Vision Pro to ship with 1TB storage

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

In news that is not surprising for a data-hungry and high-priced device, Apple Vision Pro is said to come with 1TB of SSD storage on board.

AppleInsider

got an exclusive look in detail, and while far from flawless, it demonstrated high-quality images and AR. Consequently, then, it's not startling that there would be 1TB fast SSD storage inside.

French publication iPhoneSoft reports that it has been told by a developer session attendee, that Vision Pro's storage is listed in a System Settings, just as with the Mac, iPhone and iPad.

Specifically, this attendee reported that the Vision Pro he or she used came with 1TB. Unfortunately, while 1TB may have been chosen for attendees at the workshops, it doesn't necessarily follow that it will ship to the public with that, or that will be the "entry-level" configuration.

It does almost certainly mean that 1TB is at least an option, however. Apple could yet sell an edition with 512GB, or it could be that 1TB is just the lowest of the available storage options.

Apple may have not yet settled on its configurations, either, as the company does still have a lot to do before it's ready to ship the headset.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    No way it ships with 1tb.  I’m guessing a minimum of 256gb and maximum of 512gb.  Higher storage will be an option.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 18
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Hopefully it is 24 GB of RAM.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I am looking to learn the most effective approach for adding storage to the Vision Pros. Maybe the answer is as yet unformed if not unknown.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    I'd guess that since Tim Cook said "starting at $3,499" that's going to be the price with 1TB, with upgrades available at outrageous prices!
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I am looking to learn the most effective approach for adding storage to the Vision Pros. Maybe the answer is as yet unformed if not unknown.
    I imagine WiFi storage (be it iCloud, local network storage or WiFi hard disk) is the only option after you've purchased the device.
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    Apple Vision, Pro  will have minimum one 1TB storage and 24 gigs of memory (M2 maximum is 24 gigs), but the X factor is the R1 co-processing chip it could have another 24 gigs of memory and even more storage capacity.

The R1 chip really is the great unknown………
    edited August 2023 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    danox said:
    Apple Vision, Pro  will have minimum one 1TB storage and 24 gigs of memory (M2 maximum is 24 gigs), but the X factor is the R1 co-processing chip it could have another 24 gigs of memory and even more storage capacity.

R1 is a video processing chip, it just needs a small amount of fast memory for the framebuffers. 4k framebuffer is 3840 x 2160 x 5 bytes = 41MB, 12 cameras + displays is < 1GB of memory, could be 2GB to handle 8K, compositing buffers etc.

M2 needs more memory as it's running apps. Each app can use 2GB.

The SSD storage is for persistent data. It would be nice if the minimum is 1TB and for Apple to do this across their product line. SSD is really cheap now. 2TB PCIe SSD is ~$100, 1TB is $50-80:

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Internal-Gaming-MZ-V8P2T0B-AM/dp/B08RK2SR23
    https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Plus-PCIe-NAND-6600MB/dp/B098WKQRDL

Today Apple charges $400 for 0.75TB and $800 for 1.75TB, this is 8-10x higher than mainstream SSD prices, nearly $500/TB. If they charged 4x premium for SSD, they could make 512GB standard on entry Macs with 1TB a $200 upgrade and 2TB a $400 upgrade and 1TB would be standard on devices $2k+.
    Alex1Nnetroxmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    I gotta ask, 1TB of storage to store... what exactly?

Images?  Video?  Apps?  Data?

It makes no sense in a world of wifi and streaming.

Local storage is necessarily expensive from Apple and adds incredible cost.

One exception, Apple profits incredibly from it.  Margins of 200-500%, probably.   So, there's that.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    eriamjh said:

One exception, Apple profits incredibly from it.  Margins of 200-500%, probably.   So, there's that.
    I guessing that when you have 3D content, 3D anything, it requires a lot of storage. But 1 TB of storage is just a rumor right now.

Margin-wise, it is probably on the lower end of the spectrum. It has a lot of cameras and sensors, it has 2 4K+ OLED-on-silicon displays that will be supply constrained for 1 year, at least. It has 2 big chip packages in the M2 and R1. It has 2 state of the art multi-layer lens. It's the thing that warps the planar OLEDoS display into a >100° spherical field-of-view. It has compound curvature glass and aluminum frames, and pretty complex fabrics in the straps and light seal. The $3500 price looks like something pretty low margin to me.

