Three iPhone 15 models rumored to get Thunderbolt/USB4 connector

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    Eric_WVGG said:

If Apple again produces four models of iPhone, it's hard to see one that warrant failing to have the speed. 

There’s a very easy explanation for this: There will be an iPhone Ultra. 

The bit about the “periscope camera only being on the Pro Max” convinced me, putting it on the one model but not the other would just be too contradictory to their established strategy. Ultra makes way more sense.

And that’s why there’s three Thunderbolt connectors, there’s three top tier phones. (Now if they would just augment the bottom tier by bringing back the Mini…)
    Definitely — Pro/Max/Ultra will get the faster port, just like they differentiate their MacBooks and iPads.  

Anyone who thinks Apple scrambled to change their product strategy because of the EU is a fool.  They make product roadmaps many years in advance, and this was most certainly planned out to happen this year regardless of whatever the EU clowns demand.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 42 of 48
    chelinchelin Posts: 115member
    bluefire1 said:
    mayfly said:
    "This suggests that multiple models within the iPhone 15 series will support Thunderbolt/USB4's high-speed 40Gbps data transmission,"

What are people doing on their iPhones that would benefit from 40Gbps data transmission bandwidth?
    Transferring 4K videos taken using iPhones to their Macs?
    What about the majority of iPhone users who could care less about transferring 4K videos and the like. For us, this update is minimal.
    Then why do you care?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 43 of 48
    I agree that USB-C with Thunderbolt would be good thing to have - but I don't agree with the EU on all issues.

Specifically, I think the EC is getting too big for its britches, and mandating things like replaceable batteries and message protocols waayyy oversteps the bounds of their authority - and threatening world-wide revenues is a Chinese Communist Party kind of tactic … they aren't the kings of the world, after all.

They also aren't engineers, and the ramifications of things like replaceable batteries can serious compromise battery life and features like inductive charging.

Once you mandate replaceable batteries, you create a situation where the replaceable battery needs to have sufficient stiffness so that carrying one in your pocket won't produce a fire hazard - and that means thickening the casing around the battery making the phone much thicker when the battery is inserted into the phone and the cover closed. It also endangers things like waterproofing of the device.

I think that Apple and other phone manufacturers may soon be forced to make a global phone and a regulator phone - one model optimized for performance and the other compromised so it can be sold in all markets. The regulator device can forego things like MagSafe, can be thicker and heavier, be released later, and maybe be more expensive. Things like a periscope camera may have to be scrapped to allow room for the internal battery compartment, and according to local laws may ship without iMessage (though it could be downloaded from the app store).

Amazing how the EC and others think they can regulate devices neither manufactured nor designed within the EU. It would be the greatest travesty to let them have the authority to dictate what devices sold outside of the EU need to be like.
    danox
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Eric_WVGG said:

If Apple again produces four models of iPhone, it's hard to see one that warrant failing to have the speed. 

There’s a very easy explanation for this: There will be an iPhone Ultra. 

The bit about the “periscope camera only being on the Pro Max” convinced me, putting it on the one model but not the other would just be too contradictory to their established strategy. Ultra makes way more sense.

And that’s why there’s three Thunderbolt connectors, there’s three top tier phones. (Now if they would just augment the bottom tier by bringing back the Mini…)

I remember when they introduced the 10. It was a model that was a size in between the 8 and 8+ and had the face id, oled screen, and new camera. You might be right why put thunderbolt on 3 of the 4 iphones? An ultra in a new size, titanium frame, and new periscope camera. Price it $100-$200 more than the 15 pro and it will sell very well. 

• Reply 45 of 48
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,309member
    chelin said:
    bluefire1 said:
    mayfly said:
    "This suggests that multiple models within the iPhone 15 series will support Thunderbolt/USB4's high-speed 40Gbps data transmission,"

What are people doing on their iPhones that would benefit from 40Gbps data transmission bandwidth?
    Transferring 4K videos taken using iPhones to their Macs?
    What about the majority of iPhone users who could care less about transferring 4K videos and the like. For us, this update is minimal.
    Then why do you care?
    Because as someone who likes to purchase a new iPhone annually, I’d like to get my money’s worth, rather then just a speed bump and USB-C. I’ll feel differently if the Pro model-not just the Max/Ultra line- has the periscope lens.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 46 of 48
    fred1 said:
    mike1 said:
    In the end this is better for the user, and in the long run better for the planet.
    If only USA could catch up to the laws and regulations of the EU on these things....

Oh, please! This requirement by the EU is not "better for the planet". In fact, it will generate a lot more e-waste as all those lightning and other types of cables now become garbage. In addition, people will need to buy additional new cables and chargers resulting in even more unnecessary use of resources and waste.

The last thing we need is US politicians managing the evolution of technical advancements. Can't wait until something faster/smaller/better is developed that nobody in Europe can use because it will take a decade for the EU technocrats to allow it's use.

More e-waste at first, perhaps. But then people will be able to use one cable (including the one that comes with every device) for all their devices. As for “people will need to buy additional new cables”, why? One is included with every device. As it stands, by needing more than one type of cable, people will have to buy a new one if the one they have is damaged or lost. If all devices use the same cable, no new one is needed. 
    Until, because USB-C is the only one to be allowed in Europe, making it the only wired path to improvement there, the USB standards body starts adding to the specification, and the old cables become useless for taking advantage of those new capabilities.

The Law of Unintended Consequences will manifest.

• Reply 47 of 48
    daveflash said:
    this to me points to only one thing: Apple finally taking the EU seriously for once and also taking their previous letter of complaint that "any artificial (software) limitations the common port" are "not in line with the regulation" to heart. thus acting accordingly, so my suspicion is that all iPhone 15's will have fast data transfer and fast charging / power delivery / quick charge etc.

In the end this is better for the user, and in the long run better for the planet.
    If only USA could catch up to the laws and regulations of the EU on these things....
    If the EU was serious about eliminating ecological waste and standardization, they'd mandate a voltage, frequency, and power connector for all devices that plug in the wall so you wouldn't need a bag of dongles while traveling through the EU.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    mayfly said:

Video.

Either loading video on your phone (TV shows, movies) or getting video shot on the iPhone into your video editor.

Hopefully, it would also speed up syncing your iPhone to your Mac, though I think that syncs are dog slow because of syncing logic rather than transfer speed.