting connections, e.g., logic analyzer, oscilloscopes, etc., but having a much higher connection could expand the scope of possibilities considerably. 

tmay
  • Reply 29 of 48
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,382member
    How long till I can one of these but with an iPhone or iPad slot to use the M3 and above in them as a Mac?

Maybe the MacBook one is better?

dewme
  • Reply 30 of 48
    jfabula1jfabula1 Posts: 139member
    mayfly said:

Other than charging? Haven’t used cable for data transfers for yearssssss
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 48
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,122member
    mike1 said:
    In the end this is better for the user, and in the long run better for the planet.
    If only USA could catch up to the laws and regulations of the EU on these things....

Oh, please! This requirement by the EU is not "better for the planet". In fact, it will generate a lot more e-waste as all those lightning and other types of cables now become garbage. In addition, people will need to buy additional new cables and chargers resulting in even more unnecessary use of resources and waste.

The last thing we need is US politicians managing the evolution of technical advancements. Can't wait until something faster/smaller/better is developed that nobody in Europe can use because it will take a decade for the EU technocrats to allow it's use.

More e-waste at first, perhaps. But then people will be able to use one cable (including the one that comes with every device) for all their devices. As for “people will need to buy additional new cables”, why? One is included with every device. As it stands, by needing more than one type of cable, people will have to buy a new one if the one they have is damaged or lost. If all devices use the same cable, no new one is needed. 
  • Reply 32 of 48
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 929member
    mike1 said:
    charlesn said:
    Finally an iPhone 15 leak that, if true, would make an upgrade worthwhile. And if you're wondering why Thunderbolt speed would matter that much, you're obviously not a pro using your iPhone Pro for high-rez videography and photography. The slow transfer speeds with Lightning are a real pain point. You may not mind as a hobbyist who does it once in a while, but when it's a bottleneck on a daily basis, it gets more than a little frustrating. 

I may be wrong, but I don't believe the Lightning connector itself was the limiting factor to inclusion of Thunderbolt transfer speeds.
    It may not be the connector, per se, but the overall Lightning protocol. If Thunderbolt speeds over Lightning were possible, it would have been great to introduce it on the iPhone 14 Pro, where it could have speeded transfers of 4K video and batches of 48MP photo files. For "pros," that's a difference that makes a real difference. What I am sure about is that Thunderbolt speeds have never been available over Lightning, only USB-C. 
  • Reply 33 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,328member
    fred1 said:
    mike1 said:

Oh, please! This requirement by the EU is not "better for the planet". In fact, it will generate a lot more e-waste as all those lightning and other types of cables now become garbage. In addition, people will need to buy additional new cables and chargers resulting in even more unnecessary use of resources and waste.

The last thing we need is US politicians managing the evolution of technical advancements. Can't wait until something faster/smaller/better is developed that nobody in Europe can use because it will take a decade for the EU technocrats to allow it's use.

More e-waste at first, perhaps. But then people will be able to use one cable (including the one that comes with every device) for all their devices. As for “people will need to buy additional new cables”, why? One is included with every device. As it stands, by needing more than one type of cable, people will have to buy a new one if the one they have is damaged or lost. If all devices use the same cable, no new one is needed. 
    Maybe a cable is included with the new device. If I buy a new iPhone that comes with one cable, I will need to buy at least three more to be able to charge where I may need to, office desk, briefcase for when I'm on the road and car. Not to mention just having a cable in another room, just for convenience for me, my wife or guests.That's at least 2-3 more cables just to start. A wireless charger may be more universal, but the inability to use the phone while charging is problematic for me. Yes, so after I buy my third or fourth device, I would have enough cables.

I'm not against change when there is a benefit (e.g. 30-pin to Lightning), and there may be some technical benefit to USB-C but a change for change's sake because technocrats think it's better, is just wrong. I'm also curious as to the durability because the connectors that PCs are using seem to be a major fail point.

• Reply 34 of 48
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    iPhone 15 with USB-C TH connector, dynamic island across all models, internal hardware upgrade, all of this worth to upgrade. iPhone 13 was good to everyone in family. Now after 2 years, time for iPhone 15.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,122member
    mike1 said:
    fred1 said:
    mike1 said:

Maybe a cable is included with the new device. If I buy a new iPhone that comes with one cable, I will need to buy at least three more to be able to charge where I may need to, office desk, briefcase for when I'm on the road and car. Not to mention just having a cable in another room, just for convenience for me, my wife or guests.That's at least 2-3 more cables just to start. A wireless charger may be more universal, but the inability to use the phone while charging is problematic for me. Yes, so after I buy my third or fourth device, I would have enough cables.

I'm not against change when there is a benefit (e.g. 30-pin to Lightning), and there may be some technical benefit to USB-C but a change for change's sake because technocrats think it's better, is just wrong. I'm also curious as to the durability because the connectors that PCs are using seem to be a major fail point.

The obvious solution is to keep a cable with the device you want to charge rather than having one in each place you may want to charge that device, but I can’t speak to your lifestyle and preferences. 
  • Reply 36 of 48
    At older ages, having a pair of glasses in every room becomes the norm as we "forget" where we left them. Same with cables.....
    dewme
  • Reply 37 of 48
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,523member
    ApplePoor said:
    At older ages, having a pair of glasses in every room becomes the norm as we "forget" where we left them. Same with cables.....
    It’s nice to know I’m not alone. One thing I’ve started doing is using a strap to keep the readers around my neck. Nothing says “I’m old as dirt” than reading glasses on a strap. Adult diapers can’t be far behind. 

But it is what it is. So to kill two or three birds with one stone I propose that we find someone to make a charging cable that has USB-A and USB-C on one end, USB-C, Lightning, and Micro USB connections on the other … and loops to slide over your reading glasses on both ends. Problem solved! 

No more stumbling around like Frankenstein’s monster looking for glasses so you can subsequently dig through your box-o-cables looking for the right goeszinta+goesoutta combo, everything you need will be ready at all times - hanging around your neck. Unless you forget to hang the wonder strap on your neck every morning. Nothing is perfect. 
    muthuk_vanalingamfred1
  • Reply 38 of 48
    BlrzzBlrzz Posts: 2member
    With secure enclave and very fast storage, I could see this as a way to synchronize between machines when working at home and an office for a lot of professionals. Really it could even be a way for executives at early stage companies to essentially carry their company around, whether they are at coworking spaces where machines are used by a lot of strangers, or when they are demoing to investors.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    BGnATCBGnATC Posts: 30member
    I love the idea of faster transfer speeds and of course, there’s an obvious convenience to having all my devices using the same port. I do think, however, that the idea that this regulation somehow benefits the planet is a total f**king lie, and it really bothers me that this is one of its “selling points”. Every device is still going to come with a cable, and while we may need to buy fewer replacement cables I think that any estimates on waste reduction are probably greatly exaggerated. 

I think it is the right move, but that it was also pushed by legislators who don’t understand technology who were desperate to have a political accomplishment of some kind, and that it sets a crappy precedent. 
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Once again Apple is hyping something that doesn't really benefit their average customer who isn't transfers large files.   All those user get is a spec' they can point at try to convince themselves they need, or want just to brag about something they don't use.     It like the M-series chip once you have a one the performance benefit of the later versions only benefit people doing real  production level work the average user has hit the point of diminishing returns with first M-series chip device.    This is why Apple is catering to people working in video their the one doing film and TV work that involved time consuming projects. so even a small bump in performance buys them time when viewed from the project basis.   

williamlondon