So if you take a iPad Pro 12.9 1TB at $1800 and multiply by 2.5 or so for the VP hardware, that's probably a 30% margined price. But the VP hardware isn't commoditized yet. It won't have a good margin for another 2 years at least, end of 2025 time frame and assuming they ship million+ units by then.

Meta is basically freezing out competitors and setting incorrect expectations for how much headset hardware costs. They are dumping Quest hardware into the market for at least 3x lower than they should be priced.
    Alex1NFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Marvin said: 
    R1 is a video processing chip, it just needs a small amount of fast memory for the framebuffers. 4k framebuffer is 3840 x 2160 x 5 bytes = 41MB, 12 cameras + displays is < 1GB of memory, could be 2GB to handle 8K, compositing buffers etc. 
    Where does 5 bytes come from? From what I understand, a single pixel capable of 32-bit color (including alpha) only takes 4 bytes. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    eriamjh said:

But what if you want to be better than all the rest, whatever Apple is ultimately doing with the Apple Vision Pro they’re not looking to be the same as everyone else certainly not in capability, I don’t think it will ever be a product that’s less than two thousand dollars. 

Wi-Fi and streaming? AVP has to be able to do computations/storage on the device making something that has to be connected literally 24/7 in anyway, other than power/phone service is unacceptable. The goal should always be independent computing, on the desktop, laptop, smartphone, or Apple Vision Pro as much as possible. Note the iPad Pro, iPhone Pros and the Apple laptops have had 1TB capability for at least the last four years or more if you maxed out the storage capacities offered by Apple. The 12.9 iPad Pro, and the 11 Pro iPhone that I have, which are both four years old have 1TB storage, and I still haven’t used most of it, money well spent, upgrading to 1TB no regrets.
    CurtisHightwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Marvin said:
    danox said:

M2 needs more memory as it's running apps. Each app can use 2GB.

The SSD storage is for persistent data. It would be nice if the minimum is 1TB and for Apple to do this across their product line. SSD is really cheap now. 2TB PCIe SSD is ~$100, 1TB is $50-80:

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Internal-Gaming-MZ-V8P2T0B-AM/dp/B08RK2SR23
    https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Plus-PCIe-NAND-6600MB/dp/B098WKQRDL

Today Apple charges $400 for 0.75TB and $800 for 1.75TB, this is 8-10x higher than mainstream SSD prices, nearly $500/TB. If they charged 4x premium for SSD, they could make 512GB standard on entry Macs with 1TB a $200 upgrade and 2TB a $400 upgrade and 1TB would be standard on devices $2k+.

Cross shopping Apple? The new R1 processor combined with Apple software abilities is going to be very hard to match by the competition, that’s what being a vertical computer company means and if the Apple Vision Pro succeeds and it will, it will succeed on what it can do not whether the memory or the SSD, cost a certain amount of money, Apple research and development and curation cost money, like that 5k 27 inch Apple Studio Display monitor which year later is unmatched. (Dell and Samsung have swung and missed).

Apple definitely isn’t perfect and there are some things that are inexcusable like no iMac over 24 inches yet, the lack of video target display on iMac’s, or the WebCam on the Apple Studio Display not being the equal of an Pro iPhone camera at this late date.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,341member
    Just as the most exciting and useful thing about the iPhone is its excellent camera, the same will likely be true of the Vision Pro.  Many pay the same for an excellent DSLR camera kit today, so it's not like a $3k+ price point will be a deal-breaker for everyone.  

I really want to test out that "immersive experience" people are talking about, which makes you feel as if you are actually there.  To me, that's as ground-breaking as the move from B&W film to Color, or B&W TVs to Color, or from SD to HD.  Still images and 2D video we have today are great in that they bring make memories.  But an immersive experience helps you relive that memory in ways you never thought possible.  The only thing better would be to add smell and touch too.  Heck, thrown on taste, and you've basically got the Star Trek holodeck.  The only major limits to technological advancements are our own imagination and commitment to achieving the impossible.
    watto_cobraAlex_V
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mayflymayfly Posts: 385member
    tht said:
    I imagine WiFi storage (be it iCloud, local network storage or WiFi hard disk) is the only option after you've purchased the device.
    The most effective approach (and the only one) will be to max it out when you buy it. Prepare to bleed money.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    eriamjh said:

I'd say video, that usually needs the most, especially formats like ProRes. The iPhone has a minimum requirement of 256GB for doing 4k30 ProRes. Although Vision Pro will use HEVC (maybe AV1 too), ProRes 4k90 3D would have quite heavy storage requirements, could be as much as 10GB/minute.

SSD isn't expensive now and there were reports that Apple would bump base RAM levels next year, 8GB->12GB, 16GB->24GB. They can do the same with base SSD, 256GB->512GB, 512GB->1TB similar to what they do with iPhones/iPads. Then it would be standard for a premium device like Vision Pro to have 1TB entry storage.

Mainstream movies can be streamed but some people will prefer to download them as 4k 3D will probably be around 20GB = 30MBit and streaming can show blocky artifacts, which would be more noticeable on a room-sized display.
    netrox said:
    Marvin said: 
    Where does 5 bytes come from? From what I understand, a single pixel capable of 32-bit color (including alpha) only takes 4 bytes. 
    HDR video uses 40-bit color, sometimes higher (e.g 12-bits per channel).

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/10/20/system-requirements-hdr-video-capture-iphone-ipad/
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    tht said:
    RAM is power-hungry (relative to other components) which is why the iPhone has always shipped with less RAM than most people expected. I'd be surprised if that approach changes for the AVP. I would guess the plan is for anything that requires relatively large amounts of RAM or processing power to be handed off to a Mac.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 18
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,341member
    tht said:
    RAM is power-hungry (relative to other components) which is why the iPhone has always shipped with less RAM than most people expected. I'd be surprised if that approach changes for the AVP. I would guess the plan is for anything that requires relatively large amounts of RAM or processing power to be handed off to a Mac.
    I couldn't care less if it cut battery life is reduced.  The single biggest gripe I have with iPhones is the lack of RAM.  I absolutely hate it when I am reading something in an app, only to put my phone down for all of 3 minutes, allowing it to sleep, then when I pick it up again, the app reloads and the place in the article I was reading was lost.  Or, stupid FaceBook reloads and what I was reading was lost. I could go on and on about this, but I spare you.  I want more RAM regardless of the consequences. And that doesn't mean 24GB of RAM either.  They should be able to fit a few more GB of RAM in there without any serious battery life penalty.  

But all of this is moot until the actual phones come out.  

Speaking of which, I'm sick of rumor after rumor.  I just want to phones to be released and then the tech media to stop reporting on rumors for a few months, at least, so we all can take a breather.

What really ticks me off is reading through Flipboard stories in the morning of late, which all give "5 reasons to skip the iPhone 15."  Complete morons in journalism.  They are making the iPhone 16 out to be something so great that the unreleased 15 is worthless in comparison!  Then you see that all their cited reasons are ridiculous, especially since they are nothing but rumors anyway.  

Rumors and speculation has gotten out of hand.  I want to be pleasantly surprised again, like I was in the past at Apple events.  This isn't the fault of Apple.  It's the fault of both the tech media who publish the rumors, and the readers who demand the rumors.  Both are at fault.  Everyone should just ignore the rumors so we can all be surprised and wowed once a year with all the great tech, which of course includes more RAM too!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 18
    tht said:
    If it was a mobile device like an iPhone, I’d be apt to agree. The AVP is a room only or house only device, more like a laptop than a tablet or phone. The present design is not constrained by volume or weight either. 

If the device is successful, and there are people wearing it for long periods, not at a desk, I would expect Apple to make 4 and 8 hr batteries in short order. 

What will be constraining is that the AVP is a multi-windowing system including 3D objects in view. That type of usage really needs a lot of RAM. So 16 GB minimum, and preferably 24 GB, for that type of usage